Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

For those who've been there, how would ye rate bush gardens?? renting a car and thinking of heading out to it as it looks the business

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bartooseboy

Myself and herself are going to Barcelona for a few days next week. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what to visit, what tours to take etc (not too interested in the nou camp) . Also where would be a good spot for a romantic meal of an evening.

All suggestions would be welcomed. :)

oh we are in our mid 20's. (well im more late 20's but shes mid 20)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I was there recently and had a great time. I followed the Guadi stuff mainly and it was lovely - Parc Guell was nice and free (long walk though). Thing is most things have an entrance fee usually about €12. The markets are nice as well. Stay away from the tour buses and use the underground. It will take a day to get used to but worthwile. Maybe hire a bike!!

The beach area is nice, trendy and some nice restaurants.

Hi thegills. Sounds great thanks for that, really looking forward to it now. What kinda clothes did you wear over there? is it hot this time of the year? oh and had you any run in with pick-pockets!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Didnt see many pick-pockets or beggars but I was careful. Actually think Dublin is worse. I was there end July so it was boiling. Not sure what the weather is like now but i'd say it's warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

Did the Aquarium, Zoo, Red Line Bus Tour, and the Nou Camp. Out of the four the Aquarium was the most expensive and was easily the worst attraction we visited. If that's the second largest Aquarium in Europe I can safely say I won't be visiting another one on this continent anytime soon, give me Bray's anyday . While it was great being just a few feet away from massive sharks it wasn't worth the €17.50 entry fee. The Zoo was great and I'd highly recommend it. The highlight being the dolphin show which lasted 50 minutes and it really was excellent. There are two shows a day both starting at 11.30 and 1.30. The bus tour was Ok, it was great to see so much of the city in a couple of hours but I'm the type of person who prefers to go inside rather than looking from the outside. For instance, I fell asleep on a bus tour of Vienna . The Nou Camp was good but I was expecting better for some reason?! It was surreal walking out into the stands at first and being swallowed up by the size of the ground but I was hoping for more, in terms of the tour. I thought the home dressing was ****e, for a club of its size - the seating was appalling in the changing room. Overall, it was a great trip and would definitely head back.

thanks raheny red,

will deffo do the zoo. probably do one of the walking tours instead of the bus tour, i like to o inside places too! looking forward to it now. :)

Hey all,

Have booked a week to Salou in spain. Looking for any ideas to pass the time?

Portaventure theme park is nearby and will be open, so that's sure to pass a day. Barcelona is an hour away, apparently, and there are football fans with us, so that'll be another day out.

Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions, thoughts or ideas?

Was also wondering if I could ask anyone who has been to port aventura about their rollercoasters. There's a friend who is thinking of going with us too to portaventura. He hasn't booked anything yet, but is a little worried about wanting to ride coasters and the likes. He's a bit of a 'big' bloke if you know what I mean. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a fat bastard myself.

Was wondering if anyone has ever had any issues like this over there?

I'm about 38" in the waist and about 15 1/2 stone. I'm a fat bastard, but I'm not too bad I don't think? I reckon I should be ok, hopefully. However, although I don't know his sizes, I'd say he's hitting about 46" waist and perhaps 19-20 stone? Understandably he's quite worried about potential embarrassment, so i just thought Id ask on his behalf (annonimity of the web and all).

So yeah, anyone got any info or advice on either fronts?

Huge thanks to anyone able to help out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I'm heading over on a class trip next week, any suggestions on what kinda clothes to wear this time of year? and suggestions on bars would also be lovely, not gonna lie, we plan on getting fairly smashed, but we have our tours already organised, red line day 1 and day 2 we're renting out bikes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The Picasso museum is well worth a visit, turns out he did a lot more than just cubism :D

La Sagrada Familia is worth a visit too. As has been said the Parc Guell (Gaudi Park) is excellent but probably much better in good weather so check the forecast before you go there.

For a romantic meal you could try somewhere like the Barcelonetta restaurant but to be honest I've eaten there twice and find the food to be far too salty. It's also not intimate but has a reputation for great food (don't understand that reputation myself tbh) and the atmosphere is quite good. Oh yeah, it's mostly seafood so if you're not seafood fans, steer clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I have been to barcelona twice this year so I got to see a fair bit of it.
    Sagrada familia is a must, it takes forever to get in but the view from the top is amazing.
    Parc guell is a great way to spend a few hours. Theres a few cafes and shops near the main entrance. Buy yourself a bite to eat, relax, and check out the performers. Another good view of the city from here as well.
    I wouldnt bother with the aquarium. As mentioned before, it wasnt great and not worth the price.
    If you wanted to go on a cycling tour I would recommend this spot.
    I got a tour with them for 8 euro, the tour lasted about two hours and we got a beer thrown in down at the beach. The tour guide was very informative as well. Their office is just through that gate where you see the bicycle, and its just off la rambla.
    Plaza reial is one of my favourite spots in the city. Theres a little tapas bar in the corner just as you go in. I went there most mornings for my coffee and croisant and just soaked it all in. Its a beautiful square.
    Theres a nice restaraunt on the square as well. Cant remember it's name but it did italian/spanish quisine. In general I would stay clear of la ramblas for dinner but that was the one exception.
    I headed out to montserrat on the train and got a cable car up to the monastery. If you have the time you should consider that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm going to Barcelona with my OH for a week in January. Do you guys think a week is too long? Will we have enough to do there? We're going Saturday to Saturday. I guess we could rent a car and travel around somewhat... Can any of you recommend a nice apartment or hotel for the week? There's lots of info in this thread. Thank you. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

A week is never too long in Barcelona !
    There is so much to see and do there and you can also take a day trip to Andorra to go skiing or do some tax free shopping.

For accommodation, check out Aparthotel Athena in Carrer de Joan Guell.
    I stayed here for a week last February and highly recommend the place.
    If you do stay here, the Sunday morning market outside the church in nearby Placa de la Concordia is well worth the 2 minute walk to visit !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I went to Barca last August for a week, by far the best holiday I've ever had. There is so much to see and do. We went to the beach twice and walked around loads. Picasso Museum, chocolate museum, gaudi stuff, Camp Nou and just get lost in the massive amount of back streets.

Shopping is amazing too. Cheaper than Dublin in my opinion.
    Placa Reial was our favorite place to eat had a lovely little tapas bar and and Irish pub behind it too! (My bar!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

was there last summer and if anyone has a car would definitely recommend a visit to the monastery in monseratt. view is breathtaking on the way there. we were also taken to a restaurant on the way there, it was in a vineyard at the base of the mountain and was just amazing, the view, the food, everything!! can't find the blood name of it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Avoid all the restaurants on the Ramblas, over priced, rubbish service and crap food. Actually avoid the Ramblas at night full stop, its just full of prostitutes, Indians selling beer cans and people smoking joints, it's just unpleasant. All the street entertainers that used to be there are gone, it's really a blight on the city now rather than an asset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Would have to agree. Barcelona is a fantastic city, up there with Berlin for the perfect long weekend. But Ramblas is a kip, worth a visit to the food market in the daytime, but to be avoided at night. The gothic area is amazing, and has one of the quirkiest pubs I've ever been in, the Bosc de les Fades.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hi there.
    OP - I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread, but seeing as you posted last September, I'm sure it's fine! :D.
    I'm going to Barcelona with my hubby next month for 3 days. It's my hubby's 40th so I'd love to do something special.
    There are some great suggestions in here for things to do but if anyone has anything to add, I'd appreciate it.
    I would love to take him somewhere different for dinner - don't mind spending a good bit. We're big foodies and a dinner to remember would go down well.
    Any thoughts and comments welcome! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 momma3

Hi planning a family trip to Germany for summer 2011 and we would like to visit a few theme parks etc. for the kids.

We will be flying into Dusseldorf airport and planned to head to the Warner bros. movie park for a day or two which is in Bottrop-Kirchhellen.Has anyone been that can recommend a hotel near by?

Also anyone who has been to Germany theme parks or family holiday parks i would love to hear your feedback!:D

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭markst33

Hi Folks,

We are looking at bringing our 7 year old to Alton Towers for a weekend or so in July. I was looking at their website and it works out at £108GBP for a 2 day pass.

Would people recommend this place. I am a fan of rollercoasters and such and the young fellah was on his only rollercoaster in Colombia last year and loved it.

I am interested in hearing from people who have been here. is it good, where did you stay, where did you fly into, names of Hotels, cities you stayed. Suitable for child of 7 and so on.

All contributions gratefully received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

I went 3 years ago with celtic tours for 2 nights on a bus from limerick was some trek me and my friend but worth it, we went on a saturday it was like 30 degrees heat the place is huge with loads to do and never ending fun. they have all different sections it took us the day to just do the main attractions for adults but if your bringing a kid youll be kept on your toes as theres plenty to do. Do expect to wait long in queues in main rides, we waited over a hour for one but was worth it ha. ive been to disney land paris and thought alton towers was way better im even thinkign trying to go back again this year.

Cheers for that. Tell me where did you stay ? and is everything free once you pay in ? Also we were thinking of going during mid week in the hope of keeping the queues to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

We stayed in the Holiday Inn in Stoke on Trent (craphole of a city) and got the bus to the park. I would strongly recommend buying the early bird tickets, where you get half an hour in the park before it opens to the public who pay for regular tickets. It is an excellent theme park, you'll love it!

only thing you pay for is food and tattoos in the shops, you can pay 10 pounds i think and get a special drink that you can refill when ever you want which is handy, if theres no queues youd get it all done in a day otherwise it will take a while. I stayed in the holiday inn its in stoke on trent our bus driver brought us everywhere it was handy we stopped for a 2 hour shopping spree on the way to stoke on trent aswell.

Thanks for your input guys. Tell me do the tixkets give you access to the theme park and the Waterpark or are they separate things. Also is the Waterpark indoors ?

the water park is seperate heres the link:

http://www.altontowers.com/waterpark/

just browse through there site and see whats on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

it's a good few years since I was there but it is a great theme park, loads to do and with a kid it may take more than a day.

I stayed with relations but my friend was there 2years ago and they stayed on an on-site hotel, it cost more but was cheaper in the long run as they were there the year before and they stayed in a nearby towwn/city and they spent a fortune on taxis etc. and they said the convenience factor alone was worth it.

it is way busier at weekends, you don't pay for rides once you pay admission but the queues can be long. AFAIK there is a band you can get to skip queues, it's expensive though. It may not even be for alton towers, I could be thinking of thorpe park

have a blast anyway, your kid will love it!

Thanks for that, tell me where did you fly to ?

I didnt fly but you 3 options are liverpool, manchester and birmingham and they all have trains gong to stoke on trent which i think is around near enough 1 to 1 half hour journey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭9_Iron

I visited AT with some friends a couple of years back and it was brilliant fun.
    If you're into rollercoasters, you'll have a ball - I'm a huge fan and am hoping to go back this year as well, as some new rides have opened since.

As mentioned by the other posters, Stoke is a good base point for visiting, and I think there is also a bus service from Uttoxeter.
    Alternatively, you could hire a car, as there's ample parking and it's reasonably easy to find (there are a few country roads to be negotiated, but plenty of signs along the way).

I'm not sure if a 7-year old will be allowed on all of the rollercoasters, but there are heaps of them dotted around the park, so I doubt you'll struggle for entertainment.

A word of warning though: July (with the possible exception of the very start of the month) will be insanely busy there: if there was any chance that ye could get there for a long weekend in mid to late June instead (schools permitting), you'd beat the UK school holiday rush.
    If it has to be July, then avoid the weekends if at all possible: otherwise, I've been told you will struggle to get on more than 4/5 rides all day, due to the queues.

Advertisement