Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Leaving Cert AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE 2014-predictions,discussion,queries etc**

Options
  • 11-06-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Alright guys about a week left let's get this started!Talk about anything in this subject.

My predictions(not really):

soil question so definitely going to know to know top to bottom on it.
    Grass question-must know
    Little question on sheep maybe about fostering a lamb,question on feeding/maintaining suckler cows,life cycle of liverfluke,questions on genetics especially embryo implantation,asexual reproduction in plants ,vegetative propagation(grafting etc.)

definitions on general husbandry such as Dagging,dipping,tail docking, genetics definitions such as polyploidy,allele,hybrid vigour or heterosis,soil ones like immibitional water,water table,loamy soil,humus etc.

Experiments:
    %fat content in milk
    Isolating DNA from a plant sample
    Demonstrate flocculation

From the top of my head gotta find some more,your thoughts :D.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

I'd say we'll be getting a good deal on forestry this year, probably in Q9.

Also I didn't think isolating plant DNA was on the ag science course. I reckon we'll get selective herbicide and milk test.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SoundInfluence

Good old % organic matter will come up in Q4.. And hopefully a nice soil experiment in Q2 like compare capillarity between 2 contrasting soils!

Crazy that Q1,2,4 and 7 equate to 204 marks out of 300 and you know what can pretty much come up!

Crazy that Q1,2,4 and 7 equate to 204 marks out of 300 and you know what can pretty much come up!

I never realised they were worth that much.... that's pretty much 75% overall predicted (including the project)..... Ridiculous! :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I'm looking forward to Ag Science :) Since January I have put so much work into Ag and I'm hoping it pays off! I have to avoid Q7 because I never understood the crosses but other than that it shouldn't be too bad. I'm not sorted yet for the experiments though, There are so many of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

I'd say we'll be getting a good deal on forestry this year, probably in Q9.

Also I didn't think isolating plant DNA was on the ag science course. I reckon we'll get selective herbicide and milk test.

We never did forestry in my class :0 oh we'll you can skip it right?
    Good old % organic matter will come up in Q4.. And hopefully a nice soil experiment in Q2 like compare capillarity between 2 contrasting soils!

That's quite crazy but I am not sure about my project though,especially my pictures which turned out to so bad.I had to stick in purple cows because of that faulty cartridge in my the printer :€
    I'm looking forward to Ag Science :) Since January I have put so much work into Ag and I'm hoping it pays off! I have to avoid Q7 because I never understood the crosses but other than that it shouldn't be too bad. I'm not sorted yet for the experiments though, There are so many of them!
    If u did biology you might fly through the EXPs :-|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatzLogin

Does anyone have any Ag-Science predictions?

Post your Predictions and what you plan to study for both levels so I can get an idea what I should study.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExpensiveClock

WhatzLogin wrote: »
    Does anyone have any Ag-Science predictions?

Post your Predictions and what you plan to study for both levels so I can get an idea what I should study.

I predict cows. Lots of them

What experiments do ye all know? People keep saying the experiments are the easiest question and I think that it's the hardest :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Owen.N

Alright lads ( and ladies )it's less than a week to go till **** hits the fan. So we'll start of with a few predictions. Pretty obvious every year, the genetics and soil and that dodgy question 9 which is unpredictable. That and dairy, pig breeding, animal feed stuffs and nutrients, grass and root crops.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

IVE GOT LIKE 4 DAYS TO CRAM THE WHOLE AG COURSE INTO MY SKULL, TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD REALLY BE FOCUSING ON COS I WANNA GET LIKE A C OR B

• Advertisement

Badwulf wrote: »
    IVE GOT LIKE 4 DAYS TO CRAM THE WHOLE AG COURSE INTO MY SKULL, TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD REALLY BE FOCUSING ON COS I WANNA GET LIKE A C OR B

Dairy
    Beef
    Pigs (rarely comes up but sometimes as a comparison but you're better off not risking it)
    Sheep

Grassland
    Grazing Systems
    Cereals (Potatoes and Barley)

Genetics

Experiments

Soil is optional really but if you can handle it it's a good one to know seeing as it's guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatzLogin

I predict cows. Lots of them

no reason to be a smart-ass ..
    don't reply if you dont have anything useful to say ..

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Some practice Q9's.

Give Scientific explanations for:

a. Candling chicken eggs after 5 days in an incubator.
    b. Thinning of forests after 10 years.
    c. Autumn ploughing
    d. Taking Soil samples.
    e. Ventilation in Farm Buildings

Enjoy!

T0001 wrote: »
    Some practice Q9's.

Give Scientific explanations for:

a. Candling chicken eggs after 5 days in an incubator.
    b. Thinning of forests after 10 years.
    c. Autumn ploughing
    d. Taking Soil samples.
    e. Ventilation in Farm Buildings

Enjoy!

Do people plan on answering Q9?

It seems like by far the hardest one to prepare for and just completely unpredictable

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Do people plan on answering Q9?

It seems like by far the hardest one to prepare for and just completely unpredictable

It can often look hard, but it's fairly easy to bluff it too if you know anything about the topic at all. They only look for 3 points for each so if you have time at the end, right a few points on it if you can and it can be handy marks!

Effort of ag study with this weather.....

Anyone have any even half ideas about what might be there?

Q1,2,4,7 are okay, but I still need 2 others! Effort....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I'll be doing Q1,2,4,7,9 and probably one of the options on 3, like usual.
    ALlhough we has so much time in the mocks alot of us did extra questions

Hopefully answering every question apart from Q7 and Q9

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Derek101

If you have 2 days to study for the test what would the main sections be very far behind and need to cram a lot in. Also what experiments would people recommend doing and which ones are likely to come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

For question 9 do you only have to give 1 note or 3 notes?

E.G. (b) Teat dipping of cows after milking.

Answer- Disinfect the teat.

Would this suffice?

• Advertisement

For question 9 do you only have to give 1 note or 3 notes?

E.G. (b) Teat dipping of cows after milking.

Answer- Disinfect the teat.

Would this suffice?

You have to give at least 3 points, just write EVERYTHING you know or think might be half right!

Eg: dip teats to disinfect teats from bacteria using an iodine spray. Prevents mastitis that would lead to losses. Reduces TBC of the milk etc....

Not all relevant but there isn't any negative marking!

So tempted to drop down pass on the day, but the fact I only bet around 40 points with a B is ridiculous...

What experiments do ye think will come up. I got some serious narrowing down to do.

What I know
    Cows
    Sheep
    Dairy
    Pigs
    Geneitics

and thats it <3 D3 here I come <333

What I know
    Cows
    Sheep
    Dairy
    Pigs
    Geneitics

and thats it <3 D3 here I come <333

I know the same but I always get confused as to what they are actually asking then when I see the marking scheme it's like I knew that! Learning pigs at the minute :cool:

whats must know for soil?

I'd say the soil experiments would be good to know. There isn't too many of them to learn before tomorrow.

How many pages was everyones folder? :pac:

How many pages was everyones folder? :pac:

My Project was 100 pages...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Louisew97

I wouldn't spend a lot of time on sheep as it only comes up on small part of a question . Grassland comes up a lot . My teacher just said keep writing and answering as much questions as possible !!

Advertisement