Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Carbs, is this healthy/good/too much?

Options
  • 18-06-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

I am trying to lose a bit (a lot!) of weight, down about 3 stone already but I have started to get a bit slack, so I have decided to focus more on my diet than ever before.

The only carbs I am eating is a bowl of porridge.

Anyways this is a sample of what I am doing.

Morning: Wheatgrass, flaxseed mixed with water, bowl of porridge with milk, and mug of green tea

Mid morning about 10 grapes

Lunch: large lunch box of leaves, with some red onion and celery, half a lemon squeezed over it, 1 tin tuna infused with chilli, garlic and lemongrass (did this myself with a drop of coconut oil), and 2 hard boiled eggs.

Mid afternoon: more grapes.

Late dinner: large helping of leaves, some home made guacamole (chillis, avocado, garlic, coriander, diced red onion, lime juice), 2 bbq chicken fillets, 1 bbq sausage.

My breakfast will probably be the same most mornings, but my worry is that I am eating too much of the healthy stuff even if its healthy.

My lunch today is about 1 and a half chicken fillets, with a large lunch box of salad, 2 hard boiled eggs and an avocado too much.

Anyone want to critique or offer opinions on this. I have just had a realization that I am ridiculously uneducated when it comes to nutrition - hence why I have so much weight to lose.

Jaffa Cakes - Yay or Nay? 42 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    100% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well grapes are carbs too
    but yeah looks fine to me
    Check your calories as well to make sure they're not way too low or high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I think everyone about to embark on a diet, regardless of age, regardless of sex, regardless of height, regardless of race, that wants to succeed on their diet should undertake this one fundamental and perhaps, the most important, step of their weight loss journey....

.....DO NOT LISTEN TO BRUNO26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Thanks guys, just watched that video, pretty much re-enforces the realization I have come to lately myself. I was always told to eat loads of carbs for training and matchs and all that, and developed awful habits.
    Only the people telling me that were probably misinformed too.

Didn't realize grapes were carbs. I will finish off this punnet of grapes because they are delicious and sweet! and then I will try and find other snack options.

Any good sites or resources for checking calories Bluewolf?

I think everyone about to embark on a diet, regardless of age, regardless of sex, regardless of height, regardless of race, that wants to succeed on their diet should undertake this one fundamental and perhaps, the most important, step of their weight loss journey....

Care to develop?

I presume they don't mean go deep fry everything in hydrogenated vegetable oils, but to get good fats in the form of nuts and avocados and the like.

Just to add, the main goal behind my current weight loss was to try and eliminate sugar from my diet, which I did quite successfully, and energy levels went through the roof, and weight dropped.
    But need to keep challenging and working on this so I don't fall into a rut like the last 10 years!

• Advertisement

Ha! Listen to generic2012 instead- another anonymous person on the internet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Thanks guys, just watched that video, pretty much re-enforces the realization I have come to lately myself. I was always told to eat loads of carbs for training and matchs and all that, and developed awful habits.
    Only the people telling me that were probably misinformed too.

Didn't realize grapes were carbs. I will finish off this punnet of grapes because they are delicious and sweet! and then I will try and find other snack options.

Any good sites or resources for checking calories Bluewolf?

Well they're not bad! as long as you're not eating several boxes or anything I'm just saying your "my only carbs is porridge" thing wasn't quite true ^^

myfitnesspal is good

Eating carbs for matches sounds okay to me, if you do a lot of cardio you would need some, or at least I found I did anyway
    but if you aren't training I think it's easier to cut them down

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well they're not bad! as long as you're not eating several boxes or anything I'm just saying your "my only carbs is porridge" thing wasn't quite true ^^

myfitnesspal is good

Eating carbs for matches sounds okay to me, if you do a lot of cardio you would need some, or at least I found I did anyway
    but if you aren't training I think it's easier to cut them down

Humans don't need carbs to survive / thrive but can't survive without protein and fat. I heard one of Ireland's most well known personal trainers on Newstalk yesterday advising to eat Jaffa cakes or bread and jam before a match!

Jaffa cakes are pretty tasty in fairness

bluewolf wrote: »
    Jaffa cakes are pretty tasty in fairness

I guess this is why!

Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Plain Chocolate (19%) [Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Fat, Cocoa Butter, Butter Oil, Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithin, E476), Natural Flavouring], Sugar, Wheat Flour, Whole Egg, Water, Dextrose Monohydrate, Concentrated Orange Juice (8% Orange Juice Equivalent), Glucose Syrup, Vegetable Oil, Humectant (Glycerine), Citric Acid, Gelling Agent (Pectin), Emulsifier (E471), Raising Agents (Ammonium Bicarbonate, Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Dried Whole Egg, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Natural Orange Flavouring, Colour (Curcumin)

• Advertisement

Bruno26 wrote: »
    I guess this is why!

Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Plain Chocolate (19%) [Sugar, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Fat, Cocoa Butter, Butter Oil, Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithin, E476), Natural Flavouring], Sugar, Wheat Flour, Whole Egg, Water, Dextrose Monohydrate, Concentrated Orange Juice (8% Orange Juice Equivalent), Glucose Syrup, Vegetable Oil, Humectant (Glycerine), Citric Acid, Gelling Agent (Pectin), Emulsifier (E471), Raising Agents (Ammonium Bicarbonate, Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Dried Whole Egg, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Natural Orange Flavouring, Colour (Curcumin)

Sounds about right....mmmmmmm

Ingredients of an egg:

AQUA (75.8%), AMINO ACIDS (12.6%) (GLUTAMIC ACID
    (14%), ASPARTIC ACID (11%), VALINE (9%), ARGININE (8%), LEUCINE
    (8%), LYSINE (7%), SERINE (7%), PHENYLALANINE (6%), ALANINE (5%),
    ISOLEUCINE (5%), PROLINE (4%), TYROSINE (3%), THREONINE (3%),
    GLYCINE (3%), HISTIDINE (2%), METHIONINE (3%), CYSTINE (2%),
    TRYPTOPHAN (1%)); FATTY ACIDS (9.9%) (OCTADECENOIC ACID (45%),
    HEXADECANOIC ACID (32%), OCTADECANOIC ACID (12%),
    EICOSATETRAENOIC ACID (3%), EICOSANOIC ACID (2%), DOCOSANOIC
    ACID (1%), TETRACOSANOIC ACID (1%), OCTANOIC ACID (<1%),
    DECANOIC ACID (<1%), DODECANOIC ACID (<1%), TETRADECANOIC
    ACID (<1%), PENTADECANOIC ACID (<1%), HEPTADECANOIC ACID (<1%),
    TETRADECENOIC ACID (<1%), HEXADECENOIC ACID (<1%),
    EICOSENOIC ACID (<1%), DOCOSENOIC ACID (<1%), OMEGA-6 FATTY
    ACID: OCTADECADIENOIC ACID (12%), OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID:
    OCTADECATRIENOIC ACID (<1%), EICOSAPENTAENOIC ACID (EPA)
    (<1%), OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID: DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID (DHA) (<1%));
    SUGARS (0.8%) (GLUCOSE (30%), SUCROSE (15%), FRUCTOSE (15%),
    LACTOSE (15%), MALTOSE (15%), GALACTOSE (15%)); COLOUR (E160c,
    E160a), E306, E101; FLAVOURS (PHENYLACETALDEHYDE, DODECA-2-
    ENAL, HEPTA-2-ENAL, HEXADECANAL, OCTADECANAL, PENTAN-2-ONE,
    BUTAN-2-ONE, ACETALDEHYDE, FORMALDEHYDE, ACETONE); SHELL
    (E170), ALSO CONTAINS BENZENE & BENZENE DERIVATIVES, ESTERS,
    FURANS, SULFUR-CONTAINING COMPOUNDS AND TERPENES.

Ingredients of an egg:

AQUA (75.8%), AMINO ACIDS (12.6%) (GLUTAMIC ACID
    (14%), ASPARTIC ACID (11%), VALINE (9%), ARGININE (8%), LEUCINE
    (8%), LYSINE (7%), SERINE (7%), PHENYLALANINE (6%), ALANINE (5%),
    ISOLEUCINE (5%), PROLINE (4%), TYROSINE (3%), THREONINE (3%),
    GLYCINE (3%), HISTIDINE (2%), METHIONINE (3%), CYSTINE (2%),
    TRYPTOPHAN (1%)); FATTY ACIDS (9.9%) (OCTADECENOIC ACID (45%),
    HEXADECANOIC ACID (32%), OCTADECANOIC ACID (12%),
    EICOSATETRAENOIC ACID (3%), EICOSANOIC ACID (2%), DOCOSANOIC
    ACID (1%), TETRACOSANOIC ACID (1%), OCTANOIC ACID (<1%),
    DECANOIC ACID (<1%), DODECANOIC ACID (<1%), TETRADECANOIC
    ACID (<1%), PENTADECANOIC ACID (<1%), HEPTADECANOIC ACID (<1%),
    TETRADECENOIC ACID (<1%), HEXADECENOIC ACID (<1%),
    EICOSENOIC ACID (<1%), DOCOSENOIC ACID (<1%), OMEGA-6 FATTY
    ACID: OCTADECADIENOIC ACID (12%), OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID:
    OCTADECATRIENOIC ACID (<1%), EICOSAPENTAENOIC ACID (EPA)
    (<1%), OMEGA-3 FATTY ACID: DOCOSAHEXAENOIC ACID (DHA) (<1%));
    SUGARS (0.8%) (GLUCOSE (30%), SUCROSE (15%), FRUCTOSE (15%),
    LACTOSE (15%), MALTOSE (15%), GALACTOSE (15%)); COLOUR (E160c,
    E160a), E306, E101; FLAVOURS (PHENYLACETALDEHYDE, DODECA-2-
    ENAL, HEPTA-2-ENAL, HEXADECANAL, OCTADECANAL, PENTAN-2-ONE,
    BUTAN-2-ONE, ACETALDEHYDE, FORMALDEHYDE, ACETONE); SHELL
    (E170), ALSO CONTAINS BENZENE & BENZENE DERIVATIVES, ESTERS,
    FURANS, SULFUR-CONTAINING COMPOUNDS AND TERPENES.

Do Jaffa cakes pop out of a hens ass?!

Do Jaffa cakes pop out of a hens ass?!

No. And carbs don't make you fat. Everything cleared up?

No. And carbs don't make you fat. Everything cleared up?

Ha - You just compared eggs to Jaffa cakes.

They do.

Please explain why almost anyone in here who offers an opinion to someone trying to lose weight/fat recommends a reduction in carbohydrates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Jaysus I'd fecking love a Jaffa cake!

Because it's a means to reduce calories, calories make you fat. You seem a bit out of touch. The nut jobs you are linking in blog posts and youtube videos say to replace carbs with fat while people here have the common sense to say lower carbs and leave it add that.

Random boards member: take out fizzy drinks.
    Taubes, Sisson, Wolfe, tin foil hat brigade: take out fizzy drinks....and replace with stick of butter.

Essien wrote: »
    Jaysus I'd fecking love a Jaffa cake!

Have you a death wish!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Have you a death wish!?

This is true, I once ate a packet of jaffa cakes in one sitting and I am now dead.

Because it's a means to reduce calories, calories make you fat. You seem a bit out of touch. The nut jobs you are linking in blog posts and youtube videos say to replace carbs with fat while people here have the common sense to say lower carbs and leave it add that.

Taubes, Sisson, Wolfe, tin foil hat brigade: take out fizzy drinks....and replace with stick of butter.

Bad calories make you fat. I refer you once again to Ancel Keys! Saturated / healthy fats are good for us. If people ate more fat they wouldn't crave the bad calories/ carbs that make you fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The OP was eating too much.

"Eat loads of carbs on match days and training" gets trotted out with no advice on how much and people think they just need to fill their boots with carbs.

Therein lies the problem.

The OP was eating too much.

"Eat loads of carbs on match days and training" gets trotted out with no advice on how much and people think they just need to fill their boots with carbs.

Therein lies the problem.
    Hit the nail on the head. That was it, have a few wine gums etc.
    Load up on carbs the days before a game, and all that.

I really lowered that over the last year, but was still eating a bit, one of my favourite pre training carb meals was peanut butter and jam sandwich mmmm.

now, I just go training and eat after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hit the nail on the head. That was it, have a few wine gums etc.
    Load up on carbs the days before a game, and all that.

I really lowered that over the last year, but was still eating a bit, one of my favourite pre training carb meals was peanut butter and jam sandwich mmmm.

now, I just go training and eat after it.

OP just a few comments
    * You've lost 3 stone, well done; you obviously have corrected something and know what you are doing.
    * Nobody knows your body better than you. If you learned something that works, by accident or by taking on advice, stick to it.
    * You eat a lot of whole foods and obviously cook; your a lot of the way there
    * What works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa

I think you post in cycling forum and I will be starting a thread there soon on cycling and food. Over the years I've gotten more and more interested at your typical cyclist/sportive rider and their struggles with weight. My thread will generate more questions than answers but it may interest you

10 months into a 12 month experiment on eating high fat low carb to power ultra long distance cycling and will at end detail MY experiences. I should add I've never been overweight and don't run that badly on high carb.

However most guys I know that cycle, other than the skinny mountain goat types, struggle somewhat with weight and are convinced that high carb is the only way to power cycling. I know guys who do race the ras and despite cycling 400km plus a week struggle with weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Bad calories make you fat. I refer you once again to Ancel Keys! Saturated / healthy fats are good for us. If people ate more fat they wouldn't crave the bad calories/ carbs that make you fat.

Please stop posting in here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Jimmyie

bahahha looks like there's a lot of tension between posters here.

Jimmyie wrote: »
    bahahha looks like there's a lot of tension between posters here.

It's the lack of jaffa cakes

Please stop posting in here.

Why? Have you a vested interest in this area?

Butter -You obviously haven't read Sisson and Wolf either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jaffa cakes are my biggest weakness.

If they are in the house, they are getting eaten full stop. I'd get through 1 or 36 and barely break a sweat.

Truly the devils creation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Jaffa cakes are my biggest weakness.

If they are in the house, they are getting eaten full stop. I'd get through 1 or 36 and barely break a sweat.

Truly the devils creation.

There was a time when I was probably worse, jaffa cakes and milkados.

Don't know why, and haven't heard anyone else report it, but upping fat made it very easy for me to cut out such stuff. Lots of lads really struggle to cut sugar.

Have seen the opposite to, when people are advised to reduce fat, sweet tooth often gets worse.

Advertisement