Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Fair or Downright rubbish your views please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Here's my go at editing it.

It was the beginning of April and the weather was getting a bit nicer. The sun was staying out longer and [one more descriptive clause'd round this out, maybe 'the sun was staying out longer and I'd wake up to birds singing by my window' or something]. I began to notice that Mum may be taking a bit of an interest in dogs. She never said anything to me but one morning when I was looking for my homework I found a book tucked away behind a cushion on the sofa. I'd a quick peek and on the cover was the loveliest little puppy you ever saw! I squealed with excitement. Mum ran into the sitting room but not before I tucked the book back where I got it.
    "What's all the noise about?" she asked.
    "Oh, Mum," I cried, "I thought I saw a rat."
    "In the house? Don't be so silly, Emily," she said. "Now, hurry up and get ready for school."

I thought three o'clock would never come that day. I decided I was going to ask Mum about the book when I got home. I asked my friend Ellie could I get a lift home with her and her Mum because it was an emergency. [an 'emergency' is it? I don't know about that.]

Mum as always met me at the door. She said the very same thing every day. "Hello, how did it go at school today?"
    I as always said, "OK."
    [Add description here. Maybe you put down your stuff or took some piece of clothing off of yourself.]
    I took a deep breath. "Mum," I said, "are we getting a dog?"
    "We will see," she said.
    I couldn't believe my ears! It wasn't an 'it's too cold' answer; it wasn't a 'you're too young' answer; it was a 'we will see' answer!
    "And I know Mum," I thought. "When she says 'we will see' she usually means 'yes'."

Personally, lulu, I like your ideas. I think you've an adorable little story here. But I have to wonder how much have you read. If you've read a lot (not 'alot' as you typed in an above comment), and your instincts haven't picked up the codified way that we spell, write, type, &c., maybe you'd want to get some help. There's no shame in that, either. We all have our weaknesses, and the strongest among us admit to them.
    As for punctuation, when quoting we've a fairly complex system that's commoner in the UK and Ireland (and most Commonwealth nations) than in America, but the American system is used as well, and is *much* simpler and easier to do. I'm talking about placing punctuation inside or outside of your quotation marks, mostly. In America, it's simply always inside, and that's perfectly acceptable in all countries' English writing.
    Hi Thanks a lot for your help I will be the first to admit that my punctuation leaves a lot ( note a lot joke )to be desired. Dont know if a ten year old would notice the birds singing. An interest in dogs I had that written but changed it. I think I saw a rat ps there will never be a rat mentioned in my book eeeeeeeeeeeek Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Fortheloveosod

No bother.
    The birds idea was only an example, though I know my students that age would notice and I'm near certain I would that age.
    I only changed it to 'rat' because you want something the mother would dismiss, and there really could be a mouse in the house, but a rat is more unlikely. If I'm honest, maybe a different excuse entirely (for the squeal that drew the mother's attention) would be wisest. Maybe 'I stubbed my toe' or something.

I'd change a couple of other things as well, actually. Some of it seems a bit unrealistic emotionally. When the mother says 'We'll see' for example, she knows it's the first time she's saying that, and she doesn't know you've found the book, so it may want a bit more work.

No bother.
    The birds idea was only an example, though I know my students that age would notice and I'm near certain I would that age.
    I only changed it to 'rat' because you want something the mother would dismiss, and there really could be a mouse in the house, but a rat is more unlikely. If I'm honest, maybe a different excuse entirely (for the squeal that drew the mother's attention) would be wisest. Maybe 'I stubbed my toe' or something.

I'd change a couple of other things as well, actually. Some of it seems a bit unrealistic emotionally. When the mother says 'We'll see' for example, she knows it's the first time she's saying that, and she doesn't know you've found the book, so it may want a bit more work.

Hi I am really taking an example of a child I would know very well and what she would do and say in this situation. And the we'll see part well that comes from myself as I would often use this expression to the children. I want this book just to be a simple little story that the little ones will maybe relate to. Thanks for the feedback and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dan1

My sister is writing a children's book as we speak. I wouldn't normally use this creative writing forum just looking around at the examples that members have posted. I must say I really like this post about a little girl getting a dog. I think a lot of children go through the same with their parents as regards getting a dog. The story is simple and down to earth and personally I wouldn't change very much maybe the odd word here and there. OP maybe you could have someone check out your speech marks. I have read most of the comments and one thing that stood out was the above poster. Fortheloveosod said in one post they said that they liked the idea and it was an adorable story.In the next post they said they would change some other things and it was unrealistic emotionally. I am not into writing but I find this very realistic and if the author had someone to point them in the right direction I think this could hit the book shelves

dan1 wrote: »
    My sister is writing a children's book as we speak. I wouldn't normally use this creative writing forum just looking around at the examples that members have posted. I must say I really like this post about a little girl getting a dog. I think a lot of children go through the same with their parents as regards getting a dog. The story is simple and down to earth and personally I wouldn't change very much maybe the odd word here and there. OP maybe you could have someone check out your speech marks. I have read most of the comments and one thing that stood out was the above poster. Fortheloveosod said in one post they said that they liked the idea and it was an adorable story.In the next post they said they would change some other things and it was unrealistic emotionally. I am not into writing but I find this very realistic and if the author had someone to point them in the right direction I think this could hit the book shelves

Hi Thanks so much for your comments but I don't know about hitting the bookshelves just yet, but maybe someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

lulu1 wrote: »
    Hi Thanks so much for your comments but I don't know about hitting the bookshelves just yet, but maybe someday.

hi lulu. don't worry about "hitting the bookshelves" just yet. Try and concentrate on getting your story written and polished up first.

hi lulu. don't worry about "hitting the bookshelves" just yet. Try and concentrate on getting your story written and polished up first.

Hi I have it finished I just need some help with the polishing as for the bookshelves well that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

lulu1 wrote: »
    Hi I have it finished I just need some help with the polishing as for the bookshelves well that's another story.

Okay then. Well best of luck with that! Hope it all works out for you!

Advertisement