Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to sell Ford Mondeo for parts

Options
  • 12-06-2014 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

My lovely 1996 Ford Mondeo has finally come to the end of the trail. I'd like to sell it for parts, but how do I go about it?
    It has 123,800 miles on the clock, not much for 1996, I'm told.
    It has a great engine - three drivers: a German from the car showroom, who had it meticulously cared for on schedule; a solicitor who drove it to work in Dublin and across the country, and me, driving it during my freelance work - all three adding up to that 123,800 miles over 18 years. It's been maintained by the same mechanic all along.
    It's failed the NCT, and would cost too much to do the upgrades required. I feel that it's paid back all it owes to me. But I'm told that parts for 1996 Ford Mondeos are particularly hard to come by, so hope that an eager buyer may be out there. Where should I advertise it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Donedeal for advertising it, or else just scrap it if you'd be happy with ~€200 in your pocket without the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

dar83 wrote: »
    Donedeal for advertising it, or else just scrap it if you'd be happy with ~€200 in your pocket without the hassle.

How would I go about scrapping it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You go to donedeal where there are plenty of adverts from guys who will arrive with a trailer, offer you money and take it away. If it is driveable or you can trailer it to a scrap yard then you might get a few more quid for it. Just remember to get a certificate of destruction from the crowd who are scrapping it otherwise it will still be registered in your name.

Thanks very much, Bazz, Dar; I'll think about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Do not even think about using one of the "we buy scrap cars for cash guys" especially the ones advertising on donedeal or on signs around towns. If you do want to scrap the car then legally it must be done this way:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/buying_or_selling_a_vehicle/how_to_dispose_of_an_end_of_life_vehicle.html

• Advertisement

From that site: "An end-of-life vehicle (or ELV)…"

(sob)

One thing that site doesn't seem to say (unless I'm overlooking it) is where to find such a facility. Are these facilities the scrapyards people were talking about above?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Do not even think about using one of the "we buy scrap cars for cash guys" especially the ones advertising on donedeal or on signs around towns. If you do want to scrap the car then legally it must be done this way:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/buying_or_selling_a_vehicle/how_to_dispose_of_an_end_of_life_vehicle.html

Id have no problem selling a car to we buy cars for cash crowd, so long as the log is signed over to his name. If he wants to dismantle the car illegally thats his call, its not up to me to play the moral high ground.

Op if it was me Id ring around a few of scrap yards and see what they'd give you for it. Then id advertise it on done deal, with a few euro added on for haggle room.

Thanks, Quad. good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

At a very optimistic level your probably looking at less than 50 of them on the road in Ireland at the moment, selling it for parts would take years to make any decent return worth bothering with. Perhaps stick it on Pistonheads or some UK sites and there would be more interest.

Hm, it looks like the happy hope of 200 nice euros into the economy is unrealistic; Dublin City Council's page says you just hand it in and go away!

http://www.dublincity.ie/WATERWASTEENVIRONMENT/WASTE/WASTEREGULATIONSOFFICE/Pages/EndofLifeVehicleRegulations.aspx

• Advertisement

Did you actually ring any scrapyards and see if they were interested? It should be worth a few quid in scrap mental along.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Did you actually ring any scrapyards and see if they were interested? It should be worth a few quid in scrap mental along.

Rang one that I've found to be honest, and they said no thanks, bring it to a recycler.

Fair enough but I'd ring around a few others before recycling it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Fair enough but I'd ring around a few others before recycling it.

Tried two more, no interest. It doesn't seem like there's a big run on 96 Mondeos this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

KIlcock scrap yard you can drive it in and they will take it off you. They pay what ever the scrap metal value is by weight. I brought a 2003 Mondeo into them last year and they weighed it, said the current value was €120 Euro per tonne, my mondeo was 1.3 Tonne so they gave me €150. The prices fluctuate slightly but you'll probably get in around that money.

They also provide you with a end of life cert!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

From that site: "An end-of-life vehicle (or ELV)…"

(sob)

One thing that site doesn't seem to say (unless I'm overlooking it) is where to find such a facility. Are these facilities the scrapyards people were talking about above?

a quick call to your local country council or corporation will tell you. Ask for the enviromental section/officer....they'll have the fill list of local proper licenced ELV facilities to you.

Mick55 wrote: »
    KIlcock scrap yard you can drive it in and they will take it off you. They pay what ever the scrap metal value is by weight. I brought a 2003 Mondeo into them last year and they weighed it, said the current value was €120 Euro per tonne, my mondeo was 1.3 Tonne so they gave me €150. The prices fluctuate slightly but you'll probably get in around that money.

Looking for them online and can't find a number - not in phone book. There's a couple of places with different names…

Looking for them online and can't find a number - not in phone book. There's a couple of places with different names…

Kilcock Car Dismantlers

Contact Details:
    Tel: 01 6289160 / 01 6285671
    Fax: 01 6290797
    Email: info@kilcockcardismantlers.ie
    Address:
    Kilcock Car Dismantlers Recycling Centre,
    Laragh,
    Kilcock,
    Co.Kildare

GPS Coordinates: 53.37938 -6.66423

Kilcock Car Dismantlers

Contact Details:
    Tel: 01 6289160 / 01 6285671
    Fax: 01 6290797
    Email: info@kilcockcardismantlers.ie
    Address:
    Kilcock Car Dismantlers Recycling Centre,
    Laragh,
    Kilcock,
    Co.Kildare

Thanks, Mick, I was actually ringing the first of those numbers with no result. Out for lunch, maybe…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

You could always try advertising the car on some forums, someone might just be looking for one for spares

• Advertisement

This is true, dgt, but I kind of figure that a scrapyard is more likely to want the car for spares than a citizen, if there are so few on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

This is true, dgt, but I kind of figure that a scrapyard is more likely to want the car for spares than a citizen, if there are so few on the road.

This is the thing: the car is 18 years old. A scrappy will most likely fire it in the baler as the parts wouldn't be in demand by the masses, that's the sad reality of it. I can't remember the last time I saw a mk1 Mondeo on the roads down here. Parts such as the lights, doors, panels etc would be sought after due to so few left. It's worth a try

On the flipside, if you want the money quick I know 2 yards that pay well (£120-£150 a ton), they're in the north though

dgt wrote: »
    This is the thing: the car is 18 years old. A scrappy will most likely fire it in the baler as the parts wouldn't be in demand by the masses, that's the sad reality of it. I can't remember the last time I saw a mk1 Mondeo on the roads down here. Parts such as the lights, doors, panels etc would be sought after due to so few left. It's worth a try

On the flipside, if you want the money quick I know 2 yards that pay well (£120-£150 a ton), they're in the north though

Thanks, I'll think about it, though the long drive is a bit of a foreigner!

I just rang them and they told me they'd give me €105; I had a nasty suspicion that this is the Woman's Price, but perhaps this is an unkind suggestion.

I just rang them and they told me they'd give me €105; I had a nasty suspicion that this is the Woman's Price, but perhaps this is an unkind suggestion.

Maybe ring them back and ask them whet they are offering per tonne. Your car weighs 1.3 Tonnes ( According to Wikipedia ) so what ever they are offering per tonne just multiply it by 1.3 ( If they are offering €120 per tonne then 120 X 1.3 = €156 ).

I think at the end of the day its up to their discretion what they offer, if they feel they wont make a turnaround on it they mightn't offer anything decent. Tell then you know someone who got rid of a car with them before and they paid full scrap metal price!

Hey, could you ring them in your big man voice ;)

I'd spend 5 euro on the ad and list it on done deal at 300 euro. No biters at the end of the week offering more than 100 then bring it to kilcock.
    Before making the advert, give it a good wash, dry it and give it a good Hoover. Then take photos. 10 is the max so take them all. Photo of the sides, the front and back, the engine bay, the boot, the rear seats, the front seats and a photo of the dash. Then take a photo of any receipts for work done that you have, previous nct's and the fail sheet.

In the ad list out its service history, whatever has been replaced etc. Also list on what it failed the nct on.

To whomever said there won't be that much market for parts, I've a donor phase 1 gtv. From that car I've got 350 back, that's only from selling bits of the interior and the backbox and a tail light. I still have all the valuable parts, including the rear suspension. There's very few left in ireland, back in 2011 there was 23 registered on the road.

I'd spend 5 euro on the ad and list it on done deal at 300 euro. No biters at the end of the week offering more than 100 then bring it to kilcock.
    Before making the advert, give it a good wash, dry it and give it a good Hoover. Then take photos. 10 is the max so take them all. Photo of the sides, the front and back, the engine bay, the boot, the rear seats, the front seats and a photo of the dash. Then take a photo of any receipts for work done that you have, previous nct's and the fail sheet.

Thanks, Quadr, but remember I'm selling this for parts or scrap, not to drive. The very last thing I want is for some kid to buy it because it's cheap and drive dangerously in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

My lovely 1996 Ford Mondeo has finally come to the end of the trail. I'd like to sell it for parts, but how do I go about it?
    It has 123,800 miles on the clock, not much for 1996, I'm told.
    It has a great engine - three drivers: a German from the car showroom, who had it meticulously cared for on schedule; a solicitor who drove it to work in Dublin and across the country, and me, driving it during my freelance work - all three adding up to that 123,800 miles over 18 years. It's been maintained by the same mechanic all along.
    It's failed the NCT, and would cost too much to do the upgrades required. I feel that it's paid back all it owes to me. But I'm told that parts for 1996 Ford Mondeos are particularly hard to come by, so hope that an eager buyer may be out there. Where should I advertise it?
    what was the most serious nct fail on it? 123000miles is nothing on a well maintained car.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Quadr, but remember I'm selling this for parts or scrap, not to drive. The very last thing I want is for some kid to buy it because it's cheap and drive dangerously in it.

Fair enough, good to see some people have more morals than myself. I'm known to be a whoooore for money though. What did it fail the nct on.
    Some young chap could buy it and fix it up and have a nice cheap car. Just because it's a scrap car. To you doesn't mean it's a scrap car to someone else.

Advertisement