Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Forget about the kids!!

I want to go and I'm 34 (I was gutted when I had to stop playing with lego).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Forget about the kids!!

I want to go and I'm 34 (I was gutted when I had to stop playing with lego).

You're never too old for Lego!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Perfect age! You know you can get tickets from tesco club card? Much cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Kids 12 and 7 going this year.
    Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Perfect age! You know you can get tickets from tesco club card? Much cheaper!

I did not know that - Thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Can I come? I'm only 37 but a big boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

galljga1 wrote: »
    Kids 12 and 7 going this year.
    Any tips?

go by car if you can. buses are a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

8 & 11 are perfect .... a really enjoyable day out for all:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Look out for the Kellogs boxes that have free adult tickets.

http://grownupsgofree.kelloggs.ie/

I went last year with an almost 4 year old and we had a great time but there were lots of rides that he wasn't yet big enough to go on. We combined it with a trip to a good friend who lives in Oxford and just drove up from there for the day. It was outside school term and we didn't have to queue for anything. I hear it gets a bit mad during the English school holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

We went there Easter last year - our son was 8 perfect age. Expect long queues though - one hour plus per ride. We'd planned going paddys weekend but didn't work out. Would expect it would be quiter then.

In terms of getting there, if you're using the train and arriving in Windsor train station a cab works out about a tenner from memory. There's a private bus service (no public transport to Lego land which is about 2 miles outside Windsor itself) back from Lego land which is reasonable and regular at closing time.

Seemed to be plenty of parking there of hive for a car - not sure if they charge for that.

We booked in advance and got some special deal - can't remember which one - but it saved is quite a lot, one adilt free afaik.

It really is a great day out - try to get here early as between queueing and the vastness of the place you'll quickly use up your time. Food and drink in there is expensive - we brought a picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    We went there Easter last year - our son was 8 perfect age. Expect long queues though - one hour plus per ride. We'd planned going paddys weekend but didn't work out. Would expect it would be quiter then.

A tip I've read to help avoid queues is to go in first thing in the morning, walk straight to the furthest end of the park and then work your way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

iguana wrote: »
    A tip I've read to help avoid queues is to go in first thing in the morning, walk straight to the furthest end of the park and then work your way back.

Yeah worked for us - we got there about 9.30am. The tickets we had also allowed express access without queuing -can't remember how / where we got them, will post details back if I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We went with smallies( 3 and 5 ) last year... great place.. we went for 2 days on a bank holiday weekend last year.. the bank holiday monday was mental busy -ride ques were unreal till after 4 o clock .. the next day (tuesday ) was school term in the uk so park was empty.. pick any ride you like , go on it twice ,3 times what ever..
    We got the buzz of the crowd, enjoyed the park + displays on first day,and enjoyed the rides on day two..
    We stayed in lego land hotel and got the second day free ...
    We drove over but..
    If I was doing it again I think i'd fly to heathrow early and go straight to the park and fly back in the evening ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

Kinda hope we get more theme parks popping here in ireland tbh. Tayto park is great but it be nice to have more variety, they're other smaller ones but really are just mickey mouse. I mean would love it if proper disney or six flags opened up here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Kinda hope we get more theme parks popping here in ireland tbh. Tayto park is great but it be nice to have more variety, they're other smaller ones but really are just mickey mouse. I mean would love it if proper disney or six flags opened up here.
    There really isn't a market here big enough to get a Disney or Six Flags. The haven't got a look in by them and they have a far larger population to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

Loughc wrote: »
    There really isn't a market here big enough to get a Disney or Six Flags. The haven't got a look in by them and they have a far larger population to pick from.

Okay then maybe not a that size but something along the lines of Oakwood or Tayto park across the country. Be nice have a bit more competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Hi folks, my son wants to buy a number of items in Legoland Windsor. How do the prices compare to Smyths? I would assume they are dearer in LW as they have a captive audience but is there much of a difference? All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TashKP

I am currently looking at booking a holiday in Paris. We're waiting on our apartment host to give us the OK. In the meantime I was wondering the best way to get from St. Georges to Disneyland Paris. We only want to go for the day but I cant seem to work out how close the nearest RER A train is to St. Georges or if that is even the right train/metro to get. Any help??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

First thing, download the RATP app for your smart phone. Most features can be used offline and it's invaluable and includes maps and various ways of getting around from metro, RER and buses etc and a combination thereof together to get ya where you want.

You original post isn't too clear but I presume by referencing St Georges you are referring to the Saint Georges Metro station... If so there are a few ways of getting there really..

Best maybe would be to take line 12 from the above station in the southerly direction (Mairie D'Issy) and get off at St. Lazare, transfer by foot via tunnel to Hausmann St. Lazare RER station and in turn from there again to the nearby Auber station via foot also. At Auber take RER line A to Marne-La Valee- Chessy which is the stop for Disney. Other ways have more metro changes and similar distances on foot across some of the bigger stations ie. Charles DE Gaulle Etoille via Pigalle..

Also not every RER A stops at Disney usually every second one so check the departures board at the platform to confirm stops..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

I am hoping to bring my daughter to Legoland Windsor this summer.

I have looked at the recommended hotels on the legoland website and am currently considering the Beaumont Estate and the Copthorne.

Has anyone ever stayed in either of these two hotels or any other recommendations for hotels nearby?

Public transport seems to be a problem too. Windsor is 12-15 miles from Heathrow Airport yet the only way to get there by public transport seems to be a 3 hour train journey :confused: or £25 in a taxi. A taxi is also required to get from the hotel to legoland at around £10 each way. Is the best option to rent a car?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Hey peeps

Is www.attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk the best place to purchase DisneyLand Paris tickets?

2 adults, 2 kids for 3 days ? prices are steep, but seems to be the best place?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We got them at attractionticketsdirect.ie. Same group by the looks of it. At the time it was the best value I could find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Cheers mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

might be worth mentioning that not far from disneyland paris is another park with phenomenal rides and great shows called Parc Asterix.

It is much cheaper, brilliant fun, and there is a hotel on site also which is great value.

It's obviously all themed on the adventures of Asterix and Obelix, so might be worth investing in a few comic books if you ever decided to go but it's worth taking a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

Heading to Disneyland Paris in August. Just wondering where to buy Park tickets online?

Tia.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

scarbouro wrote: »
    Heading to Disneyland Paris in August. Just wondering where to buy Park tickets online?

Tia.

attractionticketsdirect.ie is a good site for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Tia.

Are you going for the day or staying nearby and going for a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Tia.

If you stay in a Disney hotel they should be included in your package

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sharkey1992

Hi Guys,

Myself and my girlfriend are travelling to Orlando mid September this year, gonna be there for 9 days/10 nights.
    Just had a few questions that hopefully someone could help with??
    - What is best practise with regards park tickets, planning 3 days in Disneyworld and 3 in Universal, buy before we go or after we land?
    - Are the fast pass tickets worth the money?
    - Any suggestions for how best to spend a few days outside the parks?? (Possibly rent a car for several days if need be)
    (2 Adults travelling with no kids)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Hi Guys,

Myself and my girlfriend are travelling to Orlando mid September this year, gonna be there for 9 days/10 nights.
    Just had a few questions that hopefully someone could help with??
    - What is best practise with regards park tickets, planning 3 days in Disneyworld and 3 in Universal, buy before we go or after we land?
    - Are the fast pass tickets worth the money?
    - Any suggestions for how best to spend a few days outside the parks?? (Possibly rent a car for several days if need be)
    (2 Adults travelling with no kids)

Buy your tickets here before you go, I photocopy the back of them or take a picture with your phone, just in case I lose them, undercover tourist or attraction tickets direct are reputable agents

Disney fastpass is free, you will have to set up a my Disney experience account to use them, Universal's express pass is an extra but September is considered one of the slower months, see what the situation is when at the Universal parks and decide then, if you book a one night stay at a deluxe Universal hotel, you will get two days unlimited express pass included, maybe worth considering

Head to Tampa and visit Busch Gardens, spend some time on the gulf coast?

Advertisement