Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free wedding!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

lazygal wrote: »
    Ha I thought that too! But I've noticed it a lot on this show, couples living together who have kids going on about how they only want a church wedding because they're the mother/mother in lawis really religious.

FYP :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

How do they manage to get a marriage licence in a few days/3 weeks as the registrar requires notice for this. Guess the fact they are going on tv they get around it.
    Also the bride always days at the dress scene " I wont wear it if I dont like it absolutely no way" then proceeds to say in every episode " god he knows me better then I know myself"
    Scripted to hell, would be much more entertining if they didnt and just see their natural reaction to everything

I've always wondered about that too. I take it the pre-marriage course also has to be done if they're getting married in church? And the priest is probably tipped off. I don't know of any priests prepared to marry a couple in a hurry. Particularly if he doesn't know the couple...

Anyway - don't watch it any more, neither this nor the UK version. Boring, boring, boring. Same thing every time as pointed out several times on this thread.

Mind you - I often wonder whether that couple who married in Vegas are still together. I bet the answer's no. The guy was a complete plank. She should've left him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I'd love to see one where everything went wrong! Now that would be entertainment!

Wedding car broken down
    Cake thrown from three storey hotel room the night before by drunken lout
    Dress doesn't fit
    Rings get lost
    The whole show was a joke and they aren't really paying and leave the couple with the bill

That kind of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

As long as viewers keep tuning in to watch what's more or less the same show every week just with d different faces, then the producers will continue to make it.
    This is the problem with reality TV. Even my own favourite Judge. Judy relies on the same story every time.
    Smart girl loans/gifts deadbeat boyfriend money to buy/fix car. Boyfriend cheats on girl and they split. Vengeful girl wants money back boyfriend says bog off it was a gift. Still like Judy though.!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

sunbeam wrote: »
    I'd love to see an episode where the bride refuses point blank to wear the dress and all hell breaks loose.

Has happened at least 2ce on the UK version. Absolute hysteria and she got to pick different dress.
    Also has happened that they were allowed to see each other on one because of some big family issue.
    Dolbert wrote: »
    It's happened where the bride hated it so much that she was allowed to exchange it.

I wonder if the couple from the Vegas episode are still together? That was horrendous eek.png

Yeah, he was a bit of a to$$er... I just couldn't believe it. I really don't think they played that up for the show, her tears and upset seemed really genuine.
    Anyway - don't watch it any more, neither this nor the UK version. Boring, boring, boring. Same thing every time as pointed out several times on this thread.

This.... It's gotten a lot more formulaic. It was fine the first season, maybe even second. Now everyone knows pretty much what's gonna happen, as per kkcatlou's formula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Can the vegas one be seen online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

littlelulu wrote: »
    Can the vegas one be seen online?

Think that's it? I'm on my mobile so I can't view it http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00v3hxf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Neyite wrote: »
    Do you mean for the programme? Oh I'd say there is a very limited pool for the groom to choose from.

I know I asked 3 different bridal shops and they were prepared to turn me away and lose a sale because they couldnt get my dress any quicker. I even asked yer wan in Pronuptia what women who get married in less than three months do and she just shrugged and said 'monsoon?' :D

Maybe I was looking in the wrong shops - I daresay I'd find a dress all right, but if you have your heart set on a particular one or were a larger size you'd have to wait for one on order.

Still, mine was worth the wait. :)

I mean in general... you can go some (not all) bridal shops and they'll have sale dresses and off the peg dresses. A friend of ours bought her wedding dress off the peg up the north :)

If you want a specific dress made to order though you do have to be prepared to wait. The girl in Perfect Day in Belfast told me it would be 6 months for dress to come in and then a few weeks if any alterations were needed which is why I need to go try on the dress I have in mind by the end of this month or I wouldn't have it on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Saw one on BBC last night where they got married in Magaluff on a beach full of sunbathing strangers, then had their reception in an English sports bar (the dodgy, holiday strip kind) with food supplied by the chippie over the street (you had to go get it). He spent 40 quid on the most god awful white sundress for the bride, then caved and bought her another god awful, but fancier dress (still wasn't a wedding dress, more like a cocktail dress off My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding...she didn't like it) after a big deal was made by the bridesmaids over the state of their dresses. (In fairness, their dresses were vile - they cost £16 from a stall in Wigan market and two bridesmaids pulled out over them - and they were worried about what he was putting the bride in!)

She wanted to get married in England in a fancy period house. She got married in the tackiest possible alternative. Seemed happy enough after a brief spat over the pub (I think because she was drunk - she said she needed to be the have her wedding reception there!) First time I've seen the newlyweds on that show anything less than blissful about whatever mess he groom has organised.

I'd have fecking killed him. I couldn't handle that show. Even if you gave the groom an exact to-do list the producers would mess it up some how to make it more tv friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

yep, saw that one. Was on in the background, but I just had to close my eyes when the dresses came out. The guy didn't come across well at all and I felt sorry for the girl, cos she really didn't like her dress but went with it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd do this in a heartbeat, my OH goes to my local lingerie boutique to buy me underwear on the odd occasion he does as he doesn't know my size.

We'd not be the right wedding though, we both want a registry office affair with a small family party :)

They do all kinds of weddings. You should do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

'Course you could have an almost free wedding if you put your mind to it - one of our original plans was to do a pot-luck in my parent's very large back garden, didn't have to balls to do it in the end!

Or you could just have the ceremony at 6pm and follow with finger food and dancing - no meal required :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Saw one on BBC last night where they got married in Magaluff on a beach full of sunbathing strangers, then had their reception in an English sports bar (the dodgy, holiday strip kind) with food supplied by the chippie over the street (you had to go get it). He spent 40 quid on the most god awful white sundress for the bride, then caved and bought her another god awful, but fancier dress (still wasn't a wedding dress, more like a cocktail dress off My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding...she didn't like it) after a big deal was made by the bridesmaids over the state of their dresses. (In fairness, their dresses were vile - they cost £16 from a stall in Wigan market and two bridesmaids pulled out over them - and they were worried about what he was putting the bride in!)

She wanted to get married in England in a fancy period house. She got married in the tackiest possible alternative. Seemed happy enough after a brief spat over the pub (I think because she was drunk - she said she needed to be the have her wedding reception there!) First time I've seen the newlyweds on that show anything less than blissful about whatever mess he groom has organised.

I'd have fecking killed him. I couldn't handle that show. Even if you gave the groom an exact to-do list the producers would mess it up some how to make it more tv friendly.

Was watching that one too, trying to fight the urge to throw things at the TV! What an absolute tool.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Just went onto Youtube to have a look at some of the disasters (inspired by this thread :D)

There's one couple in England I found very funny..

Jordans horse and carriage... and she was delighted with herself.. I'll say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

If the Irish show was like this, at least it'd be entertaining, rather than just rehashing the same formula every week! You've made me want to youtube it now!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

WTF did he spend the rest of his budget on??

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Toots* wrote: »
    WTF did he spend the rest of his budget on??

Flimsy t-shirts and steroids, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Dolbert wrote: »
    'Course you could have an almost free wedding if you put your mind to it - one of our original plans was to do a pot-luck in my parent's very large back garden, didn't have to balls to do it in the end!

Or you could just have the ceremony at 6pm and follow with finger food and dancing - no meal required :)

Both sound great to me.

Advertisement