Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Karrimor (SportsDirect) used to do decent thickish running socks....used to need larger socks when I ran in Asics for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Looking for advice from the more experienced runners here. I feel I'm putting too much pressure on myself and not managing my expectations well.

I've been running consistently now for about 14 months or so and while I've seen some improvements in my overall fitness level, it's not were I thought I might have been.

My PB in the 14 months has been 5km is 22 mins ish and best 10k is 65 mins.

I honestly thought I would be running 5kms for 25 mins ish and definitely under the 20 mins mark and 10kms I thought maybe 45 mins ish but I'm still going out and running 5 km for 35 mins and 10km for 65-70 mins most times I go out. I think I've set the bar too high for myself and it's disheartening.

How long would it take someone to get to a half decent level of running?

What's your running journey been like so far? Has there been lots of ups and downs? Have you felt like giving up and trying other sports like cycling or rowing?

How do you manage your expectations?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Well, long distance running is a long game and the process can be slow.

I started running in 2004 and my best years were 2013-2015, so it can easily take 10 years to reach your peak. The good news is that as long as you keep training consistently you will get much better than you might even dream now.

However, there is no shortcut, and it will take a while. You can expect to get better year by year, and while there might be time when you think you are stagnating, there will be other times where you will come on in leaps and bounds.

What's a half decent level? That's entirely up for you to decide. Some people would love to ever break 25 mins in the 5k, on the other end of the scale some runners aren't happy until they break 2:30 in the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Maybe it’s down to your training? Do you do every run as fast as possible or do you vary your runs with some really easy, some fast, some short, some long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Thats a big difference in the 5km and 10km. i would have thought anyone who could run that kind of 5km time could break 50mins for 10k fairly easily. Maybe try run longer runs a slower pace (15/20km), dont worry about the pace so much and the your shorter runs will feel easier and you'll pick up pace. Guess you need to build up some endurance. No need to do these too much either, once a week would be fine

For speeding up in the 5kms you could also add in some speed work, some intervills will help, but I reckon you'll get more from the longer runs.

There will be loads on here that will know more than me and may help with more detailed plans though :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

"but I'm still going out and running 5 km for 35 mins and 10km for 65-70 mins most times I go out. "

That's your problem right there.

I don't mean to come across as combative here but I'm sure I recall you asking similar a couple of years ago and the overwhelming advice was to stop trying to run all your runs as fast as possible and get on some sort of plan.

Have you taken that advice?

If most of your runs are a pb attempt then you simply wont progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

No need to go back a year P, you only have to go back 2 pages to find a similar post... I won't be wasting my time again 🙄

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there a sensible long game to play, aside from easy, base building and S&C, etc, if your next marathon is 12 months away? i.e. good prep before the training block kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Two major options:

1) Base training. It basically means running a lot of miles, most of them slow, to build a strong endurance base.

2) Build up your speed and concentrate on shorter distance races for the next 6 months.

Both approaches are kind of contradictory but they both work. It probably depends on what kind of runner you are. If you are a slow runner but already have a good endurance base, option 2 would probably bring more benefits. For most runners, because most runners lack an endurance base, option 1 would probably be better but, sadly, the majority of them would say "that's too boring"

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Target a shorter distance and train specifically for that for a few months would be my recommendation. You could try something like a 3 month 5k focused block over the autumn, then a couple of months of easy/base building, followed by a half-marathon block in the spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Let the base deal with itself and use the extra effort to establish good habits and routines. The more you can get your house in order so to speak prior to a heavy training block the better you will be able to recover on a day to day basis and in turn absorb the training you will be putting in to get more bang for your buck.

Sleep Habits

Mental well being

Nutrition/Hydration

Most of us don't fall down on the training so to speak its the consistency/motivation and incorporating it into busy lifestyles. If we make things a habit and can recover sufficiently the world is our oyster.

If you are going down the slow aerobic base building phase as well it is important to not neglect speed. That does not mean you need to be running hard but simply practicing running fast. Hill Sprints with long recoveries and strides 1-2 times a week at the end of easy miles will go a very long way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Targeting shorter races, parkrun PBs, while doing a reasonable volume of easy running helped me. If you have any extra pounds that need shifting work on that- easy running gains with weight loss( personal experience). Running a marathon at 90kg is a lot harder that running one at 80kg with the same volume of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone else glad that the rain is back? 🤠

I have to admit I was getting sick of the dead/clammy heat, pollen, wasps etc.

Got absolutely soaked out running at lunchtime and I fupping loved it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

100% Nothing like it. That dead heat humid weather can piss right off!

Also looking forward to some frosty morning runs in the coming months!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Butterbeans

100%! Parkrun on Saturday morning, cool rain, no breeze, mucky legs after, that's more like it! 🤟

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Nope, not yet! Decided not to go for a run yesterday after work because it was too wet! Ya can get soft alright when you haven't run in the rain in a while but a few wet runs won't be long toughening me up! Get wet on Sat morn at parkrun and hadn't a change of clothes for after, just grabbed my hoody from the car for going for coffee - well it took me a while to warm up when I got home. This morning for my run was that humid clammy heavy weather where there were spits of rain but too warm for a running jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm looking to print out a free pace band for a half marathon at the weekend but all the websites I've looked at are pretty crap and dont seem to work. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Here's one I made myself for last weekend's pacing, just pop your target time into C2.

It will print on A4 to be both visible and fit your wrist with some overlap, I always laminate mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Bringing this up, I've gotten back running the last few months. I'm now at a base of 5,5,10km and slowly adding the long distance weekly.

I'm going really slow on the miles about 10-11 min a mile but that seems advised for the first few months.

Should I start targeting a faster 5km than just toddling along for 30mins 😄

My race history going back few years ago had a sub 22min 5k and 1hr50 half. Obviously I'm not at the same fitness but I'm leaning towards adding the milage safely before tackling speed?

Just wondering on thoughts here? I havnt pushed myself yet apart from a few strides 😀

• Advertisement

I'm in similar situation myself at the moment. I tend to like a progression runs finishing at around half marathon to marathon effort so that you feel strong but are not flat out. This might just be a personal preference but I feel it gives good control in terms of effort (progression runs are also something which I use frequently with my own athletes)

I couple this with strides where I effectively run the last mile of a run as follows

15 seconds as fast as I can with good form (not straining)

60 seconds easy.

I keep this going for effectively a full mile and this coupled with weight routine is more than enough to develop enough speed for most distance runners

Legend. That's really handy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I got absolutely drenched a few weeks ago on an evening run and it's one of the best feelings ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sandwell

How do people use pacebands? Is it as a backup to GPS or a replacement? I understand that GPS isn't entirely accurate over the marathon distance so is it best ignored?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, just to check the time at the distance markers, so use your watch as a stopwatch and check if you are ahead or behind pace each 5k or whatever.

Often the GPS isn't reliable during big city marathons, but maybe with the new dual band GPS on the newer watches things will improve, but the pace band is a good backup in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I like to use the estimated finish time function on my watch. I set distance to 42.5 km though to allow for extra distance ran bad gps or whatever. This way you have a better idea of what pace you need to hold or improve to. And if you’re lucky enough to not be that far out with distance then you get a nice surprise at the end when your time is even a few minutes faster than predicted!

I know many a runner who paced it what they thought was perfectly only to have to run an extra 200-300 meters at the end and miss out on their time goal by a couple of minutes. If you’re going for the traditional time goals like sub 4,sub 3:30 etc then every minute counts.

I actually know a person who stopped their watch once it hit 42.2 km one year even though he had another 200m to run. He still maintains that’s he’s PB for the marathon because he had the distance on his watch ran 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,844 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Is there such a thing as an online running coach?

I would be interested in finding someone who can break down the stats which my Garmin (Fenix +HRM Pro) give me and rather than just the app feedback, explain them to me, tell me what I’m doing wrong and how to fix it

my stats are shocking. Like I’m in the worst 5% of everything. I would like someone to coach me and give me tips and excercises to improve my form etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,844 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

anyone done this? To be honest I’m not sure it’s for me or aimed at people who can actually run 🤣

I can run 5km, but it’s slow, talking 35 minutes and my HR would be maxing out, I’ll try run in zone 2, but in inevitably jumps up to spend most time in 3 and 4, tipping into 5

whatever I do I can’t get my HR down, my cadence is terrible @145 and that’s me doing my best lately to take shorter strides.

ive a birthday coming up soon and maybe a voucher for this class would be a good option, so would appreciate any feedback please

There are many of coaches who work remotely (personally 80% of work I have done has been remotely) such is the way of modern life. Some will give simple training advice while others may go in depth depending on there approach and background

The other aspect could be getting a Vo2 Max lab test which can also give you good insight and give explanations

The one thing I will say about coaching is while it is a science in many regards and metrics can be useful ultimately they don't give full context given that sleep, hydration, age, training background, lifestyle, stress levels, circadian rhythm, psychology etc. This balance in itself can be the art-form of coaching. So try not to get too hung up on the metrics as a sole measure of performance. Those watch functions are not the be all and end all

• Advertisement

I did a training run last night and suffering shin splint pain today and its sore to walk on. Any tips on recovery? I'm supposed to do Charleville half on Sunday as tune up race ahead of Dublin. Or am I silly to even be thinking about running it?

Advertisement