Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Ososlo wrote: »
    yeah but it did offend some people
    Lets face it, some people are very easily offended. How these people manage to get through life is beyond me, must have had very sheltered upbringing.
    Nothing on this thread has caused offense to the people it was aimed at. If some people had to listen to some of the stuff I hear day-to-day they be having kittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Why the frick does this joke of a conversation have to happen whilst I'm abroad with no wifi. FFS

Gavlor wrote: »
    Why the frick does this joke of a conversation have to happen whilst I'm abroad with no wifi. FFS
    Well go somewhere civilized in future. Where were you - Cork?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Maybe let's not go there again, can we agree to move on and let it lie?
    Fcuk off and mind your own business:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Fcuk off and mind your own business:pac:

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the Spat thread.

Wait, that's not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I would suggest it's only handbags but that may be considered disrespectful to those who are more prone to using handbags...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

davedanon wrote: »
    Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the Spat thread.

Wait, that's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Some of you might remember this "unintended offence" episode, which actually IS a good example of "political correctness gone mad"...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/jan99/district27.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Congratulations on your first mod-hat post :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

pa4 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your first mod-hat post :pac:

wait, who let that bearded track fairy (wait is this offending anyone?) bollox become a mod!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

TRR wrote: »
    wait, who let that bearded track fairy (wait is this offending anyone?) bollox become a mod!

I have a beard. Can I be offended ?

If you are offended by having a beard just shave it off.

depends, does it look as ridiculous as pconn062's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

depends, does it look as ridiculous as pconn062's?

Probably :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

The track fairy part I can take, but don't dare comment on the awesomeness of the beard! :pac:

The track fairy part I can take, but don't dare comment on the awesomeness of the beard! :pac:

have you mirrors in your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

have you mirrors in your house?

Course I do, what sort of a kip do you think I'm from, Tallaght?!

Course I do, what sort of a kip do you think I'm from, Tallaght?!

ha ha, no just that the awful north eastern accent has been known to crack mirrors. Was just wondering were your's still in tact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Can't believe I missed all the agro about the Grass-Trackers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

Dublin city, why would anyone want to live their by choice rather than necessity? The inner city is a cesspit. To add some sort of character they added a Spire/Needle (Mecca for all the junkies)

Some nice places in county Dublin but the city has as much charm as a bag of steaming hot sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

rom wrote: »
    Dublin city, why would anyone want to live their by choice rather than necessity? The inner city is a cesspit. To add some sort of character they added a Spire/Needle (Mecca for all the junkies)

Some nice places in county Dublin but the city has as much charm as a bag of steaming hot sh*t.

To paraphrase Churchill - Dublin is the worst place in Ireland, except for all the places that aren't Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Lets face it, some people are very easily offended. How these people manage to get through life is beyond me, must have had very sheltered upbringing.
    Nothing on this thread has caused offense to the people it was aimed at. If some people had to listen to some of the stuff I hear day-to-day they be having kittens.

I think, just as a general point, that familiarity with something shouldn't make people stop pointing out that certain things are offensive.

Maybe the problem is with the word 'offensive' / 'offended' - it seems to conjure up images of people fainting with shock etc. When I said upthread that I was 'offended', I meant I noticed the joke, I thought it was sexist, and I gave out about it a bit. I still managed to get through life :). And I hear sexist things / racist / classist / ageist things all the time, both in the media, in daily discourse etc. I don't think I'm particularly sheltered, but I think it would be wrong of me to stop standing up and saying I think things are wrong / mean etc just because I'm familiar with them or have heard them before.

I'm not particularly shocked by things people say -- as I said, I've heard them before -- and it's not like I never offend people or that I'm sensitive to people's feelings all the time myself, and I don't think people who say things that offend me are bad people, I just think that it's worth pointing out if you don't like something.

I don't want to be the person who laughs along with the racist joke etc just because I don't want to seem like I'm no fun.

And for the record, I don't like the word 'knacker' either, in any context (except maybe 'horse renderer', but it's not often used in that context these days :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

As long as that rule applies to everyone. The below sustained attempts to trivialize legitimate concerns about widespread sexism and racism on this forum can hardly be described as "letting it go" can it? (welcome BTW!)
    JohnDozer wrote: »
    I would suggest it's only handbags but that may be considered disrespectful to those who are more prone to using handbags...
    If you are offended by having a beard just shave it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I think, just as a general point, that familiarity with something shouldn't make people stop pointing out that certain things are offensive.

Maybe the problem is with the word 'offensive' / 'offended' - it seems to conjure up images of people fainting with shock etc. When I said upthread that I was 'offended', I meant I noticed the joke, I thought it was sexist, and I gave out about it a bit. I still managed to get through life :). And I hear sexist things / racist / classist / ageist things all the time, both in the media, in daily discourse etc. I don't think I'm particularly sheltered, but I think it would be wrong of me to stop standing up and saying I think things are wrong / mean etc just because I'm familiar with them or have heard them before.

I'm not particularly shocked by things people say -- as I said, I've heard them before -- and it's not like I never offend people or that I'm sensitive to people's feelings all the time myself, and I don't think people who say things that offend me are bad people, I just think that it's worth pointing out if you don't like something.

I don't want to be the person who laughs along with the racist joke etc just because I don't want to seem like I'm no fun.

And for the record, I don't like the word 'knacker' either, in any context (except maybe 'horse renderer', but it's not often used in that context these days :)).

I'm glad that you have stood up to say it. I still don't think that it's particularly offensive but I can respect that you and others do and I'd much prefer to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ahh yes, the usual refrain from the envious poor cousins of the south. How do we improve the drug situation on the streets of Dublin? Turn them back at Heuston Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

T runner wrote: »
    As long as that rule applies to everyone. The below sustained attempts to trivialize legitimate concerns about widespread sexism and racism on this forum can hardly be described as "letting it go" can it? (welcome BTW!)

Maybe a list could be provided - approved terms we could use when slagging each other?

Obviously this wouldnt be fully satisfactory because the degenerates would still be thinking the other things, but it would be a start until the denunciations and show trials could get organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Wow. Not much charm in any chipper, anywhere in the country on a friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Maybe a list could be provided - approved terms we could use when slagging each other?

Obviously this wouldnt be fully satisfactory because the degenerates would still be thinking the other things, but it would be a start until the denunciations and show trials could get organised.

Great point: but be careful there are woodpeckers around today.

My point was that "moving on" should apply to both sides and not just one. You seem to have proved this for me (unintentionally). Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Wow. Not much charm in any chipper, anywhere in the country on a friday night.

Yes. the scene outside the local Supermacs in Ballyasshole at the weekend after chucking-out time is a sight to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

HelenAnne wrote: »

I agree 100% with the above, which is exactly in line with my own thinking on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement