Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

NightOwl88 wrote: »
    Personal experience with lexicon(lexipro)is it has nasty withdrawals for mayb a week to ten days,but there not as bad as first week on them,like a very very long hangover without the good night/day/week beforehand..!? Found vitamin b12 and magnesium are a big help... Hope all you folks doin good on here,I'm not glad to no that other folks goin thru what I am,but it helps knowing I'm not a freak...sorry if I'm rambling,awake since Tuesday mornin @ 5.30!!! Wish I felt tired,but enjoying re reading Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy collection! Lotta love to all u folks...

Hi, medication can be very problematic for some, there's so many types, and everyone's mind is different too. I found my dosage of prozac had to be upped and upped until i hit ceiling, the seroquel added and upped to where i'm mostly functional without too much zombie-like afflictions, and no, you're very far from on your own, welcome to the cave of crazy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

thought I'd post cos I've been a bit quiet of late. I've quit my job at long last and feel better for it. There are still some silly loose ends to tie up but I just keep reminding myself when emails ping in that I can deal with it in my own time and it's liberating. I've also got an injury and while it's totally ironic that I would have loved an excuse for time off work recently and then get hurt while unemployed, I'm glad that it means I can just rest and not stress about all the stuff I have to do.I'm trying to be good to myself and be less pressured.

Am making plans to emigrate, and have a new job lined up (helps the quitting aspect no end), though there are some stressors there too - the grass isn't immediately greener but that's ok. I've been kinda burying my head in the sand re:contacting some people about my plans but bit the bullet there and it feels like such a weight off. It's all due to my negative thinking patterns that I shy away from these situations and then sometimes make them worse.

I was a bit meh and considered taking some meds, which was probably cos now I can deal with being drowsy and just felt the need to switch off. I havent taken any yet though.

Hope everyone is doing ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

stinkle wrote: »
    Hope everyone is doing ok.

Hope everything goes well for you there Stinkle! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ZenPit

Try talking here or keeping a personal journal where you can put your more "intimate" and private thoughts that you don't feel comfortable sharing out just yet. :)

I know how it can be not trusting people, that's one of my biggest issues/character-flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hope everything goes well for you there Stinkle! :)
    Thank so much its been a rough year in some ways and great in others. I'm kinda thru the other side and am glad I did the right thing by quitting when I did. Of all the things causing me anxiety lately, that wasn't one in the end.

New boss emailed back and I think all is well. I may even have a later start date which is grand.

Anyone else feel this week was weird and just dragged?

• Advertisement

stinkle wrote: »
    Anyone else feel this week was weird and just dragged?

Yeah despite the bank holiday the week felt long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ZenPit

Yea this week has had a real low feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

ZenPit wrote: »
    Yea this week has had a real low feeling.

i just couldn't agree more.. .... worst thing is it seems i just cannot shake it off... i wish i can see it more clearly, like the reason for it so that i can deal with it.. but moments/states like this are the worse, when something you feel deep down as almost making you feeling sick and is dragging you down, but not knowing what..and just like, have to endure it...
    perhaps i should just take some quiet time to try to see it, rather than trying to avoid it (with meds food alc and whatever not).........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

go for a cycle in the rain. You will feel better

went for a walk, just in, with few rains on me : ).. yea i like walks.. they definitely are of much help...

• Advertisement

I too had a walk. Feels great to breathe properly

m happy for you hugo, really glad to hear that :)

Joya wrote: »
    m happy for you hugo, really glad to hear that :)

Thanks J! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I legit think I have anxiety problems. Haven't gotten out of my own headspace for quite a while, happy things happening and all I'm doing is second guessing things the whole time.

I've posted here before when things weren't going great for me, life is a fair bit better now in some respects. It's certainly not as stressful but I've gone back into my funk. I quit my PhD, supervisor was just too bloody absuvie to me. Proper rotten bully. Wanting myself dead on a daily basis wasn't worth a title and piece of paper. The only thing is, since quitting and things eventually settling down, I've gone back into a bit of a funk where my head doesn't shut up ever. Ever. All I can think about is that I'm trapped in my head being driven daft by it never shutting up. I actually think that now I don't have someone tearing strips out of me on a regular basis for no good reason I'd actually benefit from talking to someone. I'm not actually as miserable as I was, but I still can't get out of my head. And I think it might start affecting my performance in work because I spend so much time procrastinating. It was horrible trying counselling before, it was actually quite an unpleasant experience. But I think I wasn't in a good enough place to do anything and I quit it eventually anyway. I kinda would like to try again, I don't like feeling like this. But now I have no money and no free college counseller to attend because I quit college. Sorry for venting.

Sorry for venting.

Vent away S! :)

I legit think I have anxiety problems. Haven't gotten out of my own headspace for quite a while, happy things happening and all I'm doing is second guessing things the whole time.

I've posted here before when things weren't going great for me, life is a fair bit better now in some respects. It's certainly not as stressful but I've gone back into my funk. I quit my PhD, supervisor was just too bloody absuvie to me. Proper rotten bully. Wanting myself dead on a daily basis wasn't worth a title and piece of paper. The only thing is, since quitting and things eventually settling down, I've gone back into a bit of a funk where my head doesn't shut up ever. Ever. All I can think about is that I'm trapped in my head being driven daft by it never shutting up. I actually think that now I don't have someone tearing strips out of me on a regular basis for no good reason I'd actually benefit from talking to someone. I'm not actually as miserable as I was, but I still can't get out of my head. And I think it might start affecting my performance in work because I spend so much time procrastinating. It was horrible trying counselling before, it was actually quite an unpleasant experience. But I think I wasn't in a good enough place to do anything and I quit it eventually anyway. I kinda would like to try again, I don't like feeling like this. But now I have no money and no free college counseller to attend because I quit college. Sorry for venting.

can you report the bully and request another supervisor
    i mean one bully is also certainly not worth your achievements, you are capable of..
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Thanks. I suppose I could report him but I don't know if it would do any good for me and I'm just not in a position to be saving others from him ATM. I know how incredibly selfish that is, it really is inexcusable. I just can't do it. Any time I'm in a room with him I shake like a leaf , can't breathe properly and can't hold back tears. Even the thought of it is making my throat get tight and making me feel sick. It was months after leaving before I could even hint at not getting on with him, I physically couldn't before so the thought of going back there terrifies me. I was so stupid to let it get to that stage. If I ever run into one particular person who was on my DSP I might hint at it.

Ive withdrawn now and lost my funding so can't go back or ask for another supervisor. My own fault for not dealing with it properly but what's done is done. I'm starting a new course (in a different college) at the end of September, a postgraduate diploma. So I think first stop will be the student counseling service. I'm just so afraid it wont all work out.

Does anyone know of somewhere in dublin that does one or two sessions for free/very cheap? I'm getting very fragile again and the end of September is such a long way away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Have my psych appointment tomorrow and thank God for that.

Having a bit of a wobble at the minute.

Does anyone know of somewhere in dublin that does one or two sessions for free/very cheap? I'm getting very fragile again and the end of September is such a long way away.

PCI college has low cost counselling if you d want to try it?
    http://www.pcicollege.ie/counselling-service/lowcostcounselling

otherwise yes college counselling was very helpful for me, although it has a limit of only 8 sessions per year for one-to-one counselling.
    but drop in is available as well

Does anyone find that low moods often accompany boredom?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Yes. A lack of interest in life. You get bored even when there's loads to occupy you.

arthur-schopenhauer-quote-life-swings-like-a-pendulum-backward-and.jpg

You try and avoid boredom as in the mind tries to avoid it. It is said that man is the only animal that cannot be bored. But in avoiding boredom you may run into even greater trouble that originally was. Hence when the boredom kicks back in you may feel guilty or anxious

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yes. A lack of interest in life. You get bored even when there's loads to occupy you.
    Roquentin wrote: »
    You try and avoid boredom as in the mind tries to avoid it. It is said that man is the only animal that cannot be bored. But in avoiding boredom you may run into even greater trouble that originally was. Hence when the boredom kicks back in you may feel guilty or anxious

The trouble is that I live a quiet enough life with no real hobbies apart from the internet. That usually keeps the boredom at bay but sometimes it creeps in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Being bored just makes you think about things more. Which can be a good or a bad thing...

Being bored just makes you think about things more. Which can be a good or a bad thing...

Yeah it can go both ways at times.

The trouble is that I live a quiet enough life with no real hobbies apart from the internet. That usually keeps the boredom at bay but sometimes it creeps in.

the mind likes contrast. What invariably happens when you do the same thing for too long, is the mind just gets bored. Alas if you contrast what you in life, you remain more active. Some days i read, some days i play soccer, some days i watch tv series (true detective anyone?) might go swimming another day. watch a match.....

in my case low mode (just as now) is not produced by boredom but by stress and worry about the outcome...
    i know i should just do my best (under the circumstances) and that worry does not help but i still feel (de)pressed and low...
    sometimes i say to myself i have to be mild to myself as, not to expect too much r even anything if at all is too much..

but yes, i wish to progress in life and to move from this place so.. if it takes one step at the time and that's all i can do so be it....... even while feeling low...

i guess what i tried to say is - do what you can. however small.>?
    (not sure if this helps you at all ?...

Yeah Joya, stress and worry about self improvement is unfortunately a common occurrence here too. Sometimes the hole just seems too big to dig oneself out of.

• Advertisement

haha, thank you Hugo, I am not sure if desire to move from the bottom is to be coincided with the wish for self improvement but okay, I believe I know what you meant :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement