Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I heard all ready! Got in a few digs at a couple Sisterz while spectating at the 5 miler in the PP this morning..., TBB looked close to tears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Just wondering. Why are they being called "Sisters"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

T runner wrote: »
    Just wondering. Why are they being called "Sisters"?

The joke was that our two fastest runners were women
    (it wasn't true, but they were certainly winning more than the men)

Still don't quite get it. They seem to be calling the male runners "sisters"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

It's complete schoolboy silliness. We are aware of the gender bias issues/ patriarchal society unpleasantness you're trying to stir up here but it's a bit of a laugh so maybe leave the politics out of it :(

Sometimes it's fun to act like a 13 yr old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

We are, the inference is that their best male runners are no faster than our best female runners. It's tongue in check!

They accuse us of joy riding and drinking in parks which is also tongue in check (except for tonight a few of us will be boozing al fresco).

Sometimes things are said in jest and reading too much into them makes no sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

modern-skanger-meme-generator-surrup-trunner-you-re-wreckin-me-buzz-man-9773ce.jpg

drquirky wrote: »
    It's complete schoolboy silliness.......Sometimes it's fun to act like a 13 yr old

Spot on! ....You said it.... as long as "the boys" are having fun........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I didnt start this thread to have jackceens and want to be jackeens (jyankeens??) rowing over who has the nicest slum.Find something proper to fight about or Il send up 4 bailers and a manure shaker to block the entrance.(applies to norde jackeens too)

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I didnt start this thread to have jackceens and want to be jackeens (jyankeens??) rowing over who has the nicest slum.Find something proper to fight about or Il send up 4 bailers and a manure shaker to block the entrance.(applies to norde jackeens too)

We will block your October visa to dublin if you're not careful!

• Advertisement

TRR wrote: »
    We will block your October visa to dublin if you're not careful!

hey Ive ran it 15 times, I issue the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

drquirky wrote: »
    (I would do it but am woefully out of shape!!!)

Emperor_Good.jpg

you swine!

(not trying to restart the argument! this came up on facebook today and its a good video worth sharing, and it kind of had to go in here :) )

RayCun wrote: »

you swine!

(not trying to restart the argument! this came up on facebook today and its a good video worth sharing, and it kind of had to go in here :) )

very similar to TBB's running style ;)

if only my gait and form were that good

if only my gait and form were that good

tell me about it those girls have better knee lift than me :)

you swine!

Thanks for sharing that.

It makes one think (not everyone obviously!).

Re. your own club, I think that it's great that your female and young athletes perform so well. For a relatively new club some of the achievements are outstanding.

In mixed clubs, logically it shouldn't really be unusual for women to win as much as/more than men. That's why the "Sisters" thing is just a little odd for me. Instead of lauding your achievements: your club is mocked as a women's club ("Sisters Pearse") .... and worse, male runners are mocked as women ("sisters") for this very reason. Even if its excused as boyishness, tongue in cheek.... whatever...the underlying assumptions are still quite odd and unpleasant.

Again well done on the club development, plenty of clubs could benefit from your example. Respect where its due.

(there should be a rule against serious discussion in this thread)

If the club were Sportsworld and the joke was "the sportsworldettes" or Donore Harriers to the Donore Belles, there would be more of an issue. But Brothers is in the name, so its an obvious place to go with a joke. That's what e get for having an original and distinctive name ;-)

If the club were Sportsworld and the joke was "the sportsworldettes" or Donore Harriers to the Donore Belles, there would be more of an issue. But Brothers is in the name, so its an obvious place to go with a joke. That's what e get for having an original and distinctive name ;-)

Thats the way to dismantle a joke, your as bad as Ray DArcy. Who was Brother Pearse anyhow? Might as well make the thread educational now its been robbed of its comedic value. Did Brother P have a sister?

Exactly, I personally prefer Knocklyon joggers as a slag term but the momentum seemed to go with Sisters Pearse a while ago.

Don't start about those Sportworld feckers. You guys might be the grass trackers but they are the no trackers ;)

• Advertisement

ha ha. I'll save us all some time here.

We see this slagging off as something funny. Nothing anyone writes will change our view on this.

Some see this in another light as some sort of sexism/discrimination. Nothing I write will change your mind.

If the club were Sportsworld and the joke was "the sportsworldettes" or Donore Harriers to the Donore Belles,

BTW that would be ridiculous. Have you seen those ugly feckers? :pac:

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Who was Brother Pearse anyhow?

This fecking nutter and his brother ran a school in the area. (They did have a sister but she wasn't involved afaik) The "athletics club" was originally a cover for gun-running and introducing Soviet counterfeit notes into Ireland.

Donore Harriers to the Donore Belles,

Got it!! It came to me during my run just now.

We'll call them the Donore Harriettes :pac:

I think t-runner has raised important points. I also think that balance is very important in a discussion like this.

So perhaps its important to point out that the tallaght ac athletes on this thread are a bunch of thieving, illiterate, session-dodging, welfare-defrauding, burger chomping gits :)

So perhaps its important to point out that the tallaght ac athletes on this thread are a bunch of thieving, illiterate, session-dodging, welfare-defrauding, burger chomping gits :)

Yeah but TRR's Beermile time from Saturday night is faster than the mile PB of 99% of your clubmates :D

ha ha :) We haven't been caught defrauding the welfare so take that back!

Are you fcukwits still planning on entering a team in the Frank Duffy? Can't spy on you any more since you made your club's (and I use the term loosely) facebook page private!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah but TRR's Beermile time from Saturday night is faster than the mile PB of 99% of your clubmates :D

Haha i actually compile our race times and can state categorically that aint true :). meno, my lidlflagonofcider-mile time is prob faster than your flat out effort right now.
    ha ha :) We haven't been caught defrauding the welfare so take that back!

Are you fcukwits still planning on entering a team in the Frank Duffy? Can't spy on you any more since you made your club's (and I use the term loosely) facebook page private!

Yip. Looking forward to it!

ha ha. I'll save us all some time here.

We see this slagging off as something funny. Nothing anyone writes will change our view on this.

Some see this in another light as some sort of sexism/discrimination. Nothing I write will change your mind.

First of all you can only speak for yourself.

Secondly your post implies that something being "funny" and being discriminatory are mutually exclusive. That makes no sense.

For example, Some find jokes involving racism funny. You wont get many comedians telling them anymore though.

Perhaps I can clarify it for you. Would mocking a man from one race by calling him a member of another race be discriminatory? Yes or No?
    Then mocking someone of one gender by calling them the other gender is discriminatory. If you disagree please explain why. You're an educated man apparently.

And youre correct. Nothing you write will change my view on your attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

T,

With all due respect you will find that the majority of the "banter" between people in this situation are people who train together (despite being in different clubs) and socially interact outside of boards. You will also find that many of the people involved in the slagging are normally the first to support fund raising endeavours etc (even if we did try and "mistakenly" steal a number of raffle prizes :P) not to mention also singing their praise with regards their grassroots approach and actively developing a very healthy club spirit and infrastructure for development of their athletes off all levels.

I can get what you are saying but you are missing the context. Would you be as defensive if you interchanged these clubs with say English football clubs? (for example Man Utd and Liverpool fansor Cork and Kilkenny Hurling fans). There is always a focus of taunts with rivalries, in this incidence it is based around the clubs success much like Liverpool living in the past with regards Trophies won (still without a Premier League thankfully :p) There is no social exclusion or even any negative influence of behavior towards either club here and in fact there is actually probably one of the healthier club relationships on a whole in the Dublin area IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement