Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name That Art

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Red Hare wrote: »
    Well spotted New Home - I was full sure it was by Gauguin and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't locate the correct painting .

Andre-Derain-The-Turning-Road-Lestraque.jpg

Andre Derain - The Turning Road

I was convinced it was Gauguin too, with those colours... but that's why I said 'Thank you, Internet!' ;)Yes, it was probably cheating...
    Oblomov wrote: »
    What browser are youy running?

I'm using Mozilla, version 37.0.1 - I know there's a newer version but I haven't updated it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

I'm using Mozilla, version 37.0.1 - I know there's a newer version but I haven't updated it yet.

Cneck under "options" that you set up for automatic update

Check that cookies are set to "allow"

Then try again. I've just tried Firefox and straight to, both as URL and thro Google

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks for all your help Oblomov, but it's still not working for me - I guess it might be firewall- or antivirus-related. I'll try all over again tomorrow, hopefully it'll work then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

346128.jpg[/QUOTE]

I reckon I can see some sort of Winged Figure behind the Max Ernst but I'm not able to nail it!

Any chance of revealing some more or a clue of some kind? :)

I'll give you a clue: it's a meeting of hearts and minds... ;)

• Advertisement

Ok, another bit of the image may help. :)

346818.jpg

Hmmm Could it be....hmmmm

It should be easy, now... :o

347544.jpg

Here we go

How about "Psyche Revived by Cupid’s Kiss"

By Antonio CANOVA (1757 – 1822)

It's in the louvre... Why did I not know that?????

4DX75L.jpg

Bingo, that's it. It's usually kept in the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, could it be in the Louvre on loan?

https://www.hermitagemuseum.org/wps/portal/hermitage/digital-collection/06.+Sculpture/56792/?lng=en

EDIT - I looked it up, Canova sculpted two of these, as you do... the first is now in the Louvre, and the second, slightly different version, is in the Hermitage Museum.

• Advertisement

Well, I never knew that

LOL

Thank you, Red Hare

Your turn, Oblomov :)

5wcZtX.jpg

I'm thinking it's the chap that wraps the outside of buildings and the inside of rooms using fabric, but a. I can't remember his name, and b. it's probably not him anyway...

For some reason, I'm also thinking 'Galway Arts Festival'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

The Weather Project by Olafur Eliasson?

Most excellent...Yes, Indeed...

Watching everyone walking in and suddenly laying on the floor... LOL Would you walk into a gallery and suddenly lie down??

Fabulous effect, hugely popular..

OK, I'll get to work on my entry now.

6s7NGk.jpg

at the Tate Modern, Turbine hall..

Hopefully this isn't too easy.

VgwlVuB.jpg

OOHHHH TTToooo Easy... the diagonal line.. gives it away.

5vCQsD.jpg

The Ambassadors
    1533, Hans Holbein the Younger

• Advertisement

Lingua Franca, try again ... possible a less popular art work

Ok, if this one is also too easy I'll have to bow out, I don't know that much about art.

3nPysMx.jpg

That's what this thread is very good for, learning, both from the submissions and from your own research..

Moew about making it a challenge. Good luck

No more guesses? I'm going on holiday for a few days now and will only be able to post and not update the image so here's the picture again and a clue: a huge secret was recently uncovered in this painting.

edTxYbb.jpg

Enjoy your holiday Lingua Franca. Dont worry it often takes a week or two to get the correct answer. We'll be here when you come back.

View of Scheveningen Sands by Hendrick van Anthonissen

6AhSiu.jpg

The beached whale in the painting was recently discovered after restoration.
    This is the original below;

4YM75q.jpg

"It was always a bit of a puzzle what the people clustered on the sands, or peering down from the dunes, were actually looking at on a bleak stretch of windswept Dutch beach. The startling truth has just been revealed, after the conservator Shan Kuang took a delicate scalpel to a painting which has been in the collection of the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge for the past 140 years. "
    ( The Guardian)

Well done!

Not a very well known work by a very well known artist.
    Matthew Barney is the covering image.
    7JtyeM.jpg

Accidentally - this one I've chosen is quite hard, the authorship of the artwork is somewhat in dispute - so here are some clues....

The artist whom I understand made this work has signed it - Artist A- I covered this up.

Online, this work is incorrectly attributed to another artist ( artist B).

Both these artists A & B were friends. Artist A was British and Artist B was British/ Swiss.

The game is to find the name of the Artwork and also I'll accept with this either Artist's name - bonus points if you can get both.

• Advertisement

Does that mean I get an extra stamp in my "Name that Art" bonus book??

Please say Yes

Advertisement