Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mid sized petrol car recommendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Octavia is a competitor to the likes of the Focus and Astra, not the Mondeo or Insignia.

Mondeo has a pretty decent engine but the interior is a let down, feels cheap and outdated.

I'd still take an Octavia any day over an insignia though.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I'd still take an Octavia any day over an insignia though.

The octavia compares very badly to the insignia in terms of refinement and comfort. Personally I think the interior is miles ahead too but that's obviously subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

zizou_ wrote: »
    The octavia compares very badly to the insignia in terms of refinement and comfort. Personally I think the interior is miles ahead too but that's obviously subjective.

Maybe so but at least it's got good build quality. The insignia isn't all that well built imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I've driven a hire car insignia in London and it's a very comfortable ride and fine interior. But there is a special place in hell reserved for the man that designed their electronic handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

How would you compare the 1.4 Passat to the Octavia or the Insignia?

I hear a lot of people cursing electronic handbrakes..have never used it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Slight bump, ended up not getting anything at the time so knocked another two years out of the old car, which is near fit for the scrapheap at this stage :). Eventually with a slightly bigger budget bought a 2.0 Mazda 6 SE-L up North. Ticked pretty much all the boxes and couldn't be more pleased with it so far, not a powerhouse but the 140hp unit is a capable enough engine for the size of the car.

If I keep this one as long I guess I'll be back looking for hovercraft recommendations or something circa 2026 :D
    El festino wrote: »
    Hi Marco_polo,
    Did you ever purchase a petrol car - in the same boat looking at 1.4t insignia or Passat - be interested to see how you go on?

Apologies not been on boards for quite a while, I'd definately discounted the Insignia based on engine research, had I not gone for the Mazda I think I would have went for either a Titanium Mondeo or the Passat. All cheaper options than what I finally went with it has to be said (Previous models of the above) Also looked at the newer 140 bhp Octavia but not much difference in price so the Mazda was the better option I think in my case.

Earlier on when the budget was lower I'd dismissed the older Octavia 2010+ because when you start to really look at the equipment on offer it pales into comparison beside say a Mondeo or Passat, even the top spec Elegance lacks features like Bluetooth, has far less additional airbags etc.

Advertisement