Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, How hilly are we talking here? I don't need a PB course or perfectly flat or anything but I don't want 13 miles of hills either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, How hilly are we talking here? I don't need a PB course or perfectly flat or anything but I don't want 13 miles of hills either.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/kilkenny-l/tullaroan-1-2-marathon-no-1-route-330854271

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, significant enough so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Do many people do running drills and how often and when and what types?

Clearier posted a video in the Graduates thread, has about 14 drills. I can't claim to do them all but I try to do a few once per week before the track session.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ososlo wrote: »

They're in my training for pretty much every run.
    I never do them :)

I only really see the run part...something I'll do for a week then start forgetting about, get close to the race and decide it's too late to start now and still don't do them!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

I'm signed up to do a 10k and a half marathon 9 days apart with the 10k being the 1st. At the moment I have soft PBs in both and I am looking to take chunks off both.

Am I being optimistic hoping ill arrive at the half in top form?

They're in my training for pretty much every run.
    I never do them :)

I only really see the run part...something I'll do for a week then start forgetting about, get close to the race and decide it's too late to start now and still don't do them!

So 'in theory' even before easy/recovery runs?
    I'm doing a few now but just before sessions. Felt like an awful tool marching across the fields in the PP yesterday! At least I haven't started the skipping ones yet.
    Although I must admit I do enjoy a bit of skipping:)
    Just wondered do many here do them regularly and if them find them beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I do them before a session and before a race (the ones Clearlier posted but you can search for 'Dathan Ritzenheim drills' on you tube and find them there). Don't ask me to do the sidewards left over right over left foot one while swinging the arms around your body :eek:
    I like them. They open up all your limbs - and lungs - and give you the right amount of stretch too. I do the butt kicks last and they're the ones that tell my body 'all systems go'.

I'm trying to fine tune my warm up and it generally goes:
    Longish slow jog (at least 20 mins)

2xLong strides +
    3xShorter faster strides
    Or
    4-5 100m strides

Followed by 6-8 drills

Not sure if that's in a conventional sequence but it works for me.

Hope that helps :)

I'm signed up to do a 10k and a half marathon 9 days apart with the 10k being the 1st. At the moment I have soft PBs in both and I am looking to take chunks off both.

Am I being optimistic hoping ill arrive at the half in top form?

I'd have thought 9 days apart is plenty, especially as the 10k is first. The other way round would be hairy. Make sure you have three days of rest and recovery after the 10k, easy running only as I heard recently that your immune system is compromised for up to 72 hours after a hard session or race. If you're going to do any sessions in between, limit it to one (a race is a session really). You can fine tune your legs in the two or three days before the Half by throwing in a few strides towards the end of one of your easy runs.

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I do them before a session and before a race (the ones Clearlier posted but you can search for 'Dathan Ritzenheim drills' on you tube and find them there). Don't ask me to do the sidewards left over right over left foot one while swinging the arms around your body :eek:
    I like them. They open up all your limbs - and lungs - and give you the right amount of stretch too. I do the butt kicks last and they're the ones that tell my body 'all systems go'.

I'm trying to fine tune my warm up and it generally goes:
    Longish slow jog (at least 20 mins)

2xLong strides +
    3xShorter faster strides
    Or
    4-5 100m strides

Followed by 6-8 drills

Not sure if that's in a conventional sequence but it works for me.

Hope that helps :)

Interesting. So just before the faster stuff for you too. Do you always do them before club sessions in a group or each do their own thing?

I'm just doing marches, butt kicks and high knees so far.
    So for me atm it's:

- 2-3 mile w/u
    - 3 x drills (each drill immediately followed by very short stride)
    - Session

Interesting. So just before the faster stuff for you too. Do you always do them before club sessions in a group or each do their own thing?

So for me atm it's:

- 2-3 mile w/u
    - Session

Oh that's interesting, drill/stride. I think I'll try that some time!
    We're not great at group drills in the club ATM, you generally tend to warm up yourself and arrive for the session if you want to do a more elaborate warm up. So yes, I do them when I'm doing a session by myself and always before a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I do them before every run, so AIS, drill sequence & out the door starting with warm up pace. Some days I forget and I do notice a difference (legs might feel heavier). Have not ventured to doing them in public tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

How often do ye get leg rubs? As a regular maintenance, or only when needed? Do you take care of them yourself with foam rolling and throwing them at loved ones for a half-arsed squeeze? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Puncher

So for me atm it's:

- 2-3 mile w/u
    - Session

You might actually find that you would benefit more by slightly adjusting how you are doing your drills. It's great that you are doing a short sprint after carrying out the drill as this kind of drills in the drill/embeds the specific part of the stride you're working on - this does take time though.

If you jog back after the drill and then do the short stride you might find it better. Although drills may appear easy, they are a form of plyometrics and it's important to recover after each drill.

Another thing you might benefit from is when you finish your drills and short strides is to do 6 strides of about 80m. The first four get gradually faster - this prepares the body more for what's involved in the session, while again reinforcing the actions of the drills. If you then do the final two strides at the pace of the effort you're about to do in the session, your body will be more prepared.

Another thing you could consider is to make the warm up run progressive so that your body is really ready for the drills. I've found that by throwing in a 1 min effort at around 10k pace towards the end of my progressive warm up really gets the body ready for the drills.

Also, I wouldn't do drills more than twice a week. This is especially important for beginners and slower runners. They may not feel too difficult but they do put a lot of strain/workload on the achilles and tendons that function as stabilizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Yeah, I'd do drills before my sessions for 5-10minutes and I'd even do some before an easy run.

I typically do high knees, quick feet, lunges, bounds, goosesteps, bounds, power skips, then i'd do a few key dynamic stretches. That's all before a session,

I would do high knees , power steps/skips and a couple dynamic stretches before a long run and easy run.

Galen Rupp's dynamic stretching technique video is quite good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBPMx72PpAA

^^^ Thanks for the suggestions and links puncher and eldiva. More ways to do drills than I thought!
    This might warrant a thread of its own...
    cheers

A, here is the video from the Graduates plan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhzzpZVMtl4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

2 weeks time sees the end of my current plan.

So what happens next? Is the next step completely up to me?

Id love to give a half marathon a really good go in Sept. All the beginner plans online though start at 3/4 miles for easy runs. But im doing 6 mile easy runs at the moment.

Is it right to follow a selected plan as is...regardless of how its initially reducing your miles, or do you just keep going from your last plan and increase the miles as appropriate?

Is chosing whether to do a half marathon or keep hacking away throughj the 10k levels a choice thats down to me, or is it more sensible to hack away at the 10ks get their time down before attempting a half marathon??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

2 weeks time sees the end of my current plan.

So what happens next? Is the next step completely up to me?

Id love to give a half marathon a really good go in Sept. All the beginner plans online though start at 3/4 miles for easy runs. But im doing 6 mile easy runs at the moment.

Is it right to follow a selected plan as is...regardless of how its initially reducing your miles, or do you just keep going from your last plan and increase the miles as appropriate?

Is chosing whether to do a half marathon or keep hacking away throughj the 10k levels a choice thats down to me, or is it more sensible to hack away at the 10ks get their time down before attempting a half marathon??

You can always start a plan later on in it where your current abilities are at and then do each week twice for example until the plan catches you.

IMO training for the half will also improve your 10k times by building up some endurance. Considering you are thinking DCM 2016 I would be pushing into the half this year to get more miles into your base for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You can always start a plan later on in it where your current abilities are at and then do each week twice for example until the plan catches you.

IMO training for the half will also improve your 10k times by building up some endurance. Considering you are thinking DCM 2016 I would be pushing into the half this year to get more miles into your base for next year.

Doh! Never thought of starting it later on :o Thats not a bad idea.

I was thinking along the same lines re the hm and 10k times, but just wanted to make sure i wasnt going back a step.

Sure there must be another marathon between sept 2015 and oct 2016...i'll be knocking them out next year! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thrwwy

Hey all, boards newbie here :) was just wondering what percentage of weekly mileage a long run should be; I keep coming across 20/25% but seeing as I only run 4 days a week right now that obviously doesn't work out! For anyone here who runs 4/5 times a week, what do you do?

thrwwy wrote: »
    Hey all, boards newbie here :) was just wondering what percentage of weekly mileage a long run should be; I keep coming across 20/25% but seeing as I only run 4 days a week right now that obviously doesn't work out! For anyone here who runs 4/5 times a week, what do you do?

Hi thrwwy,
    What length are the 4 runs that you currently do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dodgeyankle

hey, new here, and new to running.. well. ive done about 5 half marathons so have some experience.. I am signed up for Chicago in October and am hoping to break the 4 hour barrier :-)
    my half pb is 1:53,,
    my question is.. giving that Chicago is largely flat, should I be training on similar gradients. or will sticking to my normal variable route benifit me more.. I would obviously get a better time on training runs sticking to flatter routes.. but I aint sure if it is the right thing to do...
    I also read about hill repeats etc.. and again I don't know if its necessary with a flat course like this...
    any help is greatly appreciated..

libelula wrote: »
    How often do ye get leg rubs? As a regular maintenance, or only when needed? Do you take care of them yourself with foam rolling and throwing them at loved ones for a half-arsed squeeze? :p

Quote of the week :D:D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Quote of the week :D:D

Ha! I must start switching on my brain>real world filter :pac:

libelula wrote: »
    Ha! I must start switching on my brain>real world filter :pac:

Nonono! That was so perfect...and so true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I've been looking at the DCM thread and reading various bits and pieces and can't figure out how to structure my training so I'm hoping for some advice. I'm hoping to do a few 10 mile runs, maybe in August and a HM at the end of the year so I want to build slowly up to that.

My current plan is to run Sunday, Monday and Friday, I swim Wednesday and I'll cycle Thursdays. All runs are currently about 6k.

Sunday will be my LSR and I'll start increasing it by 10% per week from next weekend.
    Monday will be a recovery run I suppose but what pace should that be run at compared to a LSR?
    Friday will be a little faster (not much for now as I'm still building back from injury) and as I get fitter and stronger can be used for intervals etc.

Am I being a little too ambitious (or completely delusional) in planning to run a 10 mile, or even a few of them in mid/late August, seeing as I'm only going to be running 18-20k per week for the next while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I've been looking at the DCM thread and reading various bits and pieces and can't figure out how to structure my training so I'm hoping for some advice. I'm hoping to do a few 10 mile runs, maybe in August and a HM at the end of the year so I want to build slowly up to that.

My current plan is to run Sunday, Monday and Friday, I swim Wednesday and I'll cycle Thursdays. All runs are currently about 6k.

Sunday will be my LSR and I'll start increasing it by 10% per week from next weekend.
    Monday will be a recovery run I suppose but what pace should that be run at compared to a LSR?
    Friday will be a little faster (not much for now as I'm still building back from injury) and as I get fitter and stronger can be used for intervals etc.

Am I being a little too ambitious (or completely delusional) in planning to run a 10 mile, or even a few of them in mid/late August, seeing as I'm only going to be running 18-20k per week for the next while?

Your recovery run should always be slower than your long run, if it's not it means your recovery run is too fast.

I don't think you are being too ambitious to plan a 10 mile in a few moths but it would be a good idea to try to gradually up your mileage between now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

I've a race pace session tomorrow, 2X(1600m,1200m,1000m) with 50% rep time recovery between reps, what recovery should I do between sets? It's from a plan in Pete pfitzinger's new book can't find the answer in the book.

Advertisement