Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyrant [FX] [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 03-06-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭

don ramo wrote: »
    Homelands Howards Gordan and Gideon Raff along with lost writer Craig Wrighthave have had a pilot ordered by FX called Tyrant, which follows an american family in a middle east state, when the ruler of the country dies and his american son inherits the throne,

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/10/homeland-tyrant-fx/

sounds interesting if a bit far fetched,

FX’s summer slate will kick off Tuesday, June 24 at 10/9c with the premiere of the new drama Tyrant
    Executive-produced by 24‘s Howard Gordon and with a cast that includes Adam Rayner, Jennifer Finnigan, Ashraf Barhom and Moran Atias, the political thriller Tyrant follows the son of the dictator of a war-torn nation as he ends a self-imposed 20 year exile to return to his homeland, accompanied by his American wife and kids only to discover that leaving isn’t so easy - Source TV Line

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well this is going to create some intersting comments in the States and the Middle East.

I wasn't all that impressed with it.

Dallas meets Homeland is what they are aiming for I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

interesting pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭squonk

I don't see the Dallas aspect to be honest aprt from the fact that the Ewings and Al-Fayeds are both very wealthy. Then again I might have missed a eason or two of Dallas where either JR or John Ross turned into a psycho, murderous, raping bastard!

I thought this was a great pilot and I hope they can keep the standard up. For some reason it was both captivating and dark at the same time. It was captivating because of that whole level of control and importance enjoyed by the Al Fayeds that even the British Royal Family don't even enjoy. Stuff like the motorway being closed off for the cavalcade and the sheer volume of wealth on display. I thought the kids conveyed things very well with their reactions. It's one thing to realize that your relatives are wealthy but to realize just how awesomely rich beyond your wildest dreams is something else entirely.

That being said, they managed to also build up a sense of dread. I think they managed to convey just how different a middle eastern country is to westerners and that added to the whole sense of not knowing what was going to happen next. That really was the case with the Stag night scene. Even the wedding with the gun scene. I just was expecting to see the guy Jamal beat up getting shot, along with his family.

Jamal is a complete psycho. It's hard to imagine any length he wouldn't go to but I thought the scene towards the end with the rebel was far worse. The doctor has a hidden dark side and it'll be really interesting to see what develops with that.

Overall I thought the pilot was absolute quality. I was incredibly impressed. I'm shocked because this would have made a killer Fall scheduled show but you don't expect something this good during Summer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that next week's episode keeps up the quality. I really can't wait to see more. It's one of the best shows I've seen in ages.

squonk wrote: »
    I don't see the Dallas aspect to be honest aprt from the fact that the Ewings and Al-Fayeds are both very wealthy. Then again I might have missed a eason or two of Dallas where either JR or John Ross turned into a psycho, murderous, raping bastard!.

My Dallas comparsion is towards a late night soap opera mixed with the Geopolitics of Homelands US/Middle Easten stereotypes.

LOL fair enough! I really am not seeing a soap opera tinge to it, at least not yet anyway.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    LOL fair enough! I really am not seeing a soap opera tinge to it, at least not yet anyway.

Really father who ran away from the his family backround returns with his All American family to go to a wedding in the middle east after being away for 20 years
    next thing his father dies and it looks like he is about to become leader of the country
    if that's not soap opera I really don't know what is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Really father who ran away from the his family backround returns with his All American family to go to a wedding in the middle east after being away for 20 years
    next thing his father dies and it looks like he is about to become leader of the country
    if that's not soap opera I really don't know what is :D

Bashar Al Assad was a practicing ophthalmologist in London when his older brother died and he had to return to Syria as heir to his father. He's currently slaughtering his own people. Not a soap opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched the pilot earlier, i really liked it, i hope it doesnt get to unrealistic, i thought it was weird that they killed the father so soon, and threw my eyes to heaven when his brother started breathing after the crash,

i would have preferred that he just took over with no family drama and keep the show more focused on the political side, im assuming his brother will take charge as soon as hes recovered, going by the name of the show, barry doesnt seem like a tyrant, but i suppose walter white was a nice guy at the start of BB,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

don ramo wrote: »
    barry doesnt seem like a tyrant, but i suppose walter white was a nice guy at the start of BB,
    Well he didn't waste any time killing the bomber guy when he was a kid so we know he has it in him and theres always that saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" - he may well intend to be a benevolent ruler who wants to do good and bring freedom to the people but its a very slippery slope when you think you know whats right for others and have the ability to enforce it on them.

JohnK wrote: »
    Well he didn't waste any time killing the bomber guy when he was a kid so we know he has it in him and theres always that saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" - he may well intend to be a benevolent ruler who wants to do good and bring freedom to the people but its a very slippery slope when you think you know whats right for others and have the ability to enforce it on them.
    true ya, but you can tell that now hes older it really haunts him doing that, i think he done it to prove a point to his father who considered him weak, and lauded over his older brother, even at the bridge scene, his father grabbed his brother and just left him to die,

it gonna be interesting to see it alright, i hope barry takes power and his older brother is under him, doubt it will happen, but either way, its a good start to what looks like will be an interesting series

• Advertisement

I thought he was modeled after Al Assad myself so that's why I didn't see the Soap angle. It's far from soap and has basis in reality. Looking forward tot he next episode. I've a feeling if he ends up as ruler that he'll go to the bad. I thought the tell-tale sign was him slapping his son when the son was giving gyp about wanting to see Jamal after the father died. I think his wife started to have her meltdown at that point. I think he'll maybe have a slippery slope where he's an honourable guy but circumstances will push him into doing terrible things and his sense of honour will wain. Just look at Dany from Game of Thrones. It's all well and good having morals and principles when you're not actually ruling but sometimes circumstances don't lend themselves to clean solutions.

Bashar Al Assad was a practicing ophthalmologist in London when his older brother died and he had to return to Syria as heir to his father. He's currently slaughtering his own people. Not a soap opera.

A very true and a very Valid point! The real world is not a soap opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

didn't we see the younger seemingly quieter brother actually does the killing thing before, think maybe in lost, but maybe that was just a chicken?

Good second ep but not as all-round brilliant as the pilot though. I hope the show doesn't just turn into a 'rebel(s) of the week' thing. It's still good but a few things kind of bothered me really this episode.

Basam walking into the shop to confront the 3 kids seemed incredibly stupid! There was a very high probability he'd have been killed I'd have thought. I thought the scene with the young fella staring at the Royal funbags was sort of unwarranted. I didn't have much sympathy for the kids really. It's a middle-eastern totalitarian state so if you're doing something stupid to the wrong people, it's likely you'll meet a bad end. I kind of find it particularly unbelievable that Jamal drove off a mountain road at high speed and all that's wrong with him is the damage the rebel woman did to his tackle. I know though that they're trying to hit a stride so I'll forgive those things for now. I just have very high expectations with this show and I'm afraid I'll end up feeling disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The lone ranger walking into the siege was bull****. Then again, his uncle probably figured "one less to worry about". It was forgiven by the very realistic street execution a few minutes later. This show is going to have to decide whether to be (as said above) a soap opera or The Godfather.
    And yes, for sure - a dodgy blowjob (funny as it was) would not be the only outcome of a clifftop dive in a car.
    I'll still be watching next weeks ep.

USA's Dig and FX's Tyrant Delay Production in Wake of Unrest in Israel
    Two U.S. dramas shooting in Israel are exploring their contingency options given the region's current turmoil. FX's Tyrant, which is shooting in Tel Aviv, has temporarily relocated to Turkey, while USA's Dig, which shoots in Jerusalem, has been on a previously scheduled hiatus for the past week. That break will now continue for a few more days.

another good episode, probably my favorite new show for the summer, it good to see that Jamal will listen to reason, i wonder how long till the general goes against his orders, and to see will he break away from the al fayeeds and try and seize power for himself,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Another good episode, really enjoying this so far.

I hope it strays away from Jamal changing his mind at the end of every episode though, that will get tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i see a little hunger for something for himself in the old sheikh eye's

• Advertisement

Good episode this week. Mouserat (Sorry, her name keeps reminding me of Andy's band from P&R) hightailing it back to her parents was a sad turn of events. I'm a little nonplussed with the 'political situation of the week' format at the moment. Things might get interesting when Jamal's missus decides she's had enough and does an end run round Jamal/Barry to probably get Tariq to do something involving shooting rebels. At this point I wish Tariq would declare martial law or something! I like the show but I don't see a major direction at the moment beyond "how do we sort out the rebel baddy this week" which is becoming tiresome. Barry's wife whinging about him getting caught up on the whole thing was a bit stupid. Of course he's getting caught up. He's trying to prevent his family getting annihilated which is what will happen if the natives get restless enough in the current climate. It occurs to me that it might have been better if they held on to Jamal and Barry's father for the first season, just to allow Barry to learn/develop from him.

after the 1st episode, episode 7 could be the turning point .... :D

Yup I thought it really kicked off. Looks like Barry could be walking a fine line now. I wonder will he try and take over from Jamal? Christ it could be a great series if they can carry it forward from a well meaning man deposing his less capable brother with the intention of doing good for his country but ends up becoming what he despises in the end. I really hope that's the direction they're going in. One season of Jamal and Lady McBeth would be enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Starts on FOX UK Friday September 12th at 9pm

I thought this week's episode really kicked things off in a big way. They're getting into fairly serious, potentially heavyweight territory now all of a sudden with Barry enlisting the help of the US (CIA I presume) to enable the coup. I was afraid that the introduction of the wife's dumbass sister would have been the future direction of the show for a while but I'm delighted they've sidelined that now because it's not very interesting. She more seems to be there to point out Barry's change from nice liberal US doctor to slightly more hard-line family tyrant. I can live with that.

They're really progressing the show now. I thought it might take Season 2 to complete Barry's journey to deposing his brother. I wasn't certain that would happen but I'm delighted to see that's the direction they're taking. This seems to be turning into a great show overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Great episode last night, probably the best of the season for me.

Jamal is a Tyrant by his upbringing, but he is trying to change, in his own broken, messed up way. Bassam (Barry) is a Tyrant in the making and because he is cool, calculated and feels like he is compelled to do this (god like complex in the making?), he could be much worse than Jamal! You can already see it with how he spoke to Molly in this episode. "Why don't you just do what I say!" But, will he realise it and pull himself back from the brink? Remains to be seen!

Shaping up for some good stuff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Another fantastic episode, this is turning into my favourite show right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

Anywhere I can catch the episodes that have already aired? When is it on?

Lambasted wrote: »
    Anywhere I can catch the episodes that have already aired? When is it on?
    FOX UK will start airing it over here in september,

the show is just getting better and better as it goes along, its gonna be interesting to see what happens now next week with it being the season finale,

i see it still hasnt been renewed, i really hope it is, i see its pulling in numbers similar to the bridges first season, so hopefully its only a matter of time

• Advertisement

episode 9, why would Jamal trust Barry unconditionally ? the slightest mentioned of rumors of his uncle whom has served his father & him well should have him put Barry under serious surveillance - he is careful with all the handphones but no devices to capture what Barry is doing or talking ? some gossip from his uncle ? but he is all along rejected the idea of election , he should be given the benefit of doubts though base on all his doings it is only a matter of time he might .... ; again, this power struggle between Jamal & Barry better than Jamal & his uncle :D

the episode provided some silly excitement leading to the season finale ie, episode 10 ;)

Advertisement