Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shooter Questions

Options
  • 19-05-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone could give me a bit of advice.
    I'm currently completing the FCA1. I have permission to shoot on private land but would be much happier in a club,
    Could anyone recommend a good club in Cork from personal experience?

I really have to put a deposit down on a rifle soon.
    Any recommendations? Something suitable for a first time shooter with an interest predominately in target shooting.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome aboard.

I have no experience with gun clubs in Cork, but if you are after a rifle range then have a look here for some clubs in the area.

When it comes to starting of the first caliber recommended is always a .22lr rifle. The reason for this is the rifle, setup, gear, ammo, etc is cheap to buy, and easy to maintain/run.

The limitations with a .22lr are range, and effectiveness on larger game. However if you have no experience with a rifle then i would not suggest jumping into a centrefire rifle. The difference betwen a rimfire, and centrefire is based on the make up of the round used. See the picture below;
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-59xVtAxq-X8Po0nkwdkF4S3ga56MlMZCzF7bigNmSqcj8T84eg

The round to the left being the rimfire meaning once the bottom/rim of the cartridge is struck by the firing pin the round is discharged. On a centrefire the primer (no 4 on right picture) must be struck which ignites the propellant and fires the bullet.

Most rimfires have a range of between 0 - 125 yards, effective range. Their actual range is much longer. Centrefire rifles, depending on shooter ability have mush greater effective ranges, and hence need A LOT more experience to handle. Apart from the firearm you need to be aware of your environment, backstop (where the bullet will finish) shot placement, etc. Its not quite as easy as point and pull the trigger.

The best selling and most popular starter rifle is the CZ .22lr.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-P3yQ9V4wFljLW6gIzx3dQPbvb6_qU8sW7DkMWYYGXW2uBmMn

Th setup above would cost, depending on scope choice, about €800 new or between €300 - €550 second hand. They are a fantastic gun, and if you asked i would say about 70% of rifle shooter either had one or have one.

Depending on your budget you could look at a higher model such as Anschutz.

Anschutz-1710-D-KL-Walnut-Monte-Carlo-.22-long.jpg

The 1417, 1710 are popular but cost twice/three times the price of the CZ. Prices start around €850 and go upward. Second hand you could pick one up for between €550 - €1,000. They are more accurate than a CZ but at 50 meters (the range most competitions are shot at) there is little difference with the Anschutz edging it over the CZ.

To find out which rifle you want or more importantly which suits your intended purpose then i would suggest visiting a few rifle ranges, and seeing what others are using, and what they have, use it for, how it works, how effective it is, cost, etc. Most ranges would welcome you, and freely show you around. Simply ring before traveling as some ranges need prior notification before you can turn up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mike923

Thanks for the very detailed response Cass.

The CZ looks perfect for me, I don't have much interest in hunting so I'm not fussed in the slightest about the takedown abilities!
    I think I'm going to look for a decent 2nd hand one. I was thinking about €600 max for the rifle itself so I'll definitely look for a CZ.

Thanks again! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My mistake. When i hear gun club i think hunting club like the NARGC, etc.

You are looking for a target shooting club/range?

If that is the way you want to go then take a look at the link i put above about ranges/shooting clubs. There are a couple in the Cork/southwest that should suit.

As for rifle. I shot with a CZ452 for over a decade. Depending on your ability you will keep up with the rest without any issues. It also depends on the type or shooting you like. Benchrest, sporting, plinking, etc. Either way the CZ is a great little starter kit.

For your budget of €600 you will easily pick up a good quality, low use, CZ or similar .22lr. There are other brands but they are not anywhere near as common hence my focus on the CZ. Plus in the €600 or lower mark CZ are among the best rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mike923

Yes, sorry I should have clarified!

Thanks very much, will definitely be keeping an eye out for one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Talking about CZ rifles, one of our club members bought one to 'tide him over until he could afford something better'.

That was in 1965.

He gave it to the club last year for learners to use. It still shoots like a mad thing, too.

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement