Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most useful survival item?

Options
  • 29-05-2014 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you think the most useful item would be post-collapse if you had to choose? (Beyond the obvious food and water)

I'd probably say baking soda. Is there anything it can't do? :-D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I was thinking rifle. :) Do you mean food / kitchen specific?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Khannie wrote: »
    I was thinking rifle. :) Do you mean food / kitchen specific?

Not at all Khannie, thank you for your thoughts. I don't want a rifle as I hear that most people end up getting shot with their own guns. Looking forward to seeing you holding me up for my baking soda and water very soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Fire? Or at least something to make it with?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Land, and lots of it. Once your food runs out, you'd need to replenish it the old fashioned way.

wexie wrote: »
    Fire? Or at least something to make it with?

Good call.

• Advertisement

Not at all Khannie, thank you for your thoughts. I don't want a rifle as I hear that most people end up getting shot with their own guns. Looking forward to seeing you holding me up for my baking soda and water very soon. :)

I was more thinking for hunting than being a thieving scumbag. :)

Fire's a good one. My own thoughts and efforts have been focused around electricity. The difference a few watts in a battery might make to a family evening would be enormous. We have a chromebook. 9 hours that sucker lasts with a full charge and that's with wifi on and the screen up bright. (I know it's a chromebook and that's fairly useless without a network connection, but I have Linux installed on it). Even an LED lantern would make life a lot more enjoyable.

edit: I'm assuming I'm starting out with the things that are already in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

I think I'd rather have the rifle than the bread soda but a good knife would be good too as I can use it to build bows and arrows, a shelter, a snare etc .

I think I'd rather have the rifle than the bread soda but a good knife would be good too as I can use it to build bows and arrows, a shelter, a snare etc .

Excellent saucyleopard, a knife has a million and one uses, including a way to get yourself some firewood and food!

It's my hope if everyone comments with what they'd find most useful we'll be able to make a list for the ultimate Bug Out Bag. :)

We have a chromebook. 9 hours that sucker lasts with a full charge and that's with wifi on and the screen up bright.

I have lots of just books, last forever if you stop them from getting wet, no wifi required and come with free imagination upgrade :P (take up a lot of space though :( )

You're very right about the few watts here and there making a difference though, I'd say if you changed all the light bulbs in your house to low consumption led's it'd make a huge difference to a battery bank / genny.

I'm in the process of designing a camper (hopefully eventually expedition vehicle) and I'm doing a lot of thinking about power, high spec leisure batteries aint cheap (and bloody heavy)

I was more thinking for hunting than being a thieving scumbag. :)

Fire's a good one. My own thoughts and efforts have been focused around electricity. The difference a few watts in a battery might make to a family evening would be enormous. We have a chromebook. 9 hours that sucker lasts with a full charge and that's with wifi on and the screen up bright. (I know it's a chromebook and that's fairly useless without a network connection, but I have Linux installed on it). Even an LED lantern would make life a lot more enjoyable.

edit: I'm assuming I'm starting out with the things that are already in my house.

On an unrelated note Khannie, would you mind telling me sometime how you got Ubuntu onto it? I've seen lots of articles online saying you can but that would be the bees knees.

So maybe something like a solar battery charger or a wind turbine would come in handy?

I'm currently sketching out plans for my dream log cabin (you're invited!) and am thinking long term maybe something like a generator to run Biodiesel might be an idea. My only slight worry is what you'd do if it broke down.

Just reading Cody Lundun's Disaster Survival Guide the other day. He says you need to focus on what electricity does for you e.g if you want it to power your oven what you really want is hot food, still I agree an array of LED's would be much better than having to dip tallow and make candles every other day. :)

• Advertisement

I have lots of just books, last forever if you stop them from getting wet, no wifi required and come with free imagination upgrade :P (take up a lot of space though :( )

You're very right about the few watts here and there making a difference though, I'd say if you changed all the light bulbs in your house to low consumption led's it'd make a huge difference to a battery bank / genny.

I'm in the process of designing a camper (hopefully eventually expedition vehicle) and I'm doing a lot of thinking about power, high spec leisure batteries aint cheap (and bloody heavy)

Sounds very exciting wexie, would you post updates on here? I'd like to see how you do?

At the risk of veering off topic, I take it you ant to bug out? My plan is to "bug in", start living in my log cabin with goats, pigs and growing food now, then it'll seem like second nature (hopefully!) :)

On an unrelated note Khannie, would you mind telling me sometime how you got Ubuntu onto it? I've seen lots of articles online saying you can but that would be the bees knees.

I used a tool called "crouton". It's very easy to get running. I did a "lubuntu" install, because I prefer it to ubuntu. It's on the Acer C720 with 4G of RAM (more than enough to run chrome OS and lubuntu concurrently).
    So maybe something like a solar battery charger or a wind turbine would come in handy?

Solar battery charger, definitely. Wind turbine would depend where you live. They're very little use in an urban or suburban environment. They're also highly visible. Lastly, they're not the most difficult things to make if you know how and have a few magnets around.
    I'm currently sketching out plans for my dream log cabin (you're invited!) and am thinking long term maybe something like a generator to run Biodiesel might be an idea. My only slight worry is what you'd do if it broke down.

Yeah, not a bad idea at all. I know they're less efficient, but petrol genny's would work with a wood gasifier if push came to shove. The ingredients necessary to make biodiesel may be hard to come by (though it's handy enough to make your own lye).
    Just reading Cody Lundun's Disaster Survival Guide the other day. He says you need to focus on what electricity does for you e.g if you want it to power your oven what you really want is hot food, still I agree an array of LED's would be much better than having to dip tallow and make candles every other day. :)

Agreed. :) It's a nice way of looking at it. It would be two things for me: Entertainment and lighting. I can only imagine the lift in morale that watching a movie or listening to some music would bring in a world without electricity. Books are great, I agree. I've probably become too accustomed to having audio visual entertainment on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Just wondering what you think the most useful item would be post-collapse if you had to choose? (Beyond the obvious food and water)

Well, assuming the collapse was relatively localised, and that you could become a refugee to some other country, the issue would be getting there in one piece.

I reckon that I could walk or go by bike, if the roads were unusable or if there was not enough fuel.

So looking at the rule of three, we have:
    - 3 minutes without air
    - 3 hours without a regulated body temperature (shelter)
    - 3 days without water
    - 3 weeks without food

Three hours without a regulated body temperature. This means three hours without shelter.

I reckon that I could ensure to have plenty of oxygen and avoid bleeding. This means that shelter is next on the list in a short-term situation.

I'm gonna go with shelter, in a refugee situation. You are going to need to travel light. Therefore, bivi bag*.

(*Needs insulation also - ideally sleeping bag and mat).

I can only imagine the lift in morale that watching a movie or listening to some music would bring in a world without electricity.

Hadn't really thought this through fully, I could happily swap movies for old fashioned books but would very much miss music (and me making my own music wouldn't be raising anyone's morale :D)
    Sounds very exciting wexie, would you post updates on here? I'd like to see how you do?

not much to see just yet, for the moment I'm making sure the base vehicle is sound (and gets through the DOE) and stays sound (lots of cleaning, scrubbing and painting).

Other than that many evenings on Ebay scouting for deals. If I had an unlimited budget (I don't) this would be easy but I want to avoid sticking in cheap chinese stuff if I can. No sense saving money on any components that could potentially set you on fire.

Garage is being built this summer so I'm just doing little jobs for the moment and working out a storage design and wiring diagrams, requirements etc. etc.

This is what she looks like driving :
    308953.jpg

And this is what she looks like camping :

308954.jpg

still lots of head scratching ahead, it's going to be a bit of a long term project necessitated by time and budget constraints :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    A Leatherman or equivalent. A fire steel. Water containers of a size that you can carry for hours. Water filtration devices.A decent rucksack. Something that can be burned to start a fire. Basic rations such as energy bars and trail mix, sugar, salt, all packed in waterproof containers. Torches, lots, large and small and batteries.

regards
    GttC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

A bushcraft/backwoods knife.

If you need to be told why, maybe you should just find someone who has one already, and stay close to them if everything starts to go belly up.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there,
    A Leatherman or equivalent. A fire steel. Water containers of a size that you can carry for hours. Water filtration devices.A decent rucksack. Something that can be burned to start a fire. Basic rations such as energy bars and trail mix, sugar, salt, all packed in waterproof containers. Torches, lots, large and small and batteries.

regards
    GttC

A man after my own heart, thanks Stovepipe, duly noted. For starting fires I use a combination of waterproof matches, along with cotton wool balls dipped in vaseline. How do you do it out of interest?

A bushcraft/backwoods knife.

If you need to be told why, maybe you should just find someone who has one already, and stay close to them if everything starts to go belly up.

You certainly could do worse. We've already discussed it could be invaluable for hunting and gathering firewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Hi there,

regards
    GttC

I was given a hunters Swiss army knife this year , I was looking for a rescue knife , need it for work .I'd recommend hunter one hands down any day.

I've had or had them all , leatherman knives , various Swiss army knives , a ferocious ak bayonet .... but one of the more surprising ones was a victorinoux catering knife , just a single blade ....but incredibly sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I was given a hunters Swiss army knife this year , I was looking for a rescue knife , need it for work .I'd recommend hunter one hands down any day.

I've had or had them all , leatherman knives , various Swiss army knives , a ferocious ak bayonet .... but one of the more surprising ones was a victorinoux catering knife , just a single blade ....but incredibly sharp.
    if you want incredibly sharp but not at a mad price tey an opinal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

aaakev wrote: »
    if you want incredibly sharp but not at a mad price tey an opinal

Its a particular type of blade , I want on a knife ,

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Land is all well and good, but not much use with out seeds.
    Making a seed stash is a good idea.

Morag wrote: »
    Land is all well and good, but not much use with out seeds.
    Making a seed stash is a good idea.

Well said Morag - needless to say 'heirloom seeds' are your friends here. Anyone else read "The Death of Grass"? It's all about a virus which kills of foods like wheat, barley, corn etc. and everyone's struggle to survive in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hadn't really thought this through fully, I could happily swap movies for old fashioned books but would very much miss music (and me making my own music wouldn't be raising anyone's morale :D)

not much to see just yet, for the moment I'm making sure the base vehicle is sound (and gets through the DOE) and stays sound (lots of cleaning, scrubbing and painting).

Other than that many evenings on Ebay scouting for deals. If I had an unlimited budget (I don't) this would be easy but I want to avoid sticking in cheap chinese stuff if I can. No sense saving money on any components that could potentially set you on fire.

Garage is being built this summer so I'm just doing little jobs for the moment and working out a storage design and wiring diagrams, requirements etc. etc.

This is what she looks like driving :
    308953.jpg

And this is what she looks like camping :

308954.jpg

still lots of head scratching ahead, it's going to be a bit of a long term project necessitated by time and budget constraints :(

I have a mark 1 pajero. Plan is much the same except for the rooftop canopy thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

For me the most important things would be
    1) Knife
    2) 550 Cord or similar
    3) multi tool
    4) light / power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

@recondite,i've used the cotton-dipped-in-liquid fuel in the past for fires, as well as waterproofed matches (long kitchen type). I've also made up ignition material from hoover and drying machine fluff.Balled-up and dipped in lighter fuel and stored in old film cans and a tobacco can.Sounds silly but any king of fabric waste will burn very well as a kick-start.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

If there was a actual shtf scenario... I would consider the horse invaluable. Grass is readily available.... Can travel fast over land and cross any obstacle we meet. Also have two trained to cart

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭schtinggg

I think you can surround yourself with as many gimmicks and gizmos as you like, god knows I like them as much as the next guy, but for me a cool head and know-how are the two most important basic survival tools.

@recondite,i've used the cotton-dipped-in-liquid fuel in the past for fires, as well as waterproofed matches (long kitchen type). I've also made up ignition material from hoover and drying machine fluff.Balled-up and dipped in lighter fuel and stored in old film cans and a tobacco can.Sounds silly but any king of fabric waste will burn very well as a kick-start.

regards
    Stovepipe

Hats off to you stovepipe, that's a brilliant idea. I always throw away the lint from the tumble dryer (my once concession to comfort living!). Will give it a try...

• Advertisement

If there was a actual shtf scenario... I would consider the horse invaluable. Grass is readily available.... Can travel fast over land and cross any obstacle we meet. Also have two trained to cart

Did you train the horses yourself? I imagine that must be rather difficult. Long term I suppose you could use them for other things like pressing cider (sorry I'm a consummate alcoholic).

I have my plans sketched out for my log cabin and patch of land in the country but have decided in favour of pigs and goats over cows and horses, mainly because the latter need so much land to graze. I suppose I'm just worried I wouldn't be able to maintain such a wide perimeter post collapse ; perhaps you'll have your family to help you though?

Advertisement