Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customer service - Dave & Des Mulvihill

Options
  • 14-06-2014 10:28pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was looking to get the father a .17 of his own. He saw a Savage 93r17 BTVS recently and is dying for one. Even though i have the CZ455 he wants his own as his eyesight is not what it used to be and he fiddles too much with my rifle when he wants to use it. So to keep him happy i took a trip to my local dealer.

Now what i am about to say is not a rant nor is it directed at the lad that runs the shop (the RFD). He has always treated me well, and i have a good relationship with him. It is directed more at the "money man" that has taken control of the RFD's actions, as the gun section is a smaller part of the larger company. I have left a LOT of money there over the years but was told recently that a trade i wanted whereby i take two of their guns, trade one of mine with possibly cash their way was not going to be considered as they were no longer taking trade ins. I spoke to the RFD and he apologised (knew i was a little annoyed), but his hands were tied. I told him if they take that attitude they may close the doors or more specifically the gun section as a large portion of deals are trades.

This was not the first time. However i have noticed a severe decline in the ability to do a deal over the last 12 months or so. Reluctance to refusal of trades, not getting in new stock, drop in variety/amount accessories, refusal to get in once off or specialty items, etc., etc. So much so that 9 out of my ten visits would result in me leaving empty handed. Not even a box of bullets. Shame as the place was my "go to" shop.

In a way it's a blessing in disguise. The Father was getting a gun he wanted but i was taking "what was there" as a substitute for the rifle i was trading. Not what i would have chosen and as such something i was not keen on. So i took a trip today with the 'oul fella and a mate. We hit three different shops. In one we had a good look but nothing suited. Also not too impressed with the attitude of one the lads behind the counter. Seemed very pedantic and kept correcting my Father on certain phrases/acronyms/points. He is pushing on in age so when he calls my .17hmr a 1.7 i just let him, however this guy pulled him on everything so he was not a happy camper either.

Then after hearing so much about Dave & Des Mulvihill i decided to hit them up to see what it was all about.

The shops were good as was the stock. A good selection of most types of guns with various models of each brand. One of the biggest selection of shotguns i've seen, ever and a serious amount of semi autos. Was in shotgun heaven. :D The lads were friendly and accommodating especially considering they had not met me or the oul lad before. Des knew my mate, but Dave only met all three of us today.

We had a good chat, probably talked the ears of them, and had a good look around. The joys of looking in an actual shop is you see things you did not necessarily think of or even consider. Plus you can hold and feel the guns rather than look at pictures on a screen. In the end i took a shine to a make and model i never considered. My Father saw and fell in love with a beautiful Anschutz 1517 in 17hmr. We had a chat and i'm awaiting word to see if a deal can be done that suits us both.

The point being sometimes the "old familiar" is not the best option, and the standing you think you may have is not really there. Shame in one sense, but good in that i met two new people today that seem as keen to sell as i am to buy. IOW whether for better or worse, whether a deal is to be done or not i went away thinking "i'll come back here".

Customer service is not expensive. Sometimes it's the way you are treated, sometimes it's in the small things that keep people happy, but one thing is sure. If you keep them happy they will come back, and in this case the lads have three new, repeat, customers.

On a side note. I was shown a great little mod made by A-Tec for rimfires. Only €85 or so. Small, light, compact, can have baffles added or removed much like the Maxims, and at that price not to be overlooked.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

+1 for Dave Mulvihill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Absolute gentle man to deal with; Dave in Ballymahon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

endasmail wrote: »
    Absolute gentle man to deal with; Dave in Ballymahon

Have to say that Brendan, David or Des have been very pleasant to deal with. When my license comes through, I am looking forward to heading to the shop. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

I got one of those a-tec mods recently for my 22lr. They are very good and are also very effective on the 17hmr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Whats the atec like against the sak in relation
    To noise reduction?
    Have a sak & it still let a fairly loud report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Only met Dave myself lovely lad to talk to have not bought from him but only because nothing he had suited at the time but have brought lads new to shooting to his shop and they were always made welcome

Cass was the Annie the one with the 14" barell. If so lovely rifle. I put it up to my shoulder and it fitted me so sweetly

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

Whats the atec like against the sak in relation
    To noise reduction?
    Have a sak & it still let a fairly loud report.
    I had a sak but I think the a-tec sounds a little quieter. They have 4 baffles and I tried it with 3 then 2 baffles and it was still quite good with subs.
    My mate has a sak on his 17hmr so we tried both mods on it and we both thought the a-tec was quieter so he bought one as well.
    You will still get a sharp report from high velocity 22 and 17 hmr ammo no matter what mod you use but they do help.
    They are a lot slimmer and lighter on the rifle as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cass was the Annie the one with the 14" barell. If so lovely rifle. I put it up to my shoulder and it fitted me so sweetly
    Yup.

Perfectly little compact rifle, well balanced, and being Anschutz most liely a tack driver. He let me put the A-Tec on it to see what it was like and it looks the business.

Good to hear they work well.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I am gone a little grumpy.
    First thing I do when entering a shop is sus out what the staff are like,good attitude,polite,interested,try sell me what I want not the more expensive.
    A good staff member will show you the managements view of customers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I bought a second hand gun for my da off des, a 22 semi auto. There was a priblem with it and we asked to change it which he was more than happy to oblige and we actually ended up spending a few hundred more and upgraded. Pity he is so far away from me because every time iv been there iv been treated very well and I like shopping there. Great selection of guns too and as much time you want giving them a proper look over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Do they have the a-tec in stock in store?

Yup. All calibers, not just the rimfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

Dave and Des Mulvihill are absolute gentleman i try to use them anytime im buying anything as the customer care is excellent and they also are up for a chat couldnt recommend them to enough people

Where are these lads & what r their opening times?

Des runs the Mullingar shop. It's in the Mullingar business park. Zone B, unit 3.

Dave runs the shop in Ballymahon.

Both are easy enough found. Under my signature is a list of firearm dealers and online shops. Their shop is called Outdoor sports. Good site with a lot of their actual stock shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Been dealing with David mulvihill for 15 years can not fault him what so ever . Total gent

Where is the shop in Ballymahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Out the lansbourogh road on the left ! Ul see a big old house covered in ivy and a gun about 8 foot long out side it as a sign . No not a real gun one made of plywood and gun barrel

Where is the shop in Ballymahon?

Was working around the area yesterday and dropped in, some great items in stock, Dave is sound, & I will be back very soon as I spotted a gem, got hooked on a couple of things there also, it's great to be able to see and handle goods as opposed to the usual "what do you want we can order it " :)

I see Dave has his own website set up to distinguish between the Ballymahon and Mullingar shop. When checking out the guns it brings you to the Outdoorsports.ie website, but it's still good to distinguish between them, and have the direct details for Dave.

www.mulvihillfirearms.com

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    I see Dave has his own website set up to distinguish between the Ballymahon and Mullingar shop. When checking out the guns it brings you to the Outdoorsports.ie website, but it's still good to distinguish between them, and have the direct details for Dave.

www.mulvihillfirearms.com

Cass that link wont open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Worked for me

Don't what to tell you, it's working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Dave is the most decent RFD I've dealt with.

Advertisement