Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samknows.ie Broadband Speed Trial

Options
  • 16-06-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Anybody know anything about this trial?

It looks good, but I cant see anything on the website about dates and if it is over or is yet to start.

Definitely something I would be interested in. Is it legit?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

It's legit.

I have a SamKnows box myself from about the start of May.

I believe the current trial period is until November I believe at which point you're allowed to keep the routers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sneachtaman

Good stuff thanks

What does the router do? whats the benefit of keeping it?

Did you wait long before they contacted you? (Just filled in the form)

It's legit.

I believe the current trial period is until November I believe at which point you're allowed to keep the routers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I have one too. It connects to your router via a cable and at quiet times it does speed tests to determine your line statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Despite what is being reported Samknows have been running this survey in Ireland for a good while now, I have my router since October last year.

@AlanS181824
    Where did you read about being able to keep the router after the 'trial' period is over?

Ziycon wrote: »
    Despite what is being reported Samknows have been running this survey in Ireland for a good while now, I have my router since October last year.

@AlanS181824
    Where did you read about being able to keep the router after the 'trial' period is over?

It's on their website, on their FAQ if I remember correctly.

It says that after the trial period which is currently until November (could be extended) that the router is yours to keep.

• Advertisement

Found the FAQ from their website.
    What happens to the SamKnows Whitebox at the end of the project?
    At the end of the project, you may keep the SamKnows Whitebox for your own personal use.

It's on their website, on their FAQ if I remember correctly.

It says that after the trial period which is currently until November (could be extended) that the router is yours to keep.
    Found it, https://www.samknows.eu/faqs/ :D

Edit:
    You got there before me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Reminds me, mine arrived weeks ago, must plug it in!

phill106 wrote: »
    Reminds me, mine arrived weeks ago, must plug it in!

You really should!

Have they emailed you about not being connected yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Found the FAQ from their website.

Will they send different firmware when the trial is over.

jca wrote: »
    Will they send different firmware when the trial is over.

Apparently they help you install DD-WRT or go back to Tp Links firmware.

Saw that online so how accurate it is I don't know.

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, signed up there, will see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sneachtaman

Must be over for new signups. Signed up a few days back but have heard nothing from samknows :(
    It's legit.

Must be over for new signups. Signed up a few days back but have heard nothing from samknows :(
    It takes a few days for them to respond alright.

I actually thought they wouldn't let me sign up so I used 2 different emails both got accepted so now I regularly get an email asking me to finish my sign up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I got an email from them today.

I got an email from them today.

Oh nice, let me know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I was on the European trial a few years back and got an email from them a few months ago regarding the Ireland specific trial and got the new box delivered about two weeks ago.

I have it set it and it's running grand, just like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Oh nice, let me know how it goes!

I received an email today saying it has been dispatched. How long did it take to arrive for you?

I received an email today saying it has been dispatched. How long did it take to arrive for you?

About 4 days I think.

It's very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Thor wrote: »
    I was on the European trial a few years back and got an email from them a few months ago regarding the Ireland specific trial and got the new box delivered about two weeks ago.

I have it set it and it's running grand, just like before.
    I am on the European trial too. (since January 2012) I seem to remember that it was for 2 years. How did you stop being on the trial and did you keep your device?

What model is the new device?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I am on the European trial too. (since January 2012) I seem to remember that it was for 2 years. How did you stop being on the trial and did you keep your device?

What model is the new device?

The trail was over for me(over two years) like yourself at this stage. I was allowed to keep the device, but they are fairly dated right now. Great if you throw dd-wrt firmware on them, which most seem to do when the trial is over.

The new Samknows is a a TP-link WDR-3600.it does support dual band as well, meaning it can keep on eye on both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz traffic and make's sure not to run any tests if the traffic is high. Which is a plus since I'm using an Asus RT-AC66U router myself and use both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz on different devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Anyone get monthly reports or results yet? How does it compare to Speedtest under Upstream, Downstream, Latency and Packet Loss etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

this is my thir year with them, i signed up under a different email and got a newer box, i have been delving into it, funnely enough it has two ariels to pick up different outside wireless, feck all going on in my house, well bar one thing, the new box is a tp-wdr3800 or an n800 dualband,

Does anyone know how to install DDWRT on one of these?

I've the WDR 3600, my friend gave me his WDR 3600 too as he's gone to Australia.

They apparently never responded to his emails so long story short I have it now.

I followed this tutorial here

http://blog.nyr.bz/hacking-the-whitebox/

But I get suck on setting up the ftp server.

Anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

have they got their own fourm where all these things are discussed.

flutered wrote: »
    have they got their own fourm where all these things are discussed.

They do, the run custom firmware.

But apparently they help install DD WRT when you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

PeadarB wrote: »
    Anyone get monthly reports or results yet? How does it compare to Speedtest under Upstream, Downstream, Latency and Packet Loss etc.

Got my first report this week. I am on Eircom's 50MB Unlimited package although I think something has changed recently as I am getting 65+MB.

312370.JPG
    312371.JPG
    312372.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks. I signed up. I'd really like to take part.

However, who are these people? I can't find any information about who they are. They don't seem to be involved with the European Union.
    Didn't read their homepage properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I got my first tests there, awful results though I knew that would be the case, having a little argument with magnet about it at the moment!

Advertisement