Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No, didn't even ask or hint about handing over the watch. Also did the spiel about having checked prices online, did the negotiation, etc. His teenage son was outside waiting in the car too.

Wife a bit freaked out that he now knows I have the watch in the house, even though it is fully insured all risks on my home insurance and I wear it 24/7 anyway

No, through the cesspit that is FB marketplace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Messy... Probably risky selling from the house but sure like the horror stories you hear about private sales of cars could be risky meeting elsewhere as well for something so valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

hard to know where’s the best place to meet for a sale .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭893bet

This is why adverts is so amazing. Feedback that can be verified and routed through.

A fella I have bought from and sold to was held up for an omega in a car park type meeting two years ago or so.

• Advertisement

Even if you pick the safest place in the world they might not show up but follow you else where. Its one of the reasons I like dealing with someone I know or a dealer.

So needless to say, a good deal can be had on the Cameron now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

the scammer was not being pushy to make you feel relaxed and then hand over the item, think of it like fishing and they have put out the bait which is the photo of the fake bank transfer and they need you to bits and then they will reel you in and head away, the fact they met a savvy seller means it didn’t work but when you realise how many people are naive and often so desperate for money that they will fall for a scam very easily and they often feel so stupid when they realise they have been stung they don’t tell anyone or report it.

Reassure your wife the house is fine and it’s just a scammer that tried and failed, they won’t come back to burgle the house which is a riskier crime than a quick scam.

I’ve encountered loads of scammers over the years on adverts done deal and ebay but thanks fully I’ve never been duped

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Half thinking of passing on my Omega X-33 Speedmaster Skywalker Gen 2

It's a fairly niche watch so should anyone be interested let me know.

Yes unkle being clued up was probably the reason this scam didn’t work and as you say there’s plenty out there not as experienced in selling that would be caught out .

There’s easier ways of robbing a watch than introducing yourself and then coming back for it, But It never stops to amaze me the number of homeowners who ignore home security. Before you have expensive things in the house you should be paying for cameras,alarms, motion detection , high quality safes and not a woodies €100 special safe than can be opened with a hammer .

• Advertisement

Or just pay the €100 per €10k value on all risk insurance cover 😂

You’ve a lot of trust in insurance providers .Wouldn’t be my experience

What do you expect the insurance company to do if the watch got stolen during a burglary? You seem to think there is any way they could wriggle out of that?

so you’d rather have someone break into your house , rob your property and then try to claim from the insurance company and pay higher premiums for next 5 years then to spend a couple of grand on your house as a precaution to deter someone breaking in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

There are loads of ways:

• Reasonable precautions clauses especially, were you taking due care of the item, did you "deliberately court a danger" they have loads of ways out here.
    • Then they will look at the valuations and try to give you as little as possible claiming the valuation is out of date or was not updated as per their small print on a yearly basis.
    • There is the fact the watch was not in the safe, or if on your person your safe if specified was not to the correct certification.
    • If they take it from your person there is the medical fees for the broken arm and broken eye socket (no you wont be a hero when woken up in your jocks at 3am with somebody standing over you).
    • There is the security system you may have and its working order.
    • Did you own the item?, if you had to prove you owned it could you? This sounds simple but can be tricky with a watch. How do they know you had not switched it out for a fake? Usually this is by annual valuations, when I was holding a lot of watches I was tortured getting valuations for insurance.
    • Then there is excess on the policy, and increases due to a claim which is all a loss for you.
    • There is the cost of moving house cause your wife freaks out and feels unsafe (its happened to me).
    • There is the car they steal at the same time while they are there. The broken window, the scared kids, the lost dog, the missing phone and wallet,
    • The lost earning due to the 40 hours it take to sort all the stuff out during working hours.

When insurance say they cover all risks….they do, until they have to write a cheque and then its a game of getting out of that, or writing the smallest cheque they can. You will certainly be offered a fraction of the value of the watch, they will have an assessor find the cheapest one in Europe at dealer offer prices, and thats what you will get if lucky. I bet if you posted your policy fine print we could find 15 ways they can avoid paying out, especially on a asset like a watch which is so open to fraud. Even if they do pay out, its will not be an easy process.

Post edited by Fitz II on

That's it. Dumping all my watches and buying an F-91W 😁

As for insurance. If you have a high value claim (5 figure sum minimum) coming up, contact a professional private assessor and let them handle it. They take their cut but you will get paid. From experience, you will almost certainly get paid net more than if you handled the claim yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's one of those watches, like the Breitling emergency, that has always held a bit of a grá on my part. I imagine it'd be one that's hard to find an Irish buyer for?

This isn't the start of me trying to lowball you on it. I doubt I'll be buying anything until the autumn at the earliest, more that I'm interested in both the unusual watch and the problem you might have in shifting such a niche one within Ireland.

Good luck with whatever you do with it?

Thats well and good, but if the assessor cannot prove you owned the item, took due care, and conformed to the terms of the insurance, then you are SOL…you just get to pay somebody to tell you that nicely. Look we all insure our watches, or if not know that we are at risk. But at the same time, you do have a tendency to lean on the fact you have insurance as some silver bullet that mitigates your risk. 10 euro per thousand is very cheap on contents, almost 1/3 of what I pay per thousand and thats without the loading on the house valuation that come with contents.

Evidence points that you are dumping your watches. If I were some bright assessor for an insurance company I would want up-to-date proof of ownership and authenticity and would be combing over the details of the policy, because a guy who is selling all his watches ( a portable, easily hidden cash commodity) on Sunday, and its robbed on Monday is rightly open to some scrutiny. At the end of the day it comes down to what you can prove and the conditions of your policy.

I have had a house break in some years back, where they stole a 80k car, did 15k damage to another, did 10k damage to the house and took another 5k worth of chattels from the house…I was in the house at the time. I had to go fully legal with my own assessor, solicitor, and the ombudsman involved against the insurance, and in the end and still only got a fraction of the value especially taking into account my own costs. Insurance will not make you whole, it will only stop financial ruination, the thought of using it gives me no solace, cause for glee or reason for complacency. I have had simple interactions with insurance also where everything was smooth, but the more complex the claim (and theft, robbery or burglary can be complex), the more hardship is to be expected.

I can't argue with anything you've said. And if I lived in a more dangerous city, I wouldn't be owning any expensive watches, not worth the risk.

That said, about insurance. Sorry about your experience, nightmare. I've had one claim myself, years ago. If I had handled it myself I would have been left thousands short of being whole. A savvy friend recommended a particular private assessor who made me whole, even after his fee. And that's after he told me his counterpart assessor from my insurance company was one of the worst ones to deal with. For one, he miss-measured my house because he used the old skool definition based on the square footage of the outside of the house (that hadn't been the norm in the industry for many years) and deducted 20% off the agreed value of the claim.

TBF you do live in the highest risk county of the country so you should be security conscious.Apart from all the issues Fitz points out , would you not want to protect your home and deter any potential intruders to your house?

• Advertisement

Indeed prevention is much better than cure. I have sold a lot of watches to 893bet and bought a few off him, but I would not let him in my house, dodgy looking punter that one.😁 Usually get proof of address from prospective buyers (usually by offering them mine first) get a passport and a bill with their address and make sure they are a real person, take all communication to a medium where it's on their phone number, and ask them to drop a pin randomly when they are at home….speedy reply is reassuring. Get them to send you a euro to your account ahead of time. A genuine buyer will not find that at all offputting, in fact any issues with the immediate production of these things should ring alarm bells. Sound man, Thomaskuddy from adverts taught me these tricks, and he deals in some heavy heavy watches. Have to say Facebook marketplace is a stinking pile of rotten excrement, populated with mouth breathers.

have sold a lot of watches to 893bet and bought a few off him, but I would not let him in my house, dodgy looking punter that one.

I sat in his car once and he drove off with me shades. Limerick boys -says enough

ye are all joking but I was actually robbed by a Limerick lad.

Banie. VC.

Stay safe out there.

in Banie’s defence , he took advantage of a nordie so it’s acceptable

Edit : A wannabe nordie so that’s even worse

I believe spending time and money on attempting to protect your home (or car) is pointless. If someone wants something, they will get it. Better for them to just take it without anyone noticing, just claim it on the insurance. It's just a thing, not worth risking anyone's health over it

Car keys are in the hall plain for all to see. Lots of guards in the family and they will tell you what happens if you hide the car keys of the car they are after. I can pretend to be the brave man with the baseball bat under the pillow, but I am not. Although I honestly wouldn't know what I would do if confronted. Probably nothing or piss myself. But I wonder what happened if something would snap in me. The good thing in Ireland is that you are allowed to murder an intruder 😁

Jaysus, ya wouldn't want to be sensitive around here 😉 The mad thing is how much I'd have saved if I bought it the 1st time the idea was floated.

The mangled and weird combo of the US flavoured Dutch accent crossed with that Belfast twang, really is something in full flow...

Like a washing machine, on a spin cycle, with a load of bricks 🤣

Your logic is off a touch IMO. Yes the "if someone wants something, they will get it" has a ring of truth but, it misses a huge salient point.

The people that undertake that kind of crime fall into 2 broad categories. The "professional" who wants an easy job, in and out with maximum value and minimum evidence, and the opportunist, who spots an open door or window and rolls the dice. Those 2 risks are hugely mitigated by simple security hygeine, an alarm, CCTV and a check the entry points routine.

That won't stop a determined burglar who has your gaff in mind for a specific item or as a high value target. It will however give the majority enough of a pause that they will move on to a different house.

In other words: there is nothing you can do to stop the professional thief. And don't leave your doors / windows on the ground floor open to stop the opportunist dumb thief? Something to say for that, but I can't even quite agree with that

I have owned several soft roof convertibles. Always leave the doors open. If they want to have a look in, they can open the door not slash the roof. And that has indeed happened several times (those opportunist dumb thieves), even in my estate. Nothing in there of value, so nothing broken / stolen

And maybe I'm lucky, but in the near 25 years we live in the house, it has never been broken into. There's nearly always someone in the house though and there is never no car parked on the drive overnight. And there are a few guards living in the estate, who knows if that helps. Not much happening in the way of house break ins with any of the neighbours in the estate either but there was a wee spree over a few days a few years ago, it was reckoned a gang of traveling (ahum) thieves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Its an interesting topic, we recently had new windows and external doors and I was debating on whether bothering with an alarm.. we have a Google video doorbell, a camera out back and a barky jack Russell.. still went with the new alarm setup..

Pretty much, but? Should you be burgled by said professional whilst selling off a few pieces or if your alarm isn't activated and myriad other reasons, strap in with a decent loss assessor (as you mentioned earlier). As the Insurer will seek to nickel and dime you whilst trying to avoid paying.

I was burgled in 2007, not a hugely financially costly loss but, some bits belonging to my late wife were taken. It was one of those opportunistic crimes, I fell asleep with a window open.

I knew within a few hours who'd done it, that didn't get me my stuff back. I managed to get hold of 2 of them over the next few weeks and the 3rd handed himself in. He was out on bail for other offences and decided that time served on remand would suit him rather than risk running into me. He ended being remanded to a landing in Limerick Prison with a wayward brother of mine.

Now the point of the tale isn't that I was burgled, robbed of some irreplaceable items and took revenge. Revenge was/is stupid and it gained me nothing. Indeed if I'd not at least kept some degree of calm? I may well have ended up serving a sentence myself. Rather it's that the only reason it happened at all? Was that I made it easy, my complacency, cost me and almost cost me more even than being robbed.

Now on the actual subject of this thread 😉 buying and selling watches! I'm offering up my Green Monro Design.Adventure.

Current price is £399stg (€464) but there is a 25% off promo which brings it to £299.25 or €348 in real money. I got mine at the Kickstarter price, if memory serves that was £215 (€250)

So let's say €230 delivered? With box and original accessories, the fabric NATO is unworn.

I'll take some photos of the entire set and add them tmrw,.I'm the interim a quick overview of the specs and better photos than I can manage are available on the website:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

So, anyone selling a watch? 🤣

Advertisement