Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jocoal

We go to Lake Garda quite often and have stayed in Sirimone - it is very busy and a bit touristy but without a car it would be a great place to stay as the ferry links around the lake are great.
    We stayed in the hotel Olivi once there in Sirimone and it was lovely - could be booked out for August. Try Venere.com and lago di garda.com for accomodation.
    I hope you get something as August is VERY busy there and a lot of places are booked out.
    Also try villarenters.co.uk.
    Hth

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pk88

hi i stayed in riva del garda before and I loved it.The scenery is beautiful and the weather was great its a really nice town.

I can`t remembr what hotel I satyed in but what i definately would advise is to eat in The Golden Lion in the town it was the nicest italian restraunt i`v ever been to and not very exspensive.Your Gf would be impressed if you brought her there!ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IrishGirl1

Myself and my friend are planning on booking a last minute trip for a few days next week, we're two girls in mid twenties but cannot decide on a location! We'd like somewhere near a theme park, has decent nightlife and is fairly near a city so we could maybe go shopping for a day - Any recommendations? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

You should go 2 London the sterling is great at the moment.I'm heading there next week for 4 days flight+hostel €60 I'd be a fool if i didn't go at that price.also look on booking.com

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

I'll be heading for Florida shortly (tomorrow morning actually) and I'm going to have 5 days to kill in Orlando from next Monday.

I've been looking at hotels this morning and the choice is simply BEWILDERING. Most people tell me I need to stay on International Drive, which is close to all the theme parks of course. Thing is, seeing as I'm traveling alone I reckon I'll only spend a day or two in the parks. So was wondering would I be better of staying somewhere close to downtown Orlando where I'll be close to the best bars, restaurants and museums? The sort of thing I focus on when I'm away by myself.

I know Orlando is very spread out so trying to pick a 'central' location to stay where I can make the most of everything is not that straightforward.

Also, I'm thinking about hiring a car. Good idea?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i wouldn't stay in downtown orlando and i wouldn't travel there on my own for sure, there is nothing to recommend downtown, you have plenty of bars at universal citywalk and the fact that alot of downtown (south) is ghetto, the only thing that would entice me to visit downtown orlando would be an nba game (as magic are quite good these days) or an event at the citrus bowl

stay on I-Drive, it has the best hotels, best restaurants, short distance to the malls, a good public transportation system that goes up and down the length of i-drive, its also closer to the airport and has little or no crime and no homelessness like in downtown and its clean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I agree with rossie1977, international drive is touristy, but for a five day trip, it's very convienient. The I-Trolly is the local bus that goes up and down Int. Drive all day. For anywhere else, there is the Lynx bus service. A few hotels offer shuttle buses to the theme parks, but some only go to Universal, while others only go to Disney! Try to get a hotel that offers both!

As for a choice of hotel - depends on what you want. Cheap & clean, more up market, with a restaurant, gym, bar - your choice is only governed by your budget. You can even stay in Cinderellas castle in the Magic Kingdom if you have the cash! Our family of four is going out in June, and we're staying at The Homewood Suites on International Drive, as it offers what we wanted, at a very decent price.

Restaurants: Bahama Breeze, on Int. Drive offers a "taste of the Islands" menu, and is wonderful! Olive Garden, again on I-D, offers an Italien menu, and is great.

Cirque du Soleil perform La Nouba, at Downtown Disney (part of the Disney Complex) twice a day, 6pm & 9pm. Costs about €60 - but it's a great show.

If you go to the Magic Kingdom, try to get back again for about 9pm for the "Wishes" firework show. It's performed to music, and really is a sight.

Then there's two HUGE shopping malls to contend with!
    You'll find plenty to keep you going.

Best of luck, and maybe tell us how it went, when you get back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Have to agree with everything said by Mrmac and rossie. Stay around I-Drive and you are in the heart of everything!

Love Orlando so enjoy it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Thanks everyone for the replies. Some very interesting and very useful information there. It's funny, all the guidebooks I consulted commented on how the downtown area was definitely worth visiting in that it was a refreshing break from the crowds of iDrive and had some of the best bars and restaurants in town. There you go...

Still, I could set a day aside and take a bus into that part of the town if the feeling grabs me.

My mother and sister actually stayed in the Homewood Suites Mrmac and they loved it. I'll check that out later. Great tip on Cirque du Soleil too. Been meaning to take in their show here in Ireland so I could catch it while I'm there.

I'm a bit of a foodie and I've actually drawn up something of a restaurant list already. There are a number of great sounding places along W Sand Lake Road. I'll check those places you mentioned also mrmac.

And where are those two shopping malls? Must take advantage of these mythical bargains I keep hearing about.

I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

A foodie! Then you will love Bahama Breeze & Olive Garden. Without a doubt, two of the best places to eat in Orlando - IMHO :D

What other places to eat are you thinking about?

Also consider:

Season 52 - Carrabas - Outback - Bubba Gumps @ City Walk in Universal - Sharks Underwater Grill @ SeaWorld.

Just to clarify something. You asked about Downtown Orlando, are you sure you didn't mean Downtown Disney? That's a completely different story! Downtown Disney is fantastic! You'll find loads of info about it out there, but it has loads of good places to eat, clubs, live music and street entertainment.

The malls are: The Florida Mall, southern Orlando - Prime Outlets, Int. Drive - The Millenia Mall, close to Universal, northern end of Int. Drive.

If you go to The Millenia Mall, make a pitstop at the Cheesecake Factory, you'll thank me!

Edit: just realised, you probably won't see this, as you're heading off today. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭suraheg

Hey Guys

Going to florida for 8 nights the end of may. I am just planning it now, we've decided to go to non disney theme parks, islands of adventure, busch gardens etc. Anyway we've our hotel and flights booked, and am just wondering if anyone has any idea of the best restaurants and shopping places. we're not going to have excessive amounts of money but we're into places like old navy, vans, american eagle? Any idea of the best places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭mackey087

we payed $600 for 2 14 day unlimited tickets for the parks you mentioned at the gate of wet n wild. shopping is great there. prime and premium outlets are great value. reebok store had 3 pairs of ladies runners for $60, ecko had 2 t shirts for 20 etc. all along int drive are loads of gift shops really nice clothes from $5 up. payless shoes is good value for mens runners, its like an irish version of tylers shoes. eating out is very well priced. ponderossa resturants offer $4 all you can eat breakfast and dinners from $10. sizzlers is another great place. they really love the steaks there. chinese buffets $10, chillies is good. olive garden resturant near wonderworks is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Get the 14 days Flexi ticket for the parks. Try avoid signing the back of it then you can sell it too some of the booths around for the unused 7 days. Wont get much for it but better than nothing.

Shopping is great as previous poster mentioned. Get an unlimited pass on the I-Ride trolley. This goes all the way up and down IDrive.For Busch Gardens get the Iride to seaworld and connect with the free shuttle there.

We had breakfast in sizzlers most mornings as it was next to our hotel. Great value plus they give you discount if you come back for dinner that evening, same applies for evening, discount for breakfast next morning. We went to TGI's too. Cheap enough food, $2 bottle of bud. Also, if your into italian food, theres a lovely restraunt just down past the upside down house. One of the nicest italians Ive ever had. Portion sizes are huge, we got half portions of pasta, recommended by waiter, and still didnt finish them. Staff are amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Hi suraheg, you wanna really plan your days out before you go because if your goin for 8 nights the chances are you only have 7 days and your more than likely will take 2 days out for rest/shopping as it does take it toll on you walking around. In int. drive area alone there are 5 parks without travelling to disney or busch gardens.

The the 1st year we went we got the 14 day unlimited pass and done island of adventure, universal studio's, wet n wild, seaworld, aquatica all twice, done plenty of shopping and chillin out and was great.

The italian which was mentioned above is http://www.maggianos.com/ and is really one of the best places to eat over there, another nice one is bahama breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Yes thats the place, absolutely lovely. Didnt have food in Bahama breeze but had a few cocktails. Cant wait to get back in May. You could do one of the parks if your up early, like seaworld, closes at 6pm, back to your hotel to drop stuff off and then go shopping in one of the outlet parks. Then another day do wet and wild and go to the outlets at the other end of Idrive. It is do-able. I was only there for 7 days last time and got eveything in. A day of rest would have been nice but you can chill some evenings after the parks too, like when you get back from busch gardens. As far as I remember the outlets were open until 11pm most nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I've been to Alton Towers a good few times and find it quite good, and at the right time of year, pretty good value. Last september, me and 3 friends (we're all guys) drove over for 2 nights, 3 days and it only cost us about €180 each all in, except lunch and dinner and any spending money obviously. It included park tickets for 2 day, water park tickets for 2 days, hotel, boat, fuel, breakfast for 2 days also.

We're thinking of doing it again and don't really mind going back there, but there is a slight thought by al of us that we'd like to try something new. We've only been to AT together that once, but all but one of us have been at least 3 times now.

It's looking like we'll have to go in the last 2 weeks in august at this stage, due to me possibly having one repeat to do in september and one of the other guys going back to college. We know it's going to be a bit more expensive in august. I did a very quick search for a similar AT trip, stena nordica from Dublin-Holyhead 2am on wednesday (gets us at AT at about 8/9) and return leaves holyhead at 9PM friday. SO you can see what sort of time frame we're looking at here.
    All in again, it worked out at €265, that doesn't take into account bargaining with AT which I did last time, and a possible coupon for stena line. So I'd say all in for everything I'd say no more than €275.

So we're looking for alternatives, be it other, equally exhilarating theme parks in the UK, within a reasonable drive from a port. Or flying somewhere for a few days, preferably not for city life, but again hopefully for a theme park idea.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

edit: anywhere in budget is on option, not just UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thorpe Park has some awesome rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, was gonna mention Thorpe Park. Haven't stayed there but I've visited and it's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Any idea what Chessington is like these days? Quite possible to do a day in each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TremblingTurnip

+1 for Thorpe Park, I was there a few years ago and it is awesome.

• Advertisement

Thorpe park seems to be based on horror? doesn't really matter but good to know if it is.

Forgot to mention in the OP that anywhere is an option once it fits the budget, not just the UK.

any other thoughts on similar ideas for europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

It's years and years since I was there myself, but what about the Blackpool Pleasure Beach?

And I've friends who go to Port Aventura, near Barcelona every year, but again, no personal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

Ya id go with portadventura you would be guranteed sun aswel in aug. Ryanair fly to reus which is only 10 min from there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I was in portaventura twice and couldn't reccommend it enough.

If you stay in the hotels there you get like a guest pass thing and can skip the lines.

port aventura sounds good, might extend the stay by a day though :) what sort of rides are there etc? are there a fair few rides that would leave many feeling a bit worse for wear?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

Have a look on their web-site www.portadventura.co.uk will give you an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I went to De Elftling in the Netherlands last year and have to say I really enjoyed it, much more so than Disneyland Paris. I am hoping to go to Movieland Park in Germany this year and so far I have priced it at approx 500 for me and the two kids which includes flights, hotel and park tickets. This website should give you a good indication of the various parks around Europe:

http://www.themeparkcity.com/EURO_index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

blackpool pleasure beach and portadventura are the two best theme parks in europe imo haven't been to europa park.........yet (going in july) http://www.coastergrotto.com/top-10-parks.jsp

blackpool has the coolest indoor water ride i have ever been on and i have been to all the top parks on planet earth including all the ones in orlando and cedar point

everything considered blackpool is a much better spot than alton towers, the theme park is actually in town not a million miles in the backcountry near nowhere, the parks are equal in terms of rides, blackpool has a beach and some of the best nightlife in the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Drayton Manor is about an hours drive south of Alton Towers so if you were to stay somewhere in between like Derby which is also close to East Midlands Airport.

http://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/

I havent been to Drayton Manor yet but have looked at the website quite a few times.
    If you can save up I would go to Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio.One of the best places to go for thrill rides and situated on the shore of Lake Erie

http://www.cedarpoint.com/

Advertisement