Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babywearing Thread!

Options
  • 01-06-2014 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭

I had a Mei Tai on my last baby and loved it, used it all the time but passed it onto a friend. I bought a new one (Palm and Pond brand from eBay) but it seems to have a lot more padding than the older one and is uncomfortable to wear and the little man just doesn't look comfy in it at all.

So, hence the babywearing thread! Recommend your sling/wrap/carrier! I don't have a huge budget... I love the look of the JPMBB but is it awkward to put on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Cool idea for a thread, I'm really interested in babywearing, just not very good at it! :o

I have a half-buckle mei tai, this one.

Black%20Polka%20Dot.jpg

I really don't use it as much as I'd expected I would. It's comfortable for me and for him, but I really don't manage to get a whole lot done around the house with him on me. I don't know, it's just still too awkward to get at things with him on my front.

I guess I should try doing back-carries, however I'd be constantly checking on him! Did you ever do back-carries with your old mei tai?

Anyways I think if I was buying again, I'd go for a full mei tai rather than a half-buckle. You'd think the buckle would make it easier and faster to get on and off, but I really don't think it makes much of a difference, and actually I find it harder to "trust" the buckle than the tied straps, I'm always afraid it'll break and he'll fall out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Tried a back carry once but didn't like it much so she was pretty much always on my front but she liked it that way :)

I never used mine around the house, I just wore it when out and about, was good because I didn't drive at the time and doing the school run and popping to the shops was a lot easier (not to mention that Saoirse was still using a buggy when Ellen came along so more often than not I'd wear Ellen and Saoirse would be pushed in the buggy!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have a palm and pond mei tai from A. Used it a Bit out walking our dogs. . I had a crotch dangler when she was really small as i didnt kniw that there not great. So by the time i got mei tai she was bit older.
    Tried it a few times with L since he was borm and he hated it. He is fairly clingy so really wanted something. I ended up taking a trip to koalacubs and getting a beco soleil. I love it as does he. Even toddler loves it. When i put her back in mei tai i couldnt believe how uncomfortable it was for me and her compared to soleil.
    I then went and purchased a toddler tula for her to replace the mei tai. Cant wait to get it.
    We have 4 dogs and every sunday we head off to go for long walks around the forrest so 2 carriers are deffinetly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I have a JPMBB and a manduca carrier. I got the JPMBB because when he was very little, he was refluxy and wanted to be carried all the time, but because he was so tiny I didn't want to put him in anything with nylon and buckles. The JPMBB is tricky to get the hang of at first but once you have the knack its quick. I went to a babywearing meet and the sling consultant went through how to put it on & tie it. The way she showed me is far less complicated than the video on the JPMBB website. Once its on, make sure the straps over the shoulders are pulled taut, and make sure you allow baby's bum to sag down into the 'M' position before pulling the straps wide to wrap him. It is very cosy for them once they're in. I don't like the fact that my back fat and arse look very exposed when I'm wearing it, so I throw on a loose cardigan, but in the warm weather it'd be very hot - you're already wearing three extra layers and the baby. In winter it's lovely though :) I use this around the house a lot if he's clingy. It's saved my sanity a good few nights where he's woken up crying with his teeth, pop him in it and carry him around for 20 mins while the neurofen kicks in :)
    I got the Manduca because my OH wanted a more ''manly'' looking carrier, and out of the hip-friendly ones, it is the least ''feminine'' looking! I really like it - it can be worn several ways, like a shoulder bag, cross-strapped, on the hip or on the back. It's easy to get on and easy to adjust one handed once he's in. I use it a lot, when I'm out shopping he often wants out of the buggy and to be carried, or he won't settle for a nap - two minutes in this and he's out cold! If I have to get the bus I use it too as my buggy is very bulky for public transport. I can carry him for a long time in it when the straps are crossed at the back, it supports his weight very well; last week I walked around the zoo for several hours with him in it.

Edit: I'm hoping to have another baby sooner rather than later, but I'm going to hold off buying a double buggy and see if I can manage wearing the newborn while H is still in the buggy. If it worked out like that it'd be fantastic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had no idea what this thread was about from the title:pac:. Babywearing??:D

We have a sling but I don't really like to use it. I would prefer to carry him now while he is awake as he is interested in everything that is going on around him. While he is asleep the pram is a really relaxing spot for him as it is warm and comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I had no idea what this thread was about from the title:pac:. Babywearing??:D

Google babywearing. It's a "thing"! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

nikpmup wrote: »
    Edit: I'm hoping to have another baby sooner rather than later, but I'm going to hold off buying a double buggy and see if I can manage wearing the newborn while H is still in the buggy. If it worked out like that it'd be fantastic.

That's totally what I would do.. I find the normal buggy bulky enough getting around.

The proper carriers are brilliant, I still carry my 1 year old with ease. Am a bit of an addict though, have a bit of a collection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Great thread!

I also have a JPMBB for our 7 weeks old. I absolutely love it, so comfortable for both of us. I've been using it since the baby was 2 weeks old. I find it great for going out with our older son, walks on the beach, etc. once you get the hang of it, the JPMBB is quick to use.

Same as nikpmup, I met a lovely babywearing consultant who showed me how to use it properly, and I agree that it is quite different and easier than the videos on the JPMBB website! I got extra tips from her on how to support the head as the baby grows which did not feature on the website. And also I got to practice on her life size baby doll! Once I got comfortable with the doll, I got to try with my own baby :o

There is a great Facebook group about babywearing, check babywearing ireland sling addicts for loads of tips and advice about babywearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I got an ergo for O but didn't use it that much. Before A was born I got a JPMBB and I found it lovely at the newborn stage. She used to sleep very happily in it. I stopped using it last summer when it got very hot as I couldn't cope with all the material. Then I went back to the ergo and we used that until I went back to work in November. I found them essential when you've got erratic toddlers that you need to have both hands free for.

I found the JPMBB quite easy to use once I got the hang of it. I practised a few times watching the video clip on their website before I used it with A.
    Btw I'm going to be putting my ergo with insert and JPMBB up for sale soon so if anyone is interested just pm me.

That fb group is a great resource. I don't know how parents manage without a sling. I have a bad back and its been a life saver.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 2 baba slings, a Papoozle and an Ergo.

I lvoe the baba sling for when they are tiny and for feeding,I love the Ergo for when they are heav toddlers and the Papoozle is only new so far very happy with it for both the new baby and the huge 16 month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

nikpmup wrote: »
    I got the Manduca because my OH wanted a more ''manly'' looking carrier, and out of the hip-friendly ones, it is the least ''feminine'' looking! I really like it - it can be worn several ways, like a shoulder bag, cross-strapped, on the hip or on the back.

nikpmup, do you find that the straps on the manduca get in the way of baby's head/face? How do you deal with that? Am I doing something wrong? There are no babywearing consultants over where I am :(
    I have my manduca since my little man was born but I havn't used it much and I would like to get into using it more now , just have to figure out how to solve the issue of the straps in his face.

Just looked up the Papoozle.. looks intriguing, a cross between buckles and a stretchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

nikpmup, do you find that the straps on the manduca get in the way of baby's head/face? How do you deal with that? Am I doing something wrong? There are no babywearing consultants over where I am :(
    I have my manduca since my little man was born but I havn't used it much and I would like to get into using it more now , just have to figure out how to solve the issue of the straps in his face.

They do, but he solves the problem himself by gnawing on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have a few ;)

I have a mothercare 3 way carrier. Uncomfortable, awkward and a pain in the neck quite literally!

A palm and pond mei tei: grand when baby is small but not as supportive as other ones and not much good for me after about 5 months (although my babs was over 20 pounds at that stage). Handiest one I have at the moment for feeding in!

A Close carrier: it's basically a pre wrapped stretchy wrap: I adore it! It's really comfie if slightly warm on very hot days. Perfect for new borns: I've been using it on my second since she was 4 days old. Invaluable! I have the denim style one and it lovely flowers on im the outside layer ;)

A Neobulle ring sling: can use for baby or toddler and it's pink :) : it's the handiest one for quick up and downs if I'm running into shop or whatever, and my most used sling right now. I've tried other brands but this is the easiest one to use and no slippage on rings. Also very easy to wash and dry with refluxy baba!

A toddler huckepack: it's from about 10 months to 4 years and has corduroy material. It adjusts in size and has elephants and is green and brown: sounds gross but is stunning...

I do have a Phil and Teds double buggy but don't use it because S's reflux is so bad!

I have a hankering after baby buckles at the moment if anyone has any recommendations..

This is the Close carrier cyning?? http://www.boohoobaby.ie/prod_show.asp?prodid=674

Looks good!

The picture in that one seems to be missing a layer...

http://www.johnlewis.com/close-parent-caboo-carrier-dark-denim/p231200011

This is the one I have but it was a limited edition with flowers on one side I picked it up second hand. Its great: all the advantages of a stretchy with none of the faff of wrapping!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I've an ergobaby galaxy which I love bought it when I was pregnant with my second daughter she's been in it nearly everyday since she arrived she's nearly 9 months now. In the evenings when she can be very clingy I pop her on my back while I'm cooking dinner and she generally falls asleep. I bought it instead of a double buggy as my first daughter was only 15 months when my second daughter arrived.
    I also have a Neobulle Simon ring sling which is lovely. Baby is so well supported in it and she's so happy in it. I recently wore her in it at my nephews communion and she slept right through mass in it.
    I use both carriers for both babies 23 months and 8 months. I'm going to invest in a toddler carrier before our holidays though cos we'll need 2 buckle carriers for walks in the woods etc.

Ok... I'm dithering over the Close or the Neobulle ring sling... might take a trip out to Koalacubs next week and see if I can try the ring sling...

The ring sling will last much longer than the Close... But they dont suit everyone. Trying them on is definitely well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Lustrum

We have an ergo (with the infant insert) and a mobi wrap, and they are both amazing! She loves being in either, so much so that I'd say we've used the pram maybe 4 times since she arrived, every day we just pop her into either one and off we go.

The ergo is great for longer walks, and she'll sleep for hours in it. The pocket on it is great too, and we can go out for hours with everything we need, including changing gear, in the ergo. We got the mobi to pop on for around the house as it can be left on all day, and have ended up using it to go out in as well for the days that either of us are wearing it. Because it's not as bulky as the ergo, I've also worn it out to dinner a couple of times with herself fast asleep on my chest and all three of us happy as larry.

The ergo isnt cheap, but we bought both in the states and brought them home from a work trip. Both have already been worth the cost, and will definitely be used for numbers 2,3,4,5,6 and 7!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I got the Moby wrap because the little man was going through a "you can never put me down" phase for the first few weeks. Absolute lifesaver. He drifts off in it. Mostly use it around the house and not outside, and I've found that after a while my back starts to hurt (already had quite a dodgy back from previous injury) but it does its purpose and I'm happy to use it for short walks, but for longer strolls around town the buggy does the trick - its just a pain to get up and down to our apartment 2 flights of stairs up!

cyning wrote: »
    I have a few ;)

I have a mothercare 3 way carrier. Uncomfortable, awkward and a pain in the neck quite literally!

A palm and pond mei tei: grand when baby is small but not as supportive as other ones and not much good for me after about 5 months (although my babs was over 20 pounds at that stage). Handiest one I have at the moment for feeding in!

A Close carrier: it's basically a pre wrapped stretchy wrap: I adore it! It's really comfie if slightly warm on very hot days. Perfect for new borns: I've been using it on my second since she was 4 days old. Invaluable! I have the denim style one and it lovely flowers on im the outside layer ;)

A Neobulle ring sling: can use for baby or toddler and it's pink :) : it's the handiest one for quick up and downs if I'm running into shop or whatever, and my most used sling right now. I've tried other brands but this is the easiest one to use and no slippage on rings. Also very easy to wash and dry with refluxy baba!

A toddler huckepack: it's from about 10 months to 4 years and has corduroy material. It adjusts in size and has elephants and is green and brown: sounds gross but is stunning...

I do have a Phil and Teds double buggy but don't use it because S's reflux is so bad!

I have a hankering after baby buckles at the moment if anyone has any recommendations..

Thats some stash cyning.

Im starting to consider a ring sling too. Be handy for quick up abd down. Such a variety a different prices. Need to look in to it more . No idea why theres such price differences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Just in case you might buy soon, BabaMe are having their warehouse sale in Newry on the 14th June. 11-3 I think!

Im debating the close carrier or similar style!

I'm thinking of buying a RS (actually am buying one on Saturday) and a Close carrier...

The good thing about slings, is they seem to hold their resale value. They don't sell for much less second hand and often with postage on the pages on facebook it works out the same as buying new with free postage from a main suppliers site.

Yea been looking out for second hand but not much savings. And nothing i like. Which 1 are you going for january. Thanks for the sale tip. Ill have a look on their website.

I'm going to go for the Neobulle after all the recommendations I got here and on the Babywearing Ireland FB page!

I put up a post on the for sale or trade group saying what I was looking for and somebody just posted there saying they had one that's only a few months old. Getting it for a tenner less than brand new but any saving is a good one!

Plus it will be nicely broken in and soft, saving you a job :)

January wrote: »
    I'm going to go for the Neobulle after all the recommendations I got here and on the Babywearing Ireland FB page!

I put up a post on the for sale or trade group saying what I was looking for and somebody just posted there saying they had one that's only a few months old. Getting it for a tenner less than brand new but any saving is a good one!

Oh lovely. Going to try some tomorro and hopefully hire 1 to see how it goes. Budget a bit no existant at the mo so was looking at little frog as they are only 47 on snugglebugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

I've a kibi. Really padded but not too warm. Barely would notice the weight. Unlike alot of them it does up untill 15kg so you will get a good long time put of it and Also great for breastfeeding :)

Advertisement