Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak on a stone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mr Steak wrote: »
    Me likeee. Me likeeee lots !

Are you stoned?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Very rarely order steak in a restaurant I have to say, partly because of the unjustifiably extortionate prices but mostly because I generally dont order things that I could make just as well or better at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

^^ agreed..
    Boss took me to a place in Limerick where they serve their steak speciality which is char grilled...wasn't too impressed with it as I don't like char grill.

I prefer going to my local butcher "ribeye steak about 1.5 inches thick" that costs about a tenner and get the missus to cook it. Miles better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    "Oh the weather is great, and the suntan is free. You could cook an egg on the stones here, if you had an egg, and you could certaintly sink a pint of Harp...........if you had a pint of Harp"
    ... and Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Birneybau wrote: »
    A full chicken? Would take fecking hours.

Na a bit of chicken tit which was seasoned with something or other.

Whatever about cooking steak on a stone, I'd have thought cooking chicken yourself on a stone brought with it some inherent health risks.

The whole concept is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I was in a Dublin cafe a few weeks back and I ordered a hot chocolate. I was brought a cup of hot milk and another cup of chocolate buttons. Not only that but the waiter then explained to me that I got to add the buttons myself in a tone that suggested it was going to be the best experience of my life and I was a very lucky boy
    That's hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the next tranche of fads where the restaurant brings out the cow and you have to slaughter it and cut out what bit you want.
    'Moo's n Choose'

Douglas Adams may have beaten you to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Used to go to a place in Kinsealy. 2 starters, 2 steaks on stone and a bottle of wine for 30 quid all in. Excellent soakage for an evening of drinking. Now the wine was just okay but the food was always lovely. It's just a novelty thing I guess. Every mouthful was piping hot - and a free facial sauna thrown in :-) played havoc with my already frizzy hair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Used to go to a place in Kinsealy. 2 starters, 2 steaks on stone and a bottle of wine for 30 quid all in. Excellent soakage for an evening of drinking. Now the wine was just okay but the food was always lovely. It's just a novelty thing I guess. Every mouthful was piping hot - and a free facial sauna thrown in :-) played havoc with my already frizzy hair though.

Internet has ruined me. Facial just means something completely different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Never heard of this before, must be a big smoke thing.
    One thing for sure you would get away with none of that carry on around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm looking forward to the next tranche of fads where the restaurant brings out the cow and you have to slaughter it and cut out what bit you want.
    'Moo's n Choose'
    anncoates wrote: »
    Douglas Adams may have beaten you to that.

Let's not blame poor Douglas for the bad acting

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

I eat the steak and put on a stone?

Maybe eat the steak and then eat the stone as dessert.

No that's not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Stone steak is sooo winter 2014, you all need to keep up with the times, culinary philistines.

winter 2014 is 6 months from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Generally speaking, stake on a stone is more of a problem for me. Very hard to keep the fence upright if the posts didn't go deep enough.

Generally speaking, stake on a stone is more of a problem for me. Very hard to keep the fence upright if the posts didn't go deep enough.

If you move the stone you can use it as a mallet to drive the stake in deeper

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

'Moo's n Choose'

Steak on a Stone???

You don't want any of that...

This is much more authentic!

Rats on a stick!

jabx14.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

FunLover18 wrote: »
    If you move the stone you can use it as a mallet to drive the stake in deeper

not if it's a great big stone buried down about a foot. Hitting the stake harder usually just splits it too..:mad:

not if it's a great big stone buried down about a foot. Hitting the stake harder usually just splits it too..:mad:

Ah yeh, in that situation you're fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I haven't ever encountered this. Do they actually bring out a raw steak for you to cook yourself? How does the stone work, is it actually just a slab of slate that has been heated before hand, I cant imagine that would stay hot for long so i assume I'm missing something.

Never heard of it myself. If I am expected to cook it myself then why would I bother my hole with something like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Quite a few peasants on this thread that have never tried steak on the stone :pac: its very nice, yes a bit more expensive but you won't be complaining when you have eaten it..i have had it loads & i love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm with the crowd that expects when paying money for a meal that said meal should be presented to me already cooked. What's next, being charged an extra fiver and expected to peel the carrots myself? Feck that.

Quite a few peasants on this thread that have never tried steak on the stone :pac: its very nice, yes a bit more expensive but you won't be complaining when you have eaten it..i have had it loads & i love it.

A bit more expensive to cook your own dinner instead of having it prepared by a professional?

Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

anywhere i've had it, there was no difference in the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Birneybau wrote: »
    A bit more expensive to cook your own dinner instead of having it prepared by a professional?

Bargain.
    stevieob wrote: »
    anywhere i've had it, there was no difference in the price

If anything, it's cheaper. The place I go has a two for thirty with a bottle of plonk deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

do you get to keep the stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Wossack wrote: »
    do you get to keep the stone?

pick it up and scar your hand.....

If anything, it's cheaper. The place I go has a two for thirty with a bottle of plonk deal.

I was sarcastically replying to the post I quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Is it cooked on a limestone or granite stone? Just that I heard limestone leaves a faminey after-taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

mike_ie wrote: »
    You need to hit up a Korean restaurant sometime. You sit crosslegged on the floor, griddle in the middle of the table, they serve you up a bowl of kimchi and a tray of raw meat and, go your hardest.... :D

Korean bbq is one of the things I'll miss most about this country when I leave in a few days.

Advertisement