Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to sell Ford Mondeo for parts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

That price Kilcock quoted you is the current price everybody is getting on the weighbridge at 105 per ton scrap has fallen in price over the past year.Most you will get off somebody who collects it is 50 euro as they are not going to haul it for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Fair enough, good to see some people have more morals than myself. I'm known to be a whoooore for money though. What did it fail the nct on.
    Some young chap could buy it and fix it up and have a nice cheap car. Just because it's a scrap car. To you doesn't mean it's a scrap car to someone else.

It failed on several basic things - the boot well is rusted, water's coming in at the back and so one of the back seat belts is mouldy where it's fixed in; the bushes and bars (which were mended last year) need work again; two of the tyres are past their date. Other small things like a shaky mirror fixing.

It didn't fail on other things - the central locking has taken on a certain eccentricity; the passenger side window motor doesn't work so you can't open it.

One question: when you get the certificate of destruction, do you hand over your log book, or do you send it in to the car reg people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

What work has to be done for the NCT, that mileage is nothing.

What work has to be done for the NCT, that mileage is nothing.

Rusted boot well
    Mouldy back seat belt fixings (water getting in through boot flap)
    Bushes and bars & wishbone
    Rear view mirror fixing
    Tyres - 1 damaged, 2 out of date

It's true, the mileage is nothing, and the car's had three owners with maintenance done by the same person throughout its history. It's been a grand car. But the amount it would cost to fix these things isn't worth it if you're paying someone else to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Sounds like small work to me....advertise for free on www.everyfordireland.com some enthusiast on there might be interested (I have a 2000 model but it doesn't need bits)

Thanks, corktina, I've registered and am waiting for a moderator to ok me.

that'll be me...off to do it now !

edit..done it....only one guy waiting so that must be you!

Thanks! Ain't got no notification, though…?
    Oh, wait, 'registration successful'.
    Which forum would you recommend I post in?

is it modern or classic? tough call! (both ?)

• Advertisement

Depends on your own age which you'd call it! 1996! To me, that's practically new!

me too!

Seriously, though, which forum?

Fords for sale (and adverts.ie)

Thanks, done; however, I'll probably be bringing it to the scrapyard on Monday.
    I'm cautious of selling it and then, despite sending in logbook, having it reappear in my bank account in the form of eFlow and parking charges.

It sounds like a shame to scrap an old friend.... can't save them all though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Thanks, done; however, I'll probably be bringing it to the scrapyard on Monday.
    I'm cautious of selling it and then, despite sending in logbook, having it reappear in my bank account in the form of eFlow and parking charges.

I've sold plenty of cars and that has never happened. Get them to sign the log book, take a photocopy of it and bang it in the post straight away.
    It'd be a shame to send it to the scrapper.

I've sold plenty of cars and that has never happened. Get them to sign the log book, take a photocopy of it and bang it in the post straight away.
    It'd be a shame to send it to the scrapper.

Wait, sign the logbook? Where? It's not a logbook any more, it's some kind of registration document. And take a photocopy - do I give them the photocopy or send the photocopy to… who?

you and them fill in and sign the bit on the "registration document" and YOU send it off..do not give it to them. Keep a copy for your records is sensible.

Complicated! It apparently depends on the age of the car:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/buying_or_selling_a_vehicle/change_of_ownership.html
    If you sell a pre-April 2004 vehicle privately, part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate, which you would have received when you bought the vehicle, should be completed and returned to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division of the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport. The new details will be registered and the certificate will be sent to the new owner. The Vehicle Registration Certificate, which you also get when you buy a pre-April 2004 vehicle, should be given to the new owner at the time of the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Wait, sign the logbook? Where? It's not a logbook any more, it's some kind of registration document. And take a photocopy - do I give them the photocopy or send the photocopy to… who?

I've always called the reg cert the log book, even if the log book is no more.
    Likewise I'd call 5 euro 5 quid, even though we don't use pounds over here anymore, which can confuse our neighbours across the water.

Anyway when you sell the car, you get the buyer to fill in his details and both of you sign it. Then I'd make two photocopies, one for you in case something happens in the next few days with the car and also give one to the buyer (for his own records and if he gets pulled on the way back for no tax, the copy of the change of ownership should get him through.)
    I'd then post of the original cert with the new buyers details to Shannon with the buyer present.

Do not give the buyer the cert with him saying he will send it away. This can open you up for a load of trouble.

Neither do you need to take copies of the completed cert, but if might clear things up if the gardai come around.....this has never happened to me or anyone know who has sold their car, but there is always a first.

For future reference for anyone scrapping, Leon Recycling came and took the car away, wrote 'Scrap' on the logbook (I took a photo) and gave me a receipt with 'Scrap car receipt/Certificate of Disposal' printed on the top. They said they don't issue the End of Life Certificate; they enter the logbook details online and apply for the End-of-Life Certificate when they get the logbook back in the office, and Shannon issue this certificate to me in three to five working days, which means I should get it some time between Friday and Wednesday next. Leon is the official car recycler for Wicklow (on Wicklow County Council's website) and come with good recommendations, and paid a fair though not huge price.

Someone told me there was a website where you could find out the weight of your car - what's its address, please?

your logbook has it printed on it

kildarelad wrote: »
    your logbook has it printed on it

Thanks; but is there a way of seeing the weights for different cars if you no longer have a car ;)

Right, got the Certificate of Destruction from the tax office today. So Leon Recycling is the man if you're scrapping a car. Great people to deal with.

why did you want to know the weight did you think he didnt pay you enough for the weight of it ?

kildarelad wrote: »
    why did you want to know the weight did you think he didnt pay you enough for the weight of it ?

Not at all! He paid me a perfectly good price!

No, as a cyclist now, I want to know the weights of the cars that I'm avoiding.

One further tip, alas, for anyone scrapping a car: check the CD player and make sure you haven't left your favourite CD in it.
    (For the record: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-World-Vol-Various-Artists/dp/B000000G9H/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1405330128&sr=8-5&keywords=wheels+of+the+world )

• Advertisement
Advertisement