Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been suffering from anxiety and panic disorder for the last few months. Today my doctor prescribed Citalopram. I'm just relieved that finally I'm doing something "real" about the problem.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences, good or bad, when taking this to treat anxiety?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

maplesyrup wrote: »
    I've been suffering from anxiety and panic disorder for the last few months. Today my doctor prescribed Citalopram. I'm just relieved that finally I'm doing something "real" about the problem.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences, good or bad, when taking this to treat anxiety?

I found a website called crazymeds today which seems to give quite good advice on different meds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

InReality wrote: »
    I found a website called crazymeds today which seems to give quite good advice on different meds.

Is that a dotcom or net op what?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Its ".us" . Its a bit whacky but I found it accurate for what I'm taking ( lamital )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks - factual sites always welcome. I've been deaded by doctor Google way too many times.

I'm feeling really loopy at the minute.. Very hard to concentrate which is a pain.. Oh well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I feel for you gremlin, I find it hard to describe the place I'm in. It's like purgatory or some sort of suspension between reality that I've always known and what my experience is at present. Just process after process running and running. I thought I knew what it was to be numb before. I didn't think you could get more numb than numb but seemingly you can. Everything is up in the air, it's gone so far it wouldn't even be accurate to say that it's 'bad' any more.

Strange times indeed. As I've said before, if in fact that Life Event comes along and rocks me to my foundations and bursts me open I will be set up for life. Like imagine the appreciation for simple things someone who escapes North Korea has. Having a cigarette on a step with a breeze blowing would be nirvana to them. I think I'll have that if I pop out the other side, and I won't suffer any more but it will take a Big Thing to happen.

I get ya.. I can be somewhat like that the odd time.. Mostly though I fly and crash in widely differing timelines. People don't know from hour to hour which 'me' they are going to get. It's hard on them too because I think it really can be like meeting different people..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Suffer of anxiety for many many years. Now in my late 20s, I want to travel abroad for one year, however, I feel I can't because of my anxiety. Has anyone been in this position?

GeneralC wrote: »
    Suffer of anxiety for many many years. Now in my late 20s, I want to travel abroad for one year, however, I feel I can't because of my anxiety. Has anyone been in this position?

Are you doing anything for it, therapy, medication, or mindfulness at all?

Going to see a psychologist for the last 8 years or so. No meds, can't take them because they affect another health issue of mine. Tried the mindfulness before, didn't stick at it though.

Always viewed this section of boards, but never posted on it, great to see it here :)

• Advertisement

Going to see a psychologist for the last 8 years or so. No meds, can't take them because they affect another health issue of mine. Tried the mindfulness before, didn't stick at it though.

Always viewed this section of boards, but never posted on it, great to see it here :)

Perhaps try mindfulness again, though first off, have you discussed this with your psychologist, if they do cbt or other such therapies they could be of great use to you. I'm in no way medically qualified to advise, but your psych should help..

Oh yes, welcome to the thread.. :)

Yes, practicing CBT, with one of the top psychologists in Ireland, made progress in the last 8 years, but still not comfortable to tackle going away for one year (out of my safety zone)

It's great that you under such qualified care.. Perhaps you can work on 'controlling' your journey? Of course i'm quite stuck in a rut, very much do as i say not as i do..

There have at least been attempts at meet ups, i haven't gone.. Usually not available, and even then i think my nerves would fail me..

Yes, it's funny, we seem to be great at telling other people what to do to combat the anxiety, but we never seem to adapt that practice to ourselves.

I think the best advice I have been given in 8 years of therapy, is not to be afraid of the anxiety, rather to invite it in and just stay with it, don't fight against it, fighting against it will only make it worse.

Are you on any meds, going to therapy?

On meds, awaiting more therapy. Public system and myself not always getting along too well.. :-/

Yes, the public system can be a joke in fairness. Are you getting out and about, managing everyday activities?

Yes, i have a job, i find it a necessity, if left to myself it turns dark quickly sometimes, have self-harmed at various points.. Afraid i have to go now, past my bedtime, i work nights..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I think the best advice I have been given in 8 years of therapy, is not to be afraid of the anxiety, rather to invite it in and just stay with it, don't fight against it, fighting against it will only make it worse.

It can be so hard not to fight against the anxiety though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

It can be so hard not to fight against the anxiety though.

At times it takes over my existence.

At times it takes over my existence.

I think we can all relate to that unfortunately.

• Advertisement

One thing that really guts me about it is that there could have been some good friends along the way but because I freeze there's no interaction and the opportunity is lost..

It's not easy to just stay with it, but, next time you have a panic attack or feeling anxious, stay with it and observe what happens. Your anxiety will go up and down, and you may feel uncomfortable, but over time, it will become easier, and you will soon realise it has no strength and it diminishes.

When my anxiety strikes, I find it nearly impossible to ignore it. My instinct at this stage is to either try to ignore it or to think pleasant thoughts. Embracing it would be the hardest thing to do.

I know it's tough, but you must "embrace" it to overcome it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

When my anxiety strikes, I find it nearly impossible to ignore it. My instinct at this stage is to either try to ignore it or to think pleasant thoughts. Embracing it would be the hardest thing to do.

anxiety by its nature is not meant to be ignored. Its fight or flight. In order to relieve the anxiety you must achieve something that makes it stop.

Of course you can use chemicals and psychologists try words, for people with severe anxiety like ocd, chemicals work best.

Anxiety is an awful feeling alright. Hate it when you cant get a good nights sleep.

I don't think you need "chemicals" to treat severe anxiety. However, some people may need them.

For myself, I wasn't able to function normally in life (leaving the house, working etc) without medication. Medication took away the very worst of the low mood and anxiety. It's still there but to a much smaller degree which, although not nice at all, is nothing compared to what I had back when I wasn't medicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I've now reinstated my beliefe trust your gut instinct. Today someone really put that to the test. I knew in my heart of hearts I shouldn't have trusted them, I was right.
    anxiety through the roof.

That's the thing there are many approaches that can be used and they can be used separately or combined - with illnesses like this it is often very individual treatment unlike a burn where there is a set procedure in most cases. No wonder it's such a massive talking point in our world. What works for one can often do nothing for another or even worsen things, even if outwardly they appear to be somewhat similar.

• Advertisement

That's the thing there are many approaches that can be used and they can be used separately or combined - with illnesses like this it is often very individual treatment unlike a burn where there is a set procedure in most cases. No wonder it's such a massive talking point in our world. What works for one can often do nothing for another or even worsen things, even if outwardly they appear to be somewhat similar.

Nicely said there G

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement