Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most useful survival item?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Did you train the horses yourself? I imagine that must be rather difficult. Long term I suppose you could use them for other things like pressing cider (sorry I'm a consummate alcoholic).

I have my plans sketched out for my log cabin and patch of land in the country but have decided in favour of pigs and goats over cows and horses, mainly because the latter need so much land to graze. I suppose I'm just worried I wouldn't be able to maintain such a wide perimeter post collapse ; perhaps you'll have your family to help you though?

Have been a horseman all my life. We used to break in horses for others so it would be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Have been a horseman all my life. We used to break in horses for others so it would be no problem.

I think your skills would be essential post collapse. I admire people like you who have skills already you can market come the Apocalypse and are applying them here and now. As for the rest of us, I'm going to start with goats and work my way up. :)

Possibly a can of WD-40? I don't need to tell you guys how useful this is for stuff beyond greasing axles.

Possibly a can of WD-40? I don't need to tell you guys how useful this is for stuff beyond greasing axles.

Bought one today :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I have my plans sketched out for my log cabin and patch of land in the country but have decided in favour of pigs and goats over cows and horses, mainly because the latter need so much land to graze.

If there was only ever one animal I'd be allowed eat I'd pick pigs

(having a Homer Simpson moment)

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    If there was only ever one animal I'd be allowed eat I'd pick pigs

(having a Homer Simpson moment)

Good call wexie,

In contrast to the tough as nails mountain men image I try to project, I could never bring myself to kill a pig so will be using them for manuring and trading purposes only. If you kill a pig for me, I'd be happy to split it down the middle for you :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Duct tape too. And a vice grips (the hand held variety). Swiss army knife is just so versatile too.

Khannie wrote: »
    Duct tape too. And a vice grips (the hand held variety). Swiss army knife is just so versatile too.

My cousin calls a vice grips a universal socket set..... Hes a rough man

My cousin calls a vice grips a universal socket set..... Hes a rough man

Sounds like a man you want on side! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Just wondering what you think the most useful item would be post-collapse if you had to choose? (Beyond the obvious food and water)

I'd probably say baking soda. Is there anything it can't do? :-D
    it we are just picking one item.

A water filter with a ceramic filter that can be cleaned and reused and loads of spare parts, clean water is important.

there are loads of stuff after that.

As mentioned a gun would be very handy for getting food, not for battling zombies or robbers but a practical maintainable tool for hunting.
    basically hardware that would not be available if society collapsed.

A stove preferably able to burn anything better yet if it was plumbed to heat water.

Knowledge in farming building growing food, and medicine no society = no internet. A couple of paper books on different subjects would be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Steps Lightly

If I was lucky enough.. I' d have knowledge enough..lots of good posts..never going it know enough though.. Will keep trying..love learning something new while there's still time to learn.!

Steps

sheesh wrote: »
    it we are just picking one item.

A water filter with a ceramic filter that can be cleaned and reused and loads of spare parts, clean water is important.

there are loads of stuff after that.

As mentioned a gun would be very handy for getting food, not for battling zombies or robbers but a practical maintainable tool for hunting.
    basically hardware that would not be available if society collapsed.

A stove preferably able to burn anything better yet if it was plumbed to heat water.

Knowledge in farming building growing food, and medicine no society = no internet. A couple of paper books on different subjects would be handy.

Hi sheesh,

I think you're right, you'll feel the absence of fresh water before pretty much anything else if you don't have it. Have you heard of these grey water filters? I'd like to have them installed at my dream home so I can recycle used water for growing vegetables.

I think you're also right about having a stove which you could plumb into the central heating. We had a wood/peat/coal powered one at my old place in the French countryside and the beauty of it is that you can keep the house warm as you cook! They're a devil to install due to size and weight but very much worth it.

You've also raised a good point about books. I keep an eye on the charity shops. Anything about gardening (especially propogation), quick reference DIY manuals and medical self help books get snatched up. It's great to hear others are doing the same.

Does anyone remember those old fashioned mimeographs used before photocopiers came in? They were powered by hand are still used in some parts of the world. Being able to copy out a page of a book would be a useful skill post collapse e.g directions, medical advice, diagrams etc. - I'm going to keep an eye on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

Swiss Army knife. After something to make fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

A portable water filter is very handy on the move but thats no sort of life long term and eventually it will be done. To settle down you need some sort of hand auger to sink a well and a pump to attach. These things can be heavy but you can stash them somewhere. Really the knowledge and information in your own head is the most useful tool of all in a survival situation.

popolive wrote: »
    A portable water filter is very handy on the move but thats no sort of life long term and eventually it will be done. To settle down you need some sort of hand auger to sink a well and a pump to attach. These things can be heavy but you can stash them somewhere. Really the knowledge and information in your own head is the most useful tool of all in a survival situation.

Well said popolive, no substitute for knowledge.

Advertisement