Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭mightyreds

What I found if your getting the free buses from the hotels to the parks your ahead of the crowd you'll usually get a round of the park in before the crowds build.

recommend Busch gardens as well it's a very long day if getting the bus included with tickets but worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Check out this website http://orlandoinformer.com/

Gives a crowd calendar telling you what's on Iin universal and if it will be busy.

Fast passes won't be needed if it's not busy. The busiest rides I had was for the harry Potter one. The second harry Potter bit wasn't open when I was last over.

Also if you have any interest in space. Kennedy space center is well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Best tip we got for the parks is to be there as soon as they open, walk straight to the far side of the park and work your way back towards the entrance, you're going the opposite way to the crowds!
    Also loved Downtown Disney and their water parks!

The Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld is a great book, I think they have an Orlando version too, they're super handy for tips and places to visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Try to make your way over to Kennedy Space Centre if you can, it's awesome. Essentially Disney Land for nerds. It might be finished now but when I went there a couple of months ago you still had the option to visit Launch Control but they were in the process of converting it over for the likes of SpaceX and Boeing so that might be finished now.

Sadly I didn't get to go inside the VAB as they're busy with Orion in there.

While in Universal Studios we went to the Blue Man Group which was a little on the pricey side but still good fun. You don't have to do this on a day you're in the park as the entertainment areas are accessible from outside the park.

Be aware that if you want to see all the Harry Potter stuff at Universal Studios you'll need to buy the cross park ticket (and buy a wand, I regret not buying a wand!). Make sure to take the Hogwarts Express between the two parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Hi Guys,

Myself and my girlfriend are travelling to Orlando mid September this year, gonna be there for 9 days/10 nights.
    Just had a few questions that hopefully someone could help with??
    - What is best practise with regards park tickets, planning 3 days in Disneyworld and 3 in Universal, buy before we go or after we land?
    - Are the fast pass tickets worth the money?
    - Any suggestions for how best to spend a few days outside the parks?? (Possibly rent a car for several days if need be)
    (2 Adults travelling with no kids)

Last time I went it was the last two weeks in September in 2009 (just before HP opened). We used the older version of the 'fast pass' in Disney, where you got a ticket with a time to come back, skip the queue and ride. You could only have one 'fast pass' at a time. This was a pain. If anyone has any experience of the newer system share please.

The Universal 'fast pass' was beyond worth it in my opinion. As I said when I went HP wasn't open (I'd say the parks are more crammed now with HP). And the Rip Ride Rockit was new and not on the 'fast pass'. I queued for approx 1 1/2hrs to ride that. For all the other rides I think I queued 10mins tops. Sailed passed the regular queue. I am so purchasing this when I go back in June next year. For me it is beyond worth the price.

Try to make your way over to Kennedy Space Centre if you can, it's awesome. Essentially Disney Land for nerds. It might be finished now but when I went there a couple of months ago you still had the option to visit Launch Control but they were in the process of converting it over for the likes of SpaceX and Boeing so that might be finished now.

Sadly I didn't get to go inside the VAB as they're busy with Orion in there.

While in Universal Studios we went to the Blue Man Group which was a little on the pricey side but still good fun. You don't have to do this on a day you're in the park as the entertainment areas are accessible from outside the park.

Be aware that if you want to see all the Harry Potter stuff at Universal Studios you'll need to buy the cross park ticket (and buy a wand, I regret not buying a wand!). Make sure to take the Hogwarts Express between the two parks.

I will so be buying a wand. I went to the Studio Tour in January and regret not buying a wand there. So I will NOT be coming home without one this time

• Advertisement

I am heartbroken that Wet n Wild is closing this December. I have my fingers crossed that Volcano Bay is open by June next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

hdowney wrote: »
    Last time I went it was the last two weeks in September in 2009 (just before HP opened). We used the older version of the 'fast pass' in Disney, where you got a ticket with a time to come back, skip the queue and ride. You could only have one 'fast pass' at a time. This was a pain. If anyone has any experience of the newer system share please.

The Universal 'fast pass' was beyond worth it in my opinion. As I said when I went HP wasn't open (I'd say the parks are more crammed now with HP). And the Rip Ride Rockit was new and not on the 'fast pass'. I queued for approx 1 1/2hrs to ride that. For all the other rides I think I queued 10mins tops. Sailed passed the regular queue. I am so purchasing this when I go back in June next year. For me it is beyond worth the price.

For Disney fastpass you have to set up a mydisneyexperience account, do it on a lap or desktop, once you & your group are on it, download the app & go from there. Disney onsite guests can book fastpasses 180 days ahead of time, off site guests it's only 30 days so depending on when you are visiting it can be difficult to get what you want, when you want it

Book a one night stay at a deluxe Universal hotel, Hard rock or Portofino Bay, check in at 7am & you will get two days unlimited express pass, if there is a group of you going this may be worth doing, the regular express pass you can buy on the day aren't unlimited AFAIK

The single rider line can be useful too, may not always ride together but better that standing in line for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I am heartbroken that Wet n Wild is closing this December. I have my fingers crossed that Volcano Bay is open by June next year

Is it that was a good water park, the atomic drop? Was class in there, you stand into the casket like structure at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Hi, does anyone know the dates for Fr hlingsfest 2017?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it seems to be planned around the May bank holiday on the 1st of May.
    The last time this was on a monday was back in 2006, and then the fest went from the 21st April for the 2 weeks until the 7th of May. Whether they do this again, or have it for the last 2 weeks of April plus an extra day in May, I dont know. Thats now what they do for the Oktoberfest.

If you can wait another few days they will no doubt make an announcement on the last day of this years fest on the 1st of May, or if you really need certainty, then the week from the 21st April to May 1st will definitely be the core of the fest, its just a question of whether its the week before or week after which is tagged on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Thanks,

We've chanced the weekend of the 21st April 2017 and booked a few hotel room (free cancellation)...

Just looking to confirm dates early :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Universal is uping the stakes in the Theme Park Wars in Orlando.

2016 sees a new Kong Atraction along with the improvements to The Hulk

And in 2017 they are opening two new attractions "Fast & The Furious" And "Race Through New York starring Jimmy Fallon"

They're really going all out with the parks since the arrival of Potter and this is another example of building on their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Thanks,

We've chanced the weekend of the 21st April 2017 and booked a few hotel room (free cancellation)...

Just looking to confirm dates early :D
    hippodrom tent has announced the dates as :
    21. April – 07. Mai 2017
    http://www.hippodrom.de/fruehlingsfest/

the 1st of may is a holiday in Ireland so maybe a better weekend for you to aim for, but flights will likely be correspondingly expensive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loughc wrote: »

Yea got an email from them today about it. Next year can't come quick enough

Yea got an email from them today about it. Next year can't come quick enough

Are you going over next year? So jealous, 2017 is set to be a great year to visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

So myself and my boyfriend (we're 28) are heading to disneyworld so I can relive my childhood. We were in Disneyland Paris last year and managed that no bother but Orlando seems to be off the scale altogether. I'm sitting down trying to plan now and it all seems so over my head. We're hoping to go for 7/8 days leaving on 6th July til 13/14th. So anyone who has made this trip before I would really appreciate your help!

Questions
    1. Whereabouts to stay? I've been told international drive but it seems so far from the parks
    2. How do you get from park to park? Is there good public transport?
    3. Recommendations for a nice hotel. We're not looking for 5 star luxury but somewhere clean and comfy where we can get a good sleep each night would help.
    4. Should we get a rental car or is it a waste of time? My oh is well used to driving in the states so it's not bother to him really.
    5. Should I book this all myself or go to a travel agent and get them to sort us out?
    6. How long should be spent in each park?

Any other advise from previous Disney visitors would really help!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Haven't been there since 2010 so my advice might be dated but I would say:
    Stay on I Drive so you can walk to all the restaurants in the evening and not worry about having a drink
    Most hotel rooms are the same over there and you'll only be sleeping in them (you'll be so busy) so go for a good location rather than a high rating. We stayed in The Enclave Suites a couple of times - a bit dated but great location.
    Get a flex ticket - you can theme park in the morning, come out for lunch and then waterpark in the afternoon. Car park fee is transferable.
    Be at the theme park at opening time. Go straight to the back and work your way forwards, you'll meet less queues.
    Car is essential for getting around, don't forget your licence.
    Universal Studios is King!!

I'd echo stay on I drive. I stayed in the Roseyln Inn International rooms were basic but great location and they offered shuttle buses to and from the park.

Book it yourself you can buy park tickets cheaper online if you shop around (check out attractiontickets direct). Flights and hotels will be easy to book too and you can shop around.

And I also agree with the above poster Universal is king ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭fabvinny

get a car! so much more freedom with your own transport.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Are you going over next year? So jealous, 2017 is set to be a great year to visit!

Yup June 2017. Fingers crossed Volcano Bay is open by then 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

What's the significance of getting a wand for Harry Potter in Universal?
    I was there with the family in 2012 and it never came up...

BraveDonut wrote: »

You can buy interactive wands there which you can use to "cast spells" throughout parts of the Harry Potter part of the parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

BraveDonut wrote: »

You can wave it at points around the park and "magic" happens. If you are getting one just make sure you get one that can actually do magic (visit Ollivander's of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Looking likely I'll be visiting Alton Towers in August for a couple of days. Just a short trip. We'll be staying close by in a budget hotel (no issues there).

If anyone has any tips for family stuff (as opposed to the big thrill rides), fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

Has any one transferred from Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris to Disneyland via the TGV. I heard it is very quick only 10-12 minutes but have been unable to book this on the SNCF web site for any date. Is it still available?
    Planning to be in Paris in July so need to book as trains will be very busy.
    If the TGV is not available what is the best way to get from CDG to Disneyland area. (Not staying in Disney hotel)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Did it the other way, its fine.

The tvg station in cdg is in T2, so you need to get there if arriving in T1, and even in parts of T2. There's a free Monorail in the airport.

You can only book so far ahead on tgv, so probably can't book for July yet.
    We didn't bother going to our seats, just stood in the luggage area for the transfer.

Think there's bus transfers available too, they might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Any recommendations for booking Disney Paris - cheaper to book myself by booking flights and hotel separately? Or are any particular agents cheap?

At the minute Abbey Travel have an offer from November to March for €752 for two adults and two kids under 7 to stay in the Hotel Sequiola for 4 nights/five days. That includes park tickets.

Flights on top should bring it up to around a grand.

We were thinking it'd be nice to go round Xmas but then it could be freezing so we're thinking now about March.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Are these parks a worthwhile add on, we have 4 days for universal and will already have access to the disney parks/water-parks which we enjoyed the last time. Should we bother with these? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

sweetie wrote: »
    Are these parks a worthwhile add on, we have 4 days for universal and will already have access to the disney parks/water-parks which we enjoyed the last time. Should we bother with these? thanks

Haven't been to wet & wild, have been to aquatica a couple of times, it's a nice clean waterpark worth a visit IMO, some people have issues with SeaWorld & keeping animals in captivity, they have a handful of very good coasters, whale & dolphin shows etc, we enjoy these two parks

Advertisement