Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joan Burton to increase tax on the Rich

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah it is absolutely jaw dropping. For every thousand you earn over that amount, they want E520 of it? For what I am not sure.

E1000, they get E520, you get E480. F**cking great country we live in.

I would have no problem with giving €520 on every k, on condition that that was it. Having to then pay all the other tax's/charges on top of it makes it a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The magic money tree is the problem in this country.

Those in the higher tax bracket are already paying their share.
    Personally I dont agree with that, they are carrying far more than their fair share! If we arent already there, at what point would they be carrying beyond their fair share?! When the bloody politicians come a knocking, they are going to get a bloody major piece of my mind, I suggest you do likewise. And not because of cuts or new taxes no, because I am being SCREWED so that those who have contributed nothing or very little can have their rants about "da rich" and "da bondholders" the ones Labour and pretty much every other party seems to bow to. Probably because you screw me a private sector worker, you lose one vote, keep welfare at inflated levels you might retain or win a multiple of that, at least you would have.

As a country that harps on about nothing but fairness, does anyone give a **** about the unfairness inflicted on marginal rate earners, do they f**k!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah it is absolutely jaw dropping. For every thousand you earn over that amount, they want E520 of it? For what I am not sure.

E1000, they get E520, you get E480. F**cking great country we live in.

do you know what, if we as working people actually got top class services - medical, educational, subsidised childcare for working parents, security, infrastructure, public transport - if all of these were top class and available to me, they could take 52% of my income, no questions asked.

But I don't. I pay for vhi because i dont want to die on a trolley, if i have kids myself or my partner will have to consider quitting work due to the prohibitively high cost of child care, if i call the gardai i can expect a 40 minute wait for them to arrive even though i live 5 mins walk form a station, I cant rely on public transport because the pricks are ready to go on strike at the drop of a hat. ANd wait til you see what the state pension is gonna look like by the time i'm 65...err.. i mean 85!
    If the counrty is incapable of providing these things, fook off, let me save my own money and make my own arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

do you know what, if we as working people actually got top class services - medical, educational, subsidised childcare for working parents, security, infrastructure, public transport - if all of these were top class and available to me, they could take 52% of my income, no questions asked.

But I don't. I pay for vhi because i dont want to die on a trolley, if i have kids myself or my partner will have to consider quitting work due to the prohibitively high cost of child care, if i call the gardai i can expect a 40 minute wait for them to arrive even though i live 5 mins walk form a station, I cant rely on public transport because the pricks are ready to go on strike at the drop of a hat. ANd wait til you see what the state pension is gonna look like by the time i'm 65...err.. i mean 85!
    If the counrty is incapable of providing these things, fook off, let me save my own money and make my own arrangements.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. We are so deep in debt that this is going to continue for a very long time. Taxed to the hilt and getting nothing in return because it all goes to plug the deficit. Not sure what I'm going to do when I'm finished 3rd level but when I consider the fact that I'm going to be paying the price for other people's f*ck ups for a large chunk of my working career it really makes emigration look very tempting.

People say "ooooh tax the rich" but in reality the number of people who are earning over 300k or are millionaires is tiny in this country so greatly increasing taxes on them is going to make f*ck all difference. Especially when you consider many of the people earning this kind of money in the private sector are entrepreneurs (big business owners) who provide jobs and if the tax system here becomes unfavourable for them they will simply move their money and or businesses to another country.

yeah, jaw dropping amounts of money spent running the country and a jaw droppingly poor return for it. Agreed, they can forget ramping up services and wanting me to pay for it, I'd prefer the money in my back pocket thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My daughter spent 5 hours sitting in the hospital last week with her 9 year old son who broke his finger playing football.
    All they were interested in was the 100 euro charge before he was even seen. It took 5 hours to get an x-ray and for the doctor to read it. Then 10 mins to put a splint on it. With all the taxes we pay this is crazy.
    To think we had a minister saying he was fixing that service is very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Lol at all the fevered rowing-back/out/forwards all of a rush. And they say protests don't work. Well, protest votes certainly do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mezuzaj

My daughter spent 5 hours sitting in the hospital last week with her 9 year old son who broke his finger playing football.
    All they were interested in was the 100 euro charge before he was even seen. It took 5 hours to get an x-ray and for the doctor to read it. Then 10 mins to put a splint on it. With all the taxes we pay this is crazy.
    To think we had a minister saying he was fixing that service is very annoying.

That is why people get VHI,.. so they can go to the fast track A&E clinics and be seen within an hour.

Mind you I have been to A&E with daughter who broke her leg and when the said he in pain (screaming) they had he x-rayed in 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Joan the Moan,

What does it matter how she speaks? Judge her on her words and deeds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 beardy_brady

mezuzaj wrote: »
    Thats True, if you have a billion in assets, you effective tax is small. If you have invested in shares, you only pay tax on the gains, when you sell or on dividends. The reality is that the Rich don't HAVE to sell, they choose when and how much income to take.

Also in Ireland the really rich are not that many, We don't have thousands of Multi millionaires. Dublin does not have a chelskey Russian Billionaire row.

buying irish shares is the most expensive in the western world , stamp duty is 1% upon purchase , its a half of one percent in germany , france , uk , no stamp duty in america on shares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mezuzaj wrote: »
    That is why people get VHI,.. so they can go to the fast track A&E clinics and be seen within an hour.

Mind you I have been to A&E with daughter who broke her leg and when the said he in pain (screaming) they had he x-rayed in 20 mins.

Many people had VHI but had to drop it in order to continue paying their mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

buying irish shares is the most expensive in the western world , stamp duty is 1% upon purchase , its a half of one percent in germany , france , uk , no stamp duty in america on shares

Extraordinary high tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

46% of people taking this poll think that someone earning 100k and up is rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    To put it in context ,they are rich compared to someone on 20k.

E58,869 that is your net pay on E100,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

This surprises you?

That's almost 2k a week - Compared to what me and my partner earn, it's a bloody king's ransom!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The top 10% pay 40% of the tax take, the next 10% pay 20% of the tax take. The bottom 10% pay something like .5% but sure 'taxing the rich' is an easy soundbite in populist Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

jank wrote: »
    The top 10% pay 40% of the tax take, the next 10% pay 20% of the tax take. The bottom 10% pay something like .5% but sure 'taxing the rich' is an easy soundbite in populist Ireland.

The top .1 % pay nothing.

Taxing the rich would be a fine thing.

This surprises you?

That's almost 2k a week - Compared to what me and my partner earn, it's a bloody king's ransom!
    bigroad wrote: »
    To put it in context ,they are rich compared to someone on 20k.

So anyone earning more than you is loaded and should be taxed over half their income?! Sure that person on 20k is loaded compared to someone on 12k. Objectively speaking someone earning 100k is not rich. Yes it's a good salary but after taxes etc it's wouldn't exactly be enough to live a lavish lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

So anyone earning more than you is loaded and should be taxed over half their income?!

I don't know where you got all that from what I posted, tbh!
    Sure that person on 20k is loaded compared to someone on 12k. Objectively speaking someone earning 100k is not rich. Yes it's a good salary but after taxes etc it's wouldn't exactly be enough to live a lavish lifestyle

In your opinion.

If I was earning 100k or more a year, I would consider myself rich, or at least very well off. That was the question posed in the OP was it not? You may not consider it a lot of money, but I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

By rich, does she mean those who donate to her party, or to the not very rich, who don't donate, but spend their free time supporting the party? I'm guessing the latter.

I don't know where you got all that from what I posted, tbh!

In your opinion.

If I was earning 100k or more a year, I would consider myself rich, or at least very well off. That was the question posed in the OP was it not? You may not consider it a lot of money, but I do.

I didn't say I don't consider it a lot of money. Of course it is. I said its a good salary which I would love to earn tbh! You wouldn't be rich on it though. Well off yes, but not rich. A couple both earning the average salary would bring home more and they probably wouldn't be considered rich.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Interesting thread. Lots of people bemoaning her proposal as silly and unworkable. Which is true, but what intrigues me is the Sinn Fein economic policy has been founded on this exact idea and in other threads people are falling over each other to declare their support for them in their quest to an alternative approach to the way the government has done austerity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The top .1 % pay nothing.

Taxing the rich would be a fine thing.
    Yes they do actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

How about we have the poor pay some income tax for a change?

All state benefits should be taxable.

I'm sick of bailing the poor out.

Agreed with the above. Tax all benefits you get from the state. The more you benefit, the more you get taxed and there should be a maximum cap on what one household can get.
    Lastly for people under 30, if you are not working or learning you don't get a cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

All state benefits should be taxable.

Bit pointless, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I read this thread as 'Joey Barton to increase tax on the Rich'.

I need a coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Taxes have already hit diminishing returns which is shown by reduced consumer spending.

This talk of 'economy recovering' are just projections for the next 6 months, i.e. it hasn't happened yet.
    People are spending less as they've less to spend.

Why not increase the lower tax threshold to 36k. More disposable income, more consumer spending, more VAT, mo' money.

Increasing taxes during a recession was pure idiotic.

Advertisement