Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a cat person?

Options
  • 07-06-2014 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

My neighbour got 2 x kittens about 2 years ago, both male.

This has quickly turned into (attracted) 2 x male cats, a female cat and it's kittens. I get they're not like dogs, that they cant be hemmed in as easily, but I reckon she should be at least trying to keep the population under control.

I didn't mind cats until recently, now I'm plagued with:

them using my front garden (well a corner of it) as a litter tray. (not ideal when you've kids)
    Leaving me `presents' of dead birds, mice etc at my back door.
    Smell of cats pee constantly in the air.
    Noises at night from their cat orgies.

Give me a dog any day of the week. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My neighbour got 2 x kittens about 2 years ago, both male.

This has quickly turned into (attracted) 2 x male cats, a female cat and it's kittens. I get they're not like dogs, that they cant be hemmed in as easily, but I reckon she should be at least trying to keep the population under control.

I didn't mind cats until recently, now I'm plagued with:

them using my front garden (well a corner of it) as a litter tray. (not ideal when you've kids)
    Leaving me `presents' of dead birds, mice etc at my back door.
    Smell of cats pee constantly in the air.
    Noises at night from their cat orgies.

Give me a dog any day of the week. :mad:

The cat orgies ? Are your neighbours having sex with the cats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The cat orgies ? Are your neighbours have sex with the cats ?

*insert random pussy pun*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,081 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm a 'cat person' - if the toms were neutered as they should be, there would be no smell of cat and a much less significant problem with other cats - though we have two neutered females and we do get a good few other cats through the garden. Like you, I could prefer to be without the smell of un-neutered tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Dogs rule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I like cats, dogs are too needy, it makes me laugh when someone thinks that their dog has a special bond with them, a dog will have that bond with any person who shows them attention and feeds them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

looksee wrote: »
    I'm a 'cat person' - if the toms were neutered as they should be, there would be no smell of cat and a much less significant problem with other cats - though we have two neutered females and we do get a good few other cats through the garden. Like you, I could prefer to be without the smell of un-neutered tom.

Yeah this pretty much sums up how I feel.

I might approach her and offer to split the cost of neutering her two toms. We get on quite well, but she would have limited funds I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

House cats, all of them, are bastards.

Lions and tigers and the like are pretty cool though.

Raarrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Yeah this pretty much sums up how I feel.

I might approach her and offer to split the cost of neutering her two toms. We get on quite well, but she would have limited funds I'd imagine.

Some local animal charities will also help with the cost..

___
    The issue isnt the cats, it's the irresponsible pet owner getting kittens that they couldn't afford(or be bothered) to neuter.

As for the pets using your garden as a toilet. There's a few things can deter cats. (some work, some don't..depends on the cat.)
    There's this bottle of green stuff thats supposed to deter both cats & dogs from whereever you place. It worked for parents cat...but dog didnt care ..

I don't really know what else works or doesn't as it's not something thats ever been a problem for me.
    but you may want to ask on the animal & pet forum. Water sprinklers are very affective :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

White pepper is supposed to be good for keeping cats away apparently.
    I'm a cat person myself and I have a neutered Tom, I wouldn't be able to put up with the smell if he was marking the whole place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Cats rock.

Chicken sh!t dog gets bitch smacked into next week > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEa6jZv-Khc

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I like cats but we have new neighbours who have 3 cats. Why do we have to live with their animals all over the place? Cat owners have a smugness about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Cats are more well rounded animals that don't require craven affirmation from humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

My cat was murdered recently. His legacy is loads of other mangy cats hanging around our garden fighting and leaving craps everywhere. I try to talk to them but they just run away. Cats are mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Inbox wrote: »
    I like cats but we have new neighbours who have 3 cats. Why do we have to live with their animals all over the place? Cat owners have a smugness about them.

what the problem? :confused: You sound like one of those people that just hates cats for no reason

Cats should be neutered, there's way too many cats that need homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

I like girls, girls like cats, so I like cats ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I like cats but prefer dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If your neighbours cats are leaving YOU dead birds, take the compliment, as gorey as it is.

Cats are little arseholes, but yeah, I do like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Grayditch wrote: »
    If your neighbours cats are leaving YOU dead birds, take the compliment, as gorey as it is.

A compliment? Try telling that to the wiseguys who found horses heads in their beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Have you tried speaking to the cats about the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Have you tried speaking to the cats about the problem?

Yeah I had a brief whisker in their ear.

• Advertisement

I have two Toms, both Neutered from about 6 months. It takes the smell out of the urine but doesn't stop them spraying their scent around. It's just not as bad as an un-neutered Tom.

My cats P and crap in my neighbours garden but their dog peed and crapped in my garden for years, at least the cats are clean enough to dig a hole and bury it.

Unfortunately you can't keep cats locked up all day as it will cause behavioral problems in the house such as spraying.

My cats are allowed out a few hours a day but not all day or night as I don't want them up to things they shouldn't or risk getting attacked by un neutered Toms.

The noises you hear cats make at night by the way isn't mating, it's fighting, just to clear up that myth ! :-)

Cats will use your garden as a toilet, there isn't much you can do about it as their owners can't keep them locked up 24x7. Unfortunately, this can lead to fighting with neighbours but really when you live in populated areas and people forced to live in estates on top of each other, what can you do ? I have dogs coming into my front garden every day, at least cats bury it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I like both kitties and doggies but I prefer doggies.

Kitties can be very funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Yes, love them. BUT you need to be so careful with female cats, they can get pregnant ridiculously young. They can get pregnant before the age at which vets are permitted to neuter them so you have to get them indoors until the op is done, and away from any unneutered male cats you may have.

I have to say, overall, I've always found dogs more disruptive at night. The barking...

As someone said earlier, Dogs are too needy, too child like.

Leaving the dog out all day can cause behavioural problems, but it can also in cats, cats need affection and attention and you to play with them. They like dogs like action. But with cats it's more on their terms, they still love you to spend time with them.

I'f I'm upstairs the cats follow me up, if I'm down they're down. If I go into the garden they follow me out, follow me in. Really lovely creatures.

The peeps and squeaks they make when you pass them and they want a rub, is really lovely.

If you give a cat affection from a kitten they will be affectionate towards you. If you just feed it and leave it sleep in the corner and have no interaction with it, you can't expect much in return.

With a cat you get what you give.

There's this bottle of green stuff thats supposed to deter both cats & dogs from whereever you place. It worked for parents cat...but dog didnt care ..

Absinthe? Sweet. So neighbouring cats kept at bay AND a good time had by all. I can see no fault with this plan.

:cool::pac:

Grayditch wrote: »

This. :D They're hilarious. Love 'em.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

Wow guys so much feline love in one thread :D

Let me be the self appointed canine spokesperson: I would just like to address the fact that a few people said dogs are needy and child-like.
    Thats a very ignorant generalisation to make in my opinion.
    Dog breeds are vastly different from one another. A Northern Inuit Dog is vastly different to a Chihuahua, a Dobermann, a cavvie, a collie, a poodle etc. If you do not want a dog who is sticky glue at your side- there are numerous breeds that have those self-assured and independant qualities that are so loved in cats.

Personally I like them both but my heart does lie with my pooches. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

More of an Owl person

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah, I like all animals but cats are definitely my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I have two Toms, both Neutered from about 6 months. It takes the smell out of the urine but doesn't stop them spraying their scent around. It's just not as bad as an un-neutered Tom.

My cats P and crap in my neighbours garden but their dog peed and crapped in my garden for years, at least the cats are clean enough to dig a hole and bury it.

Unfortunately you can't keep cats locked up all day as it will cause behavioral problems in the house such as spraying.

My cats are allowed out a few hours a day but not all day or night as I don't want them up to things they shouldn't or risk getting attacked by un neutered Toms.

The noises you hear cats make at night by the way isn't mating, it's fighting, just to clear up that myth ! :-)

Cats will use your garden as a toilet, there isn't much you can do about it as their owners can't keep them locked up 24x7. Unfortunately, this can lead to fighting with neighbours but really when you live in populated areas and people forced to live in estates on top of each other, what can you do ? I have dogs coming into my front garden every day, at least cats bury it.

We have three cats - two females and one male, all neutered. We kept them all indoors but when our first child arrived, the male started spraying in various corners.
    We stuck acat flap under the stairs into the side passage and built a run along one of the side fences and the problem was solved instantly.
    The litter trays are in the side passage and the cats have a fair bit of freedom and can sun themselves while at the same time not soiling the neighbours' gardens.

Not aimed at you but I don't buy the argument that cats need the freedom to roam. In theory, dogs do as well, which is why they hunt in packs if they're ever allowed roam free. However, people keep their dogs under control.

Advertisement