Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solemniser??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I think €500 is very reasonable. Its not as if the solemniser can fit in two weddings on the same day. And they have a lot of preparation to do before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Its not as if the solemniser can fit in two weddings on the same day.

And they have a lot of preparation to do before hand.

Yes, they do sometimes fit in 2, just depends on the time of each and distance between them. They arrive half hour before ceremony, do the ceremony half hour, 1 hour max and once the paperwork is done and they shake hands, then they're off. They're in demand and people are often willing to move their ceremony times to get it done on a weekend.
    I've already addressed your second point on "a lot of preparation" in my last post...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gatica wrote: »
    neemish wrote: »
    It's not like every catholic can register to become a solemniser, there are requirements to becoming a priest.

Actually .. as the number of priests declines over the next 10 years, they will have to start registering others - perhaps deacons, perhaps lay people, as solemnisers.

Not sure what the plans are here re the sacramental aspects: I'd guess weddings will be prioritized over funerals which aren't sacraments. But there are changes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Actually .. as the number of priests declines over the next 10 years, they will have to start registering others - perhaps deacons, perhaps lay people, as solemnisers.

Not sure what the plans are here re the sacramental aspects: I'd guess weddings will be prioritized over funerals which aren't sacraments. But there are changes ahead.

Has to be a priest or a deacon for a Wedding as this is a Sacrament. Even though technically, the couple marry each other. It is the only Sacrament where the priest/deacon acts as witness rather than celebrant.

In some parishes, funerals are already being presided over by lay people. This is going to be the norm in ten years time. There will be no Mass, but a service for the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

berrecka wrote: »
    Without the Solemniser (or alternative),you wont be married. Without a photographer, suit, dress, caterer, prosecco reception (or whatever extras you choose to have), you definitely still will!

I don't think other wedding (additional) services compare to what a Solemniser does. The comparison really is between those who can legally marry you, and the inclusive costs therein, and what individual couples want to pay for in that respect.

I think the key point there is 'Legally'. Good point.

• Advertisement

Mrs OBumble, sorry to be pedantic, but you've quoted me as neemish.

and now it seems you're being quoted as me below:

berrecka wrote: »
    I don't think other wedding (additional) services compare to what a Solemniser does. The comparison really is between those who can legally marry you, and the inclusive costs therein, and what individual couples want to pay for in that respect.

You've hit the nail on the head there. It's really down to supply and demand. If there were a ton of solemnisers the price would come down, likewise with more and more people opting for non-registrar and non-church weddings, demands has gone up for such solemnisers.
    Unfortunately this does not help the OP - all we can say is anyone in similar situation who's gone for that option had to fork up similar amounts, or was quoted 400 and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

neemish wrote: »
    Has to be a priest or a deacon for a Wedding as this is a Sacrament. Even though technically, the couple marry each other. It is the only Sacrament where the priest/deacon acts as witness rather than celebrant.

That's what made me wonder: if the priest / deacon is only a witness, then perhaps there are ways to do it without them.

But if not, then people had better start getting their heads around the concept of group weddings, or more likely doing the church and party parts of a wedding separately. There simply will not be enough priests in a very short time for the individual ceremonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Canon Law would have to be changed for that to happen

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P40.HTM

Advertisement