Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samknows.ie Broadband Speed Trial

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We’ve noticed that your Whitebox hasn’t been in touch with us since 24-Nov-16, and we just wanted to make sure both you and our little Whitebox are alright?

This was sent in March, its nice that they care. Just popped it back in. Never set it up when bridging the VM CPE again.

New Dashboard is nice looking, no data to use in it yet though so how effective it is is TBC. Whats interesting is routing to the box is rather slower than you might expect for side by side devices.
    Packets: Sent = 99, Received = 99, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 206ms, Average = 37ms

1 11 ms 4 ms 3 ms 192.168.2.1
    2 73 ms 25 ms 16 ms 92.235.XX.1
    3 26 ms 20 ms 30 ms 176.61.XX.XX

L3mOny8.jpg
    (#PotatoCam)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Once you have data, could you share it because I'm seeing weired results on mine and am wondering if it's only me or something with the Samknows on VM.

Last test 136 Mbps
    Advertised 360 Mbps
    % of advertised 37.6 %
    Best performance 168 Mbps
    % of best 80.9 %

And I'm getting that consistently over the last couple of month.

But my download rates are usually good as long as I either stay in the walled garden or there is a big exit door out of it.

So I'm wondering if my low test results are due to the fact that the sambox is going outside the walled garden or the door is too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Once you have data, could you share it because I'm seeing weired results on mine and am wondering if it's only me or something with the Samknows on VM.

Last test 136 Mbps
    Advertised 360 Mbps
    % of advertised 37.6 %
    % of best 80.9 %

But my download rates are usually good as long as I either stay in the walled garden or there is a big exit door out of it.

So I'm wondering if my low test results are due to the fact that the sambox is going outside the walled garden or the door is too small.

The Sam box does wired tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Last test 136 Mbps
    Advertised 360 Mbps
    % of advertised 37.6 %
    % of best 80.9 %

My Samknows download rates became much more erratic around June, from the odd test not hitting the full 360 to most tests not now getting it. Tests to VM's own speedtest or Speedtest.net servers in Ireland seem OK when run manually.

jca wrote: »
    The Sam box does wired tests.

Yes, wired test that are weird, had a spelling error in my statement.
    dam099 wrote: »
    My Samknows download rates became much more erratic around June, from the odd test not hitting the full 360 to most tests not now getting it. Tests to VM's own speedtest or Speedtest.net servers in Ireland seem OK when run manually.

So I'm not the only one than which is getting results that are slower than expected while performance is usually good (within the walled garden).

Must be a strange server outside the walled garden that we are hitting for the samknows tests than.

• Advertisement

Are you on DSLite guys? If so you're counting on Network Performance + NAT Performance whereas straight v4 only connections skip the NAT cluster.

YVLg8fpl.png
    w0ys7Nvl.png
    5ZpB3Bbl.png

ED E wrote: »
    Are you on DSLite guys? If so you're counting on Network Performance + NAT Performance whereas straight v4 only connections skip the NAT cluster.

Yup DSLite, but its amazing that this adds such a negative impact to the SamKnows test.

Yup DSLite, but its amazing that this adds such a negative impact to the SamKnows test.

Its not that for certain, just a strong possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

ED E wrote: »

Nope not on DSLite, I'm IPV4

jxnpj2Z.png

• Advertisement

kT0wA2Xl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I notice on mine that on the 2nd May either eir or SamKnows made a change. The latency dropped from ~8ms to ~4.5ms and whereas before there were some minor slowdowns throughout the day it is now pretty much rock solid 287Mb / 48Mb all day (300Mb FTTH).

I keep meaning to sniff the traffic to see where the server is but it involves getting into an attic and I always find an excuse not to.

Advertisement