Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking marathons

Options
  • 08-06-2014 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or if any of the running events allow walkers to participate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

eviltwin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if such a thing exists? Or if any of the running events allow walkers to participate?

Pretty much every Marathon is open to walkers. For example Dublin marathon has a 7.5 hr cut off. A decent walking pace should see you finish in about 6hrs.

A few Marathons have more aggressive cut off points so just check the rules and make sure you can finish inside the allotted time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Wait for.....waaaaait for it......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Someone call a Doctor!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not sure what the above replies are all about, its a genuine question for someone looking to do a charity event who isn't a runner not an invitation to take the piss. :mad:

Thanks Menoscemo for the serious reply, they did walk a half two years ago but they are an older person and felt a bit intimidated by all the runners. 7.5hrs is well within their range though so I'll put it to them, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Not sure what the above replies are all about, its a genuine question for someone looking to do a charity event who isn't a runner not an invitation to take the piss. :mad:

Thanks Menoscemo for the serious reply, they did walk a half two years ago but they are an older person and felt a bit intimidated by all the runners. 7.5hrs is well within their range though so I'll put it to them, thanks again.

This is a running forum. Walking marathons is pointless IMO. Why not do a long hike through the Wicklow mountains. Far more likely to get sponsorship money off people that way. Walking a marathon and then looking for money to do it will lead to the inevitable question from many "why are you not running it like most of the others?".

There really should be cut off times.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    This is a running forum. Walking marathons is pointless IMO. Why not do a long hike through the Wicklow mountains. Far more likely to get sponsorship money off people that way. Walking a marathon and then looking for money to do it will lead to the inevitable question from many "why are you not running it like most of the others?".

There really should be cut off times.

Well seeing as there is no walking forum this seemed like the best place, the clue was in the thread title for anyone who is bothered by walkers. Its a person who was a runner in a former life, he is now unable to due to an amputation, yeah he could raise money doing a dedicated walk but he wants to walk a marathon as he used to run them in the past and I suppose they hold a special place in his heart. I did ask for ones for walkers if such a thing existed, as I runner myself I know how dismissive of walkers a lot of runners can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Well seeing as there is no walking forum this seemed like the best place, the clue was in the thread title for anyone who is bothered by walkers. Its a person who was a runner in a former life, he is now unable to due to an amputation, yeah he could raise money doing a dedicated walk but he wants to walk a marathon as he used to run them in the past and I suppose they hold a special place in his heart. I did ask for ones for walkers if such a thing existed, as I runner myself I know how dismissive of walkers a lot of runners can be.

Well, that's different, and had you mentioned it in the first post then this could have been avoided. He is walking because he can't physically run. Much different to not running because he can't be arsed training for it, which is about 99% of people who walk marathons.

Well, that's different, and had you mentioned it in the first post then this could have been avoided. He is walking because he can't physically run. Much different to not running because he can't be arsed training for it, which is about 99% of people who walk marathons.

I'm just looking for info, didn't expect to have to justify it with the back story.

Apologies if i came across as taking the piss as it was not my intention. I was merely anticipating the piss taking to follow. By all means if anyone wants to walk a marathon they should be encouraged to do so, and the very best of luck to your friend if he decides to give it a bash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Typical responses here tbh. Who cares what the reason is why someone wants to walk a marathon? A request was made for some factual information and posters decided to judge and demean. No wonder it's off putting for new runners to post here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

It could also have been avoided if you kept your high horse tied up in his stall,in all fairness.

BTW there is actually an annual Marathon designed especially for walkers.
    Details here:
    http://visitballyhoura.com/index.php/2014/03/26/ballyhoura-international-walking-festival-3/

menoscemo wrote: »
    Details here:
    http://visitballyhoura.com/index.php/2014/03/26/ballyhoura-international-walking-festival-3/

That is perfect, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Please ignore the negativity/hostility eviltwin. The responses on here don't represent the welcoming nature of those involved in running in Ireland. So easy for smart alecs on here to hide behind a keyboard etc....

Anyway..

Dublin Marathon definitely facilitates walkers by letting them start early etc. You have 4-5 months to train for that. There are many people who walk lots of the smaller marathons around Ireland. Best maybe to email Organisers to double check which accept walkers but I think Dublin would be great for walkers because you'd have great crowd support.

Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon in December always has walkers and its a stunning course scenery but would be on fairly lonely country roads.

But definitely go for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

physiopad wrote: »
    Dublin Marathon definitely facilitates walkers by letting them start early etc.

Really? There is no mention on the website of an early start for walkers, and the rules say
    Competitors must start the event at an officially sanctioned start time only
    As far as I know, walkers are supposed to start in wave 3, after the runners not before

RayCun wrote: »
    Really? There is no mention on the website of an early start for walkers, and the rules say

As far as I know, walkers are supposed to start in wave 3, after the runners not before

Yes that's right. Some 'celebrities' started early last year but I am pretty sure it was not sanctioned and they actually did it for selfish reasons (i.e. finish among the masses, not miss the cut off, get the adulation, medal etc). Some smaller Marathons like Clonakilty do however sanction walkers starting early.

Still in saying that. 7.5 hrs should be achievable for most walkers. I am pretty sure of the 'big' marathons in Ireland Dublin has the most generous cut-off. Cork for example has a 6hr cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Still in saying that. 7.5 hrs should be achievable for most walkers. I am pretty sure of the 'big' marathons in Ireland Dublin has the most generous cut-off. Cork for example has a 6hr cut off.

For Cork the roads reopen but cut off is 8 hours for the finish.
    Can I walk the marathon?

Yes. Walkers are very welcome to participate. Although there isn't a separate category for walkers, the course time limit should allow most walkers to cross the finish line. However, please note that in order to facilitate critical road reopenings -
    • You must reach the Jack Lynch Tunnel (mile 7.2) by 11am.
    • You must reach the South Link Road (mile 17.6) by 1pm. Both of these cut-off times are achievable at a pace of about 13.5mins/mile.

6 hours after the start (3pm), all roads will be re-opened and anyone left on the course must move to the pavements and adhere to normal traffic regulations. The finish line on St Patrick's Street, however, will stay in place until 17.00hrs if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I can understand runners who have put 3 or 4 months of training into a marathon not wanting to be weaving through scores of walkers.
    However, for the scenic marathons around the country there is a lot of potential to sign up walkers. When you consider our recent world champion Rob Heffernan triumphed in a 50k walking event, it should be promoted more. Granted he walks faster than the majority run. But when doing the half at Connemara I was thinking to myself while passing some of the casual walkers, that it is great to have events to walk, perhaps against the clock too. Whether both runner and walker can be combined is up for debate but smaller more scenic marathons could certainly attract people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I ran past an older man in the Phoenix park today , must have been early seventies , he was running a little and then fast walking mostly, but had the full gear, split shorts , singlet etc. , I.e , he looked like a runner , if I had stopped and asked he might have told me about his finishing times back in the seventies and eighties, possibly before some of the smart arses above were even born , if he wants to runs/ walk a marathon , I would suggest he's more entitled than some of the pseuodoelite deluded self promoters who post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

It doesn't matter is someone walks, crawls, jogs, etc a marathon. All that matters is that the person is making an effort to their ability and not sandbagging. If they could run it but couldn't be bothered then that is another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I'm pretty sure all of us have walked during a marathon at some stage - very little difference between a fast walk and a slow run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Details here:

I saw ads for a walking week/ festival in Cavan, earlier this year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Galway Walking Club hold a Marathon /half distance walk on the Western Way. Sat 9th of August.

http://galwaywalkingclub.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Also, a marathon primarily for walkers held in the Galtee mountains each Palm sunday.
    Beautiful scenery, though possibly a bit rough underfoot in this case.

Thank you so much, I've passed on those details.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I think Belfast had an entry for walkers, pretty sure there was one in 2012 anyway. Think I remember Edinburgh having a 7 hr cut off in 2010 or 11.

I'd say most runs I have done, bar the ones as part of a triathlon, have had walkers.

And it's great to see, particularly in those village type runs when you get kids out, parents chatting with others and the like.

A small bit of a drag when trying to pass a group, but heck they have as much right to be there as anyone.

Remember, a lot of runners are now entering what used to be classic walking events, particularly say hikes across mountains. And surely there is room for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Absolutely no problem with walkers in a marathon, as long as they abide by the race rules and follow race etiquette - starting behind the people who are faster than them so they don't get in the way. That doesn't apply just to walkers, but to people finishing the marathon in 5, 4, 3 or 2 and a half hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Remember, a lot of runners are now entering what used to be classic walking events, particularly say hikes across mountains. And surely there is room for all.

But there is at least one walking event where they categorically state that they do not want runners.

http://www.sneemjfkchallenge.com/

Which I find highly irritating as it's just round the corner from me and I would absolutely love to run it. :rolleyes: Especially so as the JFK thing they are referring to is organised as a 50 mile RUNNING event in the states.

A friend of mine (usually a runner) did walk it a couple of years ago and recommends it (<-- to bring this back on topic). It's a 50 mile walk though, not a walking marathon.

Advertisement