Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

As someone else asked earlier in regards to myrobotcenter.eu, is there a current equivalent in operation?

Previously ordered a McCoulagh 460 (Husky rebranded) but there are currently issues and it may be easier to replace rather than try to seek parts.

Thanks Folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Good weather you missed meant no cutting required.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The little led light on the mower's nest was no longer present.

When operating the mower manually it would remain stationary with a message on the LCD display saying something along the lines of "Detecting Loop Signal".... this would remain displayed for a few moments and then present something along the lines of "No Loop Signal Detected".

When the mower would be prompted out via a set time it would move forward out of the nest but stop and remain in that location.

The perimeter was working fine last season, this problem only presented itself when I was placing the robot into hibernation so I ignored it figuring it was likely a break in the perimeter wire.

I've checked the perimeter wire and it appears to o be making a full circuit. I also created a much smaller boundary circuit using excess perimeter wire, but there was no difference in how the mower performed. Despite connecting a smaller, intact loop of good wire approx. 30ft the device still presented the snake l same issues and the same messages.

I'm thinking that it may be there printed circuit board within the nest, and being able to test it might yield some results.

Test the resistance of the loop with a multimeter if it's over like 750 it's bad if it's over 1000 it's a near full break through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ShadowSA

For now I got it down to 1 hour mulching a 0.5 acre lawn with a 50cm deck. When I want to upgrade I sure will be calling here as it makes more sense than buying a ride on mower.

Thanks, I'll do that when I return in a week's time. I did however use a circuit tester and which suggested that there was a circuit however the MM will give a better picture. Like I said I created a smaller loop using spare perimeter wire and there was no difference.

Thanks again, will double check and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ah you can’t knock me off my smug perch. No grass growth in June? Impossible. And who said I was out of the country to miss the good weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

While its fresh in my mind. I just spent a few hours pulling up some of my boundary wire as there will be machinery on the lawn in a week or so and it was an absolute dose to get out of the ground.

In places it was 2-3 inches under the ground and I laid the wire myself day one (10yrs ago now) on top of the ground with pegs. Over time it naturally disappears under the ground. So, unless you have a dog or something that likes chewing wire there isn't really a need to bury the cable... it will bury itself over time.

The worst spot was where it passed a tree and some roots had grown over the top of the cable! 🤬

Same, I'd to move mine for a new patio. I installed it on the surface of lawn with pegs. It was most definitely no where near the surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 gar1982

How are you finding the lidl mower? I got one but haven't set it up yet. I'm afraid to set it up as I have heard some bad reviews. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Currently have a Gardena Automower that went in for repair and came back with a firmware update. It now has a 'zone generator' feature. Can't seem to find anything about it online, does anyone here have any knowledge on this? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gar1982

How is everyone finding the Lidl robot mower. Any issues? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

I've mine set up and running for about 2 weeks. I can't compare with other robot mowers because I haven't had any.

Aside from having to level off some holes/dips where it got stuck, it has been doing a great job. Cutting 200m2 for 4 hours a day. Not sure if that's overkill or whether I could go with every 2 days but that's what it has been doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Would anyone be able to recommend a mower to cut 2 300m2 lawns separated by a driveway? I was going to go for the bosch 700m+ but in the user manual it says the secondary lawn should be less than 50m2. Other option is buying a second docking station and transferring ithe mower between the 2 manually which isn't ideal. Is there any more suited to cutting 2 separate lawns or a better way to set it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

It depends on your budget. I went with two mowers as I would have had to modify kerbs for one to cross the drive.

Worth considering if you're already thinking about two docking station.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Thanks, you might be right, that might be the simplest option. Any suggestions on the best more for 300m2 if splitting them?

I don't know what would be best for that size, someone else here might be using one in a garden similar in size to your two.

But at that size I would think there are plenty of options. Depends on what you plan on spending too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Has anyone implemented a switch system to block off small areas? I have a trampoline I'd like to move over and back every few weeks to keep grass from getting too bad under it. And next year I will need to avoid cutting the snowdrops and daffodils, or is a small 15cm surround the simplest solution?

I only have a few smaller obstacles in one garden. ESB pole, treatment plant pump housing etc.

With these I just let the mower drive into them, it was the easiest option.

Do you mean add a 15cm upstand all around the frame of the trampoline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Do you mean add a 15cm upstand all around the frame of the trampoline.

Yes, as it seems to drive over the bottom rail and then get stuck. And not ideal for the blades to be coming in contact with the metal.

I saw these, but seem to be out of stock in most places, and would assume that there makes other than Husqvarna making something like this ?

If anyone had experience with using something like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

How do these work? I’m trying to figure out how they’re connected into the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

What I did was dig 4 trenches that were deep enough to take the 4 bottom rails that are part of our trampoline.

Then dropped the trampoline in and backfilled the 4 trenches.

Mower can mow underneath and never gets stuck.

And a hurricane wouldn't move the trampoline!

Good idea. But extreme care needed in measuring the trampolines travel , any more than a small child on it and they can tailbone the ground.

My trampoline is a short one we dug flush into the grass. We'll just above flush it sits proud 4 inches . But does require a deeper hollow in the middle to allow trampoline to fully travel without someone injuring themselves bottoming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I buried the legs of our trampoline about 4 yrs ago, just 3/4 inches below surface, It has never once come close to hitting the ground, even with grown teenagers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lawntractor

Anybody have any interest in a new Husqvarna 430X brand new in the box never opened irsh supplied machine the warranty has no been activated yet retailing around the country for @ €3799 i will sell it for €3400

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

Is there such a thing as a robotic lawn mower that does NOT come with or need a docking station (on the lawn)? We have a small-ish lawn that is separated by a good distance from any power source and it would suit me fine to charge a robot manually (e.g. inside at night) and place it back on the lawn each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭rn

So in theory I think you can have the docking station away from lawn but you have to carry /transport the mower over and back. The mower would need to support GPS as there'd be no powered boundary wire.

The problem you'll have is to understand in the way robots work. They go out often and regularly. So every day and several times a day as they charge and go out. This makes it impractical to have the charging station away from the area to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 enrique_

Question: Will I Have issues if the power wire crosses the boundary wire?

I realize I should ask the product customer support directly, but I'll try here first because many of you have direct experience.

I have to install the charging base (Landroid Worx) and for 'walkability reasons' it would be much more convenient to have it not near the house but on the outside of the garden, as per the attached drawing.

my concern is that the power cable that goes from the AC socket to the charging base causes problems with the perimeter wire, or rather that the robot gets messed up by passing over the power cable. Obviously the power cable would be buried 5/10cm deep, but even by burying it I fear interferences

I can give it a try but if some of you already know the answer I avoid wasting time with experiments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Looks like Lidl have another mower coming in next week. It's a 1000m2 rated one with Wifi/Bluetooth for €350. Looks like great value.

https://www.lidl.ie/p/garden/20v-robot-lawn-mower/p40754

Advertisement