Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind farms - ugly truths

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Fascinating - the fact that the past few weeks have been exceptionally windy of course has nothing to do with any of this.
    It's not been exceptionally windy for the time of year. We get wind in winter. The trick is to use the power when it's there. It's the exact opposite of firing up gas or turning on the tap at Turlough Hill during peak demand where you use power when it isn't there.
    Or maybe , and this is difficult for some to understand, it's exactly the same because it's just load balancing. You know, using the power available on the grid to supply the demand, cept' of course it means the peaking plants will have to top up power in the way they have always done.

I know it's a very difficult concept. But try to get your head around the fact that peaking plant is there for the peaks and they don't get used when there are cheaper options available. ( a slightly more difficult concept is that peaking plant is cheap to build but expensive to run , perhaps if you consider how few hours it actually runs for you may realise why it's better to keep the capital costs down and take the hit when it's needed. Then you may realise why demand shedding is cheaper than building peaking plant or why it's good to reduce the running time of the relatively inefficient open cycle generators when wind is available )

It's not even unpredictable. There's weather systems off Greenland and coming up from the Gulf of Mexico to tap into next week.

And as I keep pointing out 400,000 seconds warning is probably are more than enough on a grid that's designed to ramp up within 5 seconds.

I'd expect that we'll average 25% of our electricity from renewables this winter, perhaps maybe a little more now the gird can accept more than 50% at a time and also there's more turbines than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

And I gave you a simple example of how such a market could be implemented –
    you’ve chosen to ignore this.
    Actually I described your debating as
    lazy.

Off the top of your head with no actual real world working example or relevant links to same - if I did the same you'd be the first one on here whinging about it
    But fossil fuel production and electricity generation are subsidised in many
    countries around the world. It’s daft to pretend this has no impact on the Irish
    energy market

What relevance is any of that to the discussion on Irish wind energy and our grid??. Gas/oil are not subsidized in this country as I've pointed out numerous times. The discussion is about current Irish energy policies which prioritise the interests of wind developers and whether such a model is economically or environmentally sustaineable.
    REFIT provides temporary support for renewable electricity generation, does it
    not?

I wouldn't call 15 years "temporary" with regards to Irish wind turbines given their averge life-span. Its just one of the many market supports implemented for the industry anyhow. Indeed the powerfull wind lobby here are trying to get REFIT rolled over into the future. It would indeed be interesting to see just how many wind farms will continue to operate when their REFIT money runs out or if a new government ends the gravy train in the future as what happened in the UK recently

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-33227489
    Questioning the content of an article does not constitute a “hissy fit”.

You constantly target posters who don't share your views on this subject. Indeed many regular posters here don't even bother posting in this thread anymore - and its easy to see why

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Indeed many regular posters here don't even bother posting in this thread anymore - and its easy to see why

Because of continual rambling repetitious nonsense posts devoid of fresh content and/or new insight ?:rolleyes:

....well that's my reason...

It's not been exceptionally windy for the time of year. We get wind in winter. The trick is to use the power when it's there.
    I'd expect that we'll average 25% of our electricity from renewables this winter, perhaps maybe a little more now the gird can accept more than 50% at a time and also there's more turbines than last year.

How insightful - winters in Ireland are as variable as anywhere else in Europe. Statements like your that don't say much for your knowledge of the Irish climate or its extreme variability from year to year, month to month,day to day, hour to hour etc.. Making predictions off the back of the current windy spell shows your sweeping assumptions are not based on reality. Look back at the figure for October and the start of November. I don't remember you crowing about such things then. And given that theres a good chance that the current weather regime will likely breakdown post Christmas(as is typical most years with Jan Feb being the coldest months) the actual fuel savings and peak daily demand supply from wind are typically a lot less then wind lobbyists like to make out across time, which can be seen with the issues with wind in relation to the actual operation of the Irish grid as already outlined in this thread. Indeed as pointed out a number of times, in colder winters when energy demands are higher than averge wind's contribution is even less impressive as the figures from 2010 show. A similar pattern can be seen in Germany too with significant heavier coal use in such years.

Because of continual rambling repetitious nonsense posts devoid of fresh content and/or new insight ?:rolleyes:

Wannabe mods are a big part of the problem.

PS: I thought your weren't bothered with this thread anymore as your amazing intellect has come to the right conclusion on the matter as you stated earlier:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Today we got 50% of our electricity from renewables.

55% being trialled as the max from SNSP

the past two days may well have been that - I noted 52% yesterday using Eigrid's smart dashboard fugures

http://www.eirgridgroup.com/site-files/library/EirGrid/OperationalConstraintsUpdateVersion1_32_27-November_2015.pdf

Who has some figures

if a Wind is paid circa €80 per Mwh for its life and receives no capital support to be built
    vs
    say Great Island 464Mw Gas turbine which costs a reputed €330M up front costs (which is an investment by the owners) but only gets say €20 to €40 per Mwh on average

wind obviously has zero (bar maintenance) marginal costs where as the gas turbine has to pay for the gas

Over say a 15 year period how does this work out

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/power-onwexfords-330-million-power-plant-goes-live-at-great-island-31177277.html

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Given the vast array of price plans, introductionary offers, bundles that include gas supply too etc. across various companies targeting different consumer groups - its not a very usefull source for the purpose of gauging the costs of our energy policies at a retail level overall.

Actually, they're just general tariffs - no introductory offers or gas/electricity combinations included (at least as I had them filtered - you can go back a page and double check if you like). The important ones anyway are the highest non-meter-credit and the lowest tariff rate that anyone can apply for. The important bit is that in a perfectly competitive market with interchangeable goods, everyone is supposed to flock to the lowest cost provider (which triggers other providers to drop their prices). This is very clearly not happening in our electricity market.

This is why I prefer simple stats like the table below which cuts out all the BS on the subject

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing#/media/File:Electricity-prices-europe.jpg

Going on your logic that Irish consumers are a bit dense, consumers in Denmark and Germany must be right fools!!

Unfortunately that simplifies things to the point that it removes useful information for understanding what is going on. You need to see the price spread to get a feel on what is actually causing retail electricity prices to remain so much higher than wholesale prices.

I wouldn't call Irish consumers dense - they're just operating like real people on other criteria than pure economics. Loyalty and trust is a big part of why ESB remains the top supplier for most people.

Denmark's electricity prices are a more complicated thing - half their price is actually assorted energy taxes and a large portion of their installed renewable base is actually community owned coops (which means due to revenue return/support payments their effective energy price is lower than the headline figure).

Germany I'd need to look at their market but I'd almost put money on it that it's down to them chopping and changing their investment signals over the last few years.
    Well thats me convinced

I don't need or expect you to be. I just hope you'll entertain the thought experiment to get a feeling for why that DSM idea might not be as crazy as it first sounded to you.
    You keep changing the goal posts - my post referred to daily wholesale rates before the likes of PSO,TM costs are included

Cool...in that case it is more than 60% of the floor on the final retail price. ;)

(I was being conservative and backing my facts up to published information)
    So your lecture on DSM was entirely irrelevant to the point I was making. I'm well aware of nightsaver rates etc. They have around for years and have little baring on this discussion as I pointed out earlier, yet you insist on muddying the waters by trotting out a vague version of it in response to my post

Then give me in one line what you are trying to drive at - at the moment it reads to me like you dislike the idea of Eirgrid considering paying for DSM because you think it's unproven on a consumer base (hence my reference to nightsaver) and/or it'll increase prices and/or drive off industry (in which case see my examples).

Again your muddying the waters - I'm well aware that Eirgrid are now a separate entity. It is their current form and objectives that I have a serious problem with, given their current and planned lavish spending on grandiose wind related grid projects - the cost of which gets entirely dumped on the Irish energy consumer.

They're doing the same thing they've always done. They're trying to keep the power system running at minimum cost given the impact of political policy that is not in their remit to change. Hell, the big drum their beating at the moment has nothing to do with wind but with avoiding blacking out the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Off the top of your head with no actual real world working example or relevant links to same…
    When did I say such a market exists? Doesn’t mean that such a market cannot exist.

Would you like me to outline my proposal in a blog post?
    What relevance is any of that to the discussion on Irish wind energy and our grid??. Gas/oil are not subsidized in this country as I've pointed out numerous times.
    The fossil fuel market is a global one that Ireland imports heavily from. Other countries subsidising production of fossil fuels obviously impacts the market price that Ireland pays.
    The discussion is about current Irish energy policies…
    Oh we’re only allowed to talk about Ireland now, are we? Because you’ve made reference to other countries on numerous occasions.
    I wouldn't call 15 years "temporary" with regards to Irish wind turbines given their averge life-span.
    In the context of transforming a national grid, 15 years is not a particularly long time. The point is, the support has a defined end-point – it does not continue indefinitely. Ergo, it is temporary.
    You constantly target posters who don't share your views on this subject. Indeed many regular posters here don't even bother posting in this thread anymore - and its easy to see why
    They’re too busy throwing hissy fits?

fclauson wrote: »
    Who has some figures

if a Wind is paid circa €80 per Mwh for its life and receives no capital support to be built
    vs
    say Great Island 464Mw Gas turbine which costs a reputed €330M up front costs (which is an investment by the owners) but only gets say €20 to €40 per Mwh on average

wind obviously has zero (bar maintenance) marginal costs where as the gas turbine has to pay for the gas

Over say a 15 year period how does this work out

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/power-onwexfords-330-million-power-plant-goes-live-at-great-island-31177277.html

Tough enough example to work out. There's a few more pieces of information needed for a decent answer.

What rate of return on capital do you want to assume, ditto inflation rate, and capacity factors? Also, do you want to figure in ancillary services or just energy (and on this, what assumptions do you want to make on market price)? Finally, do you want 15 years as a snapshot or do you want a year by year comparison (I'm wondering as well if it's going to matter that 15 years is the length of that guaranteed €80/MWh - probably not as you'd guess GI capital would be paid off by then discounting refurbishments).

• Advertisement

L wrote: »
    Tough enough example to work out. There's a few more pieces of information needed for a decent answer.

Lets see ....

What rate of return on capital do you want to assume, say 5% - probably about right

ditto inflation rate, 2%

and capacity factors - local wind farms here are around 25->32%

Also, do you want to figure in ancillary services or just energy (and on this, what assumptions do you want to make on market price)?
    Hard one - this is where a lot of "hidden" costs seem to be buried

Finally, do you want 15 years as a snapshot or do you want a year by year comparison (I'm wondering as well if it's going to matter that 15 years is the length of that guaranteed €80/MWh - probably not as you'd guess GI capital would be paid off by then discounting refurbishments).

I took 15 years - as a snapshot - by the there will be 10MW+ turbines for which the pylons we have might be of no use !! - there will be a ROI to calc if its worth refurb at a lower output or rebuild to get a bigger piece of the action

Actually, they're just general tariffs - no introductory
    offers or gas/electricity combinations included (at least as I had them filtered
    - you can go back a page and double check if you like).
    So is the Eurostat data and includes all the little nasties that Eirgrid,CER etc have dumped on the Irish consumer which they can't avoid paying.

Unfortunately that simplifies things to the point that it removes useful
    information for understanding what is going on. You need to see the
    price spread to get a feel on what is actually causing retail electricity prices
    to remain so much higher than wholesale prices.

I wouldn't call Irish
    consumers dense - they're just operating like real people on other criteria than
    pure economics. Loyalty and trust is a big part of why ESB remains the top
    supplier for most people.

Denmark's electricity prices are a more
    complicated thing - half their price is actually assorted energy taxes and a
    large portion of their installed renewable base is actually community owned
    coops (which means due to revenue return/support payments their effective energy
    price is lower than the headline figure).

Germany I'd need to look at
    their market but I'd almost put money on it that it's down to them chopping and
    changing their investment signals over the last few years.

Unfortunately you appear to want to blame everything but the issues around the indulgence of wind power for the high prices on such grids.

We already discussed how Denmarks high energy taxes are directly related to preferential tax treatment of wind power operators in additions to all the other
    supports they receive directly and indirectly.I've no idea what is the basis for your speculation on the German case
    At the end of the day when you boil things down there is a clear relationship across Europe between energy prices and installed wind/solar capacity . Similar patterns are also apparent in Canada and US as I showed earlier in the thread with relevant links. I'm sure you'd prefer it such things were ignored for the sake of your own pro-wind developer arguments but the evidence is pretty clear

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/rstudioscreensnapz027.png

I don't need or expect you to be. I just hope you'll entertain the thought
    experiment to get a feeling for why that DSM idea might not be as crazy as it
    first sounded to you.

The concept as described by you is a glorified night saver scheme. It adds nothing new or different to the arguement

Then give me in one line what you are trying to drive at - at the moment it
    reads to me like you dislike the idea of Eirgrid considering paying for DSM
    because you think it's unproven on a consumer base (hence my reference to
    nightsaver) and/or it'll increase prices and/or drive off industry (in which
    case see my examples).

To refresh your memory. I asked "how would this work in practice during prolonged periods of low wind conditions of the type we saw earlier this winter".

in response you said "DSM isn't used in those conditions"

Too right it isn't due to the obvious cost and practicality issues!!

You seem to read into things what you want to read into them for your own purposes. Eirgrids proposal involved a lot more then the simple concept of DSM that you seem to think it was. It was suggesting forcing people to switch off during low renewable input periods by offering incentives to be paid for by foisting extra charges across the system. Clearly unworkable which is why the likes of the UK and Germany are now scrambling to back track on such ideas by looking to install more conventional dispatcheable plant

They're doing the same thing they've always done. They're trying to keep the
    power system running at minimum cost given the impact of political policy that
    is not in their remit to change. Hell, the big drum their beating at the moment
    has nothing to do with wind but with avoiding blacking out the North

Again your very selective in your observations. It was Eirgrid that were gung-ho on the the likes of the wind energy inspired grid west project before a number of wind farms in the target areas where rejected/curtailed on planning grounds. And that North/South interconnector has plenty to do with wind energy too as discussed on Prime Time just this week

When did I say such a market exists? Doesn’t mean that such a market
    cannot exist.

I think we're heading into LaLa land here!!
    The fossil fuel market is a global one that Ireland imports heavily from. Other
    countries subsidising production of fossil fuels obviously impacts the
    market price that Ireland pays.
    Oh we’re only allowed to talk about Ireland
    now, are we? Because you’ve made reference to other countries on numerous
    occasions

How do Irish conventional power plants benefit from supposed subsidies in fossil fuel producer countries when they buy on wholeale markets??. In any case your definition of what a "subsidy" was, included normal tax treatment for any product or service, and so was essentially irrelevant and designed to present a false picture of the subject. I have referenced numerous countries in relation to wind energy which I though was the subject of this thread??
    In the context of transforming a national grid, 15 years is not a particularly
    long time.
    The point is, the support has a defined end-point – it does not
    continue indefinitely. Ergo, it is temporary.

hissy fits?

In the context of Irish wind farms it is a long time. And as I pointed out the likes of the IWEA are lobbying hard to extend this support(along with other types of support as I mentioned in my original response) and it is clear from the recent mass cancellations of wind farms in the UK on the back of cutting supports - these wind farms are simply not economically viable in an open market. Spain has had similar issues with many wind farms no longer financially viable

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-06-06/spain-caps-earnings-from-renewables-in-subsidy-overhaul

"The retroactive measures have angered the renewable energy industry, which says the government has acted illegally and will bankrupt many projects"

Indeed in places like Navarre the countryside is already littered with rusting abandoned wind farms

I think we're heading into LaLa land here!!
    You understand that this is a discussion forum, don’t you? You know, the kind of place where people discuss ideas.
    How do Irish conventional power plants benefit from supposed subsidies in fossil fuel producer countries when they buy on wholeale markets??
    How do Irish consumers of fossil fuels benefit from subsidies in fossil fuel producing countries that allow suppliers to supply said fuels to the wholesale market at lower prices than would be possible in the absence of said subsidies?

Seriously?
    In any case your definition of what a "subsidy" was, included normal tax treatment for any product or service, and so was essentially irrelevant and designed to present a false picture of the subject.
    Once again, you need to look up the definition of “tax break”.
    …it is clear from the recent mass cancellations of wind farms in the UK on the back of cutting supports - these wind farms are simply not economically viable in an open market.
    The DART underground project has still not gone ahead, due to lack of government support – does that mean that it is not a viable project?

djpbarry wrote: »
    The DART underground project has still not gone ahead, due to lack of government support – does that mean that it is not a viable project?

Wind farms are not viable without subsidy in the current market - thats why we pay PSO levy

The reasons for these subsidies payments can be found in (quoting from the CER )
    http://www.cer.ie/docs/001034/CER15110%20PSO%20Levy%202015-16%20Proposed%20Decision%20Paper.pdf

To quote
    The PSO levy is a subsidy charged to all electricity customers in Ireland. It is designed by the Irish Government and consists of various subsidy schemes to support its national policy objectives related to renewable energy, indigenous fuels (peat) and security of energy supply. The proceeds of the levy are used to contribute to the additional relevant costs incurred by PSO-supported electricity generators which are not recovered in the electricity market

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Wind farms are not viable without subsidy in the current market - thats why we pay PSO levy
    To be honest, practically nothing is viable without subsidy in the current market and the same can be said all across the European markets. As you mentioned, gas and peat also receive money from the PSO levy and coal benefits from huge indirect subsidies by not paying for its full carbon and other polluting emissions. Oh and Moneypoint was built by a semi-state with a monopoly.

Well, no. Apart from the fact that the PSO levy is not just for wind, its purpose is to fund the accelerated transformation of the grid in Ireland, which would not happen in the open market. That doesn’t mean certain renewables are not cost-effective means of generating electricity.

So is the Eurostat data and includes all the little nasties that Eirgrid,CER etc have dumped on the Irish consumer which they can't avoid paying.

The Eurostat data doesn't give the spread of tariffs which is the important part if you want to understand why average retail prices aren't declining despite reduction in wholesale prices.
    Unfortunately you appear to want to blame everything but the issues around the indulgence of wind power for the high prices on such grids.

Unfortunately you're focused on wind being responsible for everything regardless of actual root causes. If you tried to understand them, you'd be able to frame your arguments more convincingly.
    We already discussed how Denmarks high energy taxes are directly related to preferential tax treatment of wind power operators in additions to all the other
    supports they receive directly and indirectly.I've no idea what is the basis for your speculation on the German case

Yep, Denmark is pretty clear cut - my point on it is that their high headline energy price is partly composed of money going back to the communities paying it. It's not directly comparable to every other tariff across the EU as a result.

Germany is simple. Up until 2011 they'd been talking about a slow phase out of Nuclear. Then Fukushima happened and they speeded it up. On top of that, they're trying to transition from Coal/oil baseload to gas. On top of that, they're trying to increase the level of renewables on their grid. In other words, they've high energy prices due to chopping and changing what they're doing and driving up the amount of invested/stranded capital as a result.
    At the end of the day when you boil things down there is a clear relationship across Europe between energy prices and installed wind/solar capacity . Similar patterns are also apparent in Canada and US as I showed earlier in the thread with relevant links. I'm sure you'd prefer it such things were ignored for the sake of your own pro-wind developer arguments but the evidence is pretty clear

It amuses me a little that you see anyone who doesn't jump on board with "Windmills are the cause of all evil and eat babies" as pro-wind development. It's an amazingly myopic view of a very complicated set of problems and positions.
    The concept as described by you is a glorified night saver scheme. It adds nothing new or different to the arguement

You realize you're the one who brought it up by claiming Eirgrid were doing something crazy by talking about it...right?
    To refresh your memory. I asked "how would this work in practice during prolonged periods of low wind conditions of the type we saw earlier this winter".

in response you said "DSM isn't used in those conditions"

Too right it isn't due to the obvious cost and practicality issues!!

If you frame a strawman question, you get the answer you want. Maybe ask how it's beneficial to the system instead? You might learn something.
    You seem to read into things what you want to read into them for your own purposes. Eirgrids proposal involved a lot more then the simple concept of DSM that you seem to think it was. It was suggesting forcing people to switch off during low renewable input periods by offering incentives to be paid for by foisting extra charges across the system. Clearly unworkable which is why the likes of the UK and Germany are now scrambling to back track on such ideas by looking to install more conventional dispatcheable plant

Look up what net load is. Then apply what we were talking about earlier. You use DSM to flatten out the shape of the load so you can use your generation portfolio more effectively.

Saying it's bad because it doesn't replace generation is broadly the same sense as saying that you don't need feet cos you have a car or that a biscuit isn't very good at being a cup of tea. They're complementary things.
    Again your very selective in your observations. It was Eirgrid that were gung-ho on the the likes of the wind energy inspired grid west project before a number of wind farms in the target areas where rejected/curtailed on planning grounds. And that North/South interconnector has plenty to do with wind energy too as discussed on Prime Time just this week

You mean the transmission system operator wanted to build lines to allow it to perform its legal requirement to connect those generators? How appalling. They must really love wind a lot to be doing their legal duty ;)

As for "North South interconnector is for wind" - read what the NI regulator had to say. Take a look at the data on what happens to NI's capacity without it (pages 45/46). The North-South interconnector isn't about wind - it's about NI being almost entirely dependent on the Moyle Interconnector and one or two obsolete generators that are being paid service contracts to buy time to finish the North-South interconnector.

djpbarry wrote: »
    You understand that this is a discussion forum, don’t you? You know, the kind of place where people discuss ideas.
    How do Irish consumers of fossil fuels benefit from subsidies in fossil fuel producing countries that allow suppliers to supply said fuels to the wholesale market at lower prices than would be possible in the absence of said subsidies?

Seriously?
    Once again, you need to look up the definition of “tax break”.
    ?

As I mentioned earlier your definition of a "subsidy" appear to encompass pretty much every commodity and service on the planet. Same goes for "tax breaks". I must be very upsetting for the windies seeing the price of oil/gas continue to tank despite all the alarmist nonsense spouted on the subject over the last few years.

Macha wrote: »
    To be honest, practically nothing is viable without subsidy in the current market and the same can be said all across the European markets. As you mentioned, gas and peat also receive money from the PSO levy and coal benefits from huge indirect subsidies by not paying for its full carbon and other polluting emissions. Oh and Moneypoint was built by a semi-state with a monopoly.

The gas element of the PSO levy is very minor and comes under the "security of supply" heading in CER documentation. Wind power interestingly does not come under that heading according to the CER. Wind energy is by far the largest element of the PSO and is set to rise further next year according to same

• Advertisement

The Eurostat data doesn't give the spread of tariffs which is the important part
    if you want to understand why average retail prices aren't declining despite
    reduction in wholesale prices.

It gives the average Tariff which is the fairest measure. It mightn't suit your arguments but it is the fairest measure
    . If you tried to understand them, you'd be able to frame
    your arguments more convincingly.

That sounds like your ego getting the better of you. I understand enough to know spin and PR waffle when I see it
    Yep, Denmark is pretty clear cut - my point on it is that their high headline
    energy price is partly composed of money going back to the communities paying
    it. It's not directly comparable to every other tariff across the EU as a
    result.

Germany is simple. Up until 2011 they'd been talking about a
    slow phase out of Nuclear. Then Fukushima happened and they speeded it up. On
    top of that, they're trying to transition from Coal/oil baseload to gas. On top
    of that, they're trying to increase the level of renewables on their grid. In
    other words, they've high energy prices due to chopping and changing what
    they're doing and driving up the amount of invested/stranded capital as a
    result.

And yet those pushing wind here and in government continue to laud both countries approach to this issue and are determined to follow a similar path!!

It amuses me a little that you see anyone who doesn't jump on board with
    "Windmills are the cause of all evil and eat babies" as pro-wind development.
    It's an amazingly myopic view of a very complicated set of problems and
    positions.

I've no problem with folks who want to power their own set-up with wind as they personally take on all the risks and costs without imposing such things on third parties. My point is that the technology is wholly unsuitable for national grid scale deployment for a whole range of reasons as already outlined in this thread

You realize you're the one who brought it up by claiming Eirgrid were doing
    something crazy by talking about it...right?

Eirgrid where talking about something on a vastly different scale to DSM

If you frame a strawman question, you get the answer you want. Maybe ask how
    it's beneficial to the system instead? You might learn something

Again your EGO appears to be clouding your judgement on this. If you don't know the answer to the question I poised - just say so.

Look up what net load is. Then apply what we were talking about earlier. You use
    DSM to flatten out the shape of the load so you can use your generation
    portfolio more effectively.

You already said DSM can't address the issues I raised and that are already impacting on the UK and other grids. Yet you persist with dragging it into the argument at every opportunity

You mean the transmission system operator wanted to build lines to allow it to perform its legal requirement to connect those generators? How appalling. They must really love wind a lot to be doing their legal duty ;)

As for "North South interconnector is for wind" - read what the NI regulator had to say. Take a look at the data on what happens to NI's capacity without it (pages 45/46). The North-South interconnector isn't about wind - it's about NI being almost entirely dependent on the Moyle Interconnector and one or two obsolete generators that are being paid service contracts to buy time to finish the North-South interconnector.
    [/QUOTE]
    Oh but they do - it was the whole rational for the grid west project about which I got a load of documentation from Eirgrid mail shots to my address in North Mayo which stated that exact reality. Can you expand on your point about Eirgrids legal obligations as it relates to wind energy??. It appears to suggest that they have to provide network infrastructure to wind developers anywhere and everywhere. If Eirgrid didn't come up with this approach I'd like to know the clowns who did??

My point about the North-South interconnector was valid as wind developers themselves stated on the PT programme that it would facilitate wind farms in "virgin territory".

It gives the average Tariff which is the fairest measure. It mightn't suit your arguments but it is the fairest measure

If we were asking the question "Are retail tariffs high in Ireland?", it would be perfect. As is, we know the answer to that (yes), and we are discussing a related but separate point - "why are retail tariffs high in Ireland if wholesale is not?". The average tariff has no explanatory power and gives no illumination here.
    That sounds like your ego getting the better of you. I understand enough to know spin and PR waffle when I see it
    Again your EGO appears to be clouding your judgement on this. If you don't know the answer to the question I poised - just say so.

Seriously mate, why bother having this discussion if you're going to descend into ad hominem all the time? It's a serious breach of basic debate etiquette.
    And yet those pushing wind here and in government continue to laud both countries approach to this issue and are determined to follow a similar path!!

Denmark is actually fairly successful once you take into account all the money flows, interconnection, and timelines involved. Give them a few years and they're going to be in quite a good place to profit from the integrated EU market (which means their high prices should flip to low).

Germany's a bit more complicated. If anything they seem like a cautionary tale on changing horses midstream. That said, they can afford it. I'd need to do some more reading around about their power system policies before I'd be comfortable dissecting it fully though.
    I've no problem with folks who want to power their own set-up with wind as they personally take on all the risks and costs without imposing such things on third parties. My point is that the technology is wholly unsuitable for national grid scale deployment for a whole range of reasons as already outlined in this thread

I'd take a more balanced approach - wind is a part of a balanced grid mix where it offsets and complements fuel based generation and vice versa (what exact percentage of the mix is something I don't know, and, outside hard technical limits, is more of a philosophical question). As off-grid tech, it has some complications that would make me sceptical of its benefit versus solar. I would be in favour of local coop style models (where a village has most of its electricity needs met by self-owned local renewable generation but has the main grid for backup).
    Eirgrid where talking about something on a vastly different scale to DSM

Can you get me the quote you're talking about please? I'll have a look and see can I understand what they're suggesting. It's sounded like DSM to me so far.
    You already said DSM can't address the issues I raised and that are already impacting on the UK and other grids. Yet you persist with dragging it into the argument at every opportunity.

You brought it up mate - then brought it up a second time as a throwaway comment. I can give you reams of examples as to how it could be useful in cold snap situations (keeping peaker oil supplies as high as possible during periods where they may be critically necessary and resupply is difficult) but they're not hugely relevant to the conversation. Provide the original quote you were talking about and I can give you a better answer.
    Oh but they do - it was the whole rational for the grid west project about which I got a load of documentation from Eirgrid mail shots to my address in North Mayo which stated that exact reality.

You were talking about being able to spot PR right? Make a divide between (bad) PR material and reality here. A few years back, wind was seen as universally popular and pylons were ...still not. Why do you think they were saying "building these ugly necessary things will facilitate this apparently popular thing we think you want"?
    Can you expand on your point about Eirgrids legal obligations as it relates to wind energy??. It appears to suggest that they have to provide network infrastructure to wind developers anywhere and everywhere. If Eirgrid didn't come up with this approach I'd like to know the clowns who did??

This is massively complicated but it basically comes down to a handful of interactions (and is not just limited to wind). I'd encourage you to do some reading around on this as I'm running off memory/giving the gist.

1.) Eirgrid has a statutory duty to accept all reasonable connection requests (generators or demand) of a certain scale. If they say no, they need to be able to prove they can't accommodate it (or they're legally on the hook). Smaller stuff tends to be handled by ESB instead.

2.) A lot of smaller wind farms are distribution (small local level lines) connected rather than transmission (big country spanning lines) connected. This means that ESB are responsible for the connection as DSO rather than Eirgrid as TSO and there may not be transmission capacity to send power outside the local area. These are called non-firm connections.

3.) Eirgrid has a statutory obligation to run a reliable, economic and efficient transmission system. This means that if they leave a bunch of generation stranded (like the non-firm wind farms mentioned earlier), when they could build transmission lines to use them, they're on the hook legally again.

4.) This is further complicated by a set of legal agreements around infrastructure between ESB and Eirgrid which basically mean Eirgrid has to prove it's not technically feasible to make transmission reinforcements to support a project before they can say no to it.

5.) Eirgrid and ESB are mandated to follow government policy (as a result of having their shareholder be the government). Government policy is being informed by the 2020 EU targets on energy which mean ESB and Eirgrid are legally required to plan accordingly as system operators and have operational strategy in place for 40% renewable energy.

These 5 points all interact with one another to mean ESB and Eirgrid have to facilitate wind connections and build accordingly.
    My point about the North-South interconnector was valid as wind developers themselves stated on the PT programme that it would facilitate wind farms in "virgin territory".

*shrug* They're pretty much the definition of a vested interest in wind though, no? They'll say whatever they want to say (and whatever they think is good for their business).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Seriously mate, why bother having this discussion if you're going to descend into ad hominem all the time? It's a serious breach of basic debate etiquette.

[mod]It's also a breach of forum rules. Birdnuts has received a warning for these uncivil comments. Please report any problems you have with a post and avoid discussing in thread to keep the discussion on track. [/mod]

Macha wrote: »
    [mod]It's also a breach of forum rules. Birdnuts has received a warning for these uncivil comments. Please report any posts you have a problem with and avoid discussing them in thread to keep the discussion on track. [/mod]

Right we are. My apologies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Germany's a bit more complicated. If anything they seem like a cautionary tale on changing horses midstream. That said, they can afford it. I'd need to do some more reading around about their power system policies before I'd be comfortable dissecting it fully though.
    The UK will probably be referred to as a cautionary tale in future, with their 180 on renewables ;)

Any chance they'll get taken to the Eu again over the govt guarantee on the Chinese money to pay for the French Nuclear ?

Also you have to take into account the politics. German policy has something like a 96% approval rating , except of course for the cost. But try to find any group of consumers who wouldn't prefer cheaper prices.

As off-grid tech, it has some complications that would make me sceptical of its benefit versus solar. I would be in favour of local coop style models (where a village has most of its electricity needs met by self-owned local renewable generation but has the main grid for backup).
    Until energy storage gets really cheap a grid connection is the cheapest way for backup and redundancy, but once you have a grid connection it's hard to compete with the wholesale price. Local generation could compete on the retail price. It's a balancing act.

Investing in insulation might be the first step. Increasing insulation for space and water would mean heating wouldn't need to be as time critical and peak demand could be shifted.

Also for rural communities bio-gas but piping ain't cheap and the stuff is a lot more toxic than natural gas, though nowhere near as bad as the old coal gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Also you have to take into account the politics. German policy has something like a 96% approval rating , except of course for the cost. But try to find any group of consumers who wouldn't prefer cheaper prices.
    In other news, Germany is still opening new coal fired power plants. Some of it based on lignite, or brown/soft coal, which has been explicit policy for many years now.

German policy is based on makey-uppey pseudo science and lowest common denominator fear-mongering. It is not providing value, either to the consumer or, just as importantly to the environment.
    Until energy storage gets really cheap a grid connection is the cheapest way for backup and redundancy, but once you have a grid connection it's hard to compete with the wholesale price.
    It won't do anything to cover cases where an entire region is having the same demand and weather conditions. What use is interconnection to the UK if we both have the same power sources, and the same prevailing weather conditions?
    Investing in insulation might be the first step. Increasing insulation for space and water would mean heating wouldn't need to be as time critical and peak demand could be shifted.
    Investing in insulation is the only thing I've seen in this thread that makes any sense, yes it damn well should be the first step. People should also be encouraged to take these systems "off grid" (solid fuel stoves, locally used gas, keorsene, wood pellets or whatever) so that these functions are independent of the chaos Greens want to cause on the grid, and also because it's more efficient to use a modern stove/kerosene boiler to make heat and hot water than to use electricity for the same purpose.

However even this plan is subject to the caveat that in a Winter 2010 style crisis, home heating systems are likely to break down en-masse and people will rely on plug electric heaters to stay alive. There had better be a stable grid with plentiful cheap power available for such a crisis. That includes a super-peak demand, no wind and no sun - for which you've made no provision as far as I can see.

SeanW wrote: »
    In other news, Germany is still opening new coal fired power plants. Some of it based on lignite, or brown/soft coal, which has been explicit policy for many years now.
    This myth has been debunked on this forum so many times. No new German coal plants have been given the go ahead since the phase out of nuclear was announced in 2011.

When was the coal plant in your link first proposed? The story itself says it's been under construction for 8 years and is owned by Vattenfall, the Swedish state company, that has been ordered to sell its German coal assets by the Swedish government. There's the headline, and then there's the more complicated reality.

Ireland will have to figure out what it's going to do with its only coal plan, Moneypoint, and soon.

SeanW wrote: »
    However even this plan is subject to the caveat that in a Winter 2010 style crisis, home heating systems are likely to break down en-masse and people will rely on plug electric heaters to stay alive. There had better be a stable grid with plentiful cheap power available for such a crisis. That includes a super-peak demand, no wind and no sun - for which you've made no provision as far as I can see.
    Peak demand was 5GW and that was in 2008 , not 2010.

And a repeat of the 5GW demand would be covered by the 7GW dispatchable on the grid.

And because you are talking an absolute peak it doesn't need to be cheap. It's pretty common to see peak prices on www.sem-o.com way above the base.

DXc4SoY.png

So if we have very cold weather, and no wind , and there are multiple units off line and the neighbours won't sell electricity over the interconector we still have capacity. And even if we didn't there is still the option of demand shedding during peak hours.

As is, we know the answer to that (yes), and we are discussing a related but
    separate point - "why are retail tariffs high in Ireland if wholesale is not?".
    The average tariff has no explanatory power and gives no illumination here.

Wholesale prices tell us very little about the cost implications of wind on a grid - to extend that logic we might as well say wind power is free...scarily many proponents of wind energy actually believe that!!

Seriously mate, why bother having this discussion if you're going to descend
    into ad hominem all the time? It's a serious breach of basic debate etiquette

I was merely responding to your attempt to crique my posting style, which I thought was out of order

Denmark is actually fairly successful once you take into account all the money
    flows, interconnection, and timelines involved. Give them a few years and
    they're going to be in quite a good place to profit from the integrated EU
    market (which means their high prices should flip to low
    ).

The Danes seem to be loosing faith in that particular model

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/07/denmark-backs-away-from-green-energy/
    Germany's a bit more complicated. If anything they seem like a cautionary tale
    on changing horses midstream. That said, they can afford it. I'd need to do some
    more reading around about their power system policies before I'd be comfortable
    dissecting it fully though.

The problem is that the Germans dominate energy policy in the EU and are using that power to inflict their ropey energy policies on everyone else. At least a number of Eastern European countries like Poland and the Czechs are pushing against this(with the UK finally waking up and doing something similar). Ireland on the other hand, like so many other times in our history, will learn nothing from other country's mistakes and head merrily over this particular cliff followed by years of the usual hand wringing, inquiries etc.

Can you get me the quote you're talking about please? I'll have a look and see
    can I understand what they're suggesting. It's sounded like DSM to me so far

I've already outlined this issue now twice in the previous 2 pages in this thread and I'm getting a bit tired of repeating myself. It has nothing to do with DSM so can we drop that particular line

This is massively complicated but it basically comes down to a handful of interactions (and is not just limited to wind). I'd encourage you to do some reading around on this as I'm running off memory/giving the gist.

1.) Eirgrid has a statutory duty to accept all reasonable connection requests (generators or demand) of a certain scale. If they say no, they need to be able to prove they can't accommodate it (or they're legally on the hook). Smaller stuff tends to be handled by ESB instead.

2.) A lot of smaller wind farms are distribution (small local level lines) connected rather than transmission (big country spanning lines) connected. This means that ESB are responsible for the connection as DSO rather than Eirgrid as TSO and there may not be transmission capacity to send power outside the local area. These are called non-firm connections.

3.) Eirgrid has a statutory obligation to run a reliable, economic and efficient transmission system. This means that if they leave a bunch of generation stranded (like the non-firm wind farms mentioned earlier), when they could build transmission lines to use them, they're on the hook legally again.

4.) This is further complicated by a set of legal agreements around infrastructure between ESB and Eirgrid which basically mean Eirgrid has to prove it's not technically feasible to make transmission reinforcements to support a project before they can say no to it.

5.) Eirgrid and ESB are mandated to follow government policy (as a result of having their shareholder be the government). Government policy is being informed by the 2020 EU targets on energy which mean ESB and Eirgrid are legally required to plan accordingly as system operators and have operational strategy in place for 40% renewable energy.

These 5 points all interact with one another to mean ESB and Eirgrid have to facilitate wind connections and build accordingly.

).[/QUOTE]

Sounds like too many unaccountable quangos are running the show here like SEI,CER in addition to Eirgrid. They bare a large part of the blame for current government energy policies as government ministers in the area simply regurgitate what they hear from the top table of these organisations - none more so then the current minister who was badly exposed on his lack of knowledge in this area on RTE radio, just 2 weeks ago during a discussion on wind farms and related grid issues . As for EU targets. The EU Directive actually states an overall 20% target across all energy users, the 40% target on electricity is an add on thanks to Eamon Ryans ego while in government. Like what the UK and other governments in Eastern Europe have done, that latter target can be re-negotiated as it is not binding under the Directive. In any case the problem here is the governments fixation with wind in the power grid above anything else in this area and ignores much opportunity in generation from agri-waste, sustaineable biomass production on worked out BNM bogs, domestic micro-generation etc. Like everything else in this country though, such things are usually shaped by the strongest vested interests and not for the overall good of the country.

My own opinion is that many EU directives in this area will be revised anyway in the coming years as the cost implications for the industrial base in many member states, growing complaints about energy poverty etc. become more into focus with each passing year. Indeed many of my links in this thread refer to such growing issues in many EU states.

PS: Another issue here is Eirgrid offering connections to wind farm projects that don't even have planning permission yet. This doesn't exactly inspire faith in a planning process that already has lost a lot of public confidence over the years.

• Advertisement

Wholesale prices tell us very little about the cost implications of wind on a grid - to extend that logic we might as well say wind power is free...scarily many proponents of wind energy actually believe that!!

You can adjust the market price to account for the cost of wind - it's a pretty straightforward calculation.

As for wind being free, it's important to draw a distinction between having zero short run marginal cost and not costing money.

Now, that aside, even assuming that wholesale was a poor indicator of retail price, you'd expect the retail prices in a competitive market to converge tightly. This doesn't happen in the Irish electricity market - which as we discussed earlier helps to explain the high average retail price of electricity.
    The Danes seem to be loosing faith in that particular model

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/07/denmark-backs-away-from-green-energy/

The original article is better. Daily Caller is pretty dodgy.

The Danish situation is a bit strange to say the least - the current government (Venstre) is a minority government and it's not entirely clear that their current policies (balancing the budget by slashing and burning research funding across the board and immigration/social security) are particularly popular. Since they've been in power less than six months, too early to say either way.
    I've already outlined this issue now twice in the previous 2 pages in this thread and I'm getting a bit tired of repeating myself. It has nothing to do with DSM so can we drop that particular line

I'm asking for a verbatim quote or transcript as I think something is getting lost along the way. If you want to drop it, no bother.

Sounds like too many unaccountable quangos are running the show here like SEI,CER in addition to Eirgrid.

I'm no fan of quangos but I'm not sure Eirgrid and CER as electricity reg meet the definition (they're not government funded). SEAI have a range of functions relating to research and energy efficiency grants - nothing particularly controversial.

That aside, Eirgrid and CER both perform vital aspects of running the power system. Eirgrid is TSO and MO - without those functions, we've no operational power system. CER is a watchdog that prevents blatant market abuse by participants. Which of those functions shouldn't exist and would you trust a market participant with any of them?
    They bare a large part of the blame for current government energy policies as government ministers in the area simply regurgitate what they hear from the top table of these organisations - none more so then the current minister who was badly exposed on his lack of knowledge in this area on RTE radio, just 2 weeks ago during a discussion on wind farms and related grid issues .

I don't buy that - a poorly briefed minister is the responsibility of his civil servants.

As for EU targets. The EU Directive actually states an overall 20% target across all energy users, the 40% target on electricity is an add on thanks to Eamon Ryans ego while in government.

It's more a function of the basic structure of our energy demand. Ireland traded off heat and transport targets (which we basically had no chance of meeting) for more renewable electrical generation to feed in to them.

We've a low population density compared to most of Europe with relatively mild winters. This screws with our heating target (no district heating or cogeneration to convert) and our transport target (large long range vehicle load).

That aside, I'm pretty sure a 20% CO2 reduction would have been the smarter policy for the EU to put in place - and let the countries sort out how to do that themselves whether by renewable energy, demand reduction or whatever.
    In any case the problem here is the governments fixation with wind in the power grid above anything else in this area and ignores much opportunity in generation from agri-waste, sustaineable biomass production on worked out BNM bogs, domestic micro-generation etc. Like everything else in this country though, such things are usually shaped by the strongest vested interests and not for the overall good of the country.

Microgeneration yes, biomass - not really. The napkin math on it looks very bad - we couldn't even begin to approach 20% of any target with the arable land in Ireland (and that's with gutting our agricultural industry). MacKay has some good bits on this.

Advertisement