Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazing public reaction experiment - you have to watch this

Options
  • 25-05-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭

Just watch. The difference in reactions is eye-opening.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I agree with what the film maker is saying but it's hardly experimental data.

It's too heavily edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

In any event a woman being hostile and violent to a man will usually not end up with as severe a consequence [with exceptions obviously] but a man even just restraining a woman can leave massive bruises and soreness for weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Red Nissan wrote: »
    In any event a woman being hostile and violent to a man will usually not end up with as severe a consequence [with exceptions obviously] but a man even just restraining a woman can leave massive bruises and soreness for weeks.
    Do you think the people stepping in did so because the woman might have been bruised for a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If a jack Russell has aggressive behaviour nothing is done about it...
    If a Rottweiler has aggressive behaviour, it's put to sleep

Red Nissan wrote: »

That's entirely beside the point. I know a guy who's baby momma used to beat him over the head with a buckfast bottle.

Severity of violence is mostly about intent.

• Advertisement

Do you think the people stepping in did so because the woman might have been bruised for a few weeks?

Absolutely not, they stepped in because women are perceived as having certain rights that men don't.

CrinkElite wrote: »
    Severity of violence is mostly about intent.

We are in the pathological element at this stage, this is medication and a visit or two to the FG ward. We have transgressed male v female v male in a normal relationship and we enter the realm of mental illness ~ not normally associated with bust ups and occasional loss of temper violence in a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm just surprised that white knights didn't get involved during the second incident. I have seen arguments where the woman was clearly the aggressor yet idiots still got involved, telling the man to "leave the girl alone".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What I found quite disgusting was all the shots of people who appeared to be "enjoying the show" when it was the woman being aggressive. Mostly all women too ...

Granted it's quite heavily edited so could be out of context that those shots were captured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

When you see a man getting hit by a women you generally think what did he do. But if a women is getting hit by a man. You generally think poor women. I have seen men getting punched by women in front of garda and them just staring and doing nothing.

Violence between a man and a women is only considered violence if the women is getting hit. Even in the video everyone laughs at the man getting hit( although I'm guessing the video is staged as not a single person doesn't have their face blurred)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Obviously it's been edited - no one would watch this clip if it was 6-7 mins long for each scenario, and multiple cameras were used, so the only 'unedited' version would be to watch every single camera's uninterrupted recording, one-by-one for each scenario.

As the person above me mentioned, however, editing can't disguise that a. people only intervened in one scenario (which became more extreme because of the lack of intervention) and b. only the female-on-male scenario elicited smiles from both sexes, "enjoying the show" as one poster put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Regarding the editing, here's a video where 160-odd people see a woman being violent to a man and there's only one intervention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I'm just surprised that white knights didn't get involved during the second incident. I have seen arguments where the woman was clearly the aggressor yet idiots still got involved, telling the man to "leave the girl alone".

I've posted this before,the problem with white knights is they basically enable this behaviour,watch as the female aggressor slinks off into the background after causing a s*it storm were the victim is beaten and has himself and his family insulted.the victim sued the TV show and won after this as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

omg that is horrific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Lemming wrote: »
    What I found quite disgusting was all the shots of people who appeared to be "enjoying the show" when it was the woman being aggressive. Mostly all women too ...

Yes. Says it all doesn't it.

Rossin wrote: »
    omg that is horrific

Holy ****! I thought that was just gonna be sexy.

I don't think Indian T.V. is relevant. While I respect their achievements, I don't think they should even colour the debate on gender equality in a western world frame of reference.
    They're just too far off the scale when it comes to human rights.

It was sexy at the start though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The reaction of the crowd was awful but he really shouldn't have slapped her back - he seemed to smack her really hard - a lot harder than he's been slapped.
    He should have just walked after the slap and then sued the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

The reaction of the crowd was awful but he really shouldn't have slapped her back - he seemed to smack her really hard - a lot harder than he's been slapped.

True it would of been the more intelligent thing to do however after being ridiculed and humiliated and then finally physically assaulted I would not blame anyone for instinctively striking back in the heat of the moment. Fear, adrenaline and then pain really kicks the body into instinct, fight or flight.

Hindisght is great but in the heat of the moment human beings are still animals with instinctive responses, it does not condone physical violence but it is understandable unlike her initial attack on him.

Maguined wrote: »

Hindisght is great but in the heat of the moment human beings are still animals with instinctive responses, it does not condone physical violence but it is understandable unlike her initial attack on him.

Well that's the thing.

No idea what kind of show it was, but did it have a set format where 2 guys come out and are ridiculed and slapped around by a dominatirx type woman every week?
    In which case I presume he knew what he was signing up for.

Well that's the thing.

No idea what kind of show it was, but did it have a set format where 2 guys come out and are ridiculed and slapped around by a dominatirx type woman every week?
    In which case I presume he knew what he was signing up for.

According to the Wikipedia entry for the incident.
    In Dadagiri: Beat the Bullies, the bully "Esha, the Goddess" used to put up her challenge at the last and used to humiliate the contestants most (even asked the contestants once in an episode to rub their noses on her boots). In one episode, she slapped a contestant Ravi Bhatia (an unscripted physical attack), after instigating a brief, antagonistic verbal exchange. In response he slapped her, and then kept saying 'How can she slap?". This resulted in the male host (and several other members of the crew) attacking Bhatia, with the crew appearing to be slow in breaking them up. The male host also used offensive and threatening language toward Bhatia. Bhatia subsequently sent a legal notice to the producers, asking for a public apology

So while they knew they were signing up for verbal abuse as part of a TV show it seems physical abuse was never part of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I agree in general but were he to have done that we would have heard no more about it. I think this is a good example of the acceptance of female on male violence along with the 'white knight' notion where a man can be subject to unprovoked assault by multiple people for merely defending himself.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I agree in general but were he to have done that we would have heard no more about it. I think this is a good example of the acceptance of female on male violence along with the 'white knight' notion where a man can be subject to unprovoked assault by multiple people for merely defending himself.

I'm not excusing what happened, but it didn't seem like he was defending himself. He'd been slapped but did he slap her back because he believed he was about to be attacked again or was it more of a 'retribution' slap?

I think it was the latter.

It comes down to what one considers to be an appropriate response to the situation he found himself in and I don't think his actions were at all justified.

Female on male violence should be exposed and condemened when it occurs, but I wouldn't be going to war on the issue over that guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

But who is most at fault there?

I'm not excusing what happened, but it didn't seem like he was defending himself. He'd been slapped but did he slap her back because he believed he was about to be attacked again or was it more of a 'retribution' slap?

I think it was the latter.

It comes down to what one considers to be an appropriate response to the situation he found himself in and I don't think his actions were at all justified.

Female on male violence should be exposed and condemened when it occurs, but I wouldn't be going to war on the issue over that guy.

What level of physical response would you of considered justified? To me this was not a patiently planned reprisal to get even over time but an instinctive emotional reaction in the heat of the moment.

On the same show they pit men versus women teams. If the male host of the show had of slapped a female contestent and she had responded in the same way would you also consider that a retribution slap and feel she acted incorrectly? Or would you just write it off as an emotive heat of the moment reaction to unexpected violence?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    But who is most at fault there?

Her obviously.
    What level of physical response would you of considered justified? ?

I've already stated that no level of physical response was required or justified.

To me this was not a patiently planned reprisal to get even over time but an instinctive emotional reaction in the heat of the moment.

Quite possibly - but it doesn't make it right - many defendants use this excuse - I believe this was the defences' main argument in a recent murder trial.
    On the same show they pit men versus women teams. If the male host of the show had of slapped a female contestent and she had responded in the same way would you also consider that a retribution slap and feel she acted incorrectly? Or would you just write it off as an emotive heat of the moment reaction to unexpected violence?

I'd prefer she reported the incident to the relevant authorities and pressed assault charges/sued the show.

Her obviously.

I've already stated that no level of physical response was required or justified.

Quite possibly - but it doesn't make it right - many defendants use this excuse - I believe this was the defences' main argument in a recent murder trial.

I'd prefer she reported the incident to the relevant authorities and pressed assault charges/sued the show.

You are dealing with this situation in hindsight, ie you have the luxury to know that she would not of continued. At that very moment in time, in the heat of the moment when someone has been physically violent towards you I would never label someone at fault for defending themselves to the same level as the violence that has been shown to them. He did not take out a knife and stab her, he did not produce a gun and shoot her. He did not patiently wait in the car park and run her over with his car, he reacted with the same violence that had been dealt to him.

What you are basially suggesting is that people are not allowed to defend themselves.

What you are basially suggesting is that people are not allowed to defend themselves.

I'm not 'basically suggesting that people are not allowed to defend themselves' - that's what you're saying and attributing to me.

Rather than repeat myself you can read my previous replies where I stated my position on the matter pretty clearly I feel.

If you think that guy is some kind of hero of the mens rights movement, you're entitled to your opinion.

I think he's a bit of an arsehole to be honest.

No level of physical response was required or justified is what you said. So when a man or woman is physically assaulted you believe they should go to the cops and they are not justified in using physical violence to defend themselves.

I do not think the guy is a hero at all, I would like to think that in the same situation I would not respond the same way he did at all but I cant say that for sure as I was not in his situation and any human being who is physically assaulted has the right to physically defend themselves so I will not hold it against them if that is how they instinctively react in such a situation.

No level of physical response was required or justified is what you said.

Correct.
    So when a man or woman is physically assaulted you believe they should go to the cops

Correct
    and they are not justified in using physical violence to defend themselves.

Incorrect.

• Advertisement

So this example of physical violence towards someone is not allowed to be physically defended against but others are? Where do you draw the line then? 2 slaps? 3 slaps?

Advertisement