Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post workout headaches

Options
  • 11-06-2014 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I am hoping someone can give me advice on post work out headaches. I am currently writing this as I lay on my couch accompanied by a head ache. I tend to get these headaches when I return to getting fit...it lasts for about 3 days. Has anyone any idea why? I am conscious about my water intake before during and after working out so I think I can eliminate that. My healthy eating is basically very healthy and I eat a decent breakast (porridge and boiled egg), lunch ( poultry or fish with salad...lettuce ,mixed peppers cherry tomatoes,celery and low fat triangle of cheese occasionally) dinner ( fillet of chicken or a piece of salmon or lean steak mince with wholegrain rice and broccoli plus another veg) I eat green fruit if I ever feel peckish so based in that I think my eating habits can be eliminated. I just would love to know what's going on!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Can you just specify for us how much water you drink

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭char101

bluewolf wrote: »
    Can you just specify for us how much water you drink

3litres the days im working out and 2litres when im on rest days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I have a bit of a back muscle issue that gives me a headache if I do certain exercises. It usually goes if I get a massage and I try to work around the problems so I don't get them.

Could you rule out that kind of head ache? If your putting pressure on your neck and shoulders it could be a cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

sometimes if I don't eat enough or low on carbs by accident I can get headaches

but tend to be mid workout and gone by shower time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

To be honest, it could be a load of different things that cause it; from what's in what you eat to how hydrated you are to how you workout, etc etc.

If it's something that's happening regularly, go to a doctor. It's usually straightforward but at least you'll know how to prevent it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Try adding salt occasionally. 'Healthy' diets tend to be low in it. Sometimes I use LoSalt, not because it's low in sodium but because it has added potassium. This potassium is in chloride form which is dangerous if over-consumed, so be careful. 3 litres of water is a lot. Water consumption is pushed to ridiculous levels. Too much water will strip your body of minerals (that salt contains) so drink when you're thirsty and no more. It's also a vicious cycle, when you drink more water you excrete more, so slowly wean yourself off excessive intake.

Try adding salt occasionally. 'Healthy' diets tend to be low in it. Sometimes I use LoSalt, not because it's low in sodium but because it has added potassium. This potassium is in chloride form which is dangerous if over-consumed, so be careful. 3 litres of water is a lot. Water consumption is pushed to ridiculous levels. Too much water will strip your body of minerals (that salt contains) so drink when you're thirsty and no more. It's also a vicious cycle, when you drink more water you excrete more, so slowly wean yourself off excessive intake.

Thanks for the reply. I never thought of the salt! There is literally no salt in my healthy eating so I must try it. I woke up with the migraine this morning and had no other choice but to take pain killers which I hate doing. I know 3 litres is alot but in this current whether I sweat alot more when working out so I feel the need to replenish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wouldn't call 3L all that much particularly on workout days
    I mean not low, but not particularly high
    Salt's a good idea

char101 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I never thought of the salt! There is literally no salt in my healthy eating so I must try it. I woke up with the migraine this morning and had no other choice but to take pain killers which I hate doing. I know 3 litres is alot but in this current whether I sweat alot more when working out so I feel the need to replenish.

When you sweat you lose electrolytes as well as water, some of which are salts, so when you replace the water you lose by drinking normal water you aren't replacing the lost salts. A common method we were adviced to do with football was a pinch of water, teaspoon of sugar and a splash of orange concentrate for taste. That's basically what lucozade sport is. Switch around the ratios for your goals eg if you're cutting back on sugar/calories don't add as much/any sugar to your water.

I would only use salt in water when you're working out and just put a dash on your food throughout the day. Be careful with salt though, don't add too much to your diet at once as your body is very sensitive to fluctuations in it. Also you might gain scale weight but that is the body holding water, you won't even notice in the mirror so I wouldn't worry about that.

I mean not low, but not particularly high
    Salt's a good idea

Me either, I probably drink 3L in a workout! I can't help it but I'd rather I drank less. If you could keep your electrolyte balance some what constant it wouldn't matter but if your not getting adequate salt in your diet, the more water you drink the more salt you excrete. So I agree with you totally but in this specific context I think it's too high, unless salt is added.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I get these REALLY badly. Like a throbbing, painful headache. It puts me off working out.

I've tried drinking sports drinks but that only helps a tiny bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ye first thing that came to my mind was dehydration too.
    Had the same thing when I was younger (kid & teen). Played football like mad but wasn't really thirsty after. Nearly gave it up due to the headaches and couldn't figure it out. Eventually my parents copped it. No problems ever again. 25 years on and I'm still not terribly thirsty after exercise but I make myself drink enough and have no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Is it normal to also feel kind of sick too? Sometimes when I workout for a few mins after I'll have a throbbing headache and feel very queasy.

It goes away again though once my pulse returns to normal.

Mostly happens if I try anything aerobically intense like spinning.

If I managed 3L of water any day I'd have called the Guinness Book of Records.

If I managed 3L of water any day I'd have called the Guinness Book of Records.

Hahahaha ohhh that gave me a well needed laugh this morning :)...its easy when you're working out I think, I would easily drink a litre when in the gym

I never bring a bottle to fill at the water cooler and the old water fountain looks like it's primarily been used as a bidet...

I'd go through 2L on a 2 hour jog in the gym :/ I'm a thirsty person!

I'd go through 2L on a 2 hour jog in the gym :/ I'm a thirsty person!

Jaysus I wish I could jog for two hours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

@ op do you suffer from headaches/migraines at any other time?

I suffer from bad headaches and awful migraines (runs in my father's family) and I've actually ended up in a & e 3 or 4 times the last few years my migraines get so bad. Anyways I had to stop using the gym or if I'm tired stop doing vigorous work as the doctor says it causes my blood vessels to narrow which brings on bad headaches. Sometimes after I'd been to the gym the headache would get so bad I'd be vomiting with it.

Jaysus I wish I could jog for two hours ;)

Trust me you'd walk it faster... :p

• Advertisement

Trust me you'd walk it faster... :p

Haahhahahahaha.....not long hone from the gym and I feel ok thank god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I am hoping someone can give me advice on post work out headaches. I am currently writing this as I lay on my couch accompanied by a head ache. I tend to get these headaches when I return to getting fit...it lasts for about 3 days. Has anyone any idea why? I am conscious about my water intake before during and after working out so I think I can eliminate that. My healthy eating is basically very healthy and I eat a decent breakast (porridge and boiled egg), lunch ( poultry or fish with salad...lettuce ,mixed peppers cherry tomatoes,celery and low fat triangle of cheese occasionally) dinner ( fillet of chicken or a piece of salmon or lean steak mince with wholegrain rice and broccoli plus another veg) I eat green fruit if I ever feel peckish so based in that I think my eating habits can be eliminated. I just would love to know what's going on!

How is your breathing?

People can get headaches from not breathing correctly during lifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I'm one of those lucky people who rarely gets headaches (maybe once or twice a year).. However, my brother had this problem a while ago and salt water sorted him out.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

They only time I got a post workout headache was when I bent down to pick up a plate and lamped my head of the barbell on the way back up :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Not only do you need water after excise but you also lose salts and stuff when you're sweating. I like having a large glass of water after soccer with one of those supplement tablets like Berocca. Much better than the likes of Lucozade which are just glorified sugar water.

In fact an old coach of mine taught us the best thing after a match is a large beer. And it wasn't that he was looking for an excuse to have beer, he was serious. Has all you need to replenish. If you can trust yourself to leave it at one that is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I used to get post run headaches. It was actually putting me off running. It'd come on a couple of hours after a run and could be a total crippler.

I discovered it was coming my my shoulder/neck muscles. Now after a run I do the following sets and no more headaches:

Clap my arms back and forth across my body 10-15 times.
    Bring both arms up from the front and up over the head 10-15 times.
    Bring both arms from over the head down 10-15 times (like butterfly crawl).
    Hang the head doing neck stretches from side to side.
    Bend at the waist with arms out, hands on wall, mid back stretch.

I also do the usual calf, hamstring etc stretches but the above lot are the headache preventers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I get really bad headaches too but making an effort to breathe properly has lessened the problem. Don't talk to anyone and just concentrate on breathing when doing cardio work

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

For me, that tends to indicate I'm either not hydrated sufficiently, or I'm particularly exhausted and haven't managed to get enough calories, or carbs to fuel my run/workout.

For me, that tends to indicate I'm either not hydrated sufficiently, or I'm particularly exhausted and haven't managed to get enough calories, or carbs to fuel my run/workout.

Your username has me intrigued. Were u fat (hate using that word) and then got ripped??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Your username has me intrigued. Were u fat (hate using that word) and then got ripped??

I was chubby. I'm now less chubby. But not ripped. The name is pretty pointless and more a little semi-amusing motivator for myself which relates to my goal.

Why do you ask? :)

Advertisement