Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Took 5mg of diazepam. Hopefully will calm my brain down and might get a peaceful night.

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

mg1982 wrote: »
    Took 5mg of diazepam. Hopefully will calm my brain down and might get a peaceful night.

If you look at bright screens soon before you go to bed you won't be able to sleep. However, don't let my statement hinder your use of boards.ie. :p

If you look at bright screens soon before you go to bed you won't be able to sleep. However, don't let my statement hinder your use of boards.ie. :p

Im terrible for that, on labtop playstation or watching telly till 2am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Im terrible for that, on labtop playstation or watching telly till 2am.

I'm a divil for gawping at the phone in bed.

heyday30 wrote: »
    I'm a divil for gawping at the phone in bed.

When sleep isnt coming it passes the time. Must get back to reading books. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Oddly enough, bright screens just before going to sleep doesn't bother me too much.

When sleep isnt coming it passes the time. Must get back to reading books. :o

That's true too. Nothing worse than staring at the walls!

Oddly enough, bright screens just before going to sleep doesn't bother me too much.

Me either. It seems to help me doze off if anything.

Me either. It seems to help me doze off if anything.

Look at Facebook be asleep in 20 mins lol

When I can't sleep I take out my laptop and Father Ted box set, then I decide which episode to watch. However my choice doesn't matter. Most likely due to the fact that I end up watching EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Father Ted can be watched over and over again unlike the likes of Mrs. Brown's Boys. I am not a Father Ted addict and I can see no other reason to suggest otherwise.

Off-topic...

• Advertisement

When I can't sleep I take out my laptop and Father Ted box set, then I decide which episode to watch. However my choice doesn't matter. Most likely due to the fact that I end up watching EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Father Ted can be watched over and over again unlike the likes of Mrs. Brown's Boys. I am not a Father Ted addict and I can see no other reason to suggest otherwise.

Off-topic...

Apt user name so.

heyday30 wrote: »
    Look at Facebook be asleep in 20 mins lol

Not on facebook thankfully but i know what you mean.

Off-Topic

I'm having awful trouble sleeping. Tomorrow, today in fact, I'm going to be kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I have started to draw. Never previously have I quite taken to the art of journal keeping, but this time is different because I'm drawing.

As human beings we are nothing more than the sum of our experiences. The nature and nurture argument is nullified because the sum of them determine how we experience life. Our ability to work, to love, our personality and how we interact with the world, they all derive from the sum of what we have experienced to date.

So my journal does not need a dialogue, because it is me. It simply needs my experiences. Whether my entries correspond to events is irrelevant, because it is my experience of those events that needs to be collected, and that can be done by drawing the personal experience of the day; of the sum of the day's events. Then I can add my thoughts to it. I can expand and put all the stabs and the slashes of my mind on the page in written sections. Because my diary is for me, it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else. It makes sense to me. It's cathartic to take the thoughts, the images burned across my mind and give them substance. My diary makes sense to me and to me alone. And I revel I'm it.

Some of you may also enjoy drawing your day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I have started to draw. Never previously have I quite taken to the art of journal keeping, but this time is different because I'm drawing.

As human beings we are nothing more than the sum of our experiences. The nature and nurture argument is nullified because the sum of them determine how we experience life. Our ability to work, to love, our personality and how we interact with the world, they all derive from the sum of what we have experienced to date.

So my journal does not need a dialogue, because it is me. It simply needs my experiences. Whether my entries correspond to events is irrelevant, because it is my experience of those events that needs to be collected, and that can be done by drawing the personal experience of the day; of the sum of the day's events. Then I can add my thoughts to it. I can expand and put all the stabs and the slashes of my mind on the page in written sections. Because my diary is for me, it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else. It makes sense to me. It's cathartic to take the thoughts, the images burned across my mind and give them substance. My diary makes sense to me and to me alone. And I revel I'm it.

Well said there Scrim.

I might give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

That is a really cute idea Scrimshanker. It sounds very therapeutic. I have a diary which I write in from time to time. I'm not in any way artistic so writing suits me. Colouring books for adults have become popular recently. They are meant to be good for mindfulness and relaxation. I have one ordered at the moment so I'll see how that goes.

Good idea. It's all about getting the emotion...the thoughts out. If by doing so with drawings and scribbles helps then that's fantasic.

Sometimes it's hard to find words or there's no words for what one might be feeling. Might try that scrim. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I feel really stressed at the moment. I have so much tension in my shoulders and back it hurts when I sit up. I had an initial assessment for a dbt type programme today. She said I would be suited for it. However I have to go back for another assessment in a few weeks. I'm worried that I won't get to do the programme as there are a large number of referrals for this programme.

Also I am sick of people critising me and telling me what to do. Especially on ****e that doesn't even matter.

This might be going off-topic but does anyone here think about Heaven and Hell and that sort of stuff? And do you ever think about that when you are depressed? I personally don't care what happens in this life as long as I am reunited with all of my loved ones in the next life, forever and ever and ever and ever and ever......

I don't suffer from depression, what's the point? If there is nothing at the end of it, what's the point in living a good life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

This might be going off-topic but does anyone here think about Heaven and Hell and that sort of stuff? And do you ever think about that when you are depressed? I personally don't care what happens in this life as long as I am reunited with all of my loved ones in the next life, forever and ever and ever and ever and ever......

I don't suffer from depression, what's the point? If there is nothing at the end of it, what's the point in living a good life?

I do, Truth be told i'm terrified of old age and death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

At which point in our lives are we going to wake up and realise there is a bigger world out there? When we're in our 80s still worrying about our problems? life will have passed us then.

I am in my 20s, and already feel 'old'. I see changes in my body, probably from age or maybe it's from the strain of aniexty. I feel I have missed out on so much already. I am sure there is people on here who have had this illness longer than I have (9 years). At which point do you we put a stop to this? We ultimately control this anxiety, we're the ones letting it cripple us, harsh but true. Yes we can take medication, go to therapy, but at the end of the day, YOU and only YOU can control this. We can all talk about this until we're blue in the face and exhausted, but you can change this.

I want everyone on here to write in one sentence what they're actually worrying about, what thoughts provoke that anxiety, write it down, and let everyone look at it. Let's see if we can make sense of all this....

I do think of it a fair bit. When i was younger if i thought if i topped myself i would rot in hell for eternity which i know is bs. Nobody knows what happens when you die, it wouldnt matter to me if there was an afterlife or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 gemmaS6988

I found xantac worked better apologies for the bad spelling had another one but can't remember name and it knocked me out totally woke up in the mind of the night and it was the same as being drunk I try and get the name of it

I found xantac worked better apologies for the bad spelling had another one but can't remember name and it knocked me out totally woke up in the mind of the night and it was the same as being drunk I try and get the name of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

There is a support group on this evening at 6pm in the Mater Hospital on 63 Eccles St. The group is primarily aimed at people with Social Anxiety, but does not exclude other anxiety illnesses. I know it's short notice for this evening, but keep it in mind for the future,it's on every two weeks - I'll be there

gemmaS6988 wrote: »

I think xanax is the name of it. It's pretty strong alright. I find the diazepam better.

I think xanax is the name of it. It's pretty strong alright. I find the diazepam better.

Yeah it has a fairly strong effect alright. I find it good for very quickly relieving the worst of the anxiety to let me get on with what I want to do. If my anxiety is really very high it doesn't make me remotely sleepy, but if it's high rather than severe it makes me sleepy

Yeah it has a fairly strong effect alright. I find it good for very quickly relieving the worst of the anxiety to let me get on with what I want to do. If my anxiety is really very high it doesn't make me remotely sleepy, but if it's high rather than severe it makes me sleepy

For me it's the only thing that can stop anxiety in its tracks is benzos. I know doctors are very much against prescribing them but they work for me. And I have tried pretty much every kind of therapy.

• Advertisement

For me it's the only thing that can stop anxiety in its tracks is benzos. I know doctors are very much against prescribing them but they work for me. And I have tried pretty much every kind of therapy.

Yeah they are very effective. The SSRI stuff seems to do nothing for me but xanax actually works.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement