Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Franciscan Well really Irish

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Lucena wrote: »
    It only works for craft beers where people are willing to pay a premium for something that is perceived (rightly or not) as unique.

The price of kegs are generally comparative AFAIA, the premium is usual added on the bar end

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

oblivious wrote: »
    The price of kegs are generally comparative AFAIA

They're really not all that comparable, most craft kegs are not 90 litre kegs but cost not a lot less than macro 90 litre kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Seaneh wrote: »
    They're really not all that comparable, most craft kegs are not 90 litre kegs but cost not a lot less than macro 90 litre kegs.

If its Keykeg, I would not put then in the same bracket

If its Keykeg, I would not put then in the same bracket

Not keykegs, just smaller kegs. Almost all the Irish micro's use half kegs, most of the american breweries, even those who don't use keykegs, use smaller barrels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Standard keg size in Ireland is 50 litres. Prices for macro and micro are generally similar enough for 4.3% beer.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Standard keg size in Ireland is 50 litres. Prices for macro and micro are generally similar enough for 4.3% beer.

Not mny of the craft beers are 4.3% though.

I meant 90 pint (I know 50 litres isn't exactly 90 pints), most craft breweries don't use full size kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

BeerNut wrote: »
    Only the 33s, AFAIK, which are rarely sold here. Last I heard the half litre bottles are filled in the UK.

O'hara's have been busy installing a bottling line; it should be ready to go any day now if it isn't ready already.

O'hara's have been busy installing a bottling line; it should be ready to go any day now if it isn't ready already.

Stunned it took them this long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not mny of the craft beers are 4.3% though.

I meant 90 pint (I know 50 litres isn't exactly 90 pints), most craft breweries don't use full size kegs.

Ah right, most do though.

Metalman, GH, PH, Carlow, 8 Degrees, Sweetmans, Trouble, Bo Bristle, Carraig, Mountain Man, White Gypsy. They all use 50 litre kegs, a few of them will sometimes roll out 30 litre ones but the vast majority are 50 litre.

Was comparing 4.3% as it is the average for macro beers, obv the price then goes up with increasing ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

The price of kegs are generally comparative AFAIA, the premium is usual added on the bar end

Publicans are being encouraged to charge a premium for craft, which is self defeating as it lumps craft in one end of the market, competing against itself. Craft should compete across the complete market, and in some places it does. My local (the owner doesn't listen to the encouragement!) has craft from €3.90 a pint up to whatever you want to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,I saw a Franciscan Well sign being put up on a hugh warehouse next to the river down towards the Marina.Will this be a new brewery or will it be used for storage?.We'll soon find out.

OP,I saw a Franciscan Well sign being put up on a hugh warehouse next to the river down towards the Marina.Will this be a new brewery or will it be used for storage?.We'll soon find out.

That's the new brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Tube wrote: »
    Publicans are being encouraged to charge a premium for craft, which is self defeating as it lumps craft in one end of the market, competing against itself. Craft should compete across the complete market, and in some places it does. My local (the owner doesn't listen to the encouragement!) has craft from €3.90 a pint up to whatever you want to pay.

On a short-term basis, charging extra for craft beer is probably the right idea, as most people that are into beer will be willing to pay the extra to have something nicer. Maybe this is 5% of the number of beer drinkers.

However from the point of view of increasing the market for craft beer, it’s a bad idea as it creates a barrier to anyone who hasn’t already decided that they want craft beer and don’t necessarily want to pay extra for something they don’t know about.

The situation in England is a lot better as they have a lot of local breweries producing real ale, and these beers are often cheaper than the macrolagers. Thus lots more people drink real ale, have done for years, and without necessarily having to identify with either the craft scene or the real ale scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Lucena wrote: »
    On a short-term basis, charging extra for craft beer is probably the right idea, as most people that are into beer will be willing to pay the extra to have something nicer. Maybe this is 5% of the number of beer drinkers.

However from the point of view of increasing the market for craft beer, it’s a bad idea as it creates a barrier to anyone who hasn’t already decided that they want craft beer and don’t necessarily want to pay extra for something they don’t know about.

The situation in England is a lot better as they have a lot of local breweries producing real ale, and these beers are often cheaper than the macrolagers. Thus lots more people drink real ale, have done for years, and without necessarily having to identify with either the craft scene or the real ale scene.

Maybe this is just me, but in my experience it's the same in Ireland, that craft beer is usually no more expensive than the other beers and is often a bit cheaper. With the exception of sweet, sweet Beamish.

In dublin anyway, a pint of Irish micro brewed beer is usually less expensive (4.70-5.20ish for a pint) than a pint of lager. Maybe a little more expensive than a pint of guinness, but not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

That's a broad statement, almost as broad as the range of prices for beer! Budget lager (Tuborg) can be had for €3.80 whereas quasi premium like Peroni can be €6+ a pint.

Similarly craft can be had from €3.80/€4 to €6+, often for the same beer, but just in a different pub.

Hence why I said "usually".

Advertisement