Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am looking for ( x ) in Galway city&county

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

All methods for quicker retrieval of a package are listed on the site with the parcel tracking number, for sending packages out via DHL you can do that in a Post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Thanks. Had a missed delivery yesterday but it was actually An Post that delivered, not DHL. There was no mention of An Post anywhere on the delivery. Several phone calls later and finally got a delivery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi,

I need the rear brake pads replaced in my car before a 230km journey in the coming days

Is anyone aware of any place in Galway open on 26th, 27th or 28th December that would do this? (I know part will have to be ordered in first etc which will cause extra time)

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think you might have a better chance of renting a Go Car

• Registered Users Posts: 25,714 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They do have a GoFar option, but even so 230km is a lot once you're paying for mileage - and bookings are hard to get now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

Rang about 15 places yesterday. As expected, most were not open. Ones that were open were only doing pure tyre work.

In the end Craughwell tyres did the job, so kudos to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

What's happening with the food truck in Riverside? the pink one opposite the tile shop. I've not seen them open for ages and I can't find any social media for them.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I’m looking for an affordable storage facility in or near the city. Barrons are looking for €400/month for a 100 square foot space , which seems very high

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Looking for a recommendation for someone to service an electric Henderson garage roller door . I’m on east side of city .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rustyfrog

I get occasional cravings for the Spud House, formerly of Lwr Newcastle. Is there anywhere in the city doing good loaded baked potatoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

I’m looking for a floor (laminates) fitter. I need someone who comes highly recommeneded and ideally I’d be able to go and check out a previous piece of work they’d done. The reason I’m being “demanding”, if that is the right word, is that I know someone who has just had their floor fitted and it was a scarcely believable nightmare for her, with two different tradesmen involved and neither one of them did a good job of it. And once it’s done, there is no turning back. So now I’m feeling spooked altogether.

I want someone who can make the floor “flow” through the area, rather than putting in deviders between the rooms, and who will take care to cut the planks to fit well, rather than ending up leaving gaps between the floor and the skirting boards (!). Also, they preferably won’t be in such a hurry wrenching the skirting boards off the walls that they make holes in the walls (yes, that happened as well…..).

TIA

I’m looking for a good floor (laminates) fitter. I need someone who comes highly recommeneded and ideally I’d be able to go and check out a previous piece of work they’d done. The reason I’m being “demanding”, if that is the right word, is that I know someone who has just had their floor fitted and it was a scarcely believable nightmare for her, with two different tradesmen involved and neither one of them did a good job of it. And once it’s done, there is no turning back. So now I’m feeling spooked altogether.

I want someone who can make the floor “flow” through the area, rather than putting in dividers between the rooms, and who will take care to cut the planks to fit well, rather than ending up leaving gaps between the floor and the skirting boards (!). Also, they preferably won’t be in such a hurry wrenching the skirting boards off the walls that they make holes in the walls (yes, that happened as well…..).

TIA

Edit: people can PM me with a recommendation if preferable.

Post edited by geekychick on

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ottolwinner

roof cleaning on a 2floor building. Possibly using scaffolding to access. Any recommended?

@geekychick do supplier companies of the flooring not have a list of reputable fitters?

Yes, in the above-mentioned case one of the fitters came recommeneded by the supplier, however he was the one who made a hole in the wall. I’d say the guys who get work via these suppliers are very busy as they get recommended to most people buying the flooring, so they rush through jobs like there is no tomorrow, and I’m not up for dealing with the potential for damage to the property that is inherent in that approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

i got laminate flooring from Tom Demspeys a few years ago and they arranged a carpenter to fit them. My floors are uneven and i'm happy with how they went down. Hopefully your issues haven't come from the same place! I'll PM you his info if you like.

Leaving gaps between the floor and the skirting boards is bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I don't have a fitter I can recommend, but I did have a similar situation recently, and I can attest to the stress. We spent a fortune on expensive flooring, but the carpenter working for our builder made a mess of fitting them. If I could go back in time, I'd pay the place I bought the flooring from to fit it.

Regarding the skirting - depending on how they were fixed to the walls, and how long they had been in place, it can be difficult and damaging to remove them, so I would forgive the fitter on that front. Gaps between boards however is another situation.

Thank you, Ronnie. I’m so sorry to read about your experience - the kind I’m eager to avoid here.

I’m very conscious not to clog up the thread with my fretting and moaning, though. 😂

Any convo or recommendations or ideas, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have done a good bit of research into laying laminate flooring as I was doing it myself when we moved into our house.

From what I researched gaps between the floor and the wall, or in this case the skirting board, is necessary. If I remember correctly this is to allow for some movement in the boards that can be caused by temperature changes. This is also why the boards should be left where they are going to be played for a couple of days to acclimatise to the room.

However there should be no visible gap after the fitting as the installer should tell you this before the job and recommend either covering with a beading or the completely replace the skirting. You could reuse the existing skirting but as noted earlier depending on how it was attached previously this can be tricky.

We are actually getting new flooring this year and I plan of just replacing the skirting on top of the new floor for a cleaner finish

Looking for a place to recycle wetsuits and neoprene clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Can anyone recommend any good online or in person(in the city) excel courses?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Any builder recommendations for a knock-through from sitting room to adjoining room? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ctomas

Anyone have house cleaner recommendations? Weekly for about 3 or 4 hours, in Claregalway area. PM me please!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭cr-07

Looking for someone who can supply and fit an EV home charger that is reasonably priced - Galway city area.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭maniac2003

Anyone able to recommend a good pest controller for south galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

I've recommended Cathal from Westpest here previously. I presume he will travel to South Galway

Advertisement