Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Silver Cross Surf Pram and Pushchair

Options
  • 26-05-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm not sure if a stickied thread on this already exists, I tried to find one but didn't see it. Mods please feel free to merge this thread if one does and I'm just not looking hard enough!:)

I have fallen for this particular pram/pushchair combo for my baby and would appreciate the advice and/or experience of anyone here who has also purchased it.
    http://silvercross.ie/p/97/surf-pram-pushchair-free-car-seat-699

I like it in the blue colour but the details and spec come up against the pink/raspberry coloured one.

I showed it to my sister who has 3 kids and she thought it would do just fine. The only thing she said she wouldn't like about it is the handle goes straight across and she preferred one with a break in the middle (or two handles). Other than that the weight of it was grand, the folding of the buggy was grand, the basket area underneath it plenty big too for bits and bobs.
    If there is anything major that I'm missing out on then please do tell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I'm not a mammy just yet so I'm sure someone will be along soon with better advice, but just re. the handle - a lot of my friends advised making sure I got a buggy with a single bar rather than split handles as it means you can manage the buggy single-handed e.g. If you need to answer your phone when you're out. It's probably not a big deal either way.

We looked at that pram and OH was very taken with it, one of my friends got it (but again, won't be using it for another few weeks) so I can't give feedback just yet. But I would say it's a good buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I love the look of it so much my two daughters have the doll pram version ;)

I couldn't afford the real sized one though :p

Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

January wrote: »
    I love the look of it so much my two daughters have the doll pram version ;)

I couldn't afford the real sized one though :p

Looks good.

Thanks for the feedback. My mam had the old fashioned massive one for all of us - granted she got it from her older sister who had raised all of her kids in it and then it did the 6 of us. They've become super trendy again with lots of celebs using them. They are a bit big for anyone who doesn't have a Range Rover and staff to carry it in and out of their car I think!

They are expensive enough (although still cheaper than others, I almost died when I saw how costly the Bugaboo ones were:eek:) and really only being considered because my parents said they'd give some of the money towards it as the baby present instead of clothes.
    A woman at work was selling a navy and cream Silver Cross version of the blue one I like for €150. I'm going to see if its still for sale and what condition its in. If its reasonable the I think it would be a steal at €150.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I much prefer the bar to 2 handles,it is way easier to manage.

Does it fold easily?
    Does it fit in your boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Good idea for a thread. That's a lovely buggy, although out of our budget! Check out if it folds down easily and all that stuff before you buy though! It's lovely :)

I've decided on baby elegance beep twist, I'm so short that some buggies are too high and awkward for me. But the beep twist felt comfy enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi All,

I'm not sure if a stickied thread on this already exists, I tried to find one but didn't see it. Mods please feel free to merge this thread if one does and I'm just not looking hard enough!:)

I have fallen for this particular pram/pushchair combo for my baby and would appreciate the advice and/or experience of anyone here who has also purchased it.

I like it in the blue colour but the details and spec come up against the pink/raspberry coloured one.

I showed it to my sister who has 3 kids and she thought it would do just fine. The only thing she said she wouldn't like about it is the handle goes straight across and she preferred one with a break in the middle (or two handles). Other than that the weight of it was grand, the folding of the buggy was grand, the basket area underneath it plenty big too for bits and bobs.
    If there is anything major that I'm missing out on then please do tell.

I have a funny feeling that it is a bit awkward to get in and out of spaces, could be wrong though. I have a bugaboo cameleon, worth every penny, a dream to push and fits into my small boot no probs

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I much prefer the bar to 2 handles,it is way easier to manage.

Does it fold easily?
    Does it fit in your boot?
    I have to change my car. I have a Mini Cooper and I will be able to fit either the baby or the buggy into it but never both at the same time. I think that could be a bit of a problem ;-) I'm looking at the Hyundai i40 and the boots in those cars is enormous.
    Isolt wrote: »
    Good idea for a thread. That's a lovely buggy, although out of our budget! Check out if it folds down easily and all that stuff before you buy though! It's lovely :)

I've decided on baby elegance beep twist, I'm so short that some buggies are too high and awkward for me. But the beep twist felt comfy enough :)

I'm quite tall and so is my husband, the handle on the SilverCross comes up,quite high when you adjust it which I like.
    Millem wrote: »
    I have a funny feeling that it is a bit awkward to get in and out of spaces, could be wrong though. I have a bugaboo cameleon, worth every penny, a dream to push and fits into my small boot no probs

Have you tried it out in real life? I only ask because I've had a test drive in the shop and it seems fine there but if there are real life problems with it then I'd like to know about them all before hand.
    I've had a test drive of there Bugaboos too and they seem great but the one is liked came to €1300 which is twice the price of the SilverCross and I couldn't really justify spending that on a buggy.

I have to change my car. I have a Mini Cooper and I will be able to fit either the baby or the buggy into it but never both at the same time. I think that could be a bit of a problem ;-) I'm looking at the Hyundai i40 and the boots in those cars is enormous.

I'm quite tall and so is my husband, the handle on the SilverCross comes up,quite high when you adjust it which I like.

Have you tried it out in real life? I only ask because I've had a test drive in the shop and it seems fine there but if there are real life problems with it then I'd like to know about them all before hand.
    I've had a test drive of there Bugaboos too and they seem great but the one is liked came to €1300 which is twice the price of the SilverCross and I couldn't really justify spending that on a buggy.

I actually really liked that silvercross and the other one being with a w is it wayfarer and the quinny buzz. My neighbour had the buzz and told me the back wheels are so awkward that you will find it awkward on some shops, then when I was preggers and out in a restaurant I remember seeing a girl with the surf and really struggling manoeuvring it that the waiter had to move tables and chairs! I love the bugaboo as it is actually narrow but long! My baby still fits in the pram and he is in 9-12 month clothes but only 4 months! At his size now he wouldn't fit in the beep or the buzz. I know travel systems are mad money but I honestly think that the bugaboo is worth it. Now I love a bargain but I would still pay it. There are other things you can scrimp on and deals to be had. I thought buggies were are the same before I had the baby but honestly they are not! I have a vw polo and the bugaboo fits in the boot in pram mode no prob and I can fit my shopping around it!
    How much is the package?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'd try to get a second hand bugaboo over the Silver Cross Surf. The bugaboo is so easy to push and maintain.

I actually really liked that silvercross and the other one being with a w is it wayfarer and the quinny buzz. My neighbour had the buzz and told me the back wheels are so awkward that you will find it awkward on some shops, then when I was preggers and out in a restaurant I remember seeing a girl with the surf and really struggling manoeuvring it that the waiter had to move tables and chairs! I love the bugaboo as it is actually narrow but long! My baby still fits in the pram and he is in 9-12 month clothes but only 4 months! At his size now he wouldn't fit in the beep or the buzz. I know travel systems are mad money but I honestly think that the bugaboo is worth it. Now I love a bargain but I would still pay it. There are other things you can scrimp on and deals to be had. I thought buggies were are the same before I had the baby but honestly they are not! I have a vw polo and the bugaboo fits in the boot in pram mode no prob and I can fit my shopping around it!
    How much is the package?
    Thanks for that update. I'll certainly keep it in mind. Your really don't want your heart to be broken with a buggy that is a pain in the ass to use every day!
    For the carry cot, buggy and car seat with base it comes to approx €670. That's based on what I priced in MotherCare the other day.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    I'd try to get a second hand bugaboo over the Silver Cross Surf. The bugaboo is so easy to push and maintain.

And holds it's value! Penny tony kealy has the package for €1199 and he is great to deal with! Sometimes he sells off ex displays (they are in perfect condition and have never left the shop or had a baby in!) he had the fab "my first car" viktor and Rolf ex display when I was buying mine, you got everything in box only pram is ex display you pick car seat , etc. But my OH wouldnt let me get it :( as it was more expensive than normal bugaboo! (Even though I told him Amy and BOD had it, he was having none of it!!!! Lol lol) when I was picking up my bugaboo he had a normal bugaboo I think the package was around €1000 with a pink hood.

The aftercare is great in Kealys too.

The aftercare is great in Kealys too.

O gosh yes! They actually came to my house as I put the car seat adapters on the wrong way lol and I can't deal with the walkinstown roundabout!!!! Now that is what I call great customer care!

Thanks for that update. I'll certainly keep it in mind. Your really don't want your heart to be broken with a buggy that is a pain in the ass to use every day!
    For the carry cot, buggy and car seat with base it comes to approx €670. That's based on what I priced in MotherCare the other day.

You might get 10% off that at their special night once a month? You get the footmuff (which is a good €100) too in tony kealys for €1199. I would make savings elsewhere, eg can buy a cotbed for €100 and pocket sprung mattress for €50. You could skip the Moses basket stage altogether, I personally think those maize Moses baskets you buy these days are not up to much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm not a mammy just yet so I'm sure someone will be along soon with better advice, but just re. the handle - a lot of my friends advised making sure I got a buggy with a single bar rather than split handles as it means you can manage the buggy single-handed e.g. If you need to answer your phone when you're out. It's probably not a big deal either way.

Exactly what I was going to say! I've an Uppababy Vista which has the single bar, it is SO handy when I'm going around the shops and can wheel the buggy with one hand while holding a shopping basket in the other. I'm really not sure how I'd manage otherwise. It wasn't even something that occurred to me when choosing the buggy, but now that I've got one, I definitely would advise strongly against the separate handles.

We had a look at that SilverCross, and really liked it. Seemed very easy to manoeuver and fold etc. Make sure you try it out in the shop, and practice putting it up and down a few times. (Also, whatever buggy you buy, make sure to practice all this again close to the baby's due date - we'd completely forgotten how ours worked! :o ) The fact that the buggy can face forward or rearward is great, and also that the buggy part is suitable from birth (carrycot might not be suitable if baby has reflux etc.) Check out what sort of tyres are on it, you really don't want ones that can be punctured and might need to be repaired or pumped!

Have a look at the size of the basket in comparison to other buggies in the shop, and also consider the accessibility of the basket when you have the carrycot attachment. Considering that you'll probably be bringing a decent-sized changing bag around with you everywhere once the baby arrives! Plus raincover etc. Our buggy has a massive basket, great for changing bag and a couple of bags of shopping, however we could barely access it when we were using the carrycot.

Also I've never heard of a Simplicity carseat? Maybe that's just me! You might just want to do some research to compare it to the "bigger" brands. I wonder is the travel system compatible with MaxiCosi etc?

Some travel systems can be converted into doubles or even triples for future kids - does this one? (If this is something that matters to you!)

Make sure to test how the brake works. If it's one that you have to tap up from underneath with the top of your foot to release it, it's not ideal (say if you were wearing flipflops ... or anyways, it's going to get dirty, you don't want to ruin your shoes every time you use it!) With mine you tap it from the top whether you're engaging or releasing it. A very random little thing you mightn't think of!

When it folds, does it stand upright, or does it lie flat? If you ever use public transport, I think one that can stand upright is good. Oh and also, with some buggies you need to actually remove the seat part to fold it, you might want to check that as I think that would get annoying after a while! Much better if it folds all in one.

Just some things I'd probably consider now, but wouldn't have even thought of when I was buying! Thankfully we're very happy with our buggy anyways. :)

I'd be all for going second-hand with most baby-related stuff, but I think I'd rather pay full-price for a cheaper travel system than buy a secondhand "high end" one.

My reasoning would be that:
    - Chances are, you're buying one with 2-3 years (or more) of regular use, and you want to get another 2-3 years of use out of it again (and possibly/probably same again for your future babies.) The more years on it, the greater the wear and tear.
    - If it's your first baby, and you know nothing about buggies, when you go to view it you mightn't pick up on any problems or flaws with it. Actually even if it's not your first baby, it can be hard to identify stuff like that until you're using it regularly. And it's too late then!
    - You have no comeback if any problems arise. To me it was important to buy from a reputable retailer so that I could go back to the shop with any problems or questions that might arise. (Like for example, as above, Millem's problem with the adaptors!) Some shops will even give you a replacement buggy while they're fixing yours. If something went wrong with a secondhand buggy shortly after the baby arrived, I don't even know where you'd go to see about sorting it out ... and you really don't want to end up housebound!

I'd be all for going second-hand with most baby-related stuff, but I think I'd rather pay full-price for a cheaper travel system than buy a secondhand "high end" one.

My reasoning would be that:
    - Chances are, you're buying one with 2-3 years (or more) of regular use, and you want to get another 2-3 years of use out of it again (and possibly/probably same again for your future babies.) The more years on it, the greater the wear and tear.
    - If it's your first baby, and you know nothing about buggies, when you go to view it you mightn't pick up on any problems or flaws with it. Actually even if it's not your first baby, it can be hard to identify stuff like that until you're using it regularly. And it's too late then!
    - You have no comeback if any problems arise. To me it was important to buy from a reputable retailer so that I could go back to the shop with any problems or questions that might arise. (Like for example, as above, Millem's problem with the adaptors!) Some shops will even give you a replacement buggy while they're fixing yours. If something went wrong with a secondhand buggy shortly after the baby arrived, I don't even know where you'd go to see about sorting it out ... and you really don't want to end up housebound!

My friend had the same problem with her adapters it was with a city select but fixed it herself, it happen to me maybe 7/8 days after he was born I just didn't have the strength to get them off!! It is a maxi cosi problem, the adapters are labelled L and R, L means the baby's left (your right) and R means baby's right (your left)! Needless to say I have never made that mistake again! I have a besafe izi go seat but it uses the maxi cosi adapters! Clothes are another thing you can go cheap on, they grow so quick!

Most people selling on chameleons are getting a double so they've usually been used pretty lightly. I've often seen them for sale only a year or less old. I know someone who's gotten five years near constant use out of one bought second hand.
    I wouldn't worry about converting to a double. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

Most people selling on chameleons are getting a double so they've usually been used pretty lightly. I've often seen them for sale only a year or less old. I know someone who's gotten five years near constant use out of one bought second hand.
    I wouldn't worry about converting to a double. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

I would agree about it converting! Even if the time comes you mightn't want a tandem one. In fact I hate seeing kiddies in those rumble type seats (Phil and teds or vista) I always think they are so close to the ground! I see a lot of side by side doubles like the nipper out n about double or the city mini double, and they seem lighter and easier to manoeuvre. If you do have a biggish gap a buggy board might suffice! One of our friends imported her bugaboo (I think it was frog) 10 years ago and he did 3 kids and then she sold everything for €400!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Check out what sort of tyres are on it, you really don't want ones that can be punctured and might need to be repaired or pumped!

This! I'm thinking of getting a Quinny Buzz Xtra and all 3 wheels are pumpy ones. I love the all-terrain aspect as I do walk a lot but the fear of getting punctures!! It's the only thing that's making me nervous about the Quinny (as well as the price too but our families are really kindly giving us money towards a travel system as a baby gift).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

My friend had the same problem with her adapters it was with a city select but fixed it herself, it happen to me maybe 7/8 days after he was born I just didn't have the strength to get them off!! It is a maxi cosi problem, the adapters are labelled L and R, L means the baby's left (your right) and R means baby's right (your left)! Needless to say I have never made that mistake again! I have a besafe izi go seat but it uses the maxi cosi adapters! Clothes are another thing you can go cheap on, they grow so quick!

Oh had same problem here with the adaptors, it made me smile when I was
    reading this, even though I wasn't smiling at the time, had to put baby back in the car and give up on the shopping trip, left or right, his left my right, OMG I was in such a fluster, can't help with the silvercross v's bugaboo though, i bought a mamas and papas sola pushchair, used the adaptors with a maxi cosi cabriofix, didn't bother with a carry cot, the recline on pushchair was great for out and about, had great intentions of being out and about all the time but it was at least 2 months before I went out with him on my own, I was terrified something would happen him, oh those early days, anyway still using the sola, was thinking of getting a maclaren buggy, just because it folds neatly and I drive a golf so have little boot space as it is, but after reading about single bar v's double bar that has given me something to think about, good luck choosing penny, i found it easier buying a car than a travel system.

Rose35 wrote: »
    Oh had same problem here with the adaptors, it made me smile when I was
    reading this, even though I wasn't smiling at the time, had to put baby back in the car and give up on the shopping trip, left or right, his left my right, OMG I was in such a fluster, can't help with the silvercross v's bugaboo though, i bought a mamas and papas sola pushchair, used the adaptors with a maxi cosi cabriofix, didn't bother with a carry cot, the recline on pushchair was great for out and about, had great intentions of being out and about all the time but it was at least 2 months before I went out with him on my own, I was terrified something would happen him, oh those early days, anyway still using the sola, was thinking of getting a maclaren buggy, just because it folds neatly and I drive a golf so have little boot space as it is, but after reading about single bar v's double bar that has given me something to think about, good luck choosing penny, i found it easier buying a car than a travel system.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. :)It certainly does seem to be fraught with potential pitfalls!
    I'm happy with the single bar anyway so thats that locked down at least. The rest of the buggy stuff just has to be decided on now:D

My friend who is due her first baby in Augut bought the M&P Sola too.

The wheels on the SilverCross one I like are anti puncture so thats a good thing too.
    I'm anti 3 wheeler buggys - no particular reason other than I just don't like the way they move in comparison to the 4 wheeled ones.
    The tip about the engaging and disengaging the brakes was a good one and not something I'd have thought of.
    I'm off on holidays at the end of the week and when we get back I'll start looking at the baby stuff properly then and have my list of things to look out for on the buggy front properly sorted out then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

I have the SilverCross 3D Pram System and I couldn't be happier with it. It has stood the test of 2 babies (Aged almost 4 and 2 1/2) and is still like new and in use. (There is a little ledge for older child to stand on when little legs get tired)

They didn't have a base for the car seat when I purchased almost 4 years ago but I believe they have one now for the car seat.

IF I could give any advice I would strongly recommend an umbrella fold pram like the 3D!!! (I know everyone has their own views)

When I was in buggy shops I couldn't believe how many parts had to come off some pushchairs to get the thing folded. What are you meant to do with the seat while you fold the frame to put it the boot... if one more sales assistant told me the floor ... yeah I'll put it on the floor, sure it's not raining, it is Ireland after all!!! Maybe I'm too careful but spending alot of money and planning more than one babba... I wanted to keep my expensive purchase in as good a condition as I could not just rub it off the ground everytime I go out!!!

The only possible downside to the 3D is that it's not rear ward facing once baby is sitting up... that to me was not a down side. Your baby gets to see the world :)

When I was in buggy shops I couldn't believe how many parts had to come off some pushchairs to get the thing folded. What are you meant to do with the seat while you fold the frame to put it the boot... if one more sales assistant told me the floor ... yeah I'll put it on the floor, sure it's not raining, it is Ireland after all!!! Maybe I'm too careful but spending alot of money and planning more than one babba... I wanted to keep my expensive purchase in as good a condition as I could not just rub it off the ground everytime I go out!!!

Not to mention where you put the baby! A lot of the time if you're on your own you'll be holding baby in one arm while folding buggy with the other, while also trying to manage changing bag and shopping bags and whatever else. Definitely folding easily and without removing any parts would be a major factor for me.

Not to mention where you put the baby! A lot of the time if you're on your own you'll be holding baby in one arm while folding buggy with the other, while also trying to manage changing bag and shopping bags and whatever else. Definitely folding easily and without removing any parts would be a major factor for me.

I put the baby in car seat in car, then put pram in boot and then chassis on top of it! :) I leave car seat in car at all times (with the adapters already attached!! Lol)

I put the baby in car seat in car, then put pram in boot and then chassis on top of it! :) I leave car seat in car at all times (with the adapters already attached!! Lol)

I'm confused by which bit is the pram and which bit is the chassis. :o Sorry that's just me being thick! Which bit is the wheels and which bit is the buggy? (Or carrycot?)

Why do you use the adapters at all if the car seat is always in the car?

I'm confused by which bit is the pram and which bit is the chassis. :o Sorry that's just me being thick! Which bit is the wheels and which bit is the buggy? (Or carrycot?)

Why do you use the adapters at all if the car seat is always in the car?

Pram is carrycot, chassis are the wheels! I am a bit OTT about leaving him in car seat for too long tbh so I always have him in the pram, you know yourself an hour lunch out could turn into two hours or a trip to Dundrum! I leave the car seat in the car with adapters because if I am just nipping in somewhere I will just stick the carseat onto the chassis! I leave the adapters because at weekends we transfer isofix and car seat to our other car so its just handier to keep it all together!

Wow I can't believe he still fits in the carrycot! Our boy is out of it a long time now, and he's not a big boy at all ... the carrycot on yours must be a lot more spacious!

Wow I can't believe he still fits in the carrycot! Our boy is out of it a long time now, and he's not a big boy at all ... the carrycot on yours must be a lot more spacious!

This is one of the major pluses of the cameleon! The carrycot is so long! My baby is the 95th percentile for height for his age so very tall, wears 9-12 clothes and there is still a good 15cm from his head to the top!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

I am a bit OTT about leaving him in car seat for too long tbh so I always have him in the pram

I agree totally... I always found they got so over heated in the car seat and cross as they can't have a good stretch out buckled up in a car seat!!!

Advertisement