Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen to a passport holder if their country ceased to exist?

Options
  • 03-06-2014 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Let's take Rhodesia for example, a country which no longer exists. What would have happened to a passport holder who was abroad at the time the country ceased to exist? Would they be rendered unable to travel? Or would their passport still be valid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I need to think about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Watch The Terminal..it has your answers:pac: You'd live in the airport and put up plasterboard to pass the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Blay wrote: »
    Watch The Terminal..it has your answers:pac: You'd live in the airport and put up plasterboard to pass the time.

Beat me to it.

"All you need to do to get the papers you need to enter the United States is to tell me that you are scared to return to your home country. Are you scared to return to your home country?" "No"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Or would their passport still be valid?

It's up to the individual country whether or not they recognise them.

Yugoslavian passports were widely accepted (although obviously no longer issued) even though that country ceased to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

They are a stateless person.
    The dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991 has led to statelessness in the Baltic states and in Eastern Europe. Today, more than 370,000 people lack a nationality in Estonia and Latvia. Despite significant efforts to promote the naturalization of stateless people in the region, resulting in the acquisition of nationality by more than 600,000 people in the Russian Federation, some 225,000 people are reported as stateless or with undetermined nationality in Eastern Europe. They include people with expired Soviet passports who have not been able to acquire the nationality of the state in which they reside since the break-up of the Soviet Union. In the countries that once made up Yugoslavia, groups of people fell between the cracks created by new nationality laws and became stateless. Though many have managed to establish their nationality, members of minority groups in south-eastern Europe, especially the Roma, continue to face difficulties accessing the documents necessary to confirm nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

They'd have to live in the airport for the rest of their days with hilarious consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

They would be sent to Ireland where they would be given free money every week and a house to live out their days in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

More Terminal jokes please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They would be sent to Ireland where they would be given free money every week and a house to live out their days in.

Dont forget the dog allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Watch Terminal, as the others have suggested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fRlEnd

Head into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Let's take Rhodesia for example, a country which no longer exists. What would have happened to a passport holder who was abroad at the time the country ceased to exist? Would they be rendered unable to travel? Or would their passport still be valid?

Rhodesia became Zimbabwe didn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

osarusan wrote: »
    More Terminal jokes please.

"I wait" for more jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Dont forget the dog allowance.

And a buggy allowance. They get a buggy allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

This actually happened to a man who lives in Ireland, it was on the news quite recently, maybe last week. He was born in Lithuania when it was in the Soviet Union but moved to Azerbaijan. He tried to go back to Lithuania but they wouldn't take him so he was bounced back and fourth and ended up in Ireland. He was granted citezenship a few weeks ago after being here for seven years or something like that.

I searched but can't find the story, it's on thejournal.ie somewhere.

Edit: Here it is. My vague recollection of it above is probably a bt inaccurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I had an israeli stamp in my passport in 1991 and I was not allowed to enter or fly over most Arab air space. They do not recognise israel, so the stamp makes the passport invalid.

countries do restrict access. Syria
    Lebanon
    Libya
    Kuwait
    Iran
    Iraq (except the northern Kurdish region)
    Sudan
    Yemen

There have also been reports of problems entering the following countries:

Saudi Arabia (reportedly not strictly enforced due to pressure by the U.S.)
    Malaysia
    Pakistan
    Algeria
    Indonesia
    U.A.E.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Can we dissolve and rename the state over the summer while large amounts of "undesirables" are in santa ponsa?:-)

I had an israeli stamp in my passport in 1991 and I was not allowed to enter or fly over most Arab air space. They do not recognise israel, so the stamp makes the passport invalid.

Seaneh will be along in a minute to denounce you and all you stand for. Just sit down there in the waiting area while he finishes up with another customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not exactly the same thing, but footballer Rio Mavuba had a birth cert and passport that listed place of birth as 'born at sea'. He was born in international waters to refugees fleeing Angola.

osarusan wrote: »
    Not exactly the same thing, but footballer Rio Mavuba had a birth cert and passport that listed place of birth as 'born at sea'. He was born in international waters .

Best of luck to him claiming the dole off those guys if he hits hard times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Dole bashing already ? You need A valid passport to claim SW Or a birth certificate if your from outside the EU its very hard to get SW. So if you did not have a Valid passport or Birth certificate you become an asylum seeker i think. But lets not this stop us from making sweeping accusations about SW here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Never knew that was the case. Can you get a stamp from the Palestinian Authority to counter the Israeli one (kinda serious question).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Dole bashing already ? You need A valid passport to claim SW Or a birth certificate if your from outside the EU its very hard to get SW. So if you did not have a Valid passport or Birth certificate you become an asylum seeker i think. But lets not this stop us from making sweeping accusations about SW here.

I kinda got from the posts that it was more light hearted banter than sweeping generalisation and dole bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Lebanon
    Libya
    Kuwait
    Iran
    Sudan
    Yemen

Malaysia
    Pakistan
    Algeria
    Indonesia
    U.A.E.

You can ask the Israelis to stamp a seperate piece of paper instead of your passport so you dont need all this hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

And a buggy allowance. They get a buggy allowance.

And cars sure don't you know? They actually get cars! For nothing!

I kinda got from the posts that it was more light hearted banter than sweeping generalisation and dole bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

mod9maple wrote: »
    And cars sure don't you know? They actually get cars! For nothing!

And vouchers , vouchers for everything ..... flights to Ibiza ,Florida , tracksuits , funky lookin' hats and clothes too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Lebanon
    Libya
    Kuwait
    Iran
    Sudan
    Yemen

Malaysia
    Pakistan
    Algeria
    Indonesia
    U.A.E.

Can't you just remove the page? It would take one eagle eyed customs officer to notice one page out of a 32 page passport had been removed!

I think Cuba doesn't stamp US passport holders as technically it is illegal for an American to visit Cuba or support its economy in any way without permission from their own government, but the Cubans welcome tourists and therefore don't want to get individual yanks into trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As far as I know under international law, there is no difference between nationality and citizenship.

So if you are a citizen of boardsland (by birth) travelling in the states, and boardsland no longer exists as a legal state, under international law you are now a citizen of whatever new country now occupies the former state of boardsland.

That doesn't mean the new state has to recognise any claim to citizenship by you, however, nor allow you entry back in that country. International law is really a gentlemen's agreement moreso than law.

Advertisement