Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

First of all I'm not asking for medical advice. I've been to the doc and now just waiting to get some tests done

Over the past couple of months I've noticed that after I do a run, long or short hard or easy. I've noticed discolouration/blood in my urine. Would this happen to others, maybe something that runners suffer from?

I've had a few episodes of blood on urine after runs. I had a cystoscopy, kidney ct and scans but no problems were found so the doctor said it might be due to running. Definitely get it checked out though.

If you drink beetroot juice it can look like blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Is two weeks sufficient recovery time between two 10 mile races?

Next day for me.

It's an individual thing though as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

twisted/mildly sprained my ankle on Sunday. Took a nasty fall while belting it along at the end of a fast run.

Very severe pain Sunday afternoon, mild pain Sunday evening, total rest yesterday and ankle today is 90% better when walking :)

I know this is a fairly pointless question to ask online, but would anyone have an estimate of when it would be safe to attempt to run again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

First of all I'm not asking for medical advice. I've been to the doc and now just waiting to get some tests done

Over the past couple of months I've noticed that after I do a run, long or short hard or easy. I've noticed discolouration/blood in my urine. Would this happen to others, maybe something that runners suffer from?

I've had this... dehydration. The re bunch of things it could be but just curious if you are drinking enough? Getting enough minerals and vitamins etc..?
    Goose76 wrote: »
    twisted/mildly sprained my ankle on Sunday. Took a nasty fall while belting it along at the end of a fast run.

Very severe pain Sunday afternoon, mild pain Sunday evening, total rest yesterday and ankle today is 90% better when walking :)

I know this is a fairly pointless question to ask online, but would anyone have an estimate of when it would be safe to attempt to run again?

Try a one leg shallow squat on that leg. If it can bear your weight with no pain (and you have no swelling) need to have 0% pain when walking, then try a very gently jog. If 0% pain then next step and slowly does it... General rule is if it hurts.. stop!

If it is swollen or discolored and hurt if you jump, run or even stand on one leg, might be worth getting an xray

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Does anyone here train specifically by heart rate? For anyone that does, could you recommend a few resources for me to learn a bit more about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

thunderdog wrote: »
    Does anyone here train specifically by heart rate? For anyone that does, could you recommend a few resources for me to learn a bit more about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Monitor-Training-Compleat-Idiot/dp/1891369849

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'm staying near Balbriggan this weekend. I wonder could anyone recommend a route to run on. I don't know the area very well and don't want to end up on roads I shouldn't be running on. I don't mind doing loops either. I think I've 10 miles to 12 miles on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm staying near Balbriggan this weekend. I wonder could anyone recommend a route to run on. I don't know the area very well and don't want to end up on roads I shouldn't be running on. I don't mind doing loops either. I think I've 10 miles to 12 miles on the cards

You could head out to Laytown/ Bettystown and get a nice beach run done or if you are around on Saturday morning you could go to Ardgillan Parkrun ...it's a tough one... especially if you do extra laps to get up to your 10/12 miles.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You could head out to Laytown/ Bettystown and get a nice beach run done or if you are around on Saturday morning you could go to Ardgillan Parkrun ...it's a tough one... especially if you do extra laps to get up to your 10/12 miles.
    Just had a look on Google. Good shout thanks. Heading up Saturday afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Out the coast road towards skerries (all on paths). Cross railway into ardgillan at ladies stairs. You are in runners heaven then. Nice hills too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

jamule wrote: »
    Out the coast road towards skerries (all on paths). Cross railway into ardgillan at ladies stairs. You are in runners heaven then. Nice hills too.

I did this a while back, it was a very nice run: https://www.strava.com/activities/1020646933

Couldn't make it to Skerries along the coast without running on the road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

vargoo wrote: »
    Phone holder - any body recommend one, amazon/ebay, 6 inch + I guess, future proof it abit.

I've a Samsung S9+ with a case on so it's quite bulky. I got an arm band that fits it fine but found it uncomfortable to use so swapped to one around my waist. Got both in TK Maxx for €9.99 each

jamule wrote: »
    Singer wrote: »
    I did this a while back, it was a very nice run: https://www.strava.com/activities/1020646933

Couldn't make it to Skerries along the coast without running on the road though.

Cheers lads I appreciate that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Anyone recommend any good calf stretches? Mine are tight lately and I always find it hard to get much of a stretch on them.

eyrie wrote: »
    Anyone recommend any good calf stretches? Mine are tight lately and I always find it hard to get much of a stretch on them.
    https://www.self.com/gallery/essential-calf-stretches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

eyrie wrote: »

mine have been tight the last two weeks with stepping up my distance and S&C so what I found helped was compression sleeves and also a good soak in Epsom salts. instant relief

I actually went to physio to get a rub down and I have to strengthen mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

vargoo wrote: »
    Thanks! Would have considered several of those to be hamstring stretches and not really realised they get at the calves too.

Baby75 wrote: »
    mine have been tight the last two weeks with stepping up my distance and S&C so what I found helped was compression sleeves and also a good soak in Epsom salts. instant relief

I actually went to physio to get a rub down and I have to strengthen mine
    Interesting, thanks! I definitely need to get in for a sports massage soon. Glad yours are feeling better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

foam roller and even better something hard like a rolling pin or pool cue etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Apologies if this has been asked before :

What type of mileage would you expect to do for a sub 4 marathon ?

What type of mileage for a sub 1:50 half .

Some of the mileage reported on here is a little daunting so just curious .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Bluesquare wrote: »

How long is a piece of string......

Some can run sub 4 off 30 miles a week, some can even run sub 3 off that mileage, same applies to the half distance. It all boils down to the person running the miles, some will naturally be better than others. The plans in the Grads thread are a good place to start IMO, and not daunting to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Quick weight related question.

Im 5'9 or so and about 12.5 stone. Is this heavy in running terms? How do you find out your correct running weight? I presume i could do with losing a stone or so at least for long distance running?

A quick google lead me to the "Stillman Weight Calculator" which gives me an ideal long distance weight of 9.9 stone. Seems pretty slim!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,341 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I did 3.55 in the Dublin marathon in November. Previous to that I did 4.32 in Dublin 2016.

My time for the race series HM last year was 1.45. In 2016 it was 2.02.

I think I am in the time range you are looking at, so for reference my training mileage for DCM last year was 825 kms over 18 weeks of a training plan. In 2016 it was around 765 over 18 weeks.

I was running about 25km a week in the months leading up to the 18 week training block, but those were the mileages and they got me to my targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

LaHaine wrote: »

Im 5'9 or so and about 12.5 stone. Is this heavy in running terms? How do you find out your correct running weight? I presume i could do with losing a stone or so at least for long distance running?

A quick google lead me to the "Stillman Weight Calculator" which gives me an ideal long distance weight of 9.9 stone. Seems pretty slim!!

Honestly don't get caught up with weight. If you run consistently and make small incremental changes to your diet, the weight will fall off. There are no quick fixes (healthy ones at least). I did exactly this after Xmas running 5-6 times a week and 3 specific changes to the diet. I've lost 3kg in 6 weeks (half a stone). Consistency and discipline and being honest with yourself are key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

This reminds me when i was shoe shopping last year during training for DCM. I got chatting to the guy in the shop and he was asking about my training, when i told him my weekly mileage his reaction was "wow, you must be training for 3:30"! I was training for 4:10 (i think) and i came away with 4:27.... So really i don't believe there is a given. There are other factors - quality of the miles obviously too, clever pacing on the day, favourable running conditions, a pinch of luck perhaps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

LaHaine wrote: »

I'd agree with the poster who said 'Don't get caught up in weight comparisons' etc, but I also thing that the Stillman calculator does recommend quite low weights - maybe it's aimed at more elite runners? It says I should be 101lb which is a much lighter weight than I (a recreational runner with a sedentary job) could easily reach and maintain (though I presume elite runners are that weight or lighter - 101 lb is over 7 stone, which I'm sure is pretty normal for an elite female marathoner.)

I read a book a few years ago about nutrition and diet for runners and cyclists ('Racing Weight' by Matt Fitzgerald), by the calculations in that my racing weight should be 114lb, which is still lighter than I am, but only a few pounds lighter, so it sounds much more achievable for a recreational runner.)

Anyway, what I'm saying is, as everyone says, run, eat well and let the numbers on the scales look after themselves, but personally I wouldn't be trying to reach the numbers on the Stillman calculator unless they came more naturally (like if my usual weight was 103lb I might naturally reach the 101 they recommend as I ramped up mileage etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I am off to Dubai for a week. Has anyone ran over there? How easy is it to run around? Staying near to Port Rashid, so any tips would be great. Plan usually when I am away is to run early in the day.

I am off to Dubai for a week. Has anyone ran over there? How easy is it to run around? Staying near to Port Rashid, so any tips would be great. Plan usually when I am away is to run early in the day.

Strava heat map

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

I found it hard enough walking around over there mevermind running but that was start of October. I'd say you would want to be running very early or late

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Are you male or female?:rolleyes::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

I think the piece of string analogy is about right!
    I did a sub 4 marathon 2017 (first timer) off the Hal Higdon Novices 1 plan (linked on the novices thread) which tops out at about 40mpw, running 4 days a week. That was off the back of not much running, so it’s certsinly doable with a less daunting plan. I would say that consistancy is probably the most important factor, so I’d pick a plan that I thought was realistic rather than one that might look ‘better’, but which you’re going to end up missing loads of runs.
    I think my numbers are in or around yours - 5m 39:xx, 10m 1:25:xx, M 3:58:xx
    No HM time as I was plagued by injuries before and since my marathon, looking forward to getting back to it!

Advertisement