Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking marathons

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Does seem to be a bit of unnecessary tension between some walkers and runners.

Bit of that evident during Art O'Neill and you do get some less than helpful walkers while out running on the hills on occasion.

Don’t understand it myself. It’s the same pastime more or less. Particularly in the mountains, it seems a bit odd to exclude runners, particularly on a 50 mile route when the course is going to be open for 20 hours.

We’re all doing it because we enjoy the outdoors.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gota say I have no real problem with runners in marathons, only issues that are created is if they decide to string themselves right across the road making it difficult to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

RayCun wrote: »
    Absolutely no problem with walkers in a marathon, as long as they abide by the race rules and follow race etiquette - starting behind the people who are faster than them so they don't get in the way. That doesn't apply just to walkers, but to people finishing the marathon in 5, 4, 3 or 2 and a half hours

I do have an issue with people starting a marathon before the actual start like a few do in DCM. The race starts at x. You should get no result if you start early especially if your first name is Karl and second name Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

rom wrote: »
    I do have an issue with people starting a marathon before the actual start like a few do in DCM. The race starts at x. You should get no result if you start early especially if your first name is Karl and second name Henry.

Yeah, that's why I said "as long as they abide by the race rules" :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rom wrote: »

Isn't Karl Henry able to run? why would he be starting before the official start time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Cabaal wrote: »
    Isn't Karl Henry able to run? why would he be starting before the official start time?

I think he was supporting some runners with 'special needs' like some journalist or other :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

He accompanied the guy that appeared on Ray Darcy every month or so. He lost loads of weight and decided to do the marathon. He started early before official start in order to finish the race while the course was still open.

This annoyed some people for various reasons.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    He accompanied the guy that appeared on Ray Darcy every month or so. He lost loads of weight and decided to do the marathon. He started early before official start in order to finish the race while the course was still open.

The guy (he posted on here briefly) walked Dublin marathon one year, finishing after the course closed.
    He walked it again the following year, not much faster?, starting a couple of hours early to finish while the course was open.
    I just think he (and the other walkers who start early) should follow the rules of the race.

Especially since he advocates starting early if you can't finish it within the time limit rather than do some more training. If you can't do it within the limit then you shouldn't be doing the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I didn't think Karl Henry had anything to do Gary Kirwan running the marathon, aside from getting Ray Darcy involved, he went to Motivation weight loss clinic and I think his coach at the time was Chris Delooze in Limerick.

At DCM in 2012 Karl accompanied this lady Jillian McNulty a CF sufferer on the 2012 marathon, it was part of the Spartan Challenge http://www.cfireland.ie/pdf/Jillian_McNulty.pdf

I was out supporting in Terenure and I remember seeing both of them walk by, they were both walking to the side of the course and weren't getting in anybodys way.

• Advertisement

I think this woman started at the correct time
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87246259&postcount=964

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think this woman started at the correct time
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87246259&postcount=964

And beat me to post of the year :o

Actually I think she got special dispensation from DCM to start early (if I'm not wrong??). While others started early for selfish reasons...

menoscemo wrote: »
    And beat me to post of the year :o

Actually I think she got special dispensation from DCM to start early (if I'm not wrong??). While others started early for selfish reasons...

Don't think so. She's listed among the finishers (unlike Karl henry and Jillian McNulty), and her split times show a first half not much faster than her second. I think I saw her on Nassau Street not long after the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Don't think so. She's listed among the finishers (unlike Karl henry and Jillian McNulty), and her split times show a first half not much faster than her second. I think I saw her on Nassau Street not long after the start.

Yes, you're right. She started at 9:20am

Can't I just detest this guy please:

http://karlhenry.ie/karl-henry

http://karlhenry.ie/online-store

3:45 ish seems to be his marathon PB. Hardly warranting the 70 euro per hr price tag from someone who considers themselves a runner and fitness professional of TV standard.

Rule are rule. This guy wrote an article about if you don't think you are going to finish on time then simply start early as its a lot more congested last year. I'd ban him from the race if I had my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

<mod>
    Can we please stop the Karl Henry discussion and get back on topic?
    Please?
    </mod>

But there is at least one walking event where they categorically state that they do not want runners.

http://www.sneemjfkchallenge.com/

Which I find highly irritating as it's just round the corner from me and I would absolutely love to run it. :rolleyes: Especially so as the JFK thing they are referring to is organised as a 50 mile RUNNING event in the states.

A friend of mine (usually a runner) did walk it a couple of years ago and recommends it (<-- to bring this back on topic). It's a 50 mile walk though, not a walking marathon.

Not sure how, short of having the marshals you see at race walks, they could police it. I think one way would be checking shoes and insisting on boots, but even that wouldn't stop one breaking into a trot. Knowing some who enter it thought and who have done well, can kinda understand the desire though. One half decent runner would obliterate the times of all others and might mean that future years would see a reduced entry. So while I've thought about it, the thought of a 50 mile walk on roads would not appeal to me that much, and kinda feel leave them have one event that's still really aimed squarely at the walking market. Even saw some in their Inov8s running the Maamturks Challenge this year which meant they changed shoes after the mandatory kit check.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Not sure how, short of having the marshals you see at race walks, they could police it.

I can only talk for myself, but for me it's not a question of policing it. There is no way I would sneak into any event as a runner if they categorically state that they only allow walkers. That would be totally disrespectful towards the organisers and obnoxious behaviour.
    Knowing some who enter it thought and who have done well, can kinda understand the desire though. One half decent runner would obliterate the times of all others and might mean that future years would see a reduced entry.

To be honest, I can't see that point at all. It's not a race and times mean f*ck all in that kind of event. Why would runners suddenly ruin it for the walkers? Nothing would have changed for them!

I can only talk for myself, but for me it's not a question of policing it. There is no way I would sneak into any event as a runner if they categorically state that they only allow walkers. That would be totally disrespectful towards the organisers and obnoxious behaviour.

To be honest, I can't see that point at all. It's not a race and times mean f*ck all in that kind of event. Why would runners suddenly ruin it for the walkers? Nothing would have changed for them!

Oh as amongst themselves they know who did it fastest. Or at least I've heard who "won" it before anyway, even if it's not supposed to be competitive. Same as the Maamturks Crossing again, there is no time keeping at all, but fellows will still try to do it as fast as possible. That one would be frankly dangerous in runners, the descent to Maam Ochoige would be particularly exposed, but fellows do it still. The Sneem one wouldn't have that limitation at all, I think it's all on road so runners would probably be the best footwear anyway. Without wishing to annoy anyone reading this who has done it by suggesting it is aimed at the middle aged rambler rather than the athlete...it kinda seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 john guiry

eviltwin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or if any of the running events allow walkers to participate?

most marathons allow walkers. remember its 26 miles no matter bhow long it takes someone to do it

• Advertisement
Advertisement