Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Mouse

Options
  • 22-05-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭

graphics-disney-939339.gif

My old MX 518 is on it's last legs, and i cant seem to find any anywhere, have Logitech stopped making them?

So, What mouse do you use? What would you recommend for gaming?

I'm looking for something with a lot of durability (ie: same as the MX I've had now for the last 4 years)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Good old fashioned Deathadder. As I always say in such threads: "When deathadder dies on me, my next mouse will be deathadder. When that one will die, I will try something new..... nope Deathadder again!"

Its a very simple, but it is just so effective. I had more expensive mouse, which went in to "man drawer", but deathadder just keeps on delivering. there is a reason why Deathadder is still in production and keeps on being updated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

logitech g9x is my mouse of choice. i use it in its completely naked form, it's nice and tiny, but both bodies that come with it can make it a medium or huge form mouse

it's been discontinued afaik but you'd probably still find a couple on amazon or ebay or wherever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Personally I'm loathe to give advice on what mouse to get as everyone's hands/grip are different, but if you really liked the MX518, check out Logitech's G400s - it's the same size and shape but with fancier gubbins inside and out I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I use the Logitech G700, and like it. It works on nearly any surface, which is handy as i'm playing from my couch at the moment.

It's not perfect though, as the mouse wheel isn't great. Middle click can be a bit off, as unless you are dead center, it will scroll up or down instead of opening a new tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Cheers for the replies, that Deathadder sure does look nice for a 70 quid mouse :D
    the discontinued one, i think the mx518 has been discontinued too, shame really as i'd grown really used to it.

the G400s looks identical (bar aesthetics) to the MX 518, same configuration of buttons and ergonomics, might give it a whirl if i can find one for less than 50 quid.

The 700 is wireless apparently, and expensive. Yeah, cheers folks, i'll try find a cheap G400s :) Sound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Have a G400,really like it. Plain looking but very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The 700 is wireless apparently, and expensive. Yeah, cheers folks, i'll try find a cheap G400s :) Sound!

That's the G700S, the G700 is the wired version. I have the G700S and it's a very good mouse IMO. You can use the mouse wired if you want as it charges via USB to the mouse to the computer if battery is low but you can keep it plugged in if you want.

It has a lot of buttons on it to bind to and it's the most responsive wireless mouse on the market at the moment (no lag whatsoever when playing wireless). It is a big mouse with ergonomic grooves so it fits well and is comfortable, made out of good quality material. The only downside (which is of course preference) is that the mouse is heavy. I had a Roccat Kova mouse before, and while a brilliant mouse, it was small compared to standard so felt a bit weird using.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I am using my G700 wirelessly right now - it's both :D The tiny wireless receiver that Logitech has fits in the mouse beside the battery if you're not using it wirelessly. At home it stays plugged in, in the office I just leave the wireless receiver plugged into my pc here and pop it in the bag with my keyboard when it's time to go home (it even has an off switch on the bottom).

It's a great mouse, I'm sure the 700S is just as good. The 4 thumb buttons have really spoiled me though, I dunno if I could do without them in a game now - I typically bind them to Melee /Sprint / Grenade / Comms Rose (BF4) or Perk (Titanfall). I then have another profile where I've reassigned the buttons to keys on the keyboard for some games that don't recognise more than 4 or 5 mouse buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Logitech Anywhere MX here.. works on any surface too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm never buying a fancy gaming mouse again after the rat. I'll be sticking to logitech mice from now on I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Can't give much of a recommendation since I've only had two mice in my entire lifetime, first a Logitech G9, now a G700s :o
    Cravez wrote: »
    The only downside (which is of course preference) is that the mouse is heavy.

I never found it terribly heavy. That said, I put a ton of weights into my old G9...
    Kiith wrote: »
    It's not perfect though, as the mouse wheel isn't great. Middle click can be a bit off, as unless you are dead center, it will scroll up or down instead of opening a new tab.

I agree that the wheel is a bit too sensitive - but it scrolling up and down is a Chrome bug right now that I hear is fixed in Chrome 36, but that's only in Beta channel right now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I agree that the wheel is a bit too sensitive - but it scrolling up and down is a Chrome bug right now that I hear is fixed in Chrome 36, but that's only in Beta channel right now.

Ah, didn't realise that. Would be delighted if they fixed it, as it drives me bloody mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Roccat Kone Pure. I like it but it's not particularly cheap. I was trying to find a good replacement for the MX518 for many years. I've owned several Logitech mice but I've not been totally happy with any of them, G9x and MX stuff.

Razer stuff is horribly overpriced for what you're getting these days, so I'd avoid it.

Cheers for the replies, that Deathadder sure does look nice for a 70 quid mouse :D
    the discontinued one, i think the mx518 has been discontinued too, shame really as i'd grown really used to it.

the G400s looks identical (bar aesthetics) to the MX 518, same configuration of buttons and ergonomics, might give it a whirl if i can find one for less than 50 quid.

Be warned. Logitech have iterated on the basic MX518 design for years and somehow have managed to never make a mouse that's as good as the old optical one. There's always something wrong with each attempt. It's mind boggling really given how wonderfully simple and elegant the MX518 concept was. If you want that *kind* of mouse you're better off going elsewhere.

Your mileage may vary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really like this CM Recon and it's a great price at the moment on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I miss my MX518 so I went for the G500 as it is similar but still not quite the same
    I have heard good things about the Shogun Ballista MK-1 even though it is not a well known name it is priced at a mid level for a top end mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Had a mx518 for around 6/7 years or so. Am using a g400 now and it's pretty much the same as one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Still got my wired MX518 here - Couldn't be seen without it. Comfortable, reliable, simple.

Tend to go for Logitech for everything - Always last well and do a good job, regardless, though I've a stubborn dislike for anything wireless as I never trust it.

Same here, i got a fancy Razer sidewinder years ago that broke in less than a month, (middle mouse button got stuck mechanically, bar broke or something) i got a refund from the store and bought the MX518 instead.

For 30 quid, that mouse lasted me at least 5 or 6 years, that's some serious durable quality considering i used the thing almost every day for hours on end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I have a Logitech G500, good all-round mouse I reckon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Deathadder here aswell.Best mouse Ive ever used.

On a similar note and rather than start a new thread..anyone recommend a new mouse mat?

My old ice mat--one of those hard mats from 2003 has finally started to disintegrate and I need a new one.

Recommendations please!!

• Advertisement

I've got an average sized older Razer Goliathus mat a friend of mine gave me in the office and a very large Steelseries QcK+ at home. The QcK being new means it feels a little better, but I've got zero complaints about the Goliathus. I see they've split that line into "Speed" and "Control" variants, not really sure what those differences might be, but someone else may be able to help there.

Decent thickness, nice size, good surface: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ROCCAT-Mid-Size-Gaming-Mousepad-ROC-13-060/dp/B006P0IS5I/ref=sr_1_12?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1401138007&sr=1-12&keywords=roccat+mouse+pad

There's a cheaper 3mm version (same as QcK) if you prefer that. I can't complain about it, does the job nicely.

I'd steer clear of the Roccat Sense though. I don't know if it's an issue with all ultra thin mats, but at 1.5mm, it's edge started to fray very quickly for me.

Dair. wrote: »
    I'd steer clear of the Roccat Sense though. I don't know if it's an issue with all ultra thin mats, but at 1.5mm, it's edge started to fray very quickly for me.

Yeah, personally I'd avoid 1.5mm fabric mats regardless of who made it for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭prq

Many will swear by the MX518. I got one but found it to be not the best resistant to external elements. I've had a few Trust Predators and those would be my choice, they used to cost €15 or so, but not very easy to find nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Have heard good stuff about Shogun Bros alright. Might be in the market for a new mouse meself - the scroll wheel on my MX518 is acting up these past few days. I'll look up how to disassemble it and see if it needs a clean. If that doesn't do the trick I'll be buying something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Logitech g700

As for a mouse dying what is that? Logitech does 3 year warranties typically

I just got sent a G602 to try out. It's comfortable but very different feeling from my G700. I'll be doing a more in depth write up on it at the weekend I'd say when I've had the time to put it through its paces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To underpin how good the Logitech support/warranty has been to me, I originally bought the G930 headset when I built my computer back in 2009 I believe. 18 months in the microphone boom snapped off, they issued me a refund cheque and let me go buy another in-store so I had no turnaround from shipping. And actually since I started working at that shop in 2011 I got the headphones a bit cheaper.

Fastforward to today, near the end of the 3rd year of the warranty I asked them about the foam pad/replacements and let them know I had a replacement unit from an old (2009) purchase and I was willing to special order pads. They said yeah those pads aren't replaceable send us back the unit for a replacement.

So here I am 5 years later and from the original purchase in 2009 I have another brand new pair of G930s.

Warranties are awesome. None of this "When my Deathadder breaks" nonsense. If your DA breaks, use the warranty.

Advertisement