Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Train Your Dragon 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Probably my favourite film of the year so far. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Probably my favourite film of the year so far. Loved it.

Yeah it shoot's into my top 3 of the year so far, had the right amounts of laughs but also a lot of heart and a few tears
    The song Stock sings to his wife, the scene when Toothless (after he is controlled by the alpha male) is discarded by Hiccup is really touching after the killing of his father and the Viking funeral, not many children based films get that dark
    plus the crowd pleasing moments
    Hiccup and Toothless teaming up in the end to save Berk with Toothless becoming alpha make is rip roaring
    . You had a awesome baddie in Drago and some great action set pieces. Real shame this didn't do as well in America but it say's more about that audience then the film which goes down as one of the great Animated films around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Drago is a great villain. And there is great detail as to why he is bad rather than just saying here's a baddie, hate him.
    I cannot get the tune to The Dancing and the Dreaming out of my head. :-)

SarahBM wrote: »
    Drago is a great villain. And there is great detail as to why he is bad rather than just saying here's a baddie, hate him.
    I cannot get the tune to The Dancing and the Dreaming out of my head. :-)

Drago backstory was interesting that you could see why he was doing what he was doing. That's what I loved about the film it didn't do things simple and didn't speak down to it's audience. The screening I was at it was full of adults and little to no kids, which was amazing.

did you know that shane MacGowan wrote the lyrics to the song.

Really? It's a beautiful song .
    I wonder will the next series of Dragons Defenders of Berk be set after the film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I gave this a 10/10 which is rare for me, original only got an 8 ('only' I say!). I can't put my finger on it but it just hit all the buttons for me, not many animation movies can make me choke up like this one did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Going into parnell st tonight to see it before I'm reunited with the kids :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

First time at the cinema in about a year and well worth going to see. Perhaps not quite as good as the first but still an excellent film, part from some annoying voicework by Baruchel and Blanchett. I keep thinking the soundtrack is Sigur Ros...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I keep thinking the soundtrack is Sigur Ros...

You're close, Jonsi was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Looper007 wrote: »

did you know that shane MacGowan wrote the lyrics to the song.

I hadn't heard that before, what an inspired choice. I would never have guessed someone like MacGowan would get involved in a film like this. It's a beautiful song.

Roger Deakins was also involved in both the Dragon films as a visual consultant. I think his touch can be seen in the way the scenes unfold.

It's great to see an animated film like this - especially a sequel that could easily just be a by-the-numbers cash grab - go the extra mile and strive for something memorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Saw this last week, finally, and I adored it!!

Cartoon movies or Pixar etc that are out these days I am extremely fussy with but this really is up there with the classics imho, very very feelgood and actually gives you a tar in your eye at parts, almost as much as The Lion King scene - it reminded me of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Saw it last week. It was a great film but I wouldn't let my 4 year old see it. There are some scenes he wouldn't understand and would find troubling.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Perkinstock

saw this last Friday, i really enjoyed it, great film!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just finished watching the first and was blown away by it. Lovely cracker of a film. I'm definitely going to catch this very soon.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Saw this earlier loved it. The original though had the novelty and charm. For that it will always have a place in my heart. Such a wonderful film.
    So it was always going to be hard for this to live up it. It did a great job though. Even shocked me in places! For a while I was really worried they'd end the film on a cliffhanger.
    seriously wtf for a kids movie Stoick's death was incredibly dark. It was one thing to off the parent but to have toothless do it? And then have hiccup snare at toothless? Jesus it was gut wrenching for me. Can't imagine how little sprogs would have handled that especially when toothless is clearly a large part of the child relief element. Only two kids at the screening I was at and they didn't really seem very happy with that scene.
    Still, that scene made me love the film even more.

Now to listen to the soundtrack. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Going to see this tonight, just because there's nothing left to see!! Liked the first movie so well see how well this one compares

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

great movie,equal to the first in every way

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thebigblue

My son didn't like the first one. He's 3 1/2.
    While the family are away I'll get to see it. Not been to the cinema in months.

My daughter aged 2 also didnt care for it. She may be too young for it

Watching HTTYD now and going to go see HTTYD2 tomorrow. Again.
    I want to see it on the big screen again before its gone from the cinema. Love these films.

It's gonna be AMAZING! :)

I have to say I loved it even more second time round. I actually preferred the 2D to the 3D. I felt it was easier to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭jones

Great film music and animation really are top drawer!! Good to see dreamworks back with some decent animated stuff...since the first 2 shrek films i think they havent been great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Devostator

great movie,equal to the first in every way

yeah, great great great!

so happy to see that the rest of the world have some taste, making sure the foolish U.S market didn't bury this film. It's such a wonderful film, even better thanks to the third and fourth viewings of the film. It's amazing that it's still in cinema's after this long seen other big movies go after two weeks. the soundtrack is amazing, the fact it doesn't back off on tough moments The
    Death of Stoick by Toothless is shocking
    and that ending with Jonsi Where no one goes playing is epic. A ending of the trilogy is set for 2017 if it's as awesome as this then we're in for a threat.

Like it's predecessor this was a slow burner at Cinema's. One does have wonder though if Dreamwork didn't try to put it up against the summer blockbusters in the US how it would have fared.

Regardless, I'm chuffed to say it's gross over $600 million worldwide. Fully deserved.

Edit: 'slow burner is probably the wrong term'. In China, Italy, Australia and Britain it either doubled or trebled its performance from the original. 21% of that $600 mil come from the US. The rest is all worldwide gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Turtwig wrote: »
    Like it's predecessor this was a slow burner at Cinema's. One does have wonder though if Dreamwork didn't try to put it up against the summer blockbusters in the US how it would have fared.

Regardless, I'm chuffed to say it's gross over $600 million worldwide. Fully deserved.

Edit: 'slow burner is probably the wrong term'. In China, Italy, Australia and Britain it either doubled or trebled its performance from the original. 21% of that $600 mil come from the US. The rest is all worldwide gross.

Agreed, I'd almost put it as my favourite film of the summer along with Guardians. This has been a pretty decent blockbuster season, 22 Jump St, HTTYD2, Edge of Tomorrow, Guardians, Apes and Captain America 2 were all really good.

Just finished downloading my 1080p version for iTunes. Disappointingly the Google Play Movies HD version seems to be 480p? Can't tell for sure but the resolution is clearly lacking. Play Movies version was my first choice because I had prepaid phone credit to waste. iTunes looks the superior version in every way though. It has extra features too.

Im hoping to maybe get it as an xmas present. if not, I might buy myself a blu-ray dvd player in the sales after xmas and get the blu-ray.
    Cant wait to see it again.

Saw this recently and I smiled almost the whole way through. The music, the animation, and Jonsi's voice made the whole thing magical. Dean DeBlois should be placed among John Lasseter when it comes to animated movies.

It is also worth checking out his Sigur Ros documentary, Heima, and Jonsi's solo movie, Go Quiet. Guy has an eye for visual splendour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

How does it hold up against the first one? I loved the first one but am always sceptical of sequels.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    How does it hold up against the first one? I loved the first one but am always sceptical of sequels.

Original has that extra novelty factor. Hiccup and Toothless's forbidden friendship scene, for example. This is still very very good. Only thing I really don't like about either movies Is Baruchel. Honestly, I'd actually pay to see it the cinema again if Dreamworks redubbed Hiccup with some other actor.

Advertisement