Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thrwwy

libelula wrote:
    Hi thrwwy, What length are the 4 runs that you currently do?

They're all about 5 miles and at an easy pace

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I've a race pace session tomorrow, 2X(1600m,1200m,1000m) with 50% rep time recovery between reps, what recovery should I do between sets? It's from a plan in Pete pfitzinger's new book can't find the answer in the book.

I think I did that same session a while back. I've been following one of the 5km plans. I'm pretty sure the recovery between sets was 4 mins of easy jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Thanks Sandwell, how'd your 5k go after the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Thanks Sandwell, how'd your 5k go after the plan?

It's tomorrow evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

thrwwy wrote: »
    They're all about 5 miles and at an easy pace

How about slowly increasing one of those runs, by one mile per week up to the distance you want to achieve, with a jumpback week every three weeks or so? Others may have a better idea, but that's what I'm doing myself at the minute.
    It'd look something like

6,7,8,6,8,9,10,8,11,12,13,11 etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im starting to train for my first 10 mile race this week. i usually do 3 x 5 mile runs the past few weeks and have done one 6 mile run.

should i increase one of my runs each week until i reach 10 miles then leave it at that until the race in august?

ive only ever ran 6 miles before as my longest run. i chose to do 6 miles, i didnt feel like i couldnt do anymore, i went 100% on it so i was fairly tired, if i wanted to go longer, i would have slowed my pace down a bit. i dont know if i could do 10 miles as of yet though.

second question

im on sportsworlds website looking around. im not sure on joining..im just checking at the moment.

but new member price is 115 euro while a students is 50 euro. ill be doing a PLC course in pearse college this year, would that enable me to qualify for the student discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

MarkY91 wrote: »
    im on sportsworlds website looking around.

See PM re the club but it seems like you've a good basis to push on for 10miles come the end of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hi, I did the Terenure 5 mile on Sunday, rest day yesterday and would normally do speed session on a Tues or Weds but thinking I would be better off with easy running for a few more days. The dilemma is I have another 5 miler planned for Tuesday next (unfinished business :rolleyes:) so I don't want to have a session in the legs too close to the next race either. Would it make sense to do this: Tues (easy/short), Weds (easy/medium), Thurs (easy/short), Fri (session 400s or 800s @ 5K-10K pace), Sat (recovery), Sun (easy/long), Monday (rest), Tues (5 mile race)
    Any advice/input welcome. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Sandwell wrote: »
    It's tomorrow evening!

Good luck this evening! Report back...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi BG, yes definitely to the few days post-race easy running. Could you shift the
    - session to Thursday
    - rest/rec Friday and Saturday
    - strides on Sunday
    - rest on Monday (or rest Sun, strides Mon, depending on your regular pre-race routine)?

If you *have* to do a long run, do 6-8 miles on Saturday but keep it very very easy. It sounds like this is a goal race ;) so you really want to taper in order to be as fresh as possible. The session on the Thursday or Friday should really only be a tune up to keep the legs going and include full recoveries.

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi BG, yes definitely to the few days post-race easy running. Could you shift the
    - session to Thursday
    - rest/rec Friday and Saturday
    - strides on Sunday
    - rest on Monday (or rest Sun, strides Mon, depending on your regular pre-race routine)?

If you *have* to do a long run, do 6-8 miles on Saturday but keep it very very easy. It sounds like this is a goal race ;) so you really want to taper in order to be as fresh as possible. The session on the Thursday or Friday should really only be a tune up to keep the legs going and include full recoveries.

Thanks Dubgal! Much appreciated. I'd only have time to do a fartlek or similar if I switched to Thursday as I'm pretty much house/deskbound apart from 40 mins or so in the morning. Maybe that's the way to go instead of 400s or 800s? Recovery on Friday. 6-8 miles very easy on Sat. Rest on Sunday :eek:. Easy + strides on Monday. Race Tues p.m.. Got it! Thanks so much.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Thanks Dubgal! Much appreciated. I'd only have time to do a fartlek or similar if I switched to Thursday as I'm pretty much house/deskbound apart from 40 mins or so in the morning. Maybe that's the way to go instead of 400s or 800s? Recovery on Friday. 6-8 miles very easy on Sat. Rest on Sunday :eek:. Easy + strides on Monday. Race Tues p.m.. Got it! Thanks so much.

Haha enjoy the rest Sunday, don't let it kill you :D
    ...and if somebody else offers you a more suitable plan, take it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Does anyone know where a gal might find aqua running lessons in the Dublin area...coming back from an injury and have read a bit about how it can be useful way to keep fitness/get in practice running (sorta) but without the pounding of running that my physio hates!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

spaceylou wrote: »
    Does anyone know where a gal might find aqua running lessons in the Dublin area...coming back from an injury and have read a bit about how it can be useful way to keep fitness/get in practice running (sorta) but without the pounding of running that my physio hates!

Google suggested this. Right on the DART line which should make it handy to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Clearlier wrote: »
    Google suggested this. Right on the DART line which should make it handy to get to.

Thanks Clearlier...aside from where (which google can provide) I was also hoping for recommendations and/or thoughts from other boardsies. Has anyone tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I'm looking for 3k races between now and the end of the summer but seem to be drawing a blank! Any suggestions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I'm looking for 3k races between now and the end of the summer but seem to be drawing a blank! Any suggestions appreciated.

Graded meets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

RayCun wrote: »
    Graded meets

Are these Dublin ones Ray?

Edit: just found the thread on these here - unfortunately none of the dates work for me but definitely one I will try next year. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Apologies for the stupid question in advance but I'm a bit dumb confused.

Can someone tell me exactly where I need to start and finish on a track to do a mile? Will the line (start and finish point) be obvious? Alsaa track.

thanks !

Ososlo wrote: »
    Apologies for the stupid question in advance but I'm a bit dumb confused.

Can someone tell me exactly where I need to start and finish on a track to do a mile? Will the line (start and finish point) be obvious? Alsaa track.

thanks !

Hey Ososlo, the finish is clear enough. It's on the side of the track nearest to the Alsaa building and just to your right as you walk through the fence on to the track. Just walk back 10 metres or so from the finish and you'll see a slightly curved line which is the mile start. So you run 4 and a bit laps anti-clockwise. You doing a time trial :D ?

• Advertisement

Hey Ososlo, the finish is clear enough. On the side of the track nearest to the Alsaa building. Just walk back 10 metres or so from the finish and you'll see a slightly curved line which is the mile start. So you run 4 and a bit laps anti-clockwise. You doing a time trial :D ?

I did know about the 4 x laps part and the direction to run in;) I just wasn't sure about the extra bit:)

Many thanks BG! Great stuff. I'll look out for the curved line so. Presumably it's best to run on the inside lane if it's free.
    Not a TT but a 4 x 1 mile session next week.
    Thanks again!

I did know about the 4 x laps part and the direction to run in;) I just wasn't sure about the extra bit:)

:o Too much hand holding - sorry!
    Many thanks BG! Great stuff. I'll look out for the curved line so. Presumably it's best to run on the inside lane if it's free.
    Thanks again!

Sounds like a savage session :eek: Good luck with that! If the inside lane isn't free you'll be running a bit more than necessary all right. I'm pretty sure there are conversion charts somewhere online that would tell you exactly how much extra you run depending on which lane you're in but hardly worth doing the sums. Just stop a bit before the finish ;)

:o Too much hand holding - sorry!

Sounds like a savage session :eek: Good luck with that! If the inside lane isn't free you'll be running a bit more than necessary all right. I'm pretty sure there are conversion charts somewhere online that would tell you exactly how much extra you run depending on which lane you're in but hardly worth doing the sums. Just stop a bit before the finish ;)

ha ha not at all! I'll probably be wishing you were there holding my hand to drag me along:D

I think I'll just hope for the best that the inside lane is free as sums and me don't really like each other! Need to keep it as simple as possible!

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Thanks again!

I'm sure you know this, but don't forget the mile track distance as indicated is predicated upon you running in lane 1.

davedanon wrote: »
    I'm sure you know this, but don't forget the mile track distance as indicated is predicated upon you running in lane 1.

Thanks. Yes will plan on doing it all in lane 1 if possible. I'll find out what the quietest time is on the track and hopefully won't have to move out of the lane for the session.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can anyone use that track or do you have to join the gym or is it payg?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can anyone use that track or do you have to join the gym or is it payg?

Anyone adrian. They even let me:)
    It's a tenner for as long as you want. Just pay at reception. No need to ring ahead or anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tenner seems expensive, but nice to have the option I guess.

My heart sinks every time I run past the car park/building site that used to be the UCD track...

ucdtrack-390x285.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Anyone adrian. They even let me:)
    It's a tenner for as long as you want. Just pay at reception. No need to ring ahead or anything.

A tenner?? Christ that's terrible value. I have an old 333mt thing on Campus where I work. Usually no-one on it either. Free use.

• Advertisement

A tender does sound exorbitant. Greystones is €2...including showers. But you do have to let them know in advance so they can heat the water up :D

Advertisement