Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Festival 2015

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Flying Friday morning, landing at nine, hopefully have tent set up by noon anyway.

I wonder will it be all confusing trying to get the wristbands now or will it be smooth sailing.

I'm part of UK festival volunteers group and so far they've been camping night before and have all been frozen. Guessing any clear skies have taken away the heat, so bring something warm for sleeping in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Really?? Have a proper soft spot for BFMV.

They announced Young Guns along with The Darkness, but anymore BFMV info would be super appreciated smile.pngredface.png especially since I thought might be AxeWound playing.
    There doesn't look like there is space for them unless they play 3rd stage and clash with a headliner you do know they are playing the Olympia and Ulster Hall right?

They are heavily rumored and this is one of the things fueling it or ultimate trolling...
    https://twitter.com/MattieValentine/status/608234154464002049
    Apocalypse wrote: »
    Oh In Flames will be there ?
    Do they play mainly their new stuff or any old stuff ?
    Their most recent set is here http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/in-flames/2015/flugplatz-mendigvulkaneifel-mendig-germany-53c9e7d5.html

Pingi wrote: »
    When you all off?
    On the Ryanair Friday morning meself :D , only just bought a tent in Tesco must pack today work tommorrow then I'm free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Have my Olympia ticket :o

Matt is probably trollin' me. He's probably just glamping at Download himself.

See you on the plane Wrongway :p

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Have my Olympia ticket :o

Matt is probably trollin' me. He's probably just glamping at Download himself.

See you on the plane Wrongway :p

Grabbed one for that meself but mostly likely not as big a fan as you appear to be as in it's unlikely I'll rectify my plans to skive off the bands on me current plans unless they clash with Hellyeah then certainly :D:D

Ya cool no prob I'll be the one in jeans and band t-shirt. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Young Guns

Download, 4th stage tonight! Kerrang! Signing at 4pm

1982282_10153340484237910_6515890342178181484_n.jpg?oh=12da8a4baddca0d43168f16e823540ee&oe=55F61E5E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is that supposed to be a rock band in that pic? ffs!!

10171737_10155766014605193_5874716935800008196_n.jpg?oh=1defbb74cf2a9f500a2c89ec16cf7bf7&oe=5635332E

Looks like Babymetal could be the surprise act

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Baby metal WTF. Music is fúcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭hellyeah

Chucked it down yesterday. Not looking much better today. Gonna be like a swamp in the arena.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

It was a decent line up this year I think with Sonisphere off, probably helped the download line up. Plus all of the top bands are in Europe right now anyway for the festival season

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is that supposed to be a rock band in that pic? ffs!!

looks like a One Direction poster

The crowd look very subdued here

Wow vince neil sounds woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The crowd look very subdued here

Wow vince neil sounds woeful

The subdued look is in fashion, people are there phones. Maybe everyone was soaked? And the fun was beaten out of them. Still it's not very rock n roll.

As for Vince, he sounded good in that clip. He's never been a wow singer. He measures up to my crotch, must of been close between him and Freeman for the Hobbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

In that Crue clip, at 21seconds there's a woman on someone's shoulders.....SHE HAS A FCUKIN TABLET!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

scudzilla wrote: »
    In that Crue clip, at 21seconds there's a woman on someone's shoulders.....SHE HAS A FCUKIN TABLET!!!!

A tablet at a fecking festival, oi vey!

THE 14 BEST MOMENTS OF DOWNLOAD FESTIVAL 2015 by Gigwise.com

1. Muse silence their critics and make history
    It was never going to be anything less than historic, was it? Here stands a band who have headlined Glastonbury and Reading & Leeds two times a-piece, sold out pretty much every stadium on the planet, yet still had a huge challenge to face: headline the hallowed hard rock ground of Donington Park and prove the heavy metal purists wrong.

2. Enter Shikari prove themselves future headliners
    Competing with a closing set from rock royalty Kiss is a feat that would leave so many bands trembling in fear But not Shikari, hell no. With a career-spanning set before a mind-blowing light show, the band tore through a show of such energy, compulsion and variety that we are left in no doubt that it's just a matter of time before they step up to headline main stages.

3. Something pretty terrifying from Faith No More
    Appearing dressed in purest white in a set decked out in beautiful bouquets of flowers may seem entirely at odds with the filth, mayhem and darkness of all that surrounds them. Of course, the very stage presence of FNM frontman Mike Patton was menacing enought to strike terror into the hearts of the sodden hordes gathered.

4. Eagles Of Death Metal kick the mud off your dancing shoes
    Eagles frontman Jesse 'Boots Electric' Hughes to a chilly afternoon crowd And thrilled they were too. Every hip-shake, breakneck riff, and feel-good rhythm was loaded with enough bravado to dance away those last day blues. There were rumours abound of Josh Homme joining the band on stage, but all you really need is a wink from Boots Electric to have yourself one hell of a time.

5. The Darkness bring barbarians
    If you want old school theatrics, you can always count on The Darkness, who went back to the oldest of schools with Justin Hawkins being carried on stage through the audience atop the shoulders of Viking Barbarians.

6. A Day To Remember give us exactly that
    A Day To Remember made the most of their time, playing a full and relentless repertoire including Common Courtesy anthems, 'Right Back At It Again', 'Best of Me', before flashing back to Mr. Highway's 'Thinking About the End from Homesick'. They certainly lived up to their name, bringing mud pounding dancing to the Main stage, we’re lucky we made it out alive.

7. Evil Scarecrow introducing the phrase 'dancing robot crab' to our vocabulary
    This is probably to most fun heavy metal band to grace the Maverick stage, punching out bass drum beats and electric riffs.

8. Slipknot fought through rain to strengthen bond with fans
    Slipknot headlined the main stage on Friday night amidst a heavy downpour of unrelenting rain.

9. Dragonforce and Babymetal united for surprise duet
    The rumour mill was working in overdrive a couple of days before Download, i.e. would Japanese sensations Babymetal be playing a secret set at some point over the weekend? Those rumors were turned into realities when the teenage girl, pop metal band, joined the stage in the middle of Dragonforce’s set for track ‘Road of Resistance.

10. Beartooth play first ever major UK festival appearance
    When Beartooth released their debut album Disgusting last year, it’s fair to say that no one could have foreseen their explosion in the rock community, nor the fact that their debut could have been something so accomplished. Yet, less than a year from release they’re already packing out The Maverick Stage at Download Festival.

11. Hollywood Undead bring jokey rap metal to the main stage
    It’s often refreshing to see a band that don’t take themselves too seriously, which is exactly how Hollywood Undead managed to win over new fans during their mid-day performance on Saturday .

12. Slash and Myles Kennedy make for modern day Guns N Roses
    It’s not every day you get to see arguably the world’s number one (living) guitar hero on the planet, which is why crowds in their masses came together to welcome Slash, joined by his band Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators, to the main stage.

13. Motley Crue part ways with Download Festival
    Appearing onstage for the last time at Download Festival and as part of their farewell tour, Motley Crue’s lead singer, Vince Neill, said: “We’ve been around for 35 years, so this shouldn’t be seen as a goodbye, bur more of a celebration.”

14. Kiss bring pantomime, tomfoolery and explosions, to bring Download Festival 2015 to an insane close
    Kiss are a band who really need no introduction, and as they parade onto the main stage dressed head to toe in full make up and glittery outfits, fitted with 7-inched heels, we know we’re in for one hell of a show…one way or another.
    Opening with ‘Detroit Rock City’, the Brooklyn-hailing band have perfected every move they make over the last 40 years.

Still recovering/workin so only getting the time for a longish post now :D.

Here's my own personal rundown of the bands/goings on this year...

FRIDAY

Only arrived on Friday even though I had 5 day camping I wasn't able to get time off for other days, usually like to be at a fest a day before bands start at least. Had to queue for more than an hour then walk to camp and set up...had missed the starting band(s) by the time I made the trek to the Arena.

Hellyeah:
    Were the first band, I caught them before and they were terrible they were even worse here :D,Chad looked quite f'd too...surely I wouldn't see as bad a set the rest of the weekend...

Blues Pills: on the second stage was me next port of call, now they were the start to the day I was looking for,solid stoner/blues band driven by a mesmerizing vocalist...only heard they played a pub in Dublin not so long ago that must have been quite something.

Lacuna Coil: were the next band I caught saw before and they weren't great, think the problem with this band is their songs are too inconsistent however they chose a festival worthy set and I quite enjoyed them this time around...watchin a crowd full of Slayer and Cannibal Corpse etc tshirts singin along to their cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" was right craic.

Clutch: stayed at main for food I believe then caught these lads, ah lads I'd never seen these lads live before thought to meself half through why not? set practically sold me a ticket to the Dublin show in November. Completely justified their high spot on the bill the same could not say the same about the next band on main...

FFDP: Made a mistake not heading to Corrosion of Conformity on second but friend wanted to see FFDP so stuck around :rolleyes:,actually enjoyed them in 2013 but 2 years on it was for the most part the same set with not as much energy as last time either others around the place seemed to soak it up well they were about to soak something else up...the rain...

Judas Priest: So just before Priest came on it started raining, they came on and it was...just glorious. A stormer of a set Halford was much improved since the last time I saw them he even sang Breaking the Law himself (on Epitaph tour whole song sang by crowd), Jawbreaker,Victim of Changes, the new stuff, Painkiller of course all went down a treat, Richie is now settled into the band big time, on this form they coulda headlined easily IMO.

Black Stone Cherry: Initially thought they were a direct clash with Slipknot like they were 2 years ago so delighted I could get them in...opened with "The Rain Wizard" fittingly enough...halfway through the set we noticed many amateurs sprawling out of the Arena couldn't hack the rain (heard later some even went home) it was around this time BSC played a new track "Roadrunner". They've just announced a big tour of the UK emphasizing how far they've come right it was off to catch the main stage headliner...

Slipknot:
    I'll keep this short, never seen a bad Slipknot show wasn't gonna witness it here..."And the rain will kill us all..." drew a smile on my face.They were excellent.

SATURDAY

Got up late still raining :mad: but not too heavy certainly nothing like 2012 made it to the arena bout half past one in time to catch...

Apocalyptica:
    Was Okay I guess not really my thing,great musicians wasn't keen on the singer.

Ace Frehley: Was great although only played around 3 originals rest of set was KISS classics Love Gun, Shock Me etc...a real warm up for KISS who would follow the next day.

Testament: With barely any thrash bands on the entire bill it was refreshing to have Testament and Carcass back to back. Chuck Billy looked to be enjoying himself. Twas excellent stuff set was too short though.

Carcass:
    Didn't quite reach the heights of Testament for me but played a blinder then it was off to 4th stage...on the way was passing main where A Day to Remember were on a lot of people in the campsite were goin on about them noticed more than a few wearing tshirts too...I don't get it tbh could hear them playin feckin Champagne Supernova and badly said my ears.

The Struts: Got in the tent good considering it was still raining liked this band glam rock would perhaps recommend to fans of the Darkness,they had a very strong 70's rock influence.

Dub War: Same stage (Benji Webbe band before Skindred) reformed for this set don't think they've anything else planned anyway AFAIK. Yep rocked out the small tent place went ape when they inevitably played "Strike It".

Black Star Riders:
    Back to second stage then got beers in first; I really like this band and enjoyed their set but the atmosphere was rather subdued when they were playing their original stuff not many appeared to know songs even off the first album. They were there for the Lizzy numbers which were delivered of course.:)

Faith No More:
    So apart from the quick glimpse I got of ADTR earlier this was the first time proper I hit the main stage. FNM all dressed in white surrounded by flowers. "It's cool you can all come out here and all enjoy yerselves despite the rain" Roddy said. "I can see one girl who's definitely not enjoying themselves" Mike shot back...queue the camera showing a less than impressed girl bored as hell with her head in her hand on the barrier of all places..."Yeah bitch I'm taliking to you" he said, laughing ensued from the big crowd. FNM do not give a f**k, Mike taking a headset from a security guard and telling the colleagues on the other end there was a terrorist alert,it was great fun really like the new album and the new tracks fitted in well with the older material. And we still had a headliner after all that?? And the rain disappeared finally it was a miracle.

Muse:
    As I may have mentioned earlier in the thread I would've liked to have seen Marilyn Manson but recent videos I'd seen of them didn't sway me away from Muse in the end. The big crowd FNM had grew as Muse took the stage. This was a show I was glad to have witnessed not even the biggest Muse fan at all but they slayed it! they debuted "The Handler" too prob my fave track off the new album. They sounded immense when it was said and done I was buying a festival shirt I noticed nearly every second person seemed to be buying Muse merch.

SUNDAY

Woke to no rain...nice one damage was done mud all over the gaff...on with the wellies checked time would actually catch the first band today :D.

The Dead Daisies: Surprised so low on second stage given the band contains John Corabi,Marco Mendoza,Richard Fortus,Dizzy Reed & Brian Tichy liked it over far too quickly though.

H.E.A.T.:
    Same stage cheesy glam rock from Sweden haven't heard of them before will certainly be checking these out in more detail later one called "A Shot of Redemption" was catchy as f**k, crowd was big for this hour too.

Evil Scarecrow:
    Not before I had the pleasure of hearing bout 4 Cavalera Conspiracy songs really sad to see Max struggling and butchering Roots along the way...anyway Evil Scarecrow in the 3rd stage were quite fun had to crowd in their pocket mainly due to their antics getting a crowd to do the Robot, Crab hands etc...I'm sure it would wear thin and fairly sure I couldn't take their music seriously but worth seeing.

Tremonti:
    No Wolfgang Van Halen with them as he gets prepared for Van Halen tour, No messing about here just came on rocked was up really close for this in fact, must get their new album when the funds recover.:p

Godsmack:
    Chanced the Darkness bloody ridiculous having a band that size in a tent waste of time, In fact for a festival the size of DL their tent stages are a joke I've been at smaller fests with bigger stages in tents, anyway supposedly they had a class entrance (that I couldn't see) they then proceeded to play an instrumental of Barbarian for about 4 mins before kicking into it after fixing technical difficulties when "Growing on me" ended I decided feck this rambled up to second to catch Godsmack who surprised me as into their first song they even had a solo! something I wouldn't have associated with that band at all. The "Awake" song familiar to most went down a treat that one from the mummy they closed with not so much was time to get a pint in.

Billy Idol: Great fun altogether one big singalong for the obvious tracks too from the ever expanding crowd.

L7:
    Thought I wouldn't get to see them ever and they were better than expected doubt they'd go down well with the current Kerrang reader I imagine given they're in their 50's now. Probably stating the obvious but they are nutjobs...storming set included "Deathwish","Fuel my Fire" ending with "Fast and Frightening" would be class to see them in a smaller venue...crowd okayish they were dealt clashing with Slash/Myles who I caught the last few songs of very professional as always and was the biggest crowd at main for that time of day all weekend.

Motley Crue:
    Whatever about L7 this will be most likely the last time I see these guys, their music has been regularly listened to by me over the years yet this was also my first time seeing them. Didn't go in expecting much from Vince so his patchy vocals weren't going to ruin it for me I hoped...and they didn't. Mick Mars is a legend how he does what he does living with his disease is remarkable. Really good set the 2 dancing girls were great (doubt they were brought in for their gang vocal qualities :p ). Dunno why on their last tour they needed to include 2 covers although tbf Anarchy In the UK was quality...they took so long to come back on stage for the encore most of the crowd had actually walked away they played "Home Sweet Home". Tears looked to be about to flow as Vince said goodbye to the crowd.

KISS:
    Festival almost over one last band it's KISS how bad!! Set was heavy on non-Paul songs so probably had the casual fan scratching their head, I was personally delighted to see them do "War Machine". Great way to end the festival for me...it was then off to camp to drink all the beers we had left as it would have been a shame to leave them go to waste.

All in All will return depending on line-up there but also elsewhere (euro to sterling a killer :(). On the cashless system thought it worked really well myself

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The 14 best moments of Download up above, I definitely agree with #12 - Slash, Myles & The Conspirators, they do the GN'R songs better live than Axl and his band of hired guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭hellyeah

just a quick round up of my download highlights

Friday:
    Judas Priest by a mile. As said above with that performance they could of headlined.
    big surprise for me. Enjoyed Lacuna coil and slipknot also.

Saturday:
    Testament were excellant. Really enjoyed Marilyn Manson on 2nd stage(not a muse fan)
    so checked him out and was really surprised.

Sunday:
    Started with a bit of Max Cavelera on main stage, got right up the front for this,
    bit of roots/refuse resist. enjoyed.
    After this it was all classic rock for me.
    Billy idol then slash were good.
    Motley crue blew my socks off. Was not expecting much, first time seeing them live
    and with the stage show and pyro etc thought they were great and it felt like the quickest set of the weekend for me which was a good sign.
    and finally KISS, they always put on a good show with no exceptions here.
    Great end to a great weekend (minus the weather of course)

Also found the whole cashless weekend went great with the dogtags and heard
    no complaints from my group or anyone i spoke to. Very well run festivel imo
    Transport to and from very good, Plus with the overnight rain friday into saturday alot of
    work was put into the arena surfice to make it safe for everyone.
    Thumbs up from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

There are highlights on tonight at 9pm on Sky Arts.

Degag wrote: »
    There are highlights on tonight at 9pm on Sky Arts.

Part 1 was last night

Advertisement