Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mid sized petrol car recommendations

Options
  • 20-06-2014 2:39am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys looking for any thoughts or suggestion on my next car, will be upgrading from a near 10 year old 1.6L focus to something a bit more spacious. Budget would be an absolute max of €15K but 12-13 preferable.

Don't think a diesel would be a great option (But open to the possibility all the same if needs must), as I would do maybe 10k miles in total during the year and most journeys short town ones, with anything longer on almost entirely on motorways/good national roads.

At the same time would like to get something reasonably economical, not underpowered but it doesn't have to be a rocket either. Not asking for much I know :)

The sort of petrol models I have been looking at so far seem pretty rare/non existent over here so willing to cross the channel if needs be.

At the minute I was leaning towards one of three different options below, which seem to me (within the bounds of my fairly limited knowledge) to offer a reasonable enough mix between reasonable BHP/MPG and emissions given the size of the cars and sort of mileage I'll be doing. I reckon I can import a decent mileage 2010/11 on budget.

The three model I am currently most leaning towards in order of current preference are (Links are more for info than serious purchase possibilities at the moment)

Ford Mondeo 1.6 ecoboost
    Vauxhaul Insignia 1.4T
    SKoda Octavia 1.4 TSI

Any significant drawbacks/problems with any of the above, or especially decent alternatives to the above that I haven't though of. Any comments or suggestions most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You're right in saying you need a petrol, given your annual mileage and type of driving. It's rare to get a facelift mondeo, (like the one you linked above) in petrol, pretty sure you won't find many, if any, in Ireland. Assuming that it's the same engine in the pre facelift ones (07 - 10) then it's one to keep away from, it's just doesn't have enough power to haul a car of that size around - lacks any life. That may not bother you, but if you are into your cars and want something that responds well, then it isn't one of the best petrols. Don't know that awful much about the other two linked.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You're right in saying you need a petrol, given your annual mileage and type of driving. It's rare to get a facelift mondeo, (like the one you linked above) in petrol, pretty sure you won't find many, if any, in Ireland. Assuming that it's the same engine in the pre facelift ones (07 - 10) then it's one to keep away from, it's just doesn't have enough power to haul a car of that size around - lacks any life. That may not bother you, but if you are into your cars and want something that responds well, then it isn't one of the best petrols. Don't know that awful much about the other two linked.

1.6T Ecoboost has 160bhp. That's plenty of power.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yeah from what I have read I was under the impression it was a newish engine circa 2011 or so.

Its definitely the one I am leaning most towards as it I recon it is probably the best compromise between power and economy, although on paper the 140BHP of the insignia sound like it would probably be decent enough.

Less inclined towards the Skoda as its looks a good bit weedier @122 BHP (but I suspect it might well be just about sufficent for its size), and yet its claimed mpg is only only about a par with the Mondeo.

Any similar alternative I am not thinking of? A good few other possibilities like the Passat etc seem to completely lacking in medium size petrol options.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Octavia is a competitor to the likes of the Focus and Astra, not the Mondeo or Insignia.

Mondeo has a pretty decent engine but the interior is a let down, feels cheap and outdated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Octavia is a competitor to the likes of the Focus and Astra, not the Mondeo or Insignia.

Mondeo has a pretty decent engine but the interior is a let down, feels cheap and outdated.

Thanks, I do realize it is a little bit smaller and than the other two, but I think it would be just about big enough and probably the minimum size I would go for (the Octavias larger boot capacity relative to its real class rivals is a big plus point for me). For parking around town it would definitely be the handiest and can be got closer to the ideal end of my budget.

For sure I am not a big fan of the Mondeo interior either, would definitely be aiming for a decent trim if possible with something other than the standard seats covers, which I think look absolutely awful, but almost everything else about it appeals to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,013 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would the Rapid not be more their rival?
    I would always have classed an Octavia as the same size of car as Mondeo's, Passats and Insignia's, but then again I have never owned or sat in one.

Woops, didn't even look at the bhp, just glanced at the 1.6 petrol, and off I went on my rant!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would the Rapid not be more their rival?
    I would always have classed an Octavia as the same size of car as Mondeo's, Passats and Insignia's, but then again I have never owned or sat in one.

The Rapid and Toledo are both based on the saloon Polo that is sold in certain countries. Octavia is based on the Golf and Superb on the Passat. The Octavia has a big boot but is nowhere near as spacious as a Passat or Insignia from the class above.

Thanks for the input so far bazz, do you reckon that the 122 BHP 1.4 TSI would have enough grunt if I did go for the Octavia?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It's fine in the Golf and Leon which are a tiny bit lighter but it's even decent in the heavier passat so I doubt the Octavia is anything less than decent.

There's also a 1.8tsi in the Octavia that would be worth a look if you're thinking of one and often come in the L&K spec which is very well equipped. It's a good engine but to be honest the Octavia itself is a bit noisy and tinny compared to the others you've mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Would the Laguna be a cheaper alternative with similar space to Mondeo or Insignia? I've about the same age car ('05) and choose it after deciding Focus-type car wouldn't be big enough. Very happy with it, looks good, loads of space, handles nicely, reasonable kit and good price. From what I gather, it's mostly pre '05 that had more trouble with reliability. Not the keenest on the post'08 look Laguna, but I presume it's in the car segment you're looking at. They might all be 1.5 diesel though.

I've really little idea what I'll replace my own car with in say 2 yrs time, as I'd like to avoid diesel (do even less mileage!), keep with a large family car rather than MPV/crossover and ideally not saloon but saloon-size with hatch like the Laguna.

Highly recommend staying with a hatch even if you go to large family car. Haul loads without having an ugly rear to the car like an estate. Handy for IKEA for one thing :) If you want something newish that's available second-hand right now, that probably means Mondeo diesel I'm guessing. Was a passenger recently in a decent spec one and it was quiet enough inside for a diesel, both on the motorway and driving slow.

Laguna would be an option for sure only that the petrol option seems to be a 2.0L , and would get hammered for 750 euro tax a year based on emmissions from what I can gather, which would eradicate any upfront saving on the price of the car over a few years

This would be a much easier decision if I did a bit more miles and had a different driving pattern :o, I'd have snapped up a Titanium trim 2.0 TCDI Mondeo like this in a flash, much nicer interior than the Edge/Zetec. Can't find that trim in the 1.6T Ecoboost on my budget unfortunately, mainly because it was only introduced in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1TIlOEYHvU

Review on youtube of the 1.4 Insignia.

We'll just forget that either of us said anything marco_polo :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1TIlOEYHvU

Review on youtube of the 1.4 Insignia.

Hmm thanks that a pretty informative review and not very glowing, his comment about where the turbo kicks and the 5th gear acceleration is sort of what I had concerns about. I think I can safely scratch it off the list without too many regrets.

We'll just forget that either of us said anything marco_polo :P

I though I had have gotten rid of the reply before you'd spot it, seems we are both pretty crap at ninja deletes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

marco_polo wrote: »
    Hmm thanks that a pretty informative review and not very glowing, his comment about where the turbo kicks and the 5th gear acceleration is sort of what I had concerns about. I think I can safely scratch it off the list without too many regrets.

Your welcome. He only did a review of the diesel there a little while back and it seemed to be a far superior in comparison.

Another alternative would be the Avensis 1.6 Valvematic 130 bhp, not many of them about though.

I've never drove a 1.4 tsi but from reading here they don't seem all that bad if you stick to the 122 bhp version as the 140 bhp has been know to give trouble although I heard they have improved in their newer models

Your welcome. He only did a review of the diesel there a little while back and it seemed to be a far superior in comparison.

Another alternative would be the Avensis 1.6 Valvematic 130 bhp, not many of them about though.

I've never drove a 1.4 tsi but from reading here they don't seem all that bad if you stick to the 122 bhp version as the 140 bhp has been know to give trouble although I heard they have improved in their newer models

Been looking at a few TSI videos and it does look pretty good acceleration wise, but most of the videos they are driving it pretty hard, I can't find a decent more conservative drive test. Its probably one to test drive but not sure it was launched in Ireland I can't see any used ones on Carzone all 1.2s, and would like to be sure if heading to the UK rather than going over in hope that I liked it.

I have seen that one, good suggestion and its exactly the sort of car I am looking for but a little on the expensive side as 2011 is the first year it appears, would probably be a runner early next year if I was willing to wait another 6 months or so.

• Advertisement

OP, how long do you plan on keeping the car? The reason I ask is because while I hate saying it but many of the car suggested here will be next to impossible to sell on over here due to the diesel obsession. With that in mind I would try and stick to something that would be easier to sell on such as the likes of the Avensis or Passat. They are available in petrol with low tax and are still sellable over here. While I would imagine the Volvo S60 is a nicer more interesting car I'd imagine you would be married to it over here.

Of course if you plan to own it for a long time then resale becomes less relevant.

OP, how long do you plan on keeping the car? The reason I ask is because while I hate saying it but many of the car suggested here will be next to impossible to sell on over here due to the diesel obsession. With that in mind I would try and stick to something that would be easier to sell on such as the likes of the Avensis or Passat. They are available in petrol with low tax and are still sellable over here. While I would imagine the Volvo S60 is a nicer more interesting car I'd imagine you would be married to it over here.

Of course if you plan to own it for a long time then resale becomes less relevant.

I see the Passat comes with that same 1.4 TSI unit as the Octavia didn't realise that, and the review below suggests that it isn't too bad in it, something I will stick on the list and definately a car I like the look of.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/passat/first-drives/volkswagen-passat-1.4-tsi

Not sure why but I am not a huge fan of the Avensis, but again aside from my slight lack of enthusiasm about the model itself, the 1.6L V-matic looks like a very suitable option, one I hadn't thought of and the price is certainly attractive.

Sometime I wonder if I should just buy a diesel that is a poor match for my needs just like the rest of the country seems to do :o

I tend to hang onto cars for a good long while, whatever I go for I'd be pretty likely to have for at least 5 years, so resale value at that point wouldn't be a huge issue for me I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,013 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Perhaps if more people start to get DPF, DMF issues, or the Government starts to raise tax of low emitting cars and lower it on pre2008 big engines, we might see the love affair with diesel fade slightly?

I do think small petrol engines have a future, but then again you have to be able to sell a car too. I am contemplating a 1.2TSi or 1.4TSi at present, but would fear about its resale value in 3 or 4 years.

Cheap motor tax will not be around forever and the diesel fad will pass as more and more petrol engines catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

OP wide has the 1.2tsi petrol 105 BHP in the octavia and its plenty adequate for the car even fully loaded so i'd imagine the 1.4tsi (which is rated very highly across all the VAG group) would be more than sufficient. To be honest in normal driving the 1.2 is plenty I'm quite happy driving it coming from a 2.0 lt turbo diesel in comparison to an older octavia 1.4 straight petrol she had which I would avoid driving like a plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

How're the 1.4 tsi golfs on petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,197 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Starting to zone in on a Passat or Mondeo althought probably still a couple of months from purchase, just don't like the look of the MKII Octavia so discounted that although I could pickup a nice Elegance model with low milage that woulld fit my needs just fine for a nice chunk less that the two below, 1.6 S60 is a little too pricey, and my irrational hate for all things Avensis means that 1.6 is out as well. The only other option I can think of is a petrol Quasquai which leaves me a little cold inside too tbh.

What I am currently looking at are
    2011 Mondeo 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium

Or
    2010 Passat 1.4 TSI Highline.

Any known issues with either? Guessing I'd be better off with the Passat?, the driver in me would prefer the Mondeo and I prefer its exterior look, but the Passat cabin wins hands down, factoring in travel costs it probably a no brainer for the VW (as the 1.6 Mondeo simply does not appear to exist here).

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

marco_polo wrote: »
    Starting to zone in on a Passat or Mondeo althought probably still a couple of months from purchase, just don't like the look of the MKII Octavia so discounted that although I could pickup a nice Elegance model with low milage that woulld fit my needs just fine for a nice chunk less that the two below, 1.6 S60 is a little too pricey, and my irrational hate for all things Avensis means that 1.6 is out as well. The only other option I can think of is a petrol Quasquai which leaves me a little cold inside too tbh.

What I am currently looking at are
    2011 Mondeo 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium

Or
    2010 Passat 1.4 TSI Highline.

Any known issues with either? Guessing I'd be better off with the Passat?, the driver in me would prefer the Mondeo and I prefer its exterior look, but the Passat cabin wins hands down, factoring in travel costs it probably a no brainer for the VW (as the 1.6 Mondeo simply does not appear to exist here).

Hi Marco_polo,
    Did you ever purchase a petrol car - in the same boat looking at 1.4t insignia or Passat - be interested to see how you go on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

El festino wrote: »
    Hi Marco_polo,
    Did you ever purchase a petrol car - in the same boat looking at 1.4t insignia or Passat - be interested to see how you go on?

I've driven the insignia 1.4t quite a bit and it's a bit of a mixed bag. It has 140 bhp which sounds plenty but it's gutless under 1800rpm. Very easy to get caught in the wrong gear so more gear changes than I'd like. If you keep it above 2k rpm it feels pretty lively and the engine is quiet so revving it a bit is no hardship. Very good motorway car and uses 6.5l/100km on long spins.

I haven't driven the vw much but it has less power but gets good reviews. With these small turbo petrols it's all about power delivery so make sure you get a decent test drive.

Advertisement