Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen to a passport holder if their country ceased to exist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

You can ask the Israelis to stamp a seperate piece of paper instead of your passport so you dont need all this hassle.

Yea, its called loose leaf entry. I got that 2nd time in my 1995 passport. Can lead to a load of hassle. Anyone who has left israel knows how stringent their security services are. A 1 hour security interrogation incl strip search would be mild.
    Never knew that was the case. Can you get a stamp from the Palestinian Authority to counter the Israeli one (kinda serious question).

You can get loose leaf entry at taba, and same from Eilat into jordan.
    Can't you just remove the page? It would take one eagle eyed customs officer to notice one page out of a 32 page passport had been removed!

It would be spotted, you would be detained.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

seamus wrote: »
    As far as I know under international law, there is no difference between nationality and citizenship.

So if you are a citizen of boardsland (by birth) travelling in the states, and boardsland no longer exists as a legal state, under international law you are now a citizen of whatever new country now occupies the former state of boardsland.

That doesn't mean the new state has to recognise any claim to citizenship by you, however, nor allow you entry back in that country. International law is really a gentlemen's agreement moreso than law.

Russian speakers born in the old Latvian SSR were not given citizenship following independence, despite most of them voting for it. Their children born since independence were, but the older people were told to get Latvian citizenship they must pass a test in Latvian ' But we speak Russian' - 'Oh well, no citizenship for you then'.

Neither do they have a vote in independent Latvia which they helped to create.
    No Latvian citizenship also means no EU citizenship, which has some implications for travel.

Pettiness on a national scale really, given the numbers of people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Can't you just remove the page?

You would then have to explain to the Passport Office why you defaced your passport (technically it's not "your" passport, as it is the property of the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade). Also you could be sanctioned and place on the Passport Office's stoplist and/or be subject to having future passports issued with restricted validity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It took so long for me to get my new passport, I thought Ireland had ceased to exist there for a while. It took 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

gramar wrote: »
    It took so long for me to get my new passport, I thought Ireland had ceased to exist there for a while. It took 8 weeks.

An outstanding service by international standards. Don't see the problem to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

An outstanding service by international standards. Don't see the problem to be honest.

I take it you're being sarcastic. Now while it's not fair to compare countries as the circumstances are different and not always like for like but I'll do it anyway. In Spain it takes about 30 minutes to get a new passport issued and costs about 25€ as opposed to 80€ in Ireland, so outstanding indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

During the upheavals in Europe in the last century there was a special passport created for refugees known as the Nansen Passport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nansen_passport

Advertisement