Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seth Rollin's new ring attire and Smackdown Spoilers 20th June

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,018 ✭✭✭✭CSF

One thing to give WWE credit for, is I think they've done a decent job of making Rollins into an actual heel, rather than the Cesaro/Wyatt type who the crowd cheer for anyway.

Dean Ambrose is the exact person to put someone feuding against if you wanna make sure that the heel is not the popular one in the feud.

2 months plus feuding with him will put Rollins in exactly the place he needs to be for the future rather than the Cesaro heel/face limbo (nobody really cares what dastardly acts Cesaro inflicts on Sheamus or RVD) that is doing him no favours and the same one that Wyatt would probably also be in if he wasn't so good at playing the heel.

Bray Wyatt is more likely to suffer if WWE ever try to turn the Wyatt Family face, for me that is something that should never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I actually like it, it's different and it'd just look weird having him in trunks and boots

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

CSF wrote: »
    One thing to give WWE credit for, is I think they've done a decent job of making Rollins into an actual heel, rather than the Cesaro/Wyatt type who the crowd cheer for anyway.

Dean Ambrose is the exact person to put someone feuding against if you wanna make sure that the heel is not the popular one in the feud.

2 months plus feuding with him will put Rollins in exactly the place he needs to be for the future rather than the Cesaro heel/face limbo (nobody really cares what dastardly acts Cesaro inflicts on Sheamus or RVD) that is doing him no favours and the same one that Wyatt would probably also be in if he wasn't so good at playing the heel.

Bray Wyatt is more likely to suffer if WWE ever try to turn the Wyatt Family face, for me that is something that should never happen.
    To be fair, put anyone against Cena and they will be cheered. When Cena and Rusev finally face each other, Rusev will be cheered. That's one of the reasons I didn't like the feud when it started. You do not want one of your biggest heels against your most hated superstar in the 18-60+ demographic (Cena is that hated you can't even have an age limit for hime). if Wyatt was doing the same thing he is doing in WWE for any other promotion he would be a proper heel. Hell, he was a proper hell until his feud with Cena.

Also, Rollins is so hated (kayfabe wise-heck, I think we were all pretty shocked and annoyed at him for turning on The Shield) because they have been built so well for 18 months. Cesaro was a face before he got Heyman which, in WWE eyes, turned him heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    To be fair, put anyone against Cena and they will be cheered. When Cena and Rusev finally face each other, Rusev will be cheered. That's one of the reasons I didn't like the feud when it started. You do not want one of your biggest heels against your most hated superstar in the 18-60+ demographic (Cena is that hated you can't even have an age limit for hime). if Wyatt was doing the same thing he is doing in WWE for any other promotion he would be a proper heel. Hell, he was a proper hell until his feud with Cena.

Also, Rollins is so hated (kayfabe wise-heck, I think we were all pretty shocked and annoyed at him for turning on The Shield) because they have been built so well for 18 months. Cesaro was a face before he got Heyman which, in WWE eyes, turned him heel.

The fans are not cheering for Wyatt just because he is facing Cena IMO, he is also a captivating personality - Wyatt is getting people singing along with him (even when Cena's not involved). This puts him in an awkward spot. A true heel wants to alienate the crowd but in his role as cult leader, Wyatt wants the crowd to follow him.

Also, Cesaro was not a face before linking up with Heyman, he was a Real American (which was always an odd fit). The real problem with Cesaro is that the Giant Swing got a pop, and he continued to do it, and then he was booked to win the BR at Wrestlemania cleanly. Why should we hate him? He's clearly very good at what he does (so not a cowardly heel) but he doesn't intimidate enough to be a monster heel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Caesaro was really badly handled the last months, he's only a heel purely by association with other heels, and at least half the time Heymann wasn't even acknowledging him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

That actually reads like quite a good Smackdown, I might actually have to watch it this week. Nice to see a rare Ziggler victory (though it will probably only lead to a title shot defeat).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Wasn't made about Smackdown too many squashes and the main event which was fine relied too much on "lookit the star power" lads.

Hate how by the numbers WWE the Ambrose-Rollins stuff is. Distraction finishes ZZZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

You cant blame Cena for it. Wyatt was getting cheered against the Shield too. I guess they are also hated? He also got some (but not as many) cheers against Bryan. He's the opposite of hated. There is a common strand there and it isnt Cena.

Wyatt is just a shit heel. He/WWE are making the character too likable to be an effective heel. It isnt his fault, it's WWE's inability to book a heel. There are three good heels in WWE right now. Stephanie McMahon, Triple H and Brock Lesnar. Notice how one never wrestles and the other two rarely wrestle.

Even Paul Heyman gets cheered too often to be considered a good heel today. It's funny, if he wasnt so good, he would be a great heel but he is just too good at his job to really hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You cant blame Cena for it. Wyatt was getting cheered against the Shield too. I guess they are also hated? He also got some (but not as many) cheers against Bryan. He's the opposite of hated. There is a common strand there and it isnt Cena.

Wyatt is just a shit heel. He/WWE are making the character too likable to be an effective heel. It isnt his fault, it's WWE's inability to book a heel. There are three good heels in WWE right now. Stephanie McMahon, Triple H and Brock Lesnar. Notice how one never wrestles and the other two rarely wrestle.

Even Paul Heyman gets cheered too often to be considered a good heel today. It's funny, if he wasnt so good, he would be a great heel but he is just too good at his job to really hate him.
    Well even though I do think putting anyone against Cena (even Rusev) will make them pretty much an instant face, I have to agree with this. Also I think Legend_DIT put the fault with Wyatt best-he's a heel who is a cult leader. Instead of trying to make the crowd hate him he wants to make the crowd join him. Which he has done quite effectively to be fair!

I'd also argue that Rollins is a good heel. He is getting booed pretty much everywhere which is because of how WWE actually made us care about The Shield so the turn was shocking. Which is really the only way to make a proper heel. You have to have the crowd invested in a character emotionally and then for someone to turn on him (Triple H and Stephanie did that to Bryan). So I'm hoping WWE realise this and make proper heels by doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

God, Cena's goofy promo was so bad. He's like Ace Ventura but with an even worse fashion sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

God, Cena's goofy promo was so bad. He's like Ace Ventura but with an even worse fashion sense

No need to insult the great ace ventura there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I took it that the Ambrose jeans and wife beater combo is just meant to be his “street clothes” because he’s been attacking Rollins out of the blue and being put in impromptu matches, no? Hope so anyway, unless you have a hillbilly gimmick, jeans don’t work.

Don’t have a problem with the Rollins gear, it’s unique and a subtle nod to super heroes (The Architect would not look out of place in a comic) / evolving (Excuse the pun) from the swat gear. And he’s not the first pretty boy to wear a tight pair of pants. Michaels wore chaps to the ring for 20 years for Christ’s sake. And as Nash once said, how long was Bret getting away with wearing pink.

Presume they are keeping the Totally Buff / show as much flesh as possible look for Reigns at some point.

It’s gas how vital a guy’s look can be though. I remember as a kid even noticing if someone stopped wearing wristbands or elbow pads and thinking he’d ruined his career.

Advertisement